Author Topic: July Signature Auction  (Read 29221 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: July Signature Auction
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2011, 11:13:26 AM »
I did not even notice that werewolf, then again I was a bit distracted by winning my first and as it turned out my only win. i don't have a Fukushima Mon Amour exhibit for nothing:

I especially like the effrontery that says directed by TERRY MORSE and I. HONDA, as if the ill directed americanizing sequence with Raymond Burr is more important

Congrats - very very cool!

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2011, 12:50:23 PM »
Awesome Godzilla Wim. Should fit in nicely at the gallery.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2011, 01:21:15 PM »
;D

The bashing linen backing gets does seem to be over the top. I am seven strong in that dept now and I think they are all beautiful.  

I wasn't bashing linen per se.  I was bashing the fact that they took a poster whose value was substantially in the fact that it was double sided, and obliterated the obverse side by backing it.  I don't believe that the original condition of the poster was so bad that it warranted backing.  Certainly, backing is otherwise a personal thing, and personally I hate it.  But on this item, it was simply uncalled for.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2011, 01:39:01 PM »
I wasn't bashing linen per se.  I was bashing the fact that they took a poster whose value was substantially in the fact that it was double sided, and obliterated the obverse side by backing it.  I don't believe that the original condition of the poster was so bad that it warranted backing.  Certainly, backing is otherwise a personal thing, and personally I hate it.  But on this item, it was simply uncalled for.

I know and I agree 100% with you on that piece and also agree with most that posters that dont really need it really shouldnt have it.

I have not had anything backed yet. I bought my lb posters that way.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2011, 02:10:22 PM »
in my collection, not counting  lobby cards, I have about 2000 posters of various sizes from various countries.

I might have 50 posters on linen (as small as WC as large as 3sheets and Thierry hates "French Grande"s)
I can only think of 2 that I sent out for backing myself (my 1952 Kong 1sh which had been framed under glass for 20 years, it got brittle and a silent era poster that I wanted to display that was seriously damaged). any other lb poster I have was acquired that way and pretty much each item is rare, or the poster was very cheap. I also have large formats that were acquired that way.

I would not generally buy these posters on linen unless the scarcity meant I may not find another copy, like my Thierry hates "French Grande"s for Orpheus (I have 2 diff), a Blue Dahlia WC, Brasher Doubloon Australian 1sh etc.

any common, or reasonably acquirable poster I can wait. I may buy alot of posters, but I have even more patience than "mania", so when I pass something, or even when I lose an auction, I rarely if ever get bent out of shape over it.. If I never get a Double Indemnity 1sh, I can say that on my deathbed I'm not going to say "I didn't get that Double Indemnity poster" as that last breath leaves me. I'm more likely to say "I thought Michelle Pfeiffer was coming by to give me a farewell hummer dammit"

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2011, 02:11:59 PM »
I should add, I do have maybe 10 1sheets that should be and I have intended to get restored. If you saw the condition and understood why I want to display them, you'd know why they should be backed. Otherwise, I'll suffer in silence

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2011, 02:35:13 PM »
I thought that overall the auction was very soft, I know that in several cases I made purchases where I wasn't even planning on bidding on the item (but of course a few items I was most interested in had very strong bids).
Did manage to pick up at least one spotlighted piece:

"whoa" -Keannu Reeves

That about sums it up.  Is that for your personal collection?  It will probably look great next to your '47 Drac!  Congrats.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2011, 02:40:16 PM »
Set of 4 OS Black Swans went for $1550   

I got mine for $200 shipped from Ireland woohoo

Of course overall in this hobby I've lost my ass  hitself

But small victories go a long way :)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2011, 03:12:13 PM »

we've all taken losses of some kind somewhere.

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2011, 04:04:38 PM »
what happened to Stew's post??

-------

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2011, 04:09:45 PM »
what happened to Stew's post??

I deleted it.
I felt it may have been Inappropriate..

Stew
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 04:14:33 PM by stewart boyle »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2011, 04:16:05 PM »
After a few big purchases over the past year (and a baby!), I was keeping a pretty low profile this sig auction.  I did pick up this country of origin 4-foglio though... I'm a huge Pontecorvo fan and BOA is my favorite.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2011, 04:17:08 PM »
I deleted it.
I felt it may have been Inappropriate..

Stew

I didn't see anything inappropriate

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2011, 04:26:30 PM »
I hate to be the one to point it out but if it is a hobby why are you worried about losing your ass?  If you liked the posters you bought, who can fault you?  I refuse to let this forum or anyone tell me what to buy and for how much.  Like that stupid 50k poster; I could care less, it does nothing for me.  Frankenstein and werewolves who cares?

If you are buying and you have to satisfy some monetary investment characteristics, you'll likely end up with a bunch of fine investments; none which you like.  If you like a film or poster then so be it.  It is only when money starts to effect your passion does it actually destroy the artistic aspects of the hobby.... Keep going this way and everyone will all have the same collection, want list, and for sell list.  Sometimes I think I should have stayed away, collecting in silence, as I have started to feel compelled to buy these MondoWondo prints and $1,000 frankenpire posters... 

Jane Russel is a different animal all together though; I wouldn't mind having a few of those...

Charlie... I think you mistook Rich's response to Mel's statement about "losing his ass" all wrong.
Mel is the one claiming to have "lost his ass."
Rich was consoling Mel with a blanket statement, "we've all taken losses of some kind somewhere."
Rich wasn't 'worrying.'
Just my two cents.

As for Sean's "stupid 50k" WEREWOLF OF LONDON....Fucking BRAVO, Sean!
What a piece of history -- the first werewolf film ever made and a damn fine movie to boot.
Maybe you Charlie, don't like "FRANKENSTEIN and werewolves" and that's your prerogative. 
I don't do "Bond, Eastwood or Aronofsky" and that's mine.

There's plenty of genres and stars to collect and that is what is cool about this hobby. 
Everybody's collection is somewhat unique.

I do agree with you about value -- real and perceived.  If I want to know how much someone paid for their paper, I'll send 'em a pm. It irritates me to no end when I see braggarts on this and other forums touting their paper and how much money they paid for it. The number of emails I get echoing this sentiment is huge. 

Back to Sean's WEREWOLF.  He is not bragging. This is a sale of historic significance by a collector who takes this hobby extremely seriously.  I don't feel that his post was anything but informational.  He seems tight-lipped about what he owns and how much he paid for any of it.  He achieved a dream by obtaining a piece of memorabilia most of us would give our eye teeth for.  More power to him.

So, enjoy your paper!  thumbup

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2011, 04:33:57 PM »
Charlie... I think you mistook Rich's response to Mel's statement about "losing his ass" all wrong.
Rich was consoling Mel with a blanket statement, "we've all taken losses of some kind somewhere."
Rich wasn't 'worrying.'
Just my two cents.

What a piece of history -- the first werewolf film ever made and a damn fine movie to boot.
Maybe you Charlie, don't like "FRANKENSTEIN and werewolves" and that's your prerogative. 

There's plenty of genres and stars to collect and that is what is cool about this hobby. 

I do agree with you about value -- real and perceived.  If I want to know how much someone paid for their paper, I'll send 'em a pm. It irritates me to no end when I see braggarts on this and other forums touting their paper and how much money they paid for it. The number of emails I get echoing this sentiment is huge. 

Back to Sean's WEREWOLF.  He is not bragging. This is a sale of historic significance by a collector who takes this hobby extremely seriously.  I don't feel that his post was anything but informational.  He seems tight-lipped about what he owns and how much he paid for any of it.  He achieved a dream by obtaining a piece of memorabilia most of us would give our eye teeth for.  More power to him.

A perfect example of why I deleted my response,At some point,a more knowledgable Member will be able to say what i tried to express.
Stew

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2011, 04:38:07 PM »
Set of 4 OS Black Swans went for $1550   

I got mine for $200 shipped from Ireland woohoo

But small victories go a long way :)

Absolutely ridiculous.  You really have to be careful with these auctions.  Unless you purchase a rare piece (hard to find anywhere else) like Sean did, the rest is crazily inflated.  Mel's purchase of Black Swan is one example.  Another one: 2 months ago, I purchased this poster for $800.

It just sold at Ha for $2,200.  Which is why I don't bid on their signature auctions.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

raulleaf

« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2011, 04:40:42 PM »
Rich wasn't 'worrying.'
Just my two cents.

My bad, I was not attempting to call Sean's poster stupid; I've deleted the post.  My intention was to say if we are all hobbyist then the cost and losses shouldn't matter.  There I go sticking my foot in my mouth.  I should concentrate on my collection rather than interjecting on others...   hitself

My deepest apologies Sean, your a serious collector and I did not mean to diminish your outstanding purchase!

raulleaf

« Reply #92 on: July 17, 2011, 04:44:25 PM »
Well, I "won" the NM+ condition Barbarella Style B for $1,075, the second most expensive poster I've ever purchased.  (Of course, not sure if blowing most of my discretionary income on posters is "winning.")  This poster is the ultimate 1960s poster. It does sell cheaper so I'm paying extra for the exceptional condition:

Barbarella (Paramount, 1968). One Sheet (27" X 41") Style B.

In later years, Jane Fonda was embarrassed about starring as the sexually naive Barbarella in this science-fiction film for husband and director Roger Vadim. However, the film is so incredibly popular that Barbarella may prove to be Fonda's most memorable role. This very rare style B one sheet is also quite important for its "pop-art" motif, reflecting the 1960's psychedelic look of the era that created it. Of the few copies Heritage has handled over the years, this may be the best copy we've ever seen. Near Mint+.

What happen to Janey? (Not Fonda)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 04:44:52 PM by raulleaf »

Bruce

« Reply #93 on: July 17, 2011, 05:11:52 PM »
I remember when I traded for that Werewolf of London insert (almost surely the exact same one) back in 1989 or so. What I gave was very valuable, but I doubt today it would sell for what that insert did.

I need a time machine so I can go back to 1989 and make some more trades!

Bruce

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #94 on: July 17, 2011, 05:46:49 PM »
  Well I finally got one. Not exactly a classic, but it floats my boat.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Buena Vista, 1988). Gold Mylar One Sheet (27" X 41") Jessica Rabbit Style D.
Directed by Robert Zemeckis and winner of four Oscars, this fantasy-comedy features a terrific ensemble cast, including Bob Hoskins, Christopher Lloyd, Joanna Cassidy, Charles Fleischer, and as the super-sultry voice of Jessica Rabbit, Kathleen Turner. Simply gorgeous, this Gold Mylar "Jessica" one sheet is difficult to find, especially in this stellar condition. Rolled, Mint

Here it is:

« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 06:24:26 PM by ATLfun »
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2011, 05:50:16 PM »
So I took the "buy 2500+ and pay over four months" from Heritage. I'll have these paid off by the end of September, unless the government shuts down or I get laid off due to the budget battles, in which case I'm totally screwed. With those caveats, in addition to the Barbarella Style B, I picked up the following at reasonable prices at the auction.  (And yes I did my due diligence on all of them and paid "not unreasonable/typical auction" prices for them.  I overpaid somewhat for the Gimme Shelter and underpaid for the Underwater - only $240!)

Gimme Shelter (20th Century Fox, 1970). One Sheet (27" X 41").
The horrific events at the Altamont Speedway were all captured on cameras by brothers Albert and David Maysles. Their footage would spell the beginning of the end for the "peace/love" era in America just four months after Woodstock. Many consider this film second only to Woodstock in underlining the disparate mix of art and reality in the music of the 1960s. While it chronicles one of the darkest days in the history of rock and roll, it also captures the Rolling Stones, the longest lived rock band in history, at their prime, and makes this high grade flat-folded poster, done in almost a "black-light" style, a "must" for any true rock collector. Near Mint/Mint.

Go Ape! (20th Century Fox, 1974). Television One Sheet (27" X 41"): The fans of the immensely popular Planet of the Apes movies got a gift from CBS when the network began telecasting a TV series in 1974. This poster for that series is extremely rare as they were sent primarily to TV stations in local markets. The poster most collectors are familiar with is the compilation one sheet that lists all five of the feature films that were re-released in 1974. Near Mint.

Voodoo Woman (American International, 1957). One Sheet (27" X 41"): This horrific one sheet still stands as a testament to what can be accomplished with a dash of courage and creativity! The "monster" for this film wasn't working at all, so creature creator extraordinaire, Paul Blaisdell, grabbed the costume he'd made for She Creature, ripped off the tail, fins, and pincer claws, then took the cracked stone scale body that was left, wrapped it in a burlap sarong, and topped it with a skull mask and a big blond wig! The director then dutifully dubbed in a roaring lion's low growl for the right effect! No 1950s collection is complete without a matched pair of She Creature and Voodoo Woman one sheets framed side by side. And who did better sexy woman graphics on horror/sci-fi posters than legendary poster artist Albert Kallis? There are pinholes in the corners and artwork, edge wear, fold wear with some tearing in the center crossfold, and an extra top horizontal fold. Fine+.

Easy Rider (Columbia, 1969). One Sheet (27" X 41") Style C: Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper, and Jack Nicholson star in this generational cult classic. Wyatt (Fonda) and Billy (Hopper) set out on their motorcycles to go to Mardi Gras, and find America in the process. This one sheet is in very presentable condition, with only faint tape stains in the upper corners, a crossfold separation with very slight paper loss, light smudging in the bottom border, and a small tear in the top vertical fold. Fine+.

From Russia with Love (United Artists, 1964). One Sheet (27" X 41") Style B: The second film in the hallowed James Bond series is hailed by many as its pinnacle. This exceptional flat-folded example of the eye-catching B-style has virtually no flaws, and is one of the cleanest examples of this sheet you're likely to encounter. Near Mint/Mint.

And last but most definitely not least....

Underwater! (RKO, 1955). One Sheet (27" X 41"): Sold as an underwater, treasure-seeking adventure, Underwater!'s real attraction was Jane Russell in a bathing suit. In Superscope, no less! The poster had pinholes in the corners and the image and chips in two corners, issues that have been addressed with professional restoration, including touch-ups to the folds. Fine/Very Fine on Linen.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 05:52:50 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #96 on: July 17, 2011, 06:20:34 PM »

Ooooops, my bad. Just checked in with my snipes and I did win a second poster.

Raging Bull (United Artists, 1980). One Sheet (27" X 41") Advance.
Robert DeNiro gave one of his most searing performances (and was rewarded with an Oscar) as Jake LaMotta in this critically-acclaimed Martin Scorsese drama. Offered here is the striking advance poster, with terrific artwork of a battered Bobby. Slight edge wear and some bends in the top corners are the only condition issues to note. Rolled, Near Mint-.

"Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2011, 06:21:39 PM »
Nice buys Mel,

I was tempted to bid on the Go APE and Underwater, but there were too many unusual items and serious steals to be had. So I focused on those. In my opinion these ones are absolute steals:

This not so much a steal, but a nice buy seeing the rising prices in fifties SF:

And absolutely indispensable for my Jane Greer collection these never seen before quartet of doorpanels:

• Post-aholic
« Reply #98 on: July 17, 2011, 06:27:32 PM »
I remember when I traded for that Werewolf of London insert (almost surely the exact same one) back in 1989 or so. What I gave was very valuable, but I doubt today it would sell for what that insert did.

I need a time machine so I can go back to 1989 and make some more trades!
Bruce

well, maybe.
youneeded to keep the insert first to make the trip worthwhile

wynk

-------

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #99 on: July 17, 2011, 06:47:07 PM »
Nice Underwater Mel  thumbup