Author Topic: July Signature Auction  (Read 28833 times)

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
July Signature Auction
« on: July 09, 2011, 11:45:54 PM »

Since we are a week out, I thought the timing was right to start a thread about the upcoming Heritage event.  I sat through a Heritage Live coin auction last week just to make sure that my software was installed properly and I knew how things worked.

This item caught my eye because it was so active.  The Escape from New York advance is already over $500.  Here is the link:

http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7040&lotNo=83607

I know it is the highest rated advance in Heritage's history for this title, but I am still a little surprised.

Brian
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
Re: July Signature Auction
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 01:18:29 AM »
  I am amazed at this auction item.  It seems risque for the time period, I wish it was cheaper. ;D

« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 10:57:29 PM by ATLfun »
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 01:30:08 AM »
Aaaahhhh....Raquel Welch, my all-time favorite screen siren.
Mighty fine price so far...

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 03:46:48 AM »
  I am amazed at this auction item.  It seems risque for the time period, I wish it was cheaper. ;D

http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7040&lotNo=83406

I think I know partly why that pic is a high price... It is a damn difficult pose to get successfully on film. How often do you get to see this pose well done amongst all the nudity that is out there? - next to never.

In my nefarious past (10 years ago), I photographed lots of models to practice artistic nudes photography.( I was trying to take photos that were wholesome enough to be suitable for display at home... honest governor). I hired photo studios and models in London (incl page 3 girls), most every weekend for a year! Well, getting to the point, that photo reminds me of the exact pose that I tried models to replicate without success. So many other shots I replicated successfully from heaps of photography books, but that one, aaaargh,... too difficult. I talked to a photographer that seemed to photograph models naked it seemed every minute of his waking life (sigh...), and he said it was near impossible to success pull it off, so to speak. If anyone knows the trick, please let me know! Must have had something to do with the ratio of shoulders to hips, or a long back more than likely, or right thickness legs  ::shrugs::  Here is the pic I was working to, to try to replicate:

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 03:52:51 AM »
yours looks good steve, the only real difference I think is (well apart from the talent) Raquel looks relaxed and natural, yours looks a little rigid and posed. But a good shot, can we see more?
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 04:40:50 AM »
Hi Ari, I didnt take that shot above, that was the shot I was trying to replicate without success  :'(

Well here are some I did take myself:

Here is one wholesome one for general viewing:
models_claire_standing_l.jpg

The rest - Not suitable for general Exhibition eg kids I guess.
Hooked up a 10m long chain thingy out of site behind back to look like a necklace

models_laura_silhouette_l.jpg

models_laura_45_l

« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 06:35:43 PM by 50s »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 08:03:10 AM »
Thanks for the peek at your nefarious past, Steve.  Those are fine exposures (no pun intended.).

I just noticed that the item on auction is a special 14x22 window card.
It amazes me that such a provocative pose would've been produced for use as a window card back in '66.
Most WCs were placed in the front windows of laundromats, news stands, candy stores, soda fountains, etc., in local neighborhoods.
I can imagine that many of these disappeared as soon as they were put up -- if they even made it that far as many shop owners probably would've rejected the notion of putting that much skin in their store windows.
Interesting piece of movie memorabilia.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 08:21:28 AM »
Thanks for the peek at your nefarious past, Steve.  Those are fine exposures (no pun intended.).

I just noticed that the item on auction is a special 14x22 window card.
It amazes me that such a provocative pose would've been produced for use as a window card back in '66.
Most WCs were placed in the front windows of laundromats, news stands, candy stores, soda fountains, etc., in local neighborhoods.
I can imagine that many of these disappeared as soon as they were put up -- if they even made it that far as many shop owners probably would've rejected the notion of putting that much skin in their store windows.
Interesting piece of movie memorabilia.

I agree.  As the son of a portrait photographer I think those are first rate.

I don't think that the card is a true window card.   It may be the correct size, but it doesn't promote the movie, except in tiny script at the bottom.  This is the sort of stuff studios sent out in small quantities to promote the film to exhibitors.  Rare, yes, but not what it is represented as.
-Jay-

Bruce

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 09:19:40 AM »
Jay

I couldn't agree more! Here is what I added when I auctioned one of these:

"Note that this special advance poster is printed on one-sheet paper stock, but it measures exactly 14" x 22", the size of a window card. We would imagine the studio made it that size so that theaters could order bunches of these posters, and then display them around town in window card frames (but displaying this poster seems incredibly risque for 1966 America!). Certainly, we can understand why 20th Century-Fox would think that a completely naked Raquel Welch would get LOTS of people to go to this movie, but we would think this poster caused a furor wherever it was displayed!"

What is sad is that this is not Ancient Egypt we are talking about. If anyone cared, one could likely track down someone who was connected to this ad campaign and discover exactly how this was distributed, and where (it may have been used solely internationally).

Bruce

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 05:42:16 PM »

I know, I know...but a last I am sworn to secrecy as to Mel's top wish.  ;D  My only clue would be that it is not a poster that a gay person would be prone display.  Not that there is anything wrong with being gay......

My top two ( which is forever changing, sucks being a newbie ), have yet to garner a bid.  How often do the items in a Signature auction fail to meet the pre-auction estimate.  It seems the pre-auction estimates are pretty close to history on the low end of the estimate and the top end is pretty strong.

Looking forward to my first "live auction."  Boy, I hope my internet is moving fast next weekend.

Brian

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 05:58:29 PM »
I think I know partly why that pic is a high price... It is a damn difficult pose to get successfully on film. How often do you get to see this pose well done amongst all the nudity that is out there? - next to never.

She may not be Raquel but I like your work. In this pic and in the links. The one from the behind is especially nice.  ;D

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 05:59:48 PM »
  It seems the pre-auction estimates are pretty close to history on the low end of the estimate and the top end is pretty strong.

Looking forward to my first "live auction."  Boy, I hope my internet is moving fast next weekend.

Brian

A lot of Heritage's estimates are "pie in the sky."  The auctions are fun and the Internet software is very professional.  The problem is the auctions are interminable.  It takes 6 hours to run through all the lots.   If you're waiting for one particular poster, best to put in a high bid before the pre-bidding closes and just enjoy your weekend.  If you've got the time and money, you can monitor the auctions and snag the stuff that's going low. That's how I grabbed my King Kong Italian 1P last year.  It popped up and wasn't getting any action, so I snagged it for a very good price.

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 09:39:26 PM »

I am a little astounded at the price some of the generic monster posters get.  The Beast form 20,000 fathoms is already past the initial estimate and is currently at $2,700.00.

A fair amount of posters are getting close to their estimates.  I am not sure if that is good or bad for posters you like. I guess guys are trying to mark their territory.

Brian

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 10:04:08 PM »
 I am a little astounded at the price some of the generic monster posters get.  The Beast form 20,000 fathoms is already past the initial estimate and is currently at $2,700.00.

A fair amount of posters are getting close to their estimates.  I am not sure if that is good or bad for posters you like. I guess guys are trying to mark their territory.

Brian

That Beast is a very rare three sheet and superior to the one sheet.  Wouldn't you pay $$$$ for it if you had that kind of money?  

Pic below shows them in correct proportions (41x81 vs. 27x41):

« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 10:05:36 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 12:21:06 AM »
The eye of the beast on the 3 sheet looks out of proportion (too large) and a bit more cartoon-like, compared to the more realistic, reptilian eye on the OS. I prefer the OS, and dont consider it inferior to the 3 sheet in any way. The line of colorized stills at the bottom of the 3-SH detracts, as well, IMO.

It's all about the initial appeal and what draws one in.

Jeff

-Jeff

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 11:27:59 AM »
This 1917 Uncle Sam recruitment poster has blasted through its $4,000 top estimate.  It's at $5,600.  Of course, why is it being sold as part of a movie poster auction?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 02:42:05 PM »
A 3 sheet for MODESTY BLAISE... and with no bids.. still at $1.00

« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 02:43:20 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 02:52:21 PM »
A selection of others, all still reasonably priced.. (sure to change, for sure :'( )

-Jeff

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 08:34:59 PM »
1920 Way Down East - very dramatic:

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 08:39:15 PM »
There are a couple I would love to have a go at, but alas just can't afford it :(
Ves

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 10:51:44 PM »

The big weekend is almost here.   ;D

I really like the set-up that it is real auction.  I have several posters that I like.  I have decided that once I reach my budget that I am not going to watch anymore of the auction. I just hope that get one or two good deals.  Well, off to do some more research.

Brian

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2011, 11:40:18 PM »

So much for the Black Swans.  They are at $956 with almost two days left.  I thought fair market value was closer to 600.

Oh well..............

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2011, 12:08:08 AM »

Well the military posters are doing very well.  Both of them have blown by the auction estimates.

raulleaf

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2011, 01:10:30 AM »
  So much for the Black Swans.  They are at $956 with almost two days left.  I thought fair market value was closer to 600.

Oh well..............

Way to high; you should just try to get them in a private deal..  If the guy has doubles let me know. ;)

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2011, 01:11:10 AM »
  The Davey Crockett standee is near 3500 with the bp figured in. Nearly twice the pre-auction estimate.

Do many of you guys collect standees also?  I know I have a standee of Rocky 3 and Sudden Impact, which I have had since the movies came out.  Now, where they are after 25 years, not really sure?  

Brian
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 01:13:43 AM by ATLfun »