Author Topic: July Signature Auction  (Read 28842 times)

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
Re: July Signature Auction
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2011, 01:15:13 AM »
I know of a guy with a Frankenstien VS. Wolfman standee.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2011, 04:45:36 AM »
When you say "Vs" I guessing we are Not talking about the 1943 Frankenstein MEETS the Wolfman?
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2011, 11:24:32 AM »
When you say "Vs" I guessing we are Not talking about the 1943 Frankenstein MEETS the Wolfman?

Yeah, that's the one!  Sorry, too much wine from a cookout I was at.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2011, 12:12:25 PM »
I've got a couple of bid bids in, including one coming up right at the start. I'll find out soon if I can look forward to being poor for the next couple of months  :P

I wonder how much they paid Adam West for his "pimping Heritage" video :)

« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 12:15:26 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2011, 01:14:07 PM »
Well, I "won" the NM+ condition Barbarella Style B for $1,075, the second most expensive poster I've ever purchased.  (Of course, not sure if blowing most of my discretionary income on posters is "winning.")  This poster is the ultimate 1960s poster. It does sell cheaper so I'm paying extra for the exceptional condition:

Barbarella (Paramount, 1968). One Sheet (27" X 41") Style B.

In later years, Jane Fonda was embarrassed about starring as the sexually naive Barbarella in this science-fiction film for husband and director Roger Vadim. However, the film is so incredibly popular that Barbarella may prove to be Fonda's most memorable role. This very rare style B one sheet is also quite important for its "pop-art" motif, reflecting the 1960's psychedelic look of the era that created it. Of the few copies Heritage has handled over the years, this may be the best copy we've ever seen. Near Mint+.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 01:27:48 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2011, 02:03:08 PM »
Gratz Mel. She is sweet.  thumbup

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2011, 02:18:47 PM »
That first auctioneer is not very good, pretty annoying in fact.  Sullivan's Travels, one of the best so far, went relatively low for $3,800, still way above my budget:

« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 02:18:56 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2011, 02:33:48 PM »
Bullitt three sheet went for $7,100, way above 2-4K estimates:

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2011, 03:19:28 PM »
Cool one, Mel.  You hit the nail on the head with "the ultimate 1960s poster."  As a matter of fact, that may be a good thread to start "the ultimate poster for each decade."  Where is Sir Chop-a-Lot?  ;D

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2011, 03:57:19 PM »
Fun stuff's coming up now - 50s horror/sci-fi and the Barbarella 40x60, supposedly only 9 left in the cosmos.  It's better than my Style B, but it would difficult/expensive to display properly:

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2011, 04:06:55 PM »
It's better than my Style B, but it would difficult/expensive to display properly:

I wouldn't say it's better than your one sheet.  My 40 x 60 frames are about $200 with acid free backing and UV plexi.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2011, 04:23:58 PM »
Very cool quad for Brides of Dracula went for $2600:

]

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2011, 04:28:28 PM »
Cool one, Mel.  You hit the nail on the head with "the ultimate 1960s poster."  As a matter of fact, that may be a good thread to start "the ultimate poster for each decade."  Where is Sir Chop-a-Lot?  ;D

neo

the "Ultimate" is something that will vary from one person to another
myself, I don't think that Barb poster is it. I don't know what "it" is though as I never really thought about it (I never considered boxing myself in by decades, so I also can't say what I think are the best of any other decade). I can say the barbarella 40x60 to me is way better art, and when I think about it.. it's very possible that the real "Ultimate 60s posters" is actually a poster from the "Ultimate movie" aka 2001. Especially to those of us who lived through the era, I'd say the Pan Am Clipper poster or the Star Child (probably Star Child) is the Ultimate 60s poster. a very ginormous # of people across many walks of life would automatically recognize that poster.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2011, 04:34:18 PM »
Very beautiful House of Dracula French one panel went for $4,400, way beyond the $1800 top estimate:

$13,100 for this 1920 lobby card for The Cabinet of Dr. Calligari:

« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 04:50:22 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2011, 05:17:00 PM »
Very cool quad for Dr. Who and the Daleks went for $3,100:

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2011, 05:17:35 PM »
I hear ya, Rich, about how "the ultimate" varies from person to person, and how it would be more a propos for each generation to name "the ultimate" from an iconic film for when they were the "kewl" people of that generation.  Pan Am Clipper, hmm...I can't recall seeing that one.  For me, when I was basking in all the glory of my "kewlness", I would say without a doubt that the ultimate is the Pulp Fiction Lucky Strikes poster.  I can't think of any more deserving of the title "the ultimate" from that decade, but that's just my $0.02.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2011, 05:21:01 PM »
Very cool quad for Dr. Who and the Daleks went for $3,100:

Great poster,but i`m pretty sure Quadmeister Paul was using this as wrapping paper, so its probably a good idea that no-one tries to buy one,except me..,

Stew

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2011, 05:45:24 PM »
$20,000 for This Gun For Hire (Lake is yowza!):

« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 05:45:35 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2011, 06:31:54 PM »
Pan Am Clipper, hmm...I can't recall seeing that one.  

THIS is the Pan Am Clipper, Rich referred to...
Having also lived through the era, I agree with him -- it is the Ultimate Poster of the 60s...

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2011, 06:33:01 PM »

Bummed out right now.  I was not the top bidder on about 6 posters.  I guess my poster tastes are getting better, because every poster in my budget that I had an interest in drew several bids. Either that, or the fact that my wife gets back in town tomorrow has tempered my spending.   ;D

Brian
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2011, 06:35:16 PM »
THIS is the Pan Am Clipper, Rich referred to...
Having also lived through the era, I agree with him -- it is the Ultimate Poster of the 60s...

ooh i want this so much.....life isn`t fair... ;D

Stew

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2011, 06:59:52 PM »
  Bummed out right now.  I was not the top bidder on about 6 posters.  I guess my poster tastes are getting better, because every poster in my budget that I had an interest in drew several bids. Either that, or the fact that my wife gets back in town tomorrow has tempered my spending.   ;D

Brian

Tomorrow the prices will be more reasonable, so you should give it another shot tomorrow.  Today was for the elite stuff.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2011, 07:21:26 PM »
  Brian

still a learning experience I'm sure.. did you get your posters?

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2011, 07:23:24 PM »
Tomorrow the prices will be more reasonable, so you should give it another shot tomorrow.  Today was for the elite stuff.

Yep. Today was just theatre for me. I have put a couple on my watch list for sunday.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2011, 07:59:58 PM »
I didn't use them all as wrapping paper, I saved this nice one...

It's more than a Hobby...