Author Topic: Has everyone aleady gotten a copy of the Jaws poster?  (Read 83552 times)

Offline keith

• Beginner
Re: Has everyone aleady gotten a copy of the Jaws poster?
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2016, 07:34:44 PM »
I bought the Ferris international that was in HA this weekend. It's one of my favorite movies, and I love this artwork for it.

I have an additional affinity for the movie because my analysis of the character dynamics in this film helped me learn a lot about filmic storytelling. In particular, it helped me clarify my thoughts on the importance of "character arc" in a movie. In the case of Ferris, the lead character has no meaningful character arc, but the film is still narratively compelling and hugely entertaining. The movie exists more as a celebration of what makes this character delightful, and how his non-traditional choices impact the world and people around him. The movie holds a special place for me personally and professionally because of this.

Sometimes irrational markets are made up of rational buyers who just have a different way of rationally valuing things than you do. They only look irrational to people who don't share those values. Perhaps that's why there's such discrepancy over the value of the JAWS posters.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2016, 07:58:06 PM »
I bought the Ferris international that was in HA this weekend. It's one of my favorite movies, and I love this artwork for it.

I have an additional affinity for the movie because my analysis of the character dynamics in this film helped me learn a lot about filmic storytelling. In particular, it helped me clarify my thoughts on the importance of "character arc" in a movie. In the case of Ferris, the lead character has no meaningful character arc, but the film is still narratively compelling and hugely entertaining. The movie exists more as a celebration of what makes this character delightful, and how his non-traditional choices impact the world and people around him. The movie holds a special place for me personally and professionally because of this.

Sometimes irrational markets are made up of rational buyers who just have a different way of rationally valuing things than you do. They only look irrational to people who don't share those values. Perhaps that's why there's such discrepancy over the value of the JAWS posters.

liked (if we can like here)

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2016, 11:24:04 PM »
This discussion is officially in the shitter when people actually starting saying that the Ferris Int. and the Alien Advance are not rare. So let me see if I got something straight, those 2 pieces are NOT rare, so what does that make the population of Jaws posters? Extremely, extremely abundant? Hello aura...you keep revealing yourself!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 11:26:33 PM by Chop-Top »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2016, 12:09:56 AM »
This discussion is officially in the shitter when people actually starting saying that the Ferris Int. and the Alien Advance are not rare. So let me see if I got something straight, those 2 pieces are NOT rare, so what does that make the population of Jaws posters? Extremely, extremely abundant? Hello aura...you keep revealing yourself!

Chop, wasnt this your argument and question to begin with? That Jaws OS are extremely abundant and therefore should be priced lower than they currently are? Or did I miss something?   dontknow.gif

And congrats on the Ferris win, Keith.   thumbsup.gif
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 12:23:15 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2016, 12:53:26 AM »
I think this topic jumped the shark when someone was hoping to find a nm rolled copy for $300....

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2016, 04:02:39 AM »
This discussion is officially in the shitter when people actually starting saying that the Ferris Int. and the Alien Advance are not rare. So let me see if I got something straight, those 2 pieces are NOT rare...

Well, they are certainly no Blackenstein (or Pelham Clockwork Orange, Rocky Drive-in Style, Sting Style B, Star Wars Concert, Get Carter art style, etc, etc that a host of other people would agree are much tougher than anything you have mentioned so far).

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2016, 05:01:39 AM »
This discussion is officially in the shitter

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2016, 06:07:15 AM »
Chop, wasnt this your argument and question to begin with? That Jaws OS are extremely abundant and therefore should be priced lower than they currently are? Or did I miss something?   dontknow.gif

And congrats on the Ferris win, Keith.   thumbsup.gif

Quite!

At the risk of being risqué, I do believe this thread has now disappeared up its own poo chute.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2016, 11:03:00 AM »

I love that Ferris poster.  Yes, congrats.

So you're saying that there is no evolution of the character of Ferris throughout the movie, that he is the exact same at the end of the movie than he is at the beginning, that he hasn't learned a single thing throughout the story that would make him grow somehow and give him an arc?  Interesting.  I'm not saying you're wrong, I'd have to watch the movie again, but if what you say is true, it's bold.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline keith

• Beginner
« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2016, 12:16:14 PM »
I love that Ferris poster.  Yes, congrats.

So you're saying that there is no evolution of the character of Ferris throughout the movie, that he is the exact same at the end of the movie than he is at the beginning, that he hasn't learned a single thing throughout the story that would make him grow somehow and give him an arc?  Interesting.  I'm not saying you're wrong, I'd have to watch the movie again, but if what you say is true, it's bold.

T

Yeah, I don't think Ferris has an arc. He is the agent of change in the film, forcing the world around him to change. Cameron, his sister, and even his Principal all have arcs due to his influence. But I don't believe that Ferris himself has an arc, or at least not a meaningful one.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2016, 03:25:32 PM »
Yeah, I don't think Ferris has an arc. He is the agent of change in the film, forcing the world around him to change. Cameron, his sister, and even his Principal all have arcs due to his influence. But I don't believe that Ferris himself has an arc, or at least not a meaningful one.

pretty much have to agree with this examination of Ferris. He is the center upon which the story revolves, but he could be a stick of wood with the vignettes playing out on a tether, that's how well the character is designed. He is explained early and remains a consistent presence in a story that plays out around him.

This is very much something the story has in common with Raymond Chandler's 'Philip Marlowe' except that Marlowe has a little more active hand in the goings on, just barely. Ferris and Marlowe are almost psychoanalysts, guiding people 'to the light'

-------

Offline keith

• Beginner
« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2016, 03:38:43 PM »
pretty much have to agree with this examination of Ferris. He is the center upon which the story revolves, but he could be a stick of wood with the vignettes playing out on a tether, that's how well the character is designed. He is explained early and remains a consistent presence in a story that plays out around him.

This is very much something the story has in common with Raymond Chandler's 'Philip Marlowe' except that Marlowe has a little more active hand in the goings on, just barely. Ferris and Marlowe are almost psychoanalysts, guiding people 'to the light'

Yeah, in my own parlance I refer to this as the "Arc of Awesome." A character that already is so totally themselves that no matter how much the world tries to get them to change, they end up being a force that changes the world to fit them instead. The film exists as an examination and celebration of how awesome they are.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2016, 03:47:38 PM »
Arc of awesome... I like that.  Very nicely put.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2016, 05:55:20 PM »
Yeah, in my own parlance I refer to this as the "Arc of Awesome." A character that already is so totally themselves that no matter how much the world tries to get them to change, they end up being a force that changes the world to fit them instead. The film exists as an examination and celebration of how awesome they are.

Likey.jpg

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2016, 05:56:18 PM »

the only difference I would make is that for Marlowe, he doesn't change the world to fit him, instead he exposes it for what it is.

-------

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #90 on: August 16, 2016, 09:05:08 AM »
£775 and counting on EMP.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2016, 09:09:37 AM »
£775 and counting on EMP.

Ssssh, don't tell Choc Top

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #92 on: August 16, 2016, 09:10:55 PM »

Is gsimpson71 Choc Top?

T
My Personal Collection

Offline archstanton

• Hobbyist
« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2016, 09:56:25 PM »
A folded, near mint Jaws sold on eBay for $1495 last week.  I just don't see them coming down to the $300 range any time soon.

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2016, 10:20:23 PM »
I don't have one yet. Is it pre-'46?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2016, 11:00:43 PM »
Do you only collect pre '46?

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2016, 11:32:34 PM »
Do you only collect pre '46?

T

Looking over the collection, yeah, 99%.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #97 on: August 17, 2016, 12:14:50 AM »
Is gsimpson71 Choc Top?

T

Whoops, Chop Top

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #98 on: August 17, 2016, 12:38:20 AM »
Looking over the collection, yeah, 99%.

Can I see the posters collection somewhere?

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #99 on: August 17, 2016, 01:01:49 AM »

Oops... I misread.

I thought you commented about the Choctaw.  GoOn.gif
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 01:02:27 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff