Author Topic: Has everyone aleady gotten a copy of the Jaws poster?  (Read 81774 times)

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
Has everyone aleady gotten a copy of the Jaws poster?
« on: July 23, 2016, 03:49:00 PM »
If not let me know when so I'll be able to get one. I've seen hundreds of them but never one that's in my price range. Paper that is priced that high usually denotes a certain amount of rarity, but this is not the case with the Jaws poster. It was one of the most marketed movies of the 1970's and its paper is everywhere, but yet it still seems to have a cult-ishly high price tag.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Has everyone aleady gotten a copy of the Jaws poster?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 03:57:44 PM »
..... yet it still seems to have a cult-ishly high price tag.

I don't know why you expect that to change. One of the most iconic movies of the 70s.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 04:00:32 PM »
The sheer quantity of the Jaws 75 poster is more than the amount of serious poster collectors, hence the price is artificially inflated. There are other equally as iconic, if not more iconic, posters with even more rarity that sell for less than the Jaws poster. The original Star Wars one sheet is a perfect example. I think I got one of those in NM for around $125. Also, if you notice the Jaws posters that actually sell, it's never for the $600-$1,200 price tag that most of them are set for. They usually sell in the $350-$450 range. For me personally, I don't want to spend more than $300 for a NM copy.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 04:08:46 PM by Chop-Top »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 04:47:03 PM »
Good luck with that.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 12:46:21 AM »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 12:50:01 AM »
The sheer quantity of the Jaws 75 poster is more than the amount of serious poster collectors, hence the price is artificially inflated. There are other equally as iconic, if not more iconic, posters with even more rarity that sell for less than the Jaws poster. The original Star Wars one sheet is a perfect example. I think I got one of those in NM for around $125. Also, if you notice the Jaws posters that actually sell, it's never for the $600-$1,200 price tag that most of them are set for. They usually sell in the $350-$450 range. For me personally, I don't want to spend more than $300 for a NM copy.

Are you looking for a rolled or folded copy? Rolled and NM might be a bit more than 3 bills.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 12:54:18 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline archstanton

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 01:17:51 AM »

$600-1200 price: retail

$350-$450: auction

Retail prices are higher due to being readily available to those who don't want to wait, and the retailers need to make a profit.  It's the same with any other collectible. 

Also, it's Jaws were talking about here.  It appeals to all, even those outside the niche world of poster collecting.  John Q. Public wants to have a Jaws poster in his home theater.  Whenever one comes up for auction a good amount of people are going to want it every time, and bid it up accordingly.  Getting a NM one for $300 is a tough request unless you get lucky on a poorly listed ebay auction.  They regularly sell fixed price on ebay for $600+ even from non-dealers.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 01:22:25 AM by archstanton »

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 03:46:12 PM »
Are you looking for a rolled or folded copy? Rolled and NM might be a bit more than 3 bills.  ;)

No, just folded NM. There are very few posters that I require them to be rollled. Most of them are post-1990.

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 03:49:49 PM »
$600-1200 price: retail

$350-$450: auction

Retail prices are higher due to being readily available to those who don't want to wait, and the retailers need to make a profit.  It's the same with any other collectible. 

Also, it's Jaws were talking about here.  It appeals to all, even those outside the niche world of poster collecting.  John Q. Public wants to have a Jaws poster in his home theater.  Whenever one comes up for auction a good amount of people are going to want it every time, and bid it up accordingly.  Getting a NM one for $300 is a tough request unless you get lucky on a poorly listed ebay auction.  They regularly sell fixed price on ebay for $600+ even from non-dealers.

But most gaps between the retail and auction prices are not nearly as wide as with the Jaws poster. Like I said, there are other equally as popular titles that John Q Public wants like Star Wars that don't have those way above market retail prices that Jaws does. I'm going with the self-fulfilling prophecy theory. Those that believe Jaws is worth way more than the market value will price it accordingly. The same way that for the longest time Citizen Kane was the #1 rated movie on imdb.com. Those that believed it was the best movie, despite thinking rationally, voted it that way because others were doing the same.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 03:51:42 PM by Chop-Top »

Offline steve5635

• Beginner
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 12:07:02 PM »
I have not got one yet, maybe later this year with my Christmas bonus I will be able to afford one.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 02:00:26 PM »
Frankly, I don't see the fuss.  It simply is not that good of a poster.
-Jay-

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 05:22:46 PM »
I think it is an iconic poster and would like to have one.  For some reason I have a problem spending a significant amount of money on a poster that has been reproduced a million times.
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline archstanton

• Hobbyist
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 05:43:16 PM »
Frankly, I don't see the fuss.  It simply is not that good of a poster.

I don't know about that.  It is up there with the best in terms of sheer marketing impact.  It really does what a movie poster is designed to do: it gets your attention and tells you what you need to know very quickly and succinctly.  If it were 1975 and you were in a theater you WOULD notice that poster, and within a couple seconds you'd have a good idea what to expect with that movie.  It's as iconic an image as any.  Unfortunately it's impact is somewhat eroded by it's popularity. 

Even if the artwork doesn't do anything for you I can't see how you could argue it is not that good of a poster - given what it was designed to do.

Offline archstanton

• Hobbyist
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 05:44:48 PM »
But most gaps between the retail and auction prices are not nearly as wide as with the Jaws poster. Like I said, there are other equally as popular titles that John Q Public wants like Star Wars that don't have those way above market retail prices that Jaws does. I'm going with the self-fulfilling prophecy theory. Those that believe Jaws is worth way more than the market value will price it accordingly. The same way that for the longest time Citizen Kane was the #1 rated movie on imdb.com. Those that believed it was the best movie, despite thinking rationally, voted it that way because others were doing the same.

It seems to me there are a lot more NM+ Star Wars style A's floating around than there are Jaws one sheets.  A lot of the Jaws posters are raggy. 

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2016, 11:40:18 AM »
I don't know about that.  It is up there with the best in terms of sheer marketing impact.  It really does what a movie poster is designed to do: it gets your attention and tells you what you need to know very quickly and succinctly.  If it were 1975 and you were in a theater you WOULD notice that poster, and within a couple seconds you'd have a good idea what to expect with that movie.  It's as iconic an image as any.  Unfortunately it's impact is somewhat eroded by it's popularity. 

Even if the artwork doesn't do anything for you I can't see how you could argue it is not that good of a poster - given what it was designed to do.

Well, it is not terrible, but there are other posters from that era that don't get the same hype, and thus price.

Take "The Sting" for example. The movie was also iconic and won 7 Oscars, including best picture.  The poster is classic, but sells for a fraction of JAWS.
Another iconic poster that doesn't sell for those prices is The Deep.  That image of Jackie Bisset swimming upward is classic, especially in the insert format.

I think part of this is the fascination with the horror/monster genre.  Since I don't collect that, I would tend to downgrade the poster.
-Jay-

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2016, 08:41:21 AM »
why dont you wait another 30 years, fans of that movie will by dying out and then the price will drop! (probably)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2016, 09:02:36 AM »
I don't have a US One Sheet for it yet - I would love one as the film is in my top 10 faves, but I haven't got round to stumping up the cash for it.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2016, 12:29:50 PM »
I'm happy enough with the Quad...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2016, 03:08:58 PM »
i don't have the 1s either. Had one but someone else was willing to pay way more than it was worth to me so off it went. Still have the 40x60 and Aus 3s though. Really do want to get another 1s but won't go near those prices any time soon.

The one thing I have found is that for all the cringing I do now at the current prices, when I look in year I will say I should have bought now. They just keep climbing.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 03:09:19 PM by Undead »
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2016, 05:14:28 PM »
Just reading the posts on this thread and seeing how many people still want the OS, it is obvious prices will not go down anytime soon.  It is by far the most iconic poster of the 70s, way more than the Star Wars posters, since there is only one.  I would certainly put it in the top 10 of the most recognizable posters ever.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2016, 11:38:44 PM »
Just reading the posts on this thread and seeing how many people still want the OS, it is obvious prices will not go down anytime soon.  It is by far the most iconic poster of the 70s, way more than the Star Wars posters, since there is only one.  I would certainly put it in the top 10 of the most recognizable posters ever.

T

For the most part no one is arguing this. What my original point was, that DESPITE this, there were SO many of them produced. I've been collecting posters for 13 years, and there are at any given moment 20+ Jaws one sheets for sale. There are far rarer posters that I've only seen one or two in over ten years that are also in high demand. It's the QUANTITY that doesn't match the PRICE. Got it?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2016, 12:21:45 AM »
Stop whining and buy your freakin' poster already.  And if it's too expensive for you, then don't buy it.  Got it?

T
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2016, 12:47:48 AM »
People can sell posters for whatever amount they deem accurate.  There are 14 Jaws posters on Ebay right now, from $600 to $3,400.  6 of them are Dave's.  Some might sell, some might not.  Ultimately, it is not the market speaking, but dealers setting the bar.

What is the market speaking, in my opinion, is Emovieposter.  Bruce has sold 11 posters in good to very good + folded or tri folded condition in 2015/2016.  All together, they average $600.  That is a very good price for an iconic movie poster.  Rare or not, it is a poster most people want, collectors and non collectors.  Most posters we collect do not mean shit to anyone, this one does.

T
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 12:48:29 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2016, 01:31:00 AM »
Stop whining and buy your freakin' poster already.  And if it's too expensive for you, then don't buy it.  Got it?

T

This brightened up my day

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2016, 02:10:21 AM »

Has everyone already gotten lots of gold bullion coins?

If not let me know when so I'll be able to get some. I've seen hundreds of them but never one that's in my price range. Metals that are priced that high usually denotes a certain amount of rarity, but this is not the case with the gold. It is one of the most common noble metals and is everywhere, but yet it still seems to have a cult-ishly high price tag.

The sheer quantity of the gold around is more than the amount of serious bullion coin buyers, hence the price is artificially inflated. There are other equally as precious, if not more precious, metals with even more rarity that sell for less than gold. Palladium is a perfect example. I think I got an ounce of that for $680. Also, if you notice the gold that actually sells, it usually sells in the $1300-$1400 range. For me personally, I don't want to spend more than $700 for an ounce of gold.