Author Topic: Has everyone aleady gotten a copy of the Jaws poster?  (Read 82683 times)

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
Re: Has everyone aleady gotten a copy of the Jaws poster?
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2016, 07:32:40 PM »
Yes.. but I was suggesting that posters like this (of this caliber and appeal), regardless of year, and that show up continuously, still command and go for very good prices. Jaws, tho much newer by comparison, may likely be in that same kind of category, even in the year 2050. Hard to know for sure, but it's possible.

I highly, highly doubt there are as may seekers of those two older posters, than there are of the Jaws poster. I don't know many John Q Public's that are after those two. Maybe those keeping popping up because the same stock is being churned? And yes, I agree that there is no sign of the self-perpetuating aura of the Jaws poster easing up any time soon.

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2016, 07:35:24 PM »
I agree with everything T wrote here.

And the "aura" of the 77/21-0 Star Wars is just as big as Jaws and way more common, that doesn't stop it from selling for multiples of what the Jaws brings now. It doesn't matter that both Jaws and Star Wars are not rare, the demand is there and the prices are what they are.

With all due respect to the Star Wars 77x0ae934r or whatever hell the number is, that is a totally different situation as there are other versions of the Star Wars 77 poster that are original that collectors can opt for that don't have the 3q43rqroqrqew numbers at the bottom. I sure as freaking hell wish there were two versions of the original Jaws poster. One for the idiots to buy that says 75232.0--3-4r3 and the regular one for sensible people like myself to pick up. But unfortunately, that is not part of the mystic of the Jaws 75 one sheet poster. Again, there is nothing post 70 that resembles the hype of the Jaws poster, nothing.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 07:36:03 PM by Chop-Top »

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2016, 10:12:28 PM »
I'm still not certain I get your point.
Emovieposter this year has sold copies for $322, $805, $1,074, $624, $526, and $602 with the $322 copy being listed as fair to good and the others being listed as nicer.
Looking at closed ebay auctions I see sold prices of $775, $595, $510, $500, $500, $495, $450, $449, $341, $300, $300, and $279.
As you would expect the $279 is heavily worn and the $775 is very nice with the others being somewhere in between.

So there is obviously strong demand for this poster - ebay averages a sale a week and Bruce sells on average almost one a month and they continue to bring strong prices as condition warrants.

So your point is that because it is so popular and there are enough to find these buyers it should sell for less?
Shouldn't the argument be, thank goodness it's not a rare poster, because with this kind of demand the prices would be through the roof?

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2016, 10:39:18 PM »
I'm still not certain I get your point.
Emovieposter this year has sold copies for $322, $805, $1,074, $624, $526, and $602 with the $322 copy being listed as fair to good and the others being listed as nicer.
Looking at closed ebay auctions I see sold prices of $775, $595, $510, $500, $500, $495, $450, $449, $341, $300, $300, and $279.
As you would expect the $279 is heavily worn and the $775 is very nice with the others being somewhere in between.

So there is obviously strong demand for this poster - ebay averages a sale a week and Bruce sells on average almost one a month and they continue to bring strong prices as condition warrants.

So your point is that because it is so popular and there are enough to find these buyers it should sell for less?
Shouldn't the argument be, thank goodness it's not a rare poster, because with this kind of demand the prices would be through the roof?

Well, the lowest one you listed sold for $279 and the highest one on Ebay is $4,000. Tell me another poster that has this kind of price range? That's what I thought. Only the Jaws 75 has this type of mysterious aura that it garners a $4,000 price range for the same poster condition not withstanding.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 10:40:03 PM by Chop-Top »

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2016, 11:04:55 PM »
Well, the lowest one you listed sold for $279 and the highest one on Ebay is $4,000. Tell me another poster that has this kind of price range? That's what I thought. Only the Jaws 75 has this type of mysterious aura that it garners a $4,000 price range for the same poster condition not withstanding.

Obvious answer of course is Pretty Woman.

But seriously, a) There isn't a copy listed on ebay for $4,000 - let alone a sold copy for $4,000. b) the $3K ask price on ebay is for a rolled copy, the $279 sold price is for a beat-to-heck copy. World of difference between a high ask for a near perfect rolled copy and a selling price for a beater. Lots of (older, pre-90s) posters bring a much stronger price for a rolled copy than for a beat-up, ugly copy.

And condition IS withstanding. Many people desire to get the poster in as nice as shape as possible (yourself included). It seems auction prices average $250-500 for lower condition and then $600-1000 for nicer condition, the nicer the condition the higher the price. Rolled of course is another category.

And of course lots of posters have a $4,000 price range - maybe not many you look at, but lots do.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 11:19:29 PM by crowzilla »
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2016, 11:14:07 PM »
Obvious answer of course is Pretty Woman.

But seriously, a) There isn't a copy listed on ebay for $4,000 - let alone a sold copy for $4,000. b) the $3K ask price on ebay is for a rolled copy, the $279 sold price is for a beat-to-heck copy. World of difference between a high ask for a near perfect rolled copy and a selling price for a beater. Lots of (older, pre-90s) posters bring a much stronger price for a rolled copy than for a beat-up, ugly copy.

And condition IS withstanding. Many people desire to get the poster in as niceas shape as possible (yourself included). It seems auction prices average $250-500 for lower condition and then $600-1000 for nicer condition, the nicer the condition the higher the price. Rolled of course is another category.

And of course lots of posters have a $4,000 price range - maybe not many you look at, but lots do.

Ok, I think you are highlighting the aura without even knowing it. How many posters from the 70's do you know of that will sell for $279 in "beat to heck" condition? Crickets....

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2016, 11:30:53 PM »
Ok, I think you are highlighting the aura without even knowing it. How many posters from the 70's do you know of that will sell for $279 in "beat to heck" condition? Crickets....

Going to assume you mean US (movie) posters and even then limited to one-sheets, or I could spend all night writing out a list.
But the short answer is several, and all of them would be rarer than Jaws (but not have the type of demand Jaws does).

So again, your point is basically - "Hey this poster in folded condition usually sells in a range of 1X to 3X, depending on condition.
 I would like to find one in top condition for the 1X price, but have been unable to do so because demand is so strong."

I hear you. I think we all wish the posters we wanted were less expensive.

www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2016, 12:29:42 AM »
OK, I am definitely the odd man out.  Might be that I live in the midwest.  We don't worry much about sharks in Lake Michigan :)
-Jay-

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2016, 12:58:40 AM »
Chop Top bringing attention to this poster in this forum no doubt has now added another 15% to the desirability and shortly prices for this poster. Good luck Chop

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2016, 01:01:52 AM »
The Jaws US OS poster has become an iconic piece of cinematic imagery, and is desired to this day, in 2016. As long as collectors are willing to pay the asking price from sellers or dealers, I would imagine that the current sales will continue.

When the buying at the current prices slows or stops - the sellers and dealers will then re-evaluate, I would think.

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2016, 01:20:45 AM »
Let me try to put things in a clearer perspective. I've been collecting original posters for 13 years. I collect from 1970-present. I have approximately 200 or so foreign and domestic titles all NM. With just a handful of exceptions I own virtually every rare and popular title since 1970.

What is (in your opinion), the rarest, post-1970 title that you own? You referred to a couple that were from that era AND that were also rolled copies. Might it be one of those? And if so, could you post a pic? Would love to see posters from the "folded era" that you managed to find rolled.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 01:23:09 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2016, 01:50:40 AM »
Like I said before, the prices of the Jaws poster have nothing to do with its value or gold bullion value (a nonsense allegory), or the popularity of John Q. Public. It has to do with the self-fulfilling prophecy of this poster unto itself.

Perhaps you can explain why the analogy is nonsense?

It was meant to be humorous, but the point it illustrates is quite valid: something is only worth what someone will pay for it.  This has been true since mankind first traded, no matter what the good or service. It doesn't matter if we are talking about bushels of apples, shares of AAPL, oil, gold bullion, Beanie Babies, or movie posters.

I picked gold for the analogy for a reason. It has some industrial applications, and people like it for jewelry because it's pretty. But it's value goes beyond what either industrial or jewelry applications would justify. Gold has a "mystique" that has given it value for arguably irrational reasons since antiquity.

Furthermore, you are free to believe something is overpriced, but this is ultimately a pointless exercise.  Hell, you could even be right about the market being irrational (cough, Beanie Babies), but it still wouldn't change anything. Semi-related quote from John Maynard Keynes: "Markets can remain irrational a lot longer than you and I can remain solvent."

If you are so sure the poster is overpriced, and actually want some chance of influencing the market, start shorting it!  Get as many collectors as possible to loan you their posters (you'll probably have to provide some collateral. Sounds like you have some other nice posters that would work).  Sell all the Jaws posters.  If you get enough people to loan their posters, you might actually be able to temporarily drive prices down.

When people want their Jaws posters back, surely you will be able to buy equivalent or nicer copies for pennies on the dollar!  Let me know how this works out.

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2016, 05:48:35 AM »
I think Deke's analogies regarding gold and shorting are spot on. This hobby is of course entirely about supply and demand - and condition. I think it is great that someone who wants an original Jaws one sheet has so many different options available to them in the market place.

Mark

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2016, 11:40:26 AM »
I think Deke's analogies regarding gold and shorting are spot on.

Mark

totally.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2016, 12:30:18 PM »
What is (in your opinion), the rarest, post-1970 title that you own? You referred to a couple that were from that era AND that were also rolled copies. Might it be one of those? And if so, could you post a pic? Would love to see posters from the "folded era" that you managed to find rolled.

I was looking through my collection of 70s posters, and could not find any "rare" US OS.  I have a rolled Star Wars style C PG version (probably harder to find), or maybe the eye Deliverance, or a rolled Jaws sharkfacts.  None of them are really hard to find, though.  Can't wait to see what chop-top considers rare.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2016, 12:35:56 PM »
Me too..     pcorn
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2016, 12:45:50 PM »

......... Can't wait to see what chop-top considers rare.

T

Yes, me too. I don't consider Alien advance and folded Ferris Bueller international to be rare at all. A rolled Ferris - now that is rare and I hope Rich will sell me his one day. ;)

Mark

• Post-aholic
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2016, 12:55:31 PM »
Yes, me too. I don't consider Alien advance and folded Ferris Bueller international to be rare at all. A rolled Ferris - now that is rare and I hope Rich will sell me his one day. ;)

Mark

hehehe

binoc.gif

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2016, 02:06:22 PM »
$650 on HA

(+ BP)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2016, 02:16:39 PM »
The difference with the Ferris Int. is that it is truely rare. First it's foreign and the movie had nowhere near the campaign that Jaws did. I've only seen one of those in 13 years, whereas, I've probably seen 3,000 Jaws one sheets. Another example of a truly rare poster is the Alien Advance once sheet. While not as rare as the Ferris Int., I've seen maybe 5 in 13 years of that poster. I won't buy either the Alien Advance or the Ferris Int. because my collection max is pretty much $300. After that it's not a hobby that I care to partake in. Luckily I have both the regular Alien and Ferris one sheets so those don't matter to me anyway. It's the Jaws that both isn't rare and I don't have another version to collect that bothers me.

Seriously?  Look harder, buddy.  I've seen at least a dozen Ferris and dozens of Alien advance.  Not that rare at all and not even close to being as iconic as Jaws. 

And 3,000 Jaws?  Now that's a lot.  Did you count them all?

T
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 02:36:08 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2016, 03:22:47 PM »
Seriously?  Look harder, buddy.  I've seen at least a dozen Ferris and dozens of Alien advance.  Not that rare at all and not even close to being as iconic as Jaws. 

T, maybe he means seen at his house?
Heritage shows at least 20 Aliens advances being sold and Bruce is well over a dozen also, but this is obviously someone who doesn't let the facts get in his way.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2016, 03:27:10 PM »

laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1

sm1
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2016, 04:13:57 PM »
Chop .. I have a very specific question for you

do you think that one website should have the most pertinent information for pricing, period?
should only Bruce's auction results be the final arbiter of 'real values'

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2016, 06:32:34 PM »

oh wow.. I passed by this place last week, I didn't realize it was Chop's house.
I would have stopped if I wasn't in a rush

« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 06:49:05 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------