Author Topic: Has everyone aleady gotten a copy of the Jaws poster?  (Read 82772 times)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Re: Has everyone aleady gotten a copy of the Jaws poster?
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2016, 05:31:49 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Point hilariously made.

Offline steve5635

• Beginner
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2016, 01:46:47 PM »
I agree with eatbrie the dealers are "setting the bar". a few years back I bought a couple posters from a dealer, paid too much but I was inexperienced and his lay away plan made me pull the trigger so to speak, then I asked him if he was willing to negotiate on the price of his jaws posters, so I gathered history of prices of emovie's and e-bays last several and shot him that price, he said no way and basically wanted what he was asking on his site, I kinda see his point, why would he sell for a decent price just to find out it would end up on ebay or somehere else. (which I wouldn't do) but yes the dealers  have got us by the short hairs.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2016, 02:38:38 PM »
You need to cut the dealers some slack.  We are generally not their customers, and they tend to be buying from the same auctions we are using.

What the dealer offers is immediate gratification with no fuss for the folks who just want the title.  They either have the title, or are willing to do the legwork.  That means they need to make a profit.  They carry inventory and have definite overhead to cover.  If you want the service, you have to be willing to pay the premium.

Specifically regarding the JAWS poster.  There was a person (who will remain nameless) that bought every copy that came up for auction for several years.  I felt he was trying to create a monopoly by cornering the market.  It seemed to work as prices did increase by a factor of 6 in the last few years, but I do wonder how it will work long term as these posters again come on the market.

Matab Molari tried this in the early 90s with Audrey Hepburn material.  Prices skyrocketed and remained that way for several years, but they gradually settled down after she left the hobby.  Yeah, the very best remains at a premium, but other material now sells for a fraction of what it was getting 20 years ago.
-Jay-

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2016, 05:20:43 PM »
So what's a dealer?  How many posters do you need to flip annually to be a dealer?  Do you have to have a website with auction functionality?  Employees?  What if your family helps?  Is Matt a dealer?  If I flip some on ebay - am I?

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2016, 09:58:22 PM »
So what's a dealer?  How many posters do you need to flip annually to be a dealer?  Do you have to have a website with auction functionality?  Employees?  What if your family helps?  Is Matt a dealer?  If I flip some on ebay - am I?

Oh good grief.

A dealer is someone who can command more than auction prices.
A dealer is someone who relies on his sales to put roof over head and food on table
A dealer is someone who doesn't whine about a poster price.  Either figures out how to turn a profit or passes in favor of a better opportunity.
A dealer is the person you consistently beat in auctions because you don't worry about necessary margin
A dealer is the person who knows more about any poster you can name than you do.

The rest of us are just hobbyists with an interest.

Oh yeah, bite me.
-Jay-

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2016, 10:46:45 PM »
The above doesn't ryhme, not a good song  :-\

So the question is, what makes a good song  dontknow.gif

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2016, 11:12:52 PM »
Stop whining and buy your freakin' poster already.  And if it's too expensive for you, then don't buy it.  Got it?

T

laugh1

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2016, 11:16:21 PM »
Oh good grief.

A dealer is someone who can command more than auction prices.
A dealer is someone who relies on his sales to put roof over head and food on table
A dealer is someone who doesn't whine about a poster price.  Either figures out how to turn a profit or passes in favor of a better opportunity.
A dealer is the person you consistently beat in auctions because you don't worry about necessary margin
A dealer is the person who knows more about any poster you can name than you do.
The rest of us are just hobbyists with an interest.

Oh yeah, bite me.

clearly you are still upset about your birth year not registering in the other poll..

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2016, 11:40:54 PM »
clearly you are still upset about your birth year not registering in the other poll..

laugh1 laugh1

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2016, 11:44:52 PM »
 thumbsup.gif
-Jay-

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2016, 12:59:24 AM »
So are the dealers setting the bar or is my argument absurd? I can't stand idiotic contradictions.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2016, 03:01:26 AM »
Has everyone already gotten lots of gold bullion coins?

If not let me know when so I'll be able to get some. I've seen hundreds of them but never one that's in my price range. Metals that are priced that high usually denotes a certain amount of rarity, but this is not the case with the gold. It is one of the most common noble metals and is everywhere, but yet it still seems to have a cult-ishly high price tag.

The sheer quantity of the gold around is more than the amount of serious bullion coin buyers, hence the price is artificially inflated. There are other equally as precious, if not more precious, metals with even more rarity that sell for less than gold. Palladium is a perfect example. I think I got an ounce of that for $680. Also, if you notice the gold that actually sells, it usually sells in the $1300-$1400 range. For me personally, I don't want to spend more than $700 for an ounce of gold.

laugh1 sm1

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Damomac

• Hobbyist
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2016, 03:22:38 AM »
Rarity doesn't have a lot to do with pricing - there are lots of things that are rare that are worthless - demand is key - this poster is a high demand poster.
The market sets the price not dealers - if no dealer sold Jaw's posters at $600 plus per poster they would have to lower the price. The simple fact is many people are happy to pay that price or greater.
In your eyes the poster is overvalued and that fine thats your opinion but the market doesn't agree with you at the moment
- Damo (An Aussie Movie Poster Lover)

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2016, 03:37:47 AM »
So are the dealers setting the bar or is my argument absurd? I can't stand idiotic contradictions.

Sometimes idiotic is fun

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2016, 03:00:03 PM »
Let me try to put things in a clearer perspective. I've been collecting original posters for 13 years. I collect from 1970-present. I have approximately 200 or so foreign and domestic titles all NM. With just a handful of exceptions I own virtually every rare and popular title since 1970. You name it, Goonies Map, Tron 82 Rolled with Game Text, TCM, Halloween, Evil Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Clockwork Orange X-rated, Godfather, Back to the Future, Mad Max, Star Wars 77, Day of the Dead Advance, Dawn of the Dead Quad, Escape from New York Advance and Regular rolled, and on and on and on. As I stated above, all are Near mint. I believe out of all of 200+ Nearmint posters, I've only paid more than $300 for one of them and that was the Tron Rolled with the game text , and that was like $340. So Basically, I have 95% of all the key posters since 1970 (still missing around 5 or so), and have only paid more than $300 for just one and maybe only one or two above $200. There's no way in SAM'S HELL I'm going to pay $600 for a single "ok looking" poster. Yes, the movie Jaws is well known, but for the most part when compared to all other 200 posters in my collection the Jaws posters is average. It has one of my strongest pet peeves right there at the very top, giant text referencing a book or movie. Yes, the shark portion is decent, but that art is nothing when compared to the Goonies Map, Back to the Future, Mad Max, Last Starfighter, and on and on and on. Like I said before, the prices of the Jaws poster have nothing to do with its value or gold bullion value (a nonsense allegory), or the popularity of John Q. Public. It has to do with the self-fulfilling prophecy of this poster unto itself. Every single movie poster webpage, book article, etc. all have it as the first poster the eye catches. It's the Citizen Kane of modern movie posters. It doesn't mean it's worth that much, it's just means it's priced that high. Collectors are forced to buy it at high prices, because they know it has a culture all to itself and it can never be had for a "bargain" like most posters on earth can be. But go ahead and keep believing the John Q Public or gold bullion nonsense, I'll be patiently waiting for that elusive bargain, if it ever shows up. Edit: The current range of the poster on Ebay is $1195-$3395.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 03:09:53 PM by Chop-Top »

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2016, 03:30:52 PM »
Paragraph Requirement alert!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2016, 03:48:08 PM »
Im sure the question and sentiment is asked of many posters.. some see as overpriced/inflated and those that say the prices are what the market currently support. As another quick example, on HA, a Ferris Bueller's Day Off International OS just sold for almost $1800.00 (with the BP). I dont quite get it, but I know this poster usually sells for a pretty penny as well.

At the end of the day, it's what folks are willing to pay that sustains prices.

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2016, 04:27:38 PM »
Im sure the question and sentiment is asked of many posters.. some see as overpriced/inflated and those that say the prices are what the market currently support. As another quick example, on HA, a Ferris Bueller's Day Off International OS just sold for almost $1800.00 (with the BP). I dont quite get it, but I know this poster usually sells for a pretty penny as well.

and it was folded....

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2016, 04:36:48 PM »

The difference with the Ferris Int. is that it is truely rare. First it's foreign and the movie had nowhere near the campaign that Jaws did. I've only seen one of those in 13 years, whereas, I've probably seen 3,000 Jaws one sheets. Another example of a truly rare poster is the Alien Advance once sheet. While not as rare as the Ferris Int., I've seen maybe 5 in 13 years of that poster. I won't buy either the Alien Advance or the Ferris Int. because my collection max is pretty much $300. After that it's not a hobby that I care to partake in. Luckily I have both the regular Alien and Ferris one sheets so those don't matter to me anyway. It's the Jaws that both isn't rare and I don't have another version to collect that bothers me.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 04:39:30 PM by Chop-Top »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2016, 04:58:22 PM »
An Attack of the 50 Foot Woman US OS (copies of which also show up all the time), just sold on HA for $9K (plus the BP).

Not rare, but another that certainly commands a premium any time it comes up for sale or auction.

This Gun for Hire also comes to mind - it shows up with regularity and always does well, too, a copy today also selling on HA for over $15K.

The idea being that certain titles and posters, even if numerous copies exist, always seem to do very well.

Jaws is also in this category.

-Jeff

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2016, 05:02:03 PM »
An Attack of the 50 Foot Woman US OS (copies of which also show up all the time), just sold on HA for $9K (plus the BP).

Not rare, but another that certainly commands a premium any time it comes up for sale or auction.

This Gun for Hire also comes to mind - it shows up with regularity and always does well, too, a copy today also selling on HA for over $15K.

The idea being that certain titles and posters, even if numerous copies exist, always seem to do very well.

Jaws is also in this category.

Those are also from 1958 & 1942. There is no other poster since 1970 that has the same aura that Jaws has, none.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 05:02:25 PM by Chop-Top »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2016, 06:20:53 PM »
Those are also from 1958 & 1942. There is no other poster since 1970 that has the same aura that Jaws has, none.

Yes.. but I was suggesting that posters like this (of this caliber and appeal), regardless of year, and that show up continuously, still command and go for very good prices. Jaws, tho much newer by comparison, may likely be in that same kind of category, even in the year 2050. Hard to know for sure, but it's possible.

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2016, 06:35:02 PM »
Not sure what you mean by 'aura' here.  May be something personal, and if it means that much, then you need to bite the bullet and pay the $600.

I agree that the Ferris intl is priced high, but it is an uncommon poster.  Still I really liked the image.  My solution was to buy the French 1P for $60 instead.

However, I can think of several posters that IMO have a better design and are of iconic films.  Some examples:

Chinatown
Reservoir Dogs
Pulp Fiction
Back to the Future
Risky Business
Nightmare on Elm Street

The list would go on, but it is very dependent on your tastes in film.

And Jaws fit into that same category and price point until 5 or so years ago when a certain dealer started buying up every copy available.  Its called a cartel, and go ask the DeBeers if it works.  Jaws is worth more, because IMO the price was deliberately manipulated.
-Jay-

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2016, 06:46:09 PM »
Not sure what you mean by 'aura' here.  May be something personal, and if it means that much, then you need to bite the bullet and pay the $600.

I agree that the Ferris intl is priced high, but it is an uncommon poster.  Still I really liked the image.  My solution was to buy the French 1P for $60 instead.

However, I can think of several posters that IMO have a better design and are of iconic films.  Some examples:

Chinatown
Reservoir Dogs
Pulp Fiction
Back to the Future
Risky Business
Nightmare on Elm Street

The list would go on, but it is very dependent on your tastes in film.

And Jaws fit into that same category and price point until 5 or so years ago when a certain dealer started buying up every copy available.  Its called a cartel, and go ask the DeBeers if it works.  Jaws is worth more, because IMO the price was deliberately manipulated.

I disagree.

Jaws is way, way, way more iconic than any of the titles listed above. 

I can for sure tell you that my 24 year old nanny has never heard of Chinatown, Risky Business or Nightmare on Elm Street.  She might vaguely know who Freddy Krugger is, but I'm not even sure.  She had never heard of Back to the Future until I showed it to her.  She didn't know who Indiana Jones was.  And btw, she grew up in LA.  But I can guarantee you she's heard of Jaws and she knows what the poster looks like.  Jaws was the first summer blockbuster and is arguably one of the most famous movies ever.  Just ask any twenty-something who could not care less about anything pre-Pirates of the Caribbeans.

T
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 06:47:45 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2016, 07:16:55 PM »

Jaws is way, way, way more iconic than any of the titles listed above. 

I can for sure tell you that my 24 year old nanny has never heard of Chinatown, Risky Business or Nightmare on Elm Street.  She might vaguely know who Freddy Krugger is, but I'm not even sure.  She had never heard of Back to the Future until I showed it to her.  She didn't know who Indiana Jones was.  And btw, she grew up in LA.  But I can guarantee you she's heard of Jaws and she knows what the poster looks like.  Jaws was the first summer blockbuster and is arguably one of the most famous movies ever.  Just ask any twenty-something who could not care less about anything pre-Pirates of the Caribbeans.

T

I agree with everything T wrote here.

And the "aura" of the 77/21-0 Star Wars is just as big as Jaws and way more common, that doesn't stop it from selling for multiples of what the Jaws brings now. It doesn't matter that both Jaws and Star Wars are not rare, the demand is there and the prices are what they are.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com