Author Topic: Your thoughts on OUTING Ebay auctions  (Read 70043 times)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Re: Your thoughts on OUTING Ebay auctions
« Reply #100 on: June 06, 2014, 12:35:47 PM »
......... for 1 week post everything you are watching or plan to bid on, that simple. One week! every item in the watch list..

Well, this list is as per my Wants List, which has been available for all those wishing to not help me but to either throw in a few troublesome bids or indeed, bid for it with a view to selling it to me for a 10% hike...  But I don't believe that would happen.

If you want to close the Mid-auction thread, you may as well kill the Wants forum as well

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #101 on: June 06, 2014, 12:39:40 PM »
If you want to close the Mid-auction thread, you may as well kill the Wants forum as well

Not really.

Hoping for something is very different than discovering something you can actually acquire, and for a bargain (hopefully).
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #102 on: June 06, 2014, 01:24:11 PM »
Possibly.

But I believe it is all much of a muchness, and not in keeping with the spirit of the freedom of information internet exercise...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #103 on: June 06, 2014, 01:28:09 PM »
Possibly.

But I believe it is all much of a muchness, and not in keeping with the spirit of the freedom of information internet exercise...

What does that mean?  :-\

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #104 on: June 06, 2014, 02:09:46 PM »
Rich can you post those as links so it easier to just click to bid on them  ;D

you can always do a little work on your own
 :P
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 02:10:15 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #105 on: June 06, 2014, 04:48:02 PM »
It's not a head scratcher to me...the mid-auction analysis is an important umbrella page (and very popular)...if you actually do some research instead of creating false pictures (and saying there is evidence to support that outed auctions went for higher prices when you can never prove it) is a testament to the selfishness of collectors....the popularity of the thread accounts for the 231 pages...

in retrospect I admire the mid auction thread for the analysis of wild pricing by sellers, the authentication of items for sale, the lamenting of rarity over condition, the amount of educated guesses and the overall interest in movie posters....the fear of having an outed auction trumps all that?....I call bullshit...I agree with Rich...this is nothing but a preemptive strike to lock this thread...

Any rational person can see there is no real evidence that an outed auction here commanded a price beyond what "would" have happened...

Show me your proof!!!
Tait

• Post-aholic
« Reply #106 on: June 06, 2014, 05:02:47 PM »
It's not a head scratcher to me...the mid-auction analysis is an important umbrella page (and very popular)...if you actually do some research instead of creating false pictures (and saying there is evidence to support that outed auctions went for higher prices when you can never prove it) is a testament to the selfishness of collectors....the popularity of the thread accounts for the 231 pages...

in retrospect I admire the mid auction thread for the analysis of wild pricing by sellers, the authentication of items for sale, the lamenting of rarity over condition, the amount of educated guesses and the overall interest in movie posters....the fear of having an outed auction trumps all that?....I call bullshit...I agree with Rich...this is nothing but a preemptive strike to lock this thread...

Any rational person can see there is no real evidence that an outed auction here commanded a price beyond what "would" have happened...

Show me your proof!!!

yep.
100%
 sm1

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #107 on: June 06, 2014, 05:06:43 PM »
if you actually do some research instead of creating false pictures (and saying there is evidence to support that outed auctions went for higher prices when you can never prove it) is a testament to the selfishness of collectors....

How unselfish is posting links to auctions just because you need attention?
Chris

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #108 on: June 06, 2014, 05:14:48 PM »

Show me your proof!!!

OK I will come clean on a great example where this might have applied.  My good poster buddy PM's me about an ebay auction of a poster I was looking for that had a bad title etc. and was started way under price.  I was so worried that someone would find out about it I was a nervous wreck.  I ended up being the only bidder and got it for a mere $325... 

What was the poster?  An Orange Mad Max Australian OS.  Now tell me, with full confidence if that auction had been outed, that I would have been the only bidder.  It would have pissed me off for a good year to have missed out on that poster. 

The guy who told me about it didn't have to.  But he knew I had been looking for it.  He was honorable about it.  That is what this hobby should promote. 

• Post-aholic
« Reply #109 on: June 06, 2014, 05:35:39 PM »
FORUM by it's very design is for sharing information with a COMMUNITY
Not for secrecy. That's a CLUB

Charlie, you of all people should understand that. You got pissed off because they wanted to censor your speech and went away.
Now the shoe is on the other foot?

This forum should serve the "we" not the "me"

-------

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #110 on: June 06, 2014, 05:36:53 PM »
lololol

I was mistaken,

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2014, 05:37:35 PM »
How unselfish is posting links to auctions just because you need attention?

How selfish is it to lock a thread based on unsubstantiated fear of competition?
Tait

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #112 on: June 06, 2014, 05:38:15 PM »
Wow Charlie, I've got to say, I'm a little confused.  Not only is your comment right on the money and I for one applaud it, but it goes very much against your good buddy Mel who left the forum because he couldn't take the heat.  What gives?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #113 on: June 06, 2014, 05:40:37 PM »
This forum should serve the "we" not the "me"

Spoken like a true dealer, Rich.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #114 on: June 06, 2014, 05:41:49 PM »
lololol

I don't expect you to agree Ben, not with your skewed perspectives

-------

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #115 on: June 06, 2014, 05:45:40 PM »
Charlie, you of all people should understand that. You got pissed off because they wanted to censor your speech and went away.

I got my hat handed too me.  I didn't just go away.  And it didn't really have anything to do with my speech being censored.  I still don't think people really "get" what happened.  

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #116 on: June 06, 2014, 05:47:29 PM »
I don't expect you to agree Ben, not with your skewed perspectives

You mean the same ones held by many others here?
Or does disagreeing with you just = skewed?
At least you are consistent, Rich, I will give you that.

---

Seems like a great time to put this back out there:

« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 05:47:50 PM by wonka »

I was mistaken,

• Post-aholic
« Reply #117 on: June 06, 2014, 05:47:29 PM »
Spoken like a true dealer, Rich.

T

in what way T?
I don't think my auctions very often get spoken about in Mid-auction and I don't think I've seen anything posted there that I would bid on
Lots of great information does get shared that leads to LEARNING about a variety of subjects.
Do you want people to come by and listen and learn and maybe join & become part of something, or do you just want a place to hang out with your close friends?

It's a forum, not a club.
censorship is a fool's errand and I would say that on the eBay boards when anyone here posts a gripe and it is removed, you would scream to high heaven. Why would you support censorship in other forms then?

No one would ever tell you I am a selfish person. I am an altruist who believes in society. This forum isn't about me, it's about us and whomever wants to join us in our journey.

-------

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #118 on: June 06, 2014, 05:49:39 PM »
How selfish is it to lock a thread based on unsubstantiated fear of competition?

You might want to read around here a bit more. Examples are plenty.

I was mistaken,

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #119 on: June 06, 2014, 05:49:57 PM »
Wow Charlie, I've got to say, I'm a little confused.  Not only is your comment right on the money and I for one applaud it, but it goes very much against your good buddy Mel who left the forum because he couldn't take the heat.  What gives?

T

I'm not worried about Mel. Why is everyone else?

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #120 on: June 06, 2014, 05:53:06 PM »
Another classic from the APF Histories:

Like I said before, it's silly to pretend the stuff on the dedicated movie poster auctions - like yours - is not being watched closely by numerous potential buyers, so I personally don't have any problem if anybody discusses them.  (Not that my opinion matters anyway.)

However, most of the forum members are strictly buyers and want to find bargains, so I'm personally never going to discuss low-profile Ebay auctions and would hope that no one else would either.  Just send out an email to those whom you know have interest.

I was mistaken,

• Post-aholic
« Reply #121 on: June 06, 2014, 05:53:19 PM »
You might want to read around here a bit more. Examples are plenty.

maybe you need to look at yourself. That would be my suggestion.

-------

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #122 on: June 06, 2014, 05:56:02 PM »
maybe you need to look at yourself. That would be my suggestion.

awwww.. does Little Benny have a hurty boo-boo...

Neither of these rebuttals really match your whole 'We Try Harder' mantra...

I was mistaken,

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #123 on: June 06, 2014, 06:57:26 PM »
What does that mean?  :-\

Sorry. 

What I was attempting to say was that this whole thread about closing the Mid Auction thread is a storm in a tea cup.  There is absolutely nothing to prove that outing an item on these particular boards will have any material effect on the outcome, bearing in mind these boards' members and the lengths they will go to to find something.  It is just a sense of fear.

As for the spirit of the exercise, it is the internet, which some say is successful because of the freedom of movement of knowledge.  And banning and censoring stuff goes against that grain - in my opinion.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #124 on: June 06, 2014, 06:58:21 PM »

Show me your proof!!!

I concur entirely.