Author Topic: Your thoughts on OUTING Ebay auctions  (Read 68216 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Your thoughts on OUTING Ebay auctions
« on: June 03, 2014, 10:58:18 AM »
Sniping it was probably going to be impossible before, definitely impossible now.

And I'm really getting tired of people outing auctions.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
Re: Unused concept art
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 04:27:40 PM »
And I'm really getting tired of people outing auctions.

T

Cool, so the Mid Auction thread is going away?

"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 04:33:33 PM »
I wouldn't mind hearing what the rest of our members think about it.  If there is a consensus, hell yeah.  I don't want to be the only one.  I just think it's extremely rude for someone who doesn't want something to out it just because he/she feels like it.  Like Skyjackers put it: "It is strange people never out auctions they intend to bid on though isn't it?"

T

My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Starling

• Collector
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 05:00:12 PM »
I can see both sides to this argument, and it is true, if the person is really going after an item he or she would not mention it on the forum.  I still think that emovie and HA should be free zones, since they are on EVERYONES radar.  Add Christies and Sothebys too. 

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 05:11:39 PM »
I wouldn't mind hearing what the rest of our members think about it.  If there is a consensus, hell yeah.  I don't want to be the only one.  I just think it's extremely rude for someone who doesn't want something to out it just because he/she feels like it.  Like Skyjackers put it: "It is strange people never out auctions they intend to bid on though isn't it?"

T

Well you guy's know my thoughts on this, and I could speak for a few others on here...But I won't.
It's more than a Hobby...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 05:16:36 PM »
No, I don't know your thoughts, Paul.  Sorry.
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Your thoughts on OUTING Ebay auctions
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 05:55:15 PM »
I am fed up with people outing Ebay auctions, since I, more often than not, plan to bid on such auctions and end up on the losing end because people are watching and taking notes.  Remember, it is not just about us, members: At the time I'm writing this, there are 27 Users and 216 Guests on the forum.  I do my research, I spend countless hours on Ebay, I find what I like and I always look for a good deal - like we all do, I suppose.  The good deal ends the minute it is posted on the forum.  Such good deals are posted by people who obviously have no interest in it, either because they don't care about the items being sold or they deem them too expensive for their own pocket.  But as we all know, too expensive for some might be just right for others.  Paradoxically, when those people have an interest in something being sold, they keep it to themselves.

I want to lock the "Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev...." thread, but I don't want to do it if a majority of you guys disagree.  So I will put it to a vote and let you decide.  

Yes, your opinion matters.

T
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 06:01:21 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
Re: Your thoughts on OUTING Ebay auctions
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 06:23:38 PM »
Hi T,
do you want to lock it members only? if so i agree
Paul

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 06:25:04 PM »
OK, so Thierry is now openly opposing his partner's decision to allow posting of pending auctions. I guess Thierry is running the show.

Maybe Thierry should try to shut down Collectors Weekly for "outing" the most-watched auctions as well:

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 06:25:49 PM »
It's completely absurd to claim that the one of the most watched posters (30 watchers) on eBay has been "outed" in this forum.  Get real people.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 06:26:03 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 06:33:42 PM »
This good "Concept Art" thread is veering WAY off track. nono

I recall another thread that is discussing this... T's NEW one.

So why not keep it all there?

-Jeff

Bruce

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 06:38:55 PM »
Why not just delete it? It was I who started it, and that was solely as a joke.

Let those who want it start their own forum with it. Eventually we can have one forum per collector!

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 06:53:29 PM »
Why not just delete it? It was I who started it, and that was solely as a joke.

Let those who want it start their own forum with it. Eventually we can have one forum per collector!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 07:12:28 PM »
This good "Concept Art" thread is veering WAY off track. nono

I recall another thread that is discussing this... T's NEW one.

So why not keep it all there?

Well, maybe you can move all these posts but let's look at the actual evidence here.

I "outed" this auction near the end.  At that time there were 30 watchers and it was shown on Collectors Weekly as one of the top 5 "most watched" movie posters on Ebay, so it was not remotely a secret.

Unknown to the other bidders (including me), f***0 had already placed an $834 bid.  S/he later placed another bid of $1,255.  So it is beyond dispute that f***0 did not learn about this auction through this forum and the final price was going to be at least $1,255.

At the end of the auction, there were 36 watchers. It is possible but quite unlikely that the winning bidder learned about this auction through this forum and entered the game late.  In the end there were four $1,000+ bidders with 1000+ feedback each.  These most likely were pros who had been following the game all along.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 07:14:01 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 07:39:49 PM »
Yes, and there were only two $2,000 + bidders, me and the winner, whoever he or she is. 

But it is not even about this auction.  It is about dozens that you outed, Mel.  And when I say dozens, it could be hundreds.  Do me a favor, the next time you want to bid on something, please let us know.  I'd like to know the next 10 items you intend to bid on.  They're out there for everyone to see, right, probably on that site that you keep promoting, so why should you care?  Then you'll know how I feel.

T

My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 07:47:05 PM »
OK, so Thierry is now openly opposing his partner's decision to allow posting of pending auctions. I guess Thierry is running the show.

???

This has nothing to do with Holiday.  Holiday is entitled to his opinion, as I am to mine.  And no, Mel, I am not running the show, whatever that's supposed to mean.  If I was running the show, I would have locked that thread without asking.  I'm letting you guys decide and I will comply without a fight.  I've already said what I had to say.

And again, please let us know what you're bidding on next.

T
My Personal Collection

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 08:00:44 PM »
Yes, and there were only two $2,000 + bidders, me and the winner, whoever he or she is. 

But it is not even about this auction.  It is about dozens that you outed, Mel.  And when I say dozens, it could be hundreds.  Do me a favor, the next time you want to bid on something, please let us know.  I'd like to know the next 10 items you intend to bid on.  They're out there for everyone to see, right, probably on that site that you keep promoting, so why should you care?  Then you'll know how I feel.

I never "out" an auction with few watchers.  When an auction picks up a certain number of watchers (maybe 15+), it's ridiculous to pretend it's a "secret" anymore.  I'd like to get that "Endless Summer" one sheet but with 21 watchers and 5 days to go, it's ridiculous to get mad if somebody points it out on this forum:

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 08:03:03 PM »
Outing auctions in here is lack of etiquette. The fact that those auctions are promoted in other sites like Collectors Weekly does not make it correct.
Think of a mob throwing stones at someone. Throwing rocks yourself because because, what the hell, everyone's doing it does not make it correct.
Of course, saving the huge differences between killing someone and making another collector pay more for an item  :D
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2014, 08:05:03 PM »
Eventually we can have one forum per collector!

Mine will surely have monsters and naked gals. Ted is welcome to join anytime!  ;)
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 08:12:57 PM »
What does it matter if an auction has 5 watchers or 50.  I watch auctions constantly with no intention to bid just to see how far it will go.  I don't watch the small ones, obviously.  And it is not about the 50 watchers, it is about that one bidder that could have seen the auction on here.

T
My Personal Collection

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 08:16:21 PM »
I won the auction. As some of you know I collect rare alternative style one sheets. ET is one of my favourite films. I am sorry I deprived Thierry of this poster for his wonderful Spielberg collection. I am sorry Thierry was bidding against me because I had to pay double the price I would have won it for if he hadn't been. That's just my bad luck. I was watching this auction for days and quietly cursed Mel when he outed it. It made no difference on this occasion and in my view it makes little difference in the vast majority of auctions because the potential bidders reading such a posting on this forum represent a tiny fraction of the potential market place. That is why I personally have no problem in Mel posting in this way. This is a forum for the exchange of information.

Mark

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2014, 08:19:41 PM »
What if I told you I didn't know about this auction until Mel outed it, Mark?
My Personal Collection

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 08:22:28 PM »
My bad luck.

Mark

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2014, 08:35:56 PM »
My bad luck.

Mark

Well, that's not the case, but it could have been.

Btw, congrats to you.  I wish I had known you collect this sort of thing as it wasn't this important to me.  I talked to Chris about it the day before, when it was at $50, and told him I wasn't going to bid because it was too expensive :). Then 5 minutes before the auction, as I was feeding my kids, I decided to go for it.  Next time you see a Spielberg thing like this, talk to me.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2014, 08:53:15 PM »
Hi T,
do you want to lock it members only? if so i agree
Paul

I already voted, but I like this, too.
Witty signature goes here.