Author Topic: November 2015  (Read 45750 times)

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
Re: November 2015
« Reply #100 on: November 12, 2015, 08:13:34 PM »
Yet again more kung fu Thai posters, I just can't get enough of 'em.  These 2 are unique - THE BOXERS is a hand painted and not many Shaw Brothers films got the hand painted treatment, mainly they just repurposed the original Chinese artwork.  Also the other is a Bruceploitation film painted by Tongdee who only painted a few Kung Fu releases.  They were primarily done by a great artist named Kham and some of his associates.  But when Tongdee paints a kung fu poster it stands out.  Still taking crappy pictures, i just don't have it in me to get out the vacuum table and lights yet.

THE BOXERS Thai Movie Poster

BRUCE LI IN NEW GUINEA Thai Movie Poster

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #101 on: November 12, 2015, 08:53:43 PM »
your pictures are GREAT!
no need to change whatever your doing at all.
Nice posters, I love Shaw Bros AND Brucesploitation!
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Mirosae

« Reply #102 on: November 13, 2015, 04:01:09 AM »
To me these always look like a feast to the eye. A celebration of colour as some may say!! WoW!
 :)

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #103 on: November 13, 2015, 11:07:06 AM »
Thank you Ari and well put Rosa, that's exactly how I describe them thumbsup.gif

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #104 on: November 13, 2015, 08:12:50 PM »
After a long dry spell I finally scored a couple. Both I've been hunting for several years.

qip

Congrats.
These cards are gorgeous.
 bed1

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #105 on: November 13, 2015, 08:17:49 PM »
Still digging the Horror vibe from Halloween, why can't we just have Halloween once a month?

Two great representations of well-written horror films.
Enjoyed both films and love those posters.
 cheers

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #106 on: November 14, 2015, 02:20:23 AM »
Ah. I'm such a ding dong. I keep forgetting the new acquisitions thread changes monthly...and here we are virtually half way through the month! Ha!

Lots of good stuff i've missed. Jeff, that HOWLING 2 is VERY nice. Good eye. i would have probably passed over it because the film was such a turd--but lots of crappy flicks have GREAT posters--as you obviously know. (And I've also played tourist and been to the BABY JANE house. ha!). Ari the space invaders thing (I was trying to translate??) is all kionds of awesome. Gingerman--great horror posters. You almost can't go wrong with horror and the OMEN especially is cool. Lynn---oooo those lobby cards are fantastic, but I am especially jealous of that WHITE ZOMBIE! Yowza!  Mr. Wright, what can i say about the Thais that i haven't already said? Thank you again for introducing them to me through these threads. So beautiful. Man, Paul...love that SCOUTS GUIDE quad. That is NICE!! And Thierry, while you can't go wrong with Bardot, i really dig your Japanese CHAINSAW poster!  Oooo!  Angeflyover welcome aboard and your MOCKING JAY is sweet! Gargoyle 67--the same can be said for your PULP FICTION and your JURASSIC PARK (I don't think i have a JP yet. Waaagh!). Steve...SUPPLENTA VA EN CITTA? Why am i not surprised? Nice!  Harry Caul...oooo that OMEN is so cool-i-o!!!!!

Okay, I don't usually post here anyway. I just post my new stuff on my personal thread. But, why not? Here are just 5 of the recent things i got that I really like and will share...and one of which I have questions about.  (And by the way Gingerman, I agree. Halloween should be an at least monthly event!)

COLOSSUS THE FORBIDDEN PROJECT (German):

Not my usual thing at all. But I was drawn to this one by the simplicity and the colors. It just popped for me.

CHILDREN SHOULDN'T PLAY WITH DEAD THINGS:

This is not the greatest zombie flick ever (hardly). Not much even happens until you creep up the end of the flick, But the poster is kind of fun--and hard to find. I got one (finally) a few months back--but it has too many issues for me to be happy with. Recently there were two up for auction--closing both the same day. I wanted one and bid big on both, knowing I'd be outbid for sure on both or at least one of them. Oooops. I won BOTH! Ha! I'm such a dork...

LAST SURVIVOR (aka MONDO CANIBAL - MONDO SALVAJE) (Spanish) and CANNIBAL (Lebanese):

Just a couple of wild (and gruesome) cannibal posters i picked up recently. That face in the middle of the first one is just so HUGE in person. EEK!

THE BOOGIE MAN WILL GET YOU:

I knew nothing about this flick until i came across it at auction. The condition is something I'd normally pass on (just "good to very good"--but just looking at it you can see it has some issues). Yet this 1942 poster features Boris Karloff and Peter Lorre--two greats--and there was also this blurb poster by the auction house: "Important Added Info: Note that this is an extremely rare one-sheet which we have never auctioned before!" Hmm. It can't be THAT rare. I bid a good amount for it--again, thinking I'd be outbid (in the poster world my bid--which seemed large to me, was actually very, VERY modest) and won it. I hate linen backing, but might consider it for this. Does anyone know anything about this poster? is it really "rare" or was it just one of those flukes where the auction house just never had one before even though it is not that rare? I'm kind of torn about it. It was expensive (for me) but still kind of cool.

Thanks for the help.  CHEERS!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #107 on: November 14, 2015, 02:25:21 AM »
Nice, and no I have never seen it before.
I agree, could be a good candidate for a fix up.
AND FRAME.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #108 on: November 14, 2015, 02:36:14 AM »
Great pickup, the boogie man. I am keen for more posters of Lorre (I think I only have one)

Is Lorre about to commit suicide?! Fun screams bottom left

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #109 on: November 14, 2015, 01:49:31 PM »
This is recent, but glad I got one...

It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Gingerman

• Hobbyist
  • I said......Give me time......
    • Be Kind Please Rewind
« Reply #110 on: November 14, 2015, 02:36:57 PM »
I can't help but  ;D. This place, the collectors, the wide range of stuff. You folks are awesome!!  thumbsup.gif

cheers
This Space For Rent!

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #111 on: November 14, 2015, 03:07:08 PM »
Nice, and no I have never seen it before.
I agree, could be a good candidate for a fix up.
AND FRAME.

Oh yes, Ari! This one will definitely be framed once I'm back in a house again.

Great pickup, the boogie man. I am keen for more posters of Lorre (I think I only have one)

Is Lorre about to commit suicide?! Fun screams bottom left

This is my FIRST Lorre poster. As for the screaming couple...I have a feeling the woman is a man in drag, just based on the credits. There is a "(Miss) Jeff Donnell" credited (!). I also noted a "Slapsie Maxie Rosenbloom" in the credits. Ha! 

Paul Love the Laurel & Hardy quad. Is that new? VERY nice and I would love to have some L&H paper in my collection.

Gingerman: I think i speak for everyone here when i say we are happy to have you aboard!

Cheers!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Mirosae

« Reply #112 on: November 14, 2015, 03:17:39 PM »

Oh yes, Ari! This one will definitely be framed once I'm back in a house again.

This is my FIRST Lorre poster. As for the screaming couple...I have a feeling the woman is a man in drag, just based on the credits. There is a "(Miss) Jeff Donnell" credited (!). I also noted a "Slapsie Maxie Rosenbloom" in the credits. Ha! 

Paul Love the Laurel & Hardy quad. Is that new? VERY nice and I would love to have some L&H paper in my collection.

Gingerman: I think i speak for everyone here when i say we are happy to have you aboard!

Cheers!

He is one of the best. No question about that.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #113 on: November 14, 2015, 06:12:44 PM »
I came across this just an hour ago, rolled up in a plastic bin, with other commercial-type posters, at a the small, second-hand shop I have mentioned, that is around the corner.

It's the Advance UK quad for the 1999 BFI re-release of Get Carter (1971), with Michael Caine. I'm normally not one to go for re-releases, but I liked the imagery here and the price was 'right.' This now ups my total quads to 2. (I might catch up with you one day, Paul W (not) ).   ;D

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 10:51:13 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #114 on: November 14, 2015, 08:50:21 PM »
Well I had to find a better example of this one since I was reminded that my original copy has a couple pinholes and corner tape. http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,10184.0.html
  Wish it was in a plastic bin thrown in with commercial posters like how Jeff found that cool "purple poster" above   thumbsup.gif

Dogtown and Z-Boyz US OS

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #115 on: November 14, 2015, 10:18:13 PM »
We got some of the same purple color thing going on here, too, Jason.   cheers

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #116 on: November 15, 2015, 12:34:29 AM »
Ah. I'm such a ding dong. I keep forgetting the new acquisitions thread changes monthly...and here we are virtually half way through the month! Ha!

THE BOOGIE MAN WILL GET YOU:

I knew nothing about this flick until i came across it at auction. The condition is something I'd normally pass on (just "good to very good"--but just looking at it you can see it has some issues). Yet this 1942 poster features Boris Karloff and Peter Lorre--two greats--and there was also this blurb poster by the auction house: "Important Added Info: Note that this is an extremely rare one-sheet which we have never auctioned before!" Hmm. It can't be THAT rare. I bid a good amount for it--again, thinking I'd be outbid (in the poster world my bid--which seemed large to me, was actually very, VERY modest) and won it. I hate linen backing, but might consider it for this. Does anyone know anything about this poster? is it really "rare" or was it just one of those flukes where the auction house just never had one before even though it is not that rare? I'm kind of torn about it. It was expensive (for me) but still kind of cool.

Thanks for the help.  CHEERS!

It sounds (from reading the condition report), that this cool looking poster is in need of some much needed TLC and "support." It has really Great graphics, Shawn. Congrats!!  thumbup

I would look into having this stabilized and conserved, using the gel backing process, rather than linen backing (only if you want, of course). At least get a couple quotes from Poster Mountain and Lumiere (Mario Cueva) and see what they have to say about it.  ;)

MAGG-- As a side note: Actress Jeff Donnell was born Jean Marie Donnell (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Donnell).  "As a child, she adopted the nickname "Jeff" after the character in her favorite comic strip, Mutt and Jeff. To avoid gender confusion, she was sometimes billed as "(Miss) Jeff Donnell."

So there was no cross-dressing in the flicker..LOL. She was all woman.  ;D

« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 02:30:34 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #117 on: November 15, 2015, 02:39:56 AM »
I came across this just an hour ago, rolled up in a plastic bin, with other commercial-type posters, at a the small, second-hand shop I have mentioned, that is around the corner.

It's the Advance UK quad for the 1999 BFI re-release of Get Carter (1971), with Michael Caine. I'm normally not one to go for re-releases, but I liked the imagery here and the price was 'right.' This now ups my total quads to 2. (I might catch up with you one day, Paul W (not) ).   ;D

You found that in a thrift store? What an amazing find! I have never seen the movie, but the poster is nice and in great condition --especially considering it was dumped into a thrift store. Jinkies! You have all of the luck.

RE: My poster
I would look into having this stabilized and conserved, using the gel backing process, rather than linen backing

I don't even know what gel backing is!  Jeepers! 

And thanks for clarifying who (Miss) Jeff Donnell is/was. A character in drag might have been funny though. Oh well. Ha!

CHEERS!

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #118 on: November 15, 2015, 01:21:33 PM »
I would love to say this is a new acquisition but it really isn't. It's "new" because I recently found this again after it being lost for many years. A pro-pot rally poster which I believe originates from the mid to late 80's which a friend sent to me because she was one of the organizers. LOTS of good characters in here including Groucho Marx, David Peel, The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers, Nancy Reagan, and a paranoid looking Ronald Reagan with a priest collar on. Still in remarkable good shape after all these years of sitting in a closet, colors are pretty good, too! 

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #119 on: November 15, 2015, 01:28:01 PM »
I love the image of Nancy Reagan riding on the back of that green pig, with what looks like a laser gun straight out of "Lost In Space!"

thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #120 on: November 15, 2015, 02:54:49 PM »
I would love to say this is a new acquisition but it really isn't. It's "new" because I recently found this again after it being lost for many years. A pro-pot rally poster which I believe originates from the mid to late 80's which a friend sent to me because she was one of the organizers. LOTS of good characters in here including Groucho Marx, David Peel, The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers, Nancy Reagan, and a paranoid looking Ronald Reagan with a priest collar on. Still in remarkable good shape after all these years of sitting in a closet, colors are pretty good, too! 

That is quite a poster!!

Offline Gingerman

• Hobbyist
  • I said......Give me time......
    • Be Kind Please Rewind
« Reply #121 on: November 15, 2015, 11:09:49 PM »

I love this poster for so many reasons. The art is hysterical and well done at the same time. The play on the ridiculousness of the Reefer Madness. The double SS lightning bolts in the word Madness..... But more for the political purpose it served during the time it was used. I am not going to get into a long political statement here....so let say this. I do not smoke, but I completely feel without a doubt in my mind legalization is needed. Maybe I will make a thread in Politics in the future......
This Space For Rent!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #122 on: November 15, 2015, 11:39:06 PM »
This is recent, but glad I got one...

clap clap clap clap

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #123 on: November 16, 2015, 10:47:12 AM »
Very nice, Louie.  Particularly love St. Ronald of Reagan's "bad trip" expression as well as Mommy on the pig.  Your friend was inspired.  No doubt she was listening to the jazz music at the time.
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Mirosae

« Reply #124 on: November 16, 2015, 12:53:04 PM »
clap clap clap clap

^ +1 Paul, your Laurel and Hardy  Quad is like getting to watch the film on paper. Looking at the Quad is A treat.

clap clap clap thumbup