Author Topic: Monster A Go-Go's Shock-A-Rama Poster Show (in Blood-Curdling Freak-O-Vision!)  (Read 339367 times)

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
***Link to page 54 here : http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.msg224652.html#msg224652

***Link to page 54 here : http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.msg224652.html#msg224652

Hi there!  Despite the carnival-like title, my collection isn't all that groovy. In fact, despite having thousands of posters--all in storage of one kind or another at the moment until I move back into my house (which will be another year at least--unless I decide to move to the Bay Area or Washington state, but that's another story...), I have NOTHING on my walls where I'm living at the current time (EEK! NAKED walls! SHOCKING!!). That doesn't stop me from buying, buying, BUYING...and I've got tubes and boxes filled of posters that have yet to see the light of day since coming in to my possession.

So what I am posting is a sampling of my latest 10 purchases from the last week or so. The only way I can show you any of my other stuff is to show you my low-res video from 2008 I made of most of my framed movie posters at the time ( Here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDCf3DYtxOU&feature=youtu.be  ) or the movie poster thread I started on another site that shows my purchases since the beginning of 2015 (Here: http://forums.fanbolt.com/topic/61/movie-poster-collectors-thread/ )

But for my first official post here (which I also posted on that other site), I thought I'd share these very humble posters:

"SHRIEK OF THE MUTILATED"!!!!  I think I already have a copy of this poster, but a back up is always nice. I mean, who wouldn't want another poster with a rampaging albino bigfoot running up the stairs? Zowie! Such a cheesy-fabulous poster for a cheesy-fabulous movie! WATCH OUT!!!

Next, one of my favorite films of the early 80s, "Tess". I soooo wanted this to win Best Picture the year it was nominated. I forgot what it lost to, but as I recall, it was just some lame Hollywood product movie. Directed by Roman Polanski, starring Nastassia Kinski and based on a Thomas Hardy novel, this was just a brilliant and beautiful film (and there was not a single zombie in sight! Wow!)

It's always cool to score a Boris Karloff poster, especially since I'll NEVER get any of the "Frankenstein" stuff from ANY of the releases (sigh...). I am pretty sure I already have a "Mondo Balordo" poster already--but with everything still packed away for another year, I can NOT be sure. Love those old "Mondo" flicks though...strange and weird and silly stuff (especially the obviously FAKED ones! Ha!).

Jeepers! Next up is the exploitation flick that could never be made today (wouldn't be PC at all!)...direct from the sleazy 70s it's "MANDINGO"!!! Again, I think I have a copy or two of this poster already. This poster is obviously trying to riff on "Gone With the Wind". Dino De Laurentis unleashed a lot of wonderful trash on the world! Ha!

"My Beautiful Laundrette"...NOT the most beautiful poster in the world, but... You ever go to buy something and look around to see what else the seller has, see a couple of "well, maybe...why not?" items and bid on all of them (the one item you really want and the other stuff you figure you'd pad out the shipping costs with, especially when those items close about the same time)...and you LOSE the ONE thing you really wanted and get stuck with the extraneous stuff?  This purchase is one of those instances. Oh well, the movie holds a weird sort of memory for me... So...

"MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD MONSTER LATE SHOW"---yes,if you saw this up for auction recently,I was the fool (???) who bought it. I apologize for the "emovieposter" watermark, but I could find no other picture of this poster online and it has not arrived yet. There was something about it--the sleazy, slapped together (from other movie art. The screaming woman from the 1981 "Nightmare" poster is fairly obvious) art work, the DARE YOU SEE IT horror verbiage and the fact they don't bother to mention which chillers the audience would be seeing (so ANYTHING could be shown---and the poster could be used again and again and again, perhaps?). It's the closest thing to one of those old late night horror program posters from the 50s and 60s I'll ever be able to afford, so I got it. Kind of cool, but kind of dull as well. (Could use a bit of color and pizzazz,perhaps...). Still very fun in its own way.

"THE HOUSE THAT SCREAMED"--I saw this not too long ago. It was an late 60s/early 70s Euro thing and it was well made, nice location/sets and atmosphere...but kind of plodding. The twist ending totally reminded me of another 80s Euro slasher that I now realize totally ripped off the ending of HOUSE THAT SCREAMED. Anyway, it was cheap and...why not?

"PSYCHO BEACH PARTY"---Being a life long fan of the Frankie and Annette "Beach Party" films, I saw the play version of this years ago. The play--at least the version I saw--was hilarious. The movie...eh, not so much. I don't know what was lost in translation, but it almost seemed like a different story than the play I remembered. Oh well,it was set in the Beach Party era and the poster has some fun graphics and the title is groovy... Again,why not?

Another poster I am almost sure I already have, EMBRYO is a 70s sci-fi stinker starring Rock Hudson and a young Barbara Carrera (who? Look her up...). The movie is BORING (I thought so anyway), but the poster is kind of cool. And cheap.

My 10th and final poster for now is my goody goody gum drops poster de jour... "DINOSAURUS!" (Yes, the "!" IS part of the title! Ha!). From Jack H. Harris (the man who unleashed "THE BLOB" on the world) comes this crazy story of two dinosaurs and a caveman found intact but frozen. They are thawed out and silly sci fi fun ensues. How exciting to get this poster! "Alive with thrills that started a million years ago." Yippie!

I have a bunch of pictures on photobucket of other posters I have. They were originally on the poster thread of that other site, but when the site revamped itself,it killed all of the old pages. Those postings may be lost, but I might slowly start adding them on here. They are nothing fancy, but they are mine.

Thanks for looking. See ya next time. CHEERS!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 04:42:27 PM by jedgerley »
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
I need to get to bed---UGH!  I have to be up in 5 hours! Yikes!---but I was so not impressed by my recent purchases that I had posted, so I decided to look into my photobucket listings from the old/deleted movie poster discussion chain I had posted on that other site and post my favorite 10 purchases from last year.

In no particular order...

"REVOLT OF THE ZOMBIES" re-release. I love, love, LOVE this poster! Yes, it is only a re-release poster (completely different art than the original release) and yes, the movie is crap-a-rama boring. But it still speaks to me. Oooo wow! I am still thrilled all of these months later that I got it. :-)  I can't even explain why.

I'm a big "Tarzan" fan. I have all of the "Tarzan" posters up into the Gordon Scott era (the later titles), but anything earlier has always eluded me. Last year I scored a Lex Barker (talking Tarzan #2, after Weissmuller) title, "Tarzan's Peril". It may not be in the best shape, but it's colorful and a Lex Barker era--my first! I certainly never thought I get one that far back.  Zowie! (Everybody give a Tarzan yell: Ah-AH-ahhh!!!)

"Astro Zombies"!!!  This is the re-release poster for Ted V. Mikels schlock-o-rama sci-fi flick. Both the original poster and re-release have cool artwork, but this is the one came my way. WOW! Love it!!!

I had never heard of "I've Lived Before" until I came across the poster at auction. What cool artwork. I needed it. I bid...and lost. Another came up--same story. On and on and on until...MINE!  Whoo hoo!

"BLACULA"!!!  Jinkies! I was so surprised to land this one. I have owned the sequel poster, "Scream Blacula Scream: for a while, but the original? Always out of reach... I am trying to gather all of the blaxploitation horror film posters of the 70s. I had "Scream Blacula Scream", "Abbey" (the "Black Exorcist"), and "Sugar Hill" (voodoo zombies!), but was missing a few key pieces. "Blacula" was one of them, and certainly the most well known. And, tuh-duh! Last year, it became MINE!

Not long after scoring "Blacula", I lucked out with another of the elusive blaxploitation horror posters---"Dr. Black / Mr. Hyde"!  Yippie yippie yaHOO!

I've never seen "PRISON GIRLS", but I am a sucker for gimmicks advertised on posters. Vintage 3D poster? I'm there!  This one was unusual because nothing was seemingly being thrust out to the viewer. Instead there's this weird perspective that you are surrounded by the prison gals looking down at you. Very unusual and cool in my book.

"BLOOD OF THE VAMPIRE"--beautiful old horror poster. WOW! This is not a picture of the poster I won. I don't know why I didn't save a photo from the auction or take one when it arrived. Mine is a little rough, but not too shabby. I am delighted with it. I totally dig it. Can't wait to hang it.

"NARCOTIC STORY"looks so wonderfully campy. I can't wait to hang it up.Of course, the big syringe on the movie poster reminds me that I am a movie poster addict. Is there a 10 step program for people like us?  Ha!

And that brings me to No. 10....(which I'm debating about. Ha! Is it this one, this one or this one? Hmm...). I guess I'll go with "Lady Frankenstein"!   Only the monster she made could satisfy her strange desires... Ha! Gotta love the monster art and the laboratory. Crappy movie more or less, but fun and colorful poster.

Okay--those are my 10 faves I got last year. I'll addmore to this as I either get more or dig through my photobucket archives. Thanks for looking. I know they're not as lovely and cool as some of yours, but I'm kind of digging them in a far out way. Yabba  dabba doo! 

CHEERS!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Great effort MAGG! Many desirable posters there for sure. I wish I had a Prison Girls in 3D, many years have gone by and still without one. Nice to read you commentary on each of them. Well done!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
I concur.  Some really fun stuff there.  I need to start making a list.

r
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
UGH...good morning. Why am I awake? Oh yeah, I gotta go to work... Waaagh.

Hi Steve and T. Thanks for stopping by. I'd offer you some coffee but I haven't got any made yet---and I'm already running late. Help yourselves to a Pop Tart,maybe? I've got to get in the shower, but I appreciate your input.

Scrub-a-dub-dub and cheers to you.

Have a go-go groovy day.

Mirosae

Very nice to read your commentary. I can fully appreciate  why you like those so much..and why they make you happy...looooove  Dinosaurs  :)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket

Very nice to read your commentary.

+1

MAGG, you would be a great docent on tours of your excellent framed gallery.  cool1

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
Hello Rosa and Neo. Thanks for stopping by. Sorry I missed you. I just got home from work. Ugh! I'll be in bed in an hour or so, so I can get up tomorrow at 5 a.m. and do it all again. Joy...

I am glad you like the commentary about the posters. I've always done that. Doesn't everyone else? Hmm. Now that I think about it they usually seem to comment on their posters after someone else remarks on them.

Anyway, thanks for visiting.

Cheers!!

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
Hi there? What's new with you? What's new with me? POSTERS!!! With the clock ticking down to my 50th (!!!???!!!) birthday and my promise to STOP buying posters (with the exception of a bucket-list of "must haves") once I hit the big 5-0, I've been on a shopping frenzy. Here are some of my newest acquisitions:

Oh my stars! Was I ever thrilled to snap this little gem up. It's the nazisploitation flick "SS GIRLS"! While not the best example of the nazisploitation films of the late 60s and 70s (not by a long shot), what a cool grindhouse-groovy poster! At one time I had the poster for "SS LOVE CAMP". I hated the art so I sold it for peanuts...not realizing what I had and when i come across one now, they're big bucks! This little beauty just seemed to fall into my lap,is in super snazzy condition and was so incredibly reasonably priced, i couldn't say no. Yippie!

Next up,more grindhouse sleaze with "The Reluctant Sadist". I've not seen this (well reviewed?!?! Huh!?!) little film, but I've seen it advertised from Something Weird Video, so it might be right up my alley. I'll check it out sometime. In the mean time,it was cheap and there--so...

"Scream, Baby, Scream" is a eurohorror from the late 60s or early 70s. I just caught it a few weeks ago on DVD and it's not a bad little chiller (although it's dated and the scares are just not there...). I dig the far out psychedelic poster design.

Some of my lesser purchases include "Full Moon High"

and the notoriously awful "At Long Last Love" (Burt Reynolds singing and dancing? Ouch--just the thought of it is painful)

I don't know what I was thinking buying those at all...but they were only about $2 each...

The double bill combo poster for "The Possession of Virginia" and "The Exorcism of Hugh" I already had---but I am a sucker for "Exorcist" wannabes. I've actually seen "The Exorcism of Hugh" (aka "Neither the Sea Nor the Sand" or something like that). It has nothing to do with exorcism or possession and it's painfully slow. I'm guessing the ultra obscure "Possession of Virginia" is equally awful. Oh well,the double feature makes them sound possess-o-cool!

Not that it has anything to do with possession, I also picked up this Turkish poster for "The Devil's Nightmare". The movie is a guilty pleasure fave of mine. A group of stranded tourists are picked off one by one by an evil succubus. I won't say who the succubus is (they do try for a bit of mystery about it initially), but it becomes fairly obvious early on and the outfit she wears when she is still presumed to be a wholesome young woman is laugh out loud funny (in the Fredrick's of Hollywood sleaze-o-rama kind of way).

I have a penchant for the old kiddie matinee posters from the 60s and early 70s. K. Gordon Murray and Barry Mahon were two of the big players in the kiddie matinee arena. I always preferred the posters for the ones distributed by Childhood Productions though. They were more vibrant and always declared they were filmed in Storybook Color. They were basically imported movies that were dubbed and thrown out there for kids to suffer through while their parents went out shopping or whatever. I remember seeing a few of these films at kiddie matinees. "The Tinder Box" was not one of them though. I have several Childhood Productions posters, and now I have one more. Hooray!

As I said earlier, my birthday is coming up. I purchased myself two extra special presents. One of them is the elusive (and expensive) Herschel Gordon Lewis "BLOOD FEAST", which is widely considered the very first gore movie--long before films like "Dawn of the Dead" or "Friday the 13th" were on the scene. This was a holy grail for me--and I finally got one. Yahoo!

The other present to myself was also a holy grail of sorts...the original "BEACH PARTY" poster, the first Frankie & Annette flick that started it all. And now my collection is complete!  "Beach Party" is the best film of the lot anyway! It's what happens when 10,000 kids meet on 5,000 beach blankets! Kowabunga!  It's finally mine! Happy birthday to me!

CHEERS!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Your commentaries are the best, man.  Keep 'em coming.  You should really start a blog (or maybe you have one already, can't remember.)  It'd be the best one out there.  What you say makes the whole experience so much more enjoyable.

clap clap clap

T
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 01:20:51 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
Hi T. Thanks for the kind words (and officially know that I am uber jealous of your original "PSYCHO" poster! WOW!!!).

I need to get to bed, but I thought I'd throw up (NOT as in vomit, but as in share) some more poster photos (just 10) from my photobucket account from when I was posting on that other site (before it deleted everything). I'll do this now and then until I "catch up". Of course, then I'll eventually have to go through all of my stuff in boxes etc from before I started posting on that defunct page---and there are thousands of posters to go through... Someday...

Blah blah blah.

Anyway, this first pic is of me, Monster A GoGo, holding my framed original "Monster A GoGo"! This was right after I got it. I was thrilled. My name came from the movie, but not because I liked the movie (it's god-awful). It's a long story and we don't need to go there. But I love having the poster. Yahoo!

"Visiting Hours"...crappy horror flick, clever-ish poster. Nothing to write home about, it was just at the end of my photobucket account. I did see this in the theaters though back in 1983 or so. I think it was a double feature with "Friday the 13th Part 3" (in 3D)! (I have one of those posters too--framed--in my creaky old video).

"Fly Me To The Moon". Yep. Have that. Whoopie... As I said before,I'm a sucker for gimmicks. 3D's comeback was still fairly new then... that's my only defense. Ha! (I guess I could just NOT post this and no one would know how lame of a poster I have. Hee hee!):

Speaking of 3D,here's a vintage 3D poster, "Wings of the Hawk". The old 3D posters were awesome. They really tried to sell the whole coming off the screen gimmick. The new 3D is very clean but doesn't fly out at you the way the old 3D did. Oh well...

And yet another vintage 3D poster, "Fort Ti"! Zowie! Look out!!

Zowie! It's Hercules (Steve Reeves) vs Tarzan (Gordon Scott) in "Duel of the Titans"!  Okay, so they were not playing Herc and Tarzan in this--but it was still a great team up for a 60s peplum flick. I dig those old cheesy sword and sandal epics. ("Hey Johnny,you ever see any movies with gladiators in them?) This was a pretty great find:

The very first movie poster I ever bought was for "Logan's Run". I loved this film as a kid. I think I mentioned that when I saw it in one of my town's fading movie palaces (now gone dark), the projectionist invited me up to the projection booth and I watched a good portion of it up there. That was a magical experience. Anyway, that first poster got ruined (my fault), so I got a replacement copy that I had framed and on my walls before going back to school and moving in here. This is a back up copy:

"The Omen"--this was a great flick and one of the first R-rated movies I got into when I was still too young to go without an adult. (I saw this on a rerelease with "Damien Omen 2"--before the third one, so it must have been in 1980. I would have been 15 then). What an awesome flick--the remake was a waste of time.

"20th Century Oz"? Never seen it (although I did buy a bootleg DVD--just haven't got around to it yet), but I dig all things "OZ" so figured I'd get this as well. It was inexpensive...why not?

Finally, everyone knows Universal released the pilot to the original "Battlestar Galactica" in theaters after the premiere to recoup some of the show's expenses (even presenting it in SENSURROUND, which I believe was the final time that gimmick was used... waaagh!). This one sheet is Australian (??) for the 2nd feature (NOT released here in the states) culled from the first few episodes of the series and released theatrically. Golly, Universal sure had balls trying to get people to pay for what they'd already seen for free on TV. Ha!  Anyway, I'm no sci fi nut, but I thought this was a bit on the rare side and future sci fi fans might be willing to part with some cash for it. Nothing too grand, but more than the few bucks I paid for it hopefully. It's kind of fun on its own anyway.

And now I really must get to bed. More later. Thanks for stopping by.

CHEERS!

Mirosae

"the notoriously awful "At Long Last Love" (Burt Reynolds singing and dancing? Ouch--just the thought of it is painful)"

^ Thanks for sharing. It just made me smile. ;D

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Great read MAGG. Your posters are truly shocking (in a good way of course). I especially like the old 3D posters, Logans run and scantily clad gals oh and the on poster OTT text to grab you in.

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
Hi Rosa & Steve,

Rosa, I've always wanted to see "At Long Last Love", just to see how awful it is (which may be why I bought the poster). I just don't know if I'd be able to sit through it though. Pierce Brosnan's solo in "Mamma Mia" torturous enough--GEEZ what was he thinking? I can only imagine 2 hours of Burt Reynolds attempting to be musical might very well push one over the edge. EEEK!

Steve, thanks for the kind words but I don't know poster lingo yet. What does OTT mean? (Maybe it's just too early in the morning, but I look and look at all of the photos and can not figure out which might be OTT. Hmm... 
the on poster OTT text to grab you in.

Cha-cha-cha! Have a groovy day.

Cheers!

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
What does OTT mean?

Over The Top (maybe there is a better term for the poster tag lines, or maybe it is tag lines, hehe)
like in your posters:
The bosomy undressed ladies are an eyeful at an erotic orgy
More grisly than ever in Blood Color

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
Oh. I'm a ding dong. DUH. Thanks!

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
Okay--quickly, here are 10 more random blasts from my collection past from the last 3 years or so (since I started posting my then-latest acquisitions on photobucket for the long lost poster collector thread on Fanbolt). This time I am avoiding some of the junk...and only posting things I still am thrilled with.

In no particular order...

First up is "Cinderella"...a non-Disney,live action import kiddie matinee from Childhood Productions in Storybook Color and "never before shown anywhere" (except whatever country it was imported from). I've previously mentioned my interest in the whole kiddie matinee thang from the  60s and early 70s. I've never seen this flick, but guessing it is just awful and kids forced to go see this dreck were probably bored to tears. Ha! Whatever the movie is like, I love the colorful poster.

From the 1950s it's "CIRCUS GIRL". I've never seen this flick either---never even heard of it until I came across the poster,actually. I'm sure it's worth nothing,but the artwork is pretty nifty.

It's grindhouse/exploitation time again with the one sheet for the sleazy "HOUSE OF WHIPCORD"! Wow! The poster is sadistically stunning. The movie isn't great--and, as I recall,pretty grueling (spoiler: the young woman you think is the star gets killed half way into the flick! Shocker!). Brilliant exploitative art though.

I'll never have a "KING KONG" from its original release. I've accepted that. My goal is one from the 1950s re-release. (Someday...) In the mean time, I have this 1960s (?) international re-release poster. It's not exactly what I want, but for now--it's "KONG"! I'll take it.

I've never seen "Psycho Circus". It's probably crap...but what a cool poster!

In my pursuit of post-"Night of the Living Dead" zombie titles, this one seemed to always be just beyond my grasp for one reason or another for the longest time. Not a great movie by any means and not a brilliant poster either (and this certainly is not the best possible photo of it either)... but I dig it and am thrilled it's mine finally. Filmed in DEAD COLOR!!!  Zowie!

I am not sure this photo is of my "Ilsa She Wolf of the SS" poster or not. It seems a little too mint-y and I could have sworn I got my copy back before I started keeping record on photobucket. Hmm. Whatever...I have it in photobucket, so I'll post it here as I do have one. The first "Ilsa" flick (there were 4 altogether) could very well be the best nazisploitation flick of the bunch. Dyanne Thorne was awesome in the role. I had the pleasure of meeting her last year and she was so tiny, which is amazing because Ilsa seems so statuesque and such a powerful presence!

I love kitschy, bad movies...especially those no one remembers or knows about. Hot on the heels of his remake of "KING KONG" in the 70s, Dino DeLaurentis unleashed "WHITE BUFFALO", about a giant white buffalo in the old west. Hey, if it worked for giant apes, why not giant buffalo as well? WRONG! This movie came and went so fast and is rather obscure today. I didn't get to see it myself until the VHS era. What a turd. Fun-ish poster though.

Rounding out the last two for this post, I turn to two obscure shockers from the 70s. The first stars Klaus Kinski in yet another retelling of "JACK THE RIPPER" by cult euro-sleaze director Jess Franco.

The last is for something called "Savage Intruder" that I'd love to see. It has a great list of old Hollywood people in it, such as Miriam Hopkins, Gale Sondergaard (who was the first choice to play the Wicked Witch of the West in "The Wizard of Oz" before being deemed "too glamorous"), and one-time Stooge Joe Besser! But I like the wild checkerboard tunnel effect and the creepy guy reaching out and surrounding the victims a lot. Another "nothing" poster, but it is kind of cool.

That's it until next time.  CHEERS!

Mirosae

I've watched The White Buffalo. I liked it. I like the poster too with the image of the Buffalo charging and looking like coming out of the poster.

Congrats.

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
Hi Rosa! Wouldn't it have been cool if "The White Buffalo" HAD been in 3D? Ha! I'll bet it's the only monster buffalo movie ever made! I still laugh about it. What was Dino DeLaurentis thinking? (Or Charles Bronsan for that matter...) But you gotta love the movie any way and I do like the poster. Thanks for stopping by.

CHEERS!

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
Here are 10 more blasts from the past, posters I acquired in the last 3 or 4 years--in no particular order:

Okay, it's no secret P.T. Barnum would have loved me--I'm a sucker for a gimmick. I also really dig the whole disaster movie genre of the 70s. That being said, how could I resist this one sheet for "VOLCANO" in "FEELARAMA!"???  WHAT?,you say. You've never heard of it, you say. Ha! Flop-a-rama is more like it. Apparently, at the height of the disaster era, when "Earthquake", "Towering Inferno" and the "Airport" movies were making big bucks, someone decided to dust off the moldy-oldie stinker "Krakatoa-East of Java" (from a decade earlier), slap a new title on it and release it with a gimmick to give it extra box office oomph! Although i don't really know for sure, I suspect FEELARAMA was a copycat rip-off of the SENSURROUND system (Big speakers turned up to 11 to make the seats vibrate and rumble) that was used for "Earthquake" and won an Academy Award. FEELARAMA was never heard from again and "Volcano" is best known today under its original title. But the poster still exists! AWESOMENESS!

Another apparently volcano/Java-inspired flick I scored a poster for is "Fair Wind To Java". I bought this on a whim. It's not worth anything, but the copy I got was in such great condition and has such vibrant colors--wow! It's just works for me even more so than when I was looking at it to buy online. O' I can not wait to be back in a house again and hang this beauty up in a frame. I really find it stunning.

I mentioned elsewhere about my collection of blaxploitation horror movies (i.e. "Blacula:, "Dr. Black Mr. Hyde", etc.). While "Sugar Hill" isn't a horror movie per se, it does have horror elements---like ZOMBIES---in it. It also uses the Baron Samedi (sp?) voodoo character that was used in the James Bond flick "Live and Let Die".

The poster for "3 On A Meathook" is not any great artistic triumph, that's for sure. It's pretty BLAH actually. I got it because how many times have you ever seen this poster available? Not too often, if ever. The movie is no great winner either--strictly no budget grindhouse fare. It is, however, loosely based on the Ed Gein case---the same crazy that was the basis for "Psycho" and "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and the Buffalo Bill character in "Silence of the Lambs". I have it. End of story.

"Re-Animator" is a nifty little cult horror movie. I got the one sheet, but really wish I had the alternate one sheet with the comic book-style art.

I also mentioned elsewhere being a fan of the peplum/sword & sandal flicks of the 50s and 60s. While "Thief of Baghdad" is only on the fringe of that category (no sons of Greek gods, no gladiators, etc.), it does star Hercules, aka Steve Reeves:

"The Ghastly Love of Johnny x" is a 2012 low budget ($2 million) sci-fi musical set in the 1950s. It has the distinction of being the last feature ever shot on a certain kind of black and white film stock. It is also notorious for earning a heaping $114 at the box office (that's 114 dollars--not 114 million or even 114 thousand...just plain old dollars)! The filmmaker clearly was trying to create a cult movie--but instead created a mess. I had the, uh...pleasure(?) of seeing this locally wheere it played for one time only during a film festival. The director and male lead were there. They were giving away the posters. I snatched several. I also had the director and star autograph one and I snapped photos, bought the advanced DVD (also autographed), etc... That was all BEFORE the screening. Afterwards, well... Let's just say I know why it didn't earn $115 or more. Stink-a-rama! The poster, shown below, was made to look distressed and well-worn. It's rolled and not folded. Unlike a lot of other bad movies out there that have cool posters---this poster doesn't even have that going for it. Oh well.

"PELVIS"---what is not to love about this cool yet cheesy poster. I've never seen the flick--and it probably is trash. However, unlike, say "The Ghastly Love of Johnny X", at least the poster is eye-catching and fun. Ha!

Yet another gimmick advertised on a poster had me buying something called "Teenage Millionaire". Zowie! Every teenager who saw the movie got a free record of Jimmy Clanton (who?) singing the title song. Ha! I'm sure it was as utterly forgettable as this movie seems to have been. I've often though about looking it up on Youtube to see if I can find the song--but why bother? The film also stars Zasu Pitts!  Ha!

Finally, Westworld was for children. Futureworld was for teenagers. But "Sex World" is definitely for adults! Zowie! It's X-Rated time for this trashy and rather disappointing poster (where are all of the robots running amuck?). I couldn't resist though. As an unofficial sequel (aka rip-off), I just had to get it to go with my "Westworld" and "Futureworld" posters, right? Are there robots in this thing?? I have never seen it because I fear that what I IMAGINE it would be like (sex robots killing their guests) and what it probably really is like (sex robots with NO violence) would be too opposite and would be an utter let down.

Okay--that's enough for now. I have a lot more I'll post later.

Off to bed-y bye.  Good night and CHEERS!

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
Howdy... I just wanted to slap on a few more purchases from the last 3 or 4 years I saved on my photobucket account. Whoopie... 

It's gimmick time once again... I do not recall buying this poster at all, but must have or else why is it in my photobucket account? It's just my type of poster---a cool horror double feature complemented by a super cool theater gimmick, the Witch Deflector! Zowie!  I want one.  Only the Witch Deflector can save you from the eerie web of the unknown! Jeepers! Why don't they have more gimmicks like that today?  On another note, I find it funny that Mr. Goody Two Shoes, Pat Boone is the star of the 2nd billed horror movie! Ha!

Speaking of my fondness for movie gimmicks, you know I have to be a fan of Mr. Gimmick himself, William Castle. I have MOST of the posters for his horror films (the impossible dream being "House on Haunted Hill"...sigh...). I finally scored "I Saw What You Did" sometime over the last few years. As far as I can tell, this title was fairly gimmick free...other than screaming that the film dealt with the freaky and ominous sounding "uxoricide" (which is the act of a man killing his wife). SHOCKING!!!

Then, for those who think young and naughty, comes this mid-60s early nudie cutie "SINderella and the Golden Bra"! HA!!! Too funny. I couldn't resist. The movie is out on DVD from Something Weird Video--and I have it, just have not gotten around to watching it yet. I just have a feeling it will never be as good as the groovy poster promises.

Okay, NOT a real "Beach Party" movie, but looks like a fun knock off anyway, I picked this up because I had never heard of it, the ad copy was fun and it stars Joy Harmon (the giant blonde with super-sized cleavage clutching that normal-sized country bumpkin character on the "Village of the Giants" one sheet). Zowie! Whatever happened to her?

During the last few years, I also branched out and scored two posters for old serials. Here is "Blazing the Overland Trail" chapter 6:

and "The Great Adventures of Captain Kidd" chapter 3.  It's kind of funny that it never occurred to me there would be posters for the serials. D'oh!  Glad to learn there are...

I also started branching out and getting a few foreign posters--though not anything as nice as the beautiful pieces I've seen on here. Aside from the few Mexican posters I shared on my introduction page at the request of "Deke Thornton", I got this old peplum poster for one of the flicks that starred Ed Fury!

"Guess What Happened To Count Dracula" is a movie you've probably never heard of, despite the awesome poster. Oh man, the movie is B-O-R-I-N-G!!!  Aside from the poster, the only redeeming thing about it was a look into the famous Magic Castle magicians' club in Hollywood circa the mid-70s. But sometimes the best posters happen to the worst movies--this is one of those times:

Rounding out this post are two vintage horror posters. The first is the low budget drive in flick "Hands of a Strangler":

followed by the psychedelically weird poster for a truly awful (and boring) flick called "Dr. Tarr's Torture Dungeon"! Again, the best thing about it is the poster!

That's it for now. Until next time,kiddies... CHEERS!

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
Just as I was getting ready for bed, I clicked the photobucket site to close it down, but somehow advanced to the next page and there were another 10 or so posters I thought were worthy of sharing (more or less). Quickly, here they are:

H. G. Lewis, the Godfather of Gore, strikes again with "The Gore Gore Girls"!!!  Although this is a rather lack-luster poster for one of Lewis' more sensational horror/gore flicks, I am THRILLED to have it. I've got about 4 more of his horror titles left to collect, but he has a lot of other zany exploitation flicks out there with poster as well.

Here is yet another example of the poster being far better than the movie itself..."THE FOREST"! It's a horror, alright...a horror to have to sit through. SNORE!  Such a turd, but an amazingly effective poster!

Yet another example of my blaxploitation horror collection, "SCREAM BLACULA SCREAM"!  In an interesting side note, after Blacula (William Marshall) hung up his fangs, he was the (2nd) King of Cartoons on "Pee Wee's Playhouse" in the 80s. Ha!

Here are two more sword & sandal era epics, "Hercules Against the Moon Men" is a great poster and one of the more wonky movies of the period. I liked these films, but I especially loved the ones that involved witches,magic, etc. They were far more inventive and imaginative. I know I bought the poster, but do not know why this photo is in my photobucket instead of the poster and this is clearly a pristine example and mine is obviously folded and theater used. Hmm...

The other is "Sandokan the Great"--not a gladiator flick, but another one on the fringe. This one stars Steve "Hercules" Reeves and was made at the tail end of the era before Italy went gung-ho for the Spaghetti Westerns.

Here is another of the great William Castle's one sheets. This is for the Joan Crawford vehicle "STRAIT JACKET"!!!  Again, this one did not apparently have a gimmick (no "coward's corner" as in "Homicidal", no Emergo as in "House on Haunted Hill", no death by fright burial insurance as with "Macabre", etc.). I have heard vague rumors that audience goers were given free little cardboard axes. Ha! That could have been fun.

Another gimmick appears on the one sheet for "The Magic Face". Columbia Pictures will pay you $10,000 if you can prove the story (something about Hitler being alive!?!) is not true! Zowie! I think the offer is as yet unclaimed. Maybe we should look into this...

Two more gimmicks---3D flicks from the 80s--are evident in the one sheet for the Dino DeLaurentis produced "Amityville 3D"

and the British quad for "Treasure of the Four Crowns" (and, I've seen the film several times...I only count three crowns in it. WHERE is the 4th???):

The 10th and final poster for this posting is the one sheet for the 1948 thriller "DISASTER". I had never heard of this until I encountered the half sheet at a flea market (it has completely different art, with people standing around big piles of rubble,etc.). I love disaster films, but have yet been able to track this curiosity down. Great old-school art though!

Mirosae

"Hitler killed in Shame murder" well..that's quite a plot and quite a poster...!

I have seen it all.. :P Thanks 4 sharing  thumbsup.gif

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
...killed "After a wild wine party!" no less.

Thanks, as always Rosa, for stopping by and saying hello. You are always welcome here.  CHEERS!

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
Hi. Just another quick batch of 10 acquisitions from the the last 3 years or so.

Gotta get to bed--eeek!

"COUNT DRACULA AND HIS VAMPIRE BRIDE"---the last of the Christopher Lee Drac's and my first poster in the series. (It's also the cheapest and most easily available... Ha!)

The latest "Oz" re-release (G-version). Yes, like everyone else, I have one too. But did you see it? SO AWESOME in 3D and restored! WOW!

While I have all of the James Bond one sheets (truth be told, most of the older ones are the 80s re-release versions) and the combo re-release posters. I am missing ONE combo poster. But this one, the Fantastic Bond Sale with "Thunderball" and "From Russia With Love" was the poster that brought it down from needing two to only needing one. Yahoo! LOVE this!

Grindhouse time again... A week or so ago I got the one sheet for the 80s cult hit "Silent Night Deadly Night". A long while back I also picked up the one sheet for the awful sequel (it played theatrically? Apparently the answer is YES)--"Silent Night Deadly Night 2". This has to be rare-ish. But who'd want it? I do.Ha!

When I was a kid, I remember seeing this film advertised in the newspaper, only where I lived it was called "Cry of a Hooker" instead of "Cry of a Prostitute". The title always struck me as funny. NOT because the hooker is crying/hurt, but because I interpreted cry as in "call" like "call of the wild" or "cry of a wolf"...and I always wondered what the call of a hooker would be. "Hey mister! Got a dollar?" Probably something like that. Anway, for years I looked for this poster with the "Hooker" title--but have never seen it. I tried to get the "Prostitute" version (only version, I guess) but it always seemed to go higher than I wanted to pay. Then one day it was on for bidding again and no one else bid. It was mine for a dollar. Ha! My version is in nicer condition than shown here--not that it's much of a poster to begin with:

"Swingers"--never seen it and know nothing about it...but I love the young and skinny Vince Vaughn (!!!) offering me a cocktail. How cool if that was in 3D. It would be perfect for a bar area... Maybe someday... Ha!

I'd love to get the one sheet to Veronica Lake's comeback/swan song "Flesh Feast", but I don't want to pay $100 for it. Luckily I picked up this half sheet for hardly anything! Zowie! What a sale!

Gimmick movie!!!  "Chamber of Horrors" came with the FEAR FLASHER and HORROR HORN for the frightening bits on the screen (flasher to close your eyes--horn to open them again). I got the poster for the gimmick, but when I finally saw the film...well,why bother? Ho hum.

Another euro poster for an old peplum flick. Oh boy.

The last poster tonight is also a gimmick poster..."The Starlets" was presented in 4D!!  HUH???  I don't have a clue how that worked (3D plus...what?), but I had to have the poster...even though it's for an X film. Zowie!

Okay--sleep calls.

Good night