Author Topic: Why own it if I can't display it?  (Read 12138 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Why own it if I can't display it?
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2014, 11:05:29 PM »
Me too.  Just go them to sleep.  Time for wine and pot!!!

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline movieposterodyssey

• Hobbyist
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2014, 12:44:42 AM »
You and your *****s.  You're funny.  Okay, I'll try to put it up.

I can tell you one thing, though.  I've had a few very expensive (to me) posters in that frame my father-in-law built in the hallway.  My wife and I are very social people, so people come and go all the time.  Most of them don't even mention the expensive posters in the frame.  But that Star Wars got A LOT of freakin' comments.  I guess I touched a nerve and maybe turned a few people into collecting.  There is definitely something about Star Wars that gives men a hard on.

T

LOL...it's funny how that happens.You could have a house full of Universal material along with one poster from a recent movie, hanging up, and they would be more interested in the new poster.
Ahhh...the pains of a poster collector.

The SW poster was so huge they had no choice but to say something. :) 

Pancho

« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2014, 12:53:06 AM »
My personal approach is this: "why own it if I can't look at it". I collect mainly one sheets and most are stored in mylar sleeves with backing boards in a box. I plan to frame a few posters in the future. In either instance, I will be able to look at the posters anytime I want to, if they are on the wall or if they are in a sleeve in a storage box. Storing posters folded or in tubes means the posters can't be looked at without inconvenience and the risk of damage.

On a side note, I think those of you who put your investments at risk by displaying them on the wall without any protection whatsoever are bat shit crazy or rich as well, or both. Just my two cents.

I agree with this idea - I can look at all my posters whenever I want to even though I've only got 4 framed on the wall. To me the question of why have them if you can't display them all at once is a bit like asking why have CDs if you don't listen to each one every day or watch every DVD you own. The having is the first step - the displaying / framing can happen over time.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2014, 01:07:36 AM »
Why not get an air hockey table and modify it? I'll come down and help you shoot pics all day then go a few rounds on the table, luls.

I thought of that early on and went so far as to start keeping tabs on Craigslist for one.  However, after some research I figured that the hole spacing would be too big.  In my plywood vac board I drilled 1" on center across a 36"x48" sheet (1500+ holes!).  It worked awesome for flat posters and folded posters, but it couldn't keep up with rolled posters (with a strong curl -- which most have) and definitely not linen. 

That all said, if you pre-flatten I bet an air hockey table would work as a cheap solution. 

Mirosae

« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2014, 03:35:32 AM »
There is definitely something about Star Wars that gives men a hard on.

T

My money is on the flashing swords..or rubber tights ;D

Incidentally, my sis is a major Star Wars fan. Miss Freaky..knows every word. So that's equality for you.

Steven11788

« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2014, 05:12:44 PM »
I have about 500 plus OS. with the goal of 200.00 framed, of course "tastefully" about 40 can be hung at once, so I will get alot of taking down and putting up, lol

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2014, 03:14:26 PM »
Care to share photos of your setup?  I built a vacuum board a few weeks back, but I tried to make it REALLY light so it could be temporarily hung for photo-sessions.  Problem was that the the materials (PVC and plywood) ended up warping and I couldn't get even lighting on the board anymore.  I'm about to rebuild another one that will lay flat on the ground and shoot from overhead with my camera on a boom.  How did you do lighting?  I've tried both 2 strobes and 4 constant lights at the corners.  Neither are perfect but the inconsistencies only show up with flat black (or backgrounds with sold, dark colors) Eastern European posters.  It would be great if you can share your setup here:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php?topic=2958.0

P.S. My setup has changed several times since that first post...

Harry, I will post pictures of the setup in that thread that you suggested now.

Mike that is a cool story.
but what happens when the Home Buyers Storage Wars Zombie Apocalypse takes place?
 ;D

Rich, when the Home Buyers Storage Wars Zombie Apocalypse happens, I already have my personally trained army of living dead soldiers to counteract it.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 06:51:10 PM by mwright »