Author Topic: Why own it if I can't display it?  (Read 12035 times)

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
Re: Why own it if I can't display it?
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2014, 12:24:59 AM »
Hey! I have one of those, too!

Oh, and nice poster, btw. :)

PS - For the love of humanity, THE UV DAMAGE - MAKE IT STOP!!!

PSS - Can you just imagine the story this poster will have to tell to all the other posters once it returns to 'the room'?  :P
Witty signature goes here.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2014, 12:55:59 AM »
...But that Star Wars got A LOT of freakin' comments.  I guess I touched a nerve and maybe turned a few people into collecting.  There is definitely something about Star Wars that gives men a hard on.

Everyone wants a good lightsaber...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2014, 07:45:07 AM »
As a relatively recent entrant into the hobby (10 years or so) I decided that the hobby (or perhaps my taste) was too expensive for me to buy stuff to sit in a closet and only occasionally look at. I try to only obtain items I can display now or intend to display someday. My tastes develop and change though, so I have found myself selling items I'm no longer interested in, to buy others.

I could never get a tattoo. Framing a poster is the closest I'll come to that type of long term commitment to one design. I've even sold posters I once had framed.

It's also important to note that I am not a typical collector. For most collectors of just about everything, the fun is in the chase, and I understand that. For me that's not as important as displaying it.  I like movie posters because they look friggin' awesome hanging on the wall, so having a huge collection that I don't display isn't for me.

Well said and said well General Veers:

GeneralVeers

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2014, 07:56:09 AM »
 ;D

The last time I checked, I don't have a lot of posters that feature the cowbell. And I'd be doing myself and my collection disservice, if I didn't display the HELL out of this.

For those of you outside the US who have no idea what More Cowbell is:

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2014, 08:46:22 AM »
I guess I touched a nerve and maybe turned a few people into collecting.  There is definitely something about Star Wars that gives men a hard on.

Because Star Wars makes men and some women feel like kids again.  I remember seeing the original Star Wars in a movie theater in 1977 when I was 10 years old.  Back then, there were no multiplexes so we had an, old-school theater with one big screen.  From the opening star destroyer sequence with that immense ship flying over me on the screen for what seemed like minutes, I was hooked.  When I watch it now, even with Lucas' annoying tampering, I still feel nostalgic.

I think this clip from Field of Dreams captures that concept pretty well.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7SB16il97yw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7SB16il97yw</a>
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 08:46:57 AM by jpicken »

Mirosae

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2014, 01:14:47 PM »
Someday, to paraphrase Maureen O'hara in THE QUIET MAN, "I want my things about me".  wynk

I dont own if i cant display it. I have a list of what I want. Not that many. Probably few in my list I will never get. I want MY posters. Just a few. And I do want to display them. I will never get tired of seeing my John Wayne and Maureen O'hara poster The Quiet Man, which i hope to have on display one day.

"I want my things about me". Indeed.

I don't buy shoes that I can't wear. I won't buy posters i cant display either. We're all different.

:D

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2014, 03:28:53 PM »
I have 3 or 4 posters hung and I'm perfect with that.  What I like are the digital photos I have of my entire collection.  I made a vacuum table for less than $100, bought a 24 megapixel Nikon camera with a flat field lens and took well lit pictures of everything.  It was a TON OF WORK but all are now accessed with the click of a mouse.  My collection is mainly Thai, so zooming in and out of hand painted detail is hours of great fun.  I make high quality small prints to scatter around the apartment.  I post photos of my posters on Facebook for my friends.

None are on my walls, none are cluttering my personal space, all are stored offsite in POLYETHYLENE sleeves with non acidic backings in a temperature controlled environment for years of preservation, yet I'm entertained by my collection everyday.  The key is the time and care that went into taking the digital photos and it was WELL WORTH IT!

Offline lynaron

• Collector
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2014, 03:32:55 PM »
I dont own if i cant display it. I have a list of what I want. Not that many. Probably few in my list I will never get. I want MY posters. Just a few. And I do want to display them. I will never get tired of seeing my John Wayne and Maureen O'hara poster The Quiet Man, which i hope to have on display one day.

"I want my things about me". Indeed.

I don't buy shoes that I can't wear. I won't buy posters i cant display either. We're all different.

:D

I've never seen a shoe that was worth a poster  ;D
I'll raise a glass to the illusion but drink to the reality.

Mirosae

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2014, 03:37:01 PM »
I've never seen a shoe that was worth a poster  ;D

;D

Very fuuuuunny

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2014, 03:44:30 PM »
I have 3 or 4 posters hung and I'm perfect with that.  What I like are the digital photos I have of my entire collection.  I made a vacuum table for less than $100, bought a 24 megapixel Nikon camera with a flat field lens and took well lit pictures of everything.  It was a TON OF WORK but all are now accessed with the click of a mouse.  My collection is mainly Thai, so zooming in and out of hand painted detail is hours of great fun.  I make high quality small prints to scatter around the apartment.  I post photos of my posters on Facebook for my friends.

None are on my walls, none are cluttering my personal space, all are stored offsite in POLYETHYLENE sleeves with non acidic backings in a temperature controlled environment for years of preservation, yet I'm entertained by my collection everyday.  The key is the time and care that went into taking the digital photos and it was WELL WORTH IT!

Mike that is a cool story.
but what happens when the Home Buyers Storage Wars Zombie Apocalypse takes place?
 ;D

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2014, 04:54:52 PM »

Care to share photos of your setup?  I built a vacuum board a few weeks back, but I tried to make it REALLY light so it could be temporarily hung for photo-sessions.  Problem was that the the materials (PVC and plywood) ended up warping and I couldn't get even lighting on the board anymore.  I'm about to rebuild another one that will lay flat on the ground and shoot from overhead with my camera on a boom.  How did you do lighting?  I've tried both 2 strobes and 4 constant lights at the corners.  Neither are perfect but the inconsistencies only show up with flat black (or backgrounds with sold, dark colors) Eastern European posters.  It would be great if you can share your setup here:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php?topic=2958.0

P.S. My setup has changed several times since that first post...

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2014, 09:15:54 PM »
Where are your pics to date...can we see some from the rig you were using?

Are you making a site like Ed's?
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2014, 09:21:15 PM »

+1  ;D

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2014, 09:45:08 PM »

If you are talking to me, then you can see the Underwater quad in that thread I linked to.  That was just with halogen work lamps shining thru drop ceiling light diffusers.  It worked ok, but the color of the lighting was off, it wasn't even and unless they happened to be flat, the posters had to be weighted down.  I could have moved to a steel sheet and magnets, but if I was going to go to that trouble I decided to should build a vac table. 

So recently I tried to build one that would be *really* light weight so I could use our living room temporarily as a photo studio -- blow through 100-200 pics in a few hours, and then spend a few weeks posting everything.  Repeat.  Problem was, I used a PVC frame with plywood sandwiched on either side with liquid nails.  It was 100% flat when I assembled it.  However, I think because of torque on frame from the hanging hooks it warped after only a few weeks or so while I was messing around with lighting.  Next vac table will be built thicker, with wood, and will sit on the floor so I won't have to worry about warping.  It will also be made with a pre-perforated metal sheet.  I hand drilled the plywood -- Ugh.  The spacing was too great so it barely worked for rolled posters.  Linen was out of the question. 

As for lighting, I tried 2-strobes facing each other about 4 feet away from the poster, but that was the max the room would allow and the edges were too bright.  Then I tried 4 corner constant lights (daylight CFLs made for portraiture) bouncing into white umbrellas.  That was a bit more even, but I couldn't get it exactly correct -- the problem turned out to be the warped vac board.  So now I'm hoping that when I move up to my attic with the floor setup that I'll have enough space to push the strobes back further to even them out.  You can use faster shutter speeds and don't need to worry as much about vibrations and what not.  If that doesn't work I can always go back to the 4 corner lights and a 1/4 second shutter -- and they will be INFINITELY easier to place when sitting on the floor.  Trying to get 4 corner lights setup evenly on a vertical board was insane.  You have to remember that it was a temporary room so everything had to be free-standing.  I had two booms on stands for the top two lights.  It was a mess.  As it is now I'm going to have to have the camera on a boom, which I'm not happy about, but it does seem like the best of a bunch of compromised options.  If I had a dedicated space I could simply attach the vac board to the wall properly and move the strobes back until they were even across the poster.  Done. 

You also have to understand that I'm being ridiculously anal about this.  Shooting overhead with 2 strobes will look amazing for probably 99% of my posters.  The only times I noticed slight unevenness in the lighting was on posters where the majority of the background was matte black.  Even then the falloff at the center was very minor.  Still, I want to get it *perfect* so I'll have no desire in the future to reshoot anything.  With my $100 halogen setup I probably shot 100+ posters before I realized that it wasn't working the way I wanted.  I vowed not to have to reshoot them a third time! 

Here is that Underwater quad shot with my first crude halogen/floor setup:

Here is an example of shooting with 2 strobes on my 1st vac board before it warped:

And yes, my goal is to put together an Eastern European reference site -- a la Ed's FilmOnPaper.  The Polish, and to a lesser extent the Czechs, get all the attention.  But to my knowledge no one has done a nice comprehensive site that covers more countries.  There are very cool Hungarians, Romanians, East Germans, Russians and even some Yugos (;)) that are waiting to be appreciated.  And one of the coolest things is to see how the posters for the same movie compare across those countries.  Stay tuned... but don't hold your breath!

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2014, 01:08:01 AM »
My personal approach is this: "why own it if I can't look at it". I collect mainly one sheets and most are stored in mylar sleeves with backing boards in a box. I plan to frame a few posters in the future. In either instance, I will be able to look at the posters anytime I want to, if they are on the wall or if they are in a sleeve in a storage box. Storing posters folded or in tubes means the posters can't be looked at without inconvenience and the risk of damage.

On a side note, I think those of you who put your investments at risk by displaying them on the wall without any protection whatsoever are bat shit crazy or rich as well, or both. Just my two cents.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2014, 11:24:11 AM »
HC, really appreciate the thorough and thoughtful reply here. This info really helps my plans here, and I hope it is good advice for others as well.

I see what you mean re: lighting, especially with that Underwater quad. It does look a bit off...too yellowish.
Have you considered duplicating what Bruce and Co. do? Seems like an efficient way to get the job done with the magnets, if their appearance doesn't bother you for your photog archive purposes.

Wish I could drive down to your place and help you for an afternoon towards the goal of completing Vac Table 2 or the next set up. Love seeing that stuff come together.

Best of luck on the new site too...Ed's site is a fantastic one to emulate to be sure. Keep us all posted on that as you progress! cheers

I was mistaken,

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2014, 11:39:53 AM »
HC, really appreciate the thorough and thoughtful reply here. This info really helps my plans here, and I hope it is good advice for others as well.

I see what you mean re: lighting, especially with that Underwater quad. It does look a bit off...too yellowish.

Not just the yellow-tint, that can usually be fixed in post with white balance adjustments.  But look at the white border -- you can see how the exposure changes around the poster.  It's probably fine for busy posters like this, but it's much more noticeable on posters with solid backgrounds (which is nearly all Eastern European posters).  That unevenness is MUCH more difficult to tweak in post -- it's better to just get your lighting nice and even in the first place.

Have you considered duplicating what Bruce and Co. do? Seems like an efficient way to get the job done with the magnets, if their appearance doesn't bother you for your photog archive purposes.

I ruled out magnets as I want to see every bit of the poster.  My 1st setup that used weights cast shadows in 4 directions -- small ones, but they were there for sure.  I would love to replicate Bruce's lighting setup, but that would require probably >$1000 just in strobes.  Also, my other lighting-limitation is room size.  I would love to own a whole block to spread out in :)

Wish I could drive down to your place and help you for an afternoon towards the goal of completing Vac Table 2 or the next set up. Love seeing that stuff come together.
Best of luck on the new site too...Ed's site is a fantastic one to emulate to be sure. Keep us all posted on that as you progress! cheers

Any time, I'd love an extra set of hands!  This may all seem like nit-picking to most on the forum here who are simply documenting their collections.  However, with my new site, when people see it I want them to think "Museum Reference Gallery" and not "Movie Posters" if that makes any sense.  If I'm going to highlight these posters to a broader audience then I feel like I should do it correctly.

Also, I'm just really anal.   ;D

Mirosae

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2014, 01:27:52 PM »
Hey! I have one of those, too!

Hey Congratulations Mike. ..baby girl or baby boy?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2014, 01:32:13 PM »
I thought Mike meant he also had the SW 6sh poster.....  qip

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2014, 01:41:36 PM »
Those are obligatory with babies... we have one too! 

Mirosae

« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2014, 01:46:05 PM »
Blimey. ..You guys know how to keep yourselves busy..congrats all ;D woohoo

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2014, 10:06:23 PM »
Not just the yellow-tint, that can usually be fixed in post with white balance adjustments.  But look at the white border -- you can see how the exposure changes around the poster.  It's probably fine for busy posters like this, but it's much more noticeable on posters with solid backgrounds (which is nearly all Eastern European posters).  That unevenness is MUCH more difficult to tweak in post -- it's better to just get your lighting nice and even in the first place.

I ruled out magnets as I want to see every bit of the poster.  My 1st setup that used weights cast shadows in 4 directions -- small ones, but they were there for sure.  I would love to replicate Bruce's lighting setup, but that would require probably >$1000 just in strobes.  Also, my other lighting-limitation is room size.  I would love to own a whole block to spread out in :)

Any time, I'd love an extra set of hands!  This may all seem like nit-picking to most on the forum here who are simply documenting their collections.  However, with my new site, when people see it I want them to think "Museum Reference Gallery" and not "Movie Posters" if that makes any sense.  If I'm going to highlight these posters to a broader audience then I feel like I should do it correctly.

Also, I'm just really anal.   ;D

Agreed on white balancing and such via post, but it never turns out as true as being correctly balanced pre-shooting. Never looks 'correct' I guess you could say.

Why not get an air hockey table and modify it? I'll come down and help you shoot pics all day then go a few rounds on the table, luls.

I was mistaken,

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2014, 10:47:56 PM »
Hey Congratulations Mike. ..baby girl or baby boy?

Thanks, Rosa! It's a girl.
And to stay on topic, her pictures are displayed all over our walls.  ;D

Doesn't everybody? ;)

Those are obligatory with babies... we have one too! 

Congrats, HC!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2014, 10:52:50 PM »

Me too.  Congrats, Mike.  And good luck ;)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2014, 11:00:03 PM »
Me too.  Congrats, Mike.  And good luck ;)

T

Hah, thanks. So far so zzzzzzz.......