Author Topic: Anyone collect anything vintage?  (Read 100787 times)

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
Anyone collect anything vintage?
« on: May 14, 2010, 03:53:16 PM »
cause it seems everyone collects a whole bunch of modern crap here.

linder1

Re: Anyone collect anything vintage?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 03:57:41 PM »
Tell us how you really feel.

I think there are a fair number of collectors here that are into vintage material (depending on your definition of vintage), but they post less often than others.

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 04:09:26 PM »
There are a few of us that collect stuff older than yesterday, but for the sake of full disclosure I have to admit I've picked up some posters from the 70's recently  :o  I keep them separate from the vintage stuff, of course   ;)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 04:12:50 PM »

Hahahaha...this made my day!
Chris

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 04:47:17 PM »
The good thing about modern paper is that when the End of Days is upon us, guys like Mel will have something to wipe their ass with  ;)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 04:53:16 PM »
If movie paper from the 60s comes in contact with something from the 80s or later will it contract this poster malady known commonly to the collector as crappiness?

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 05:10:02 PM »
Ah my favorite type of post "what you collect is shit, while my taste in collectibles is the end all be all".  eyeroll

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 05:27:52 PM »
We really need this smilie to make it obvious when someone is kidding

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 05:40:04 PM »
I find posters from all eras interesting and collectible.  When something vintage that I want arises that is affordable --and that is rare -- I'll buy it.  But I try not to look down my nose at others' tastes, Louie D. 

spacething

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 06:02:50 PM »

The bulk of my collection is stuff from the 1960's and 1970's, not sure if that's considered vintage or not.  My favorite films and posters are from those times.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 06:05:43 PM »

So you like Raging Bull, hey?  Isn't it a little too modern for someone of your awesome pedigree?

I collect 1800 fine art.  Is that old enough for you?

One thing that I've learned about collecting, is that there is no right or wrong.  Some people collect modern stuff (post 1970), some people like older material.  But in all fairness, all of this is pretty new, since movies are just over 100 years old.  Some people collect for prosperity, some for investment purposes, some for the art, some because it makes them happy.  I don't think one is better than the other, it's whatever rocks your boat.  

So, although I understand collecting modern posters can turn off some, I don't think it's a good enough reason to put it down and be condescending.  1990 posters will be considered old one day, so will all of us.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 07:45:48 PM »
Pfffft.  Old crap.  Who would want any of that?  Whassamadda grampa?  Miss the good old days?

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 12:00:17 AM »
Lotta dudes pissy cause most of their collection is modern.  It's OK, fellers, but you gotta relax a bit.  And ducolax399, yer pic is too large.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 07:59:52 AM »
To each his own.  95% of pre-1960 posters have no appeal to me at all - they look like these.

But your original point is well taken.  This forum is dominated by modern posters, for better or worse.  That is why I suggested several months ago that we create a vintage section for those interested but the idea was shot down. 

I still think it's a good idea, so perhaps you all should appeal to the powers that be to create a special forum section - not just a "fight club" thread like this.

linder1

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 08:24:14 AM »
Lotta dudes pissy cause most of their collection is modern.  It's OK, fellers, but you gotta relax a bit.  And ducolax399, yer pic is too large.

I see you like to get attention.  Wow, you have some serious cojones throwing around mild insults on a POSTER FORUM.  Yes, let's please start another tempest in a teapot.

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2010, 08:36:32 AM »
My collection is mainly modern - purely because it's affordable to buy posters I like from the last 30 years.

Perhaps in another 20 years, I'll be able to afford to collect older posters...I reckon the prices may fall due to the relevance of a lot of older films to the next generation.

wonka

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2010, 09:09:33 AM »
I actually don't collect posters, I collect actual Egyptian mummies, preferably from the 3rd to the 6th dynasties.

One day you guys will see my collection in an exhibit near you...

So suck on that, Louie D....you and all your modern movie paper you think is so old...

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2010, 09:25:59 AM »
My collection is mainly modern - purely because it's affordable to buy posters I like from the last 30 years.

Perhaps in another 20 years, I'll be able to afford to collect older posters...I reckon the prices may fall due to the relevance of a lot of older films to the next generation.

It's a misconception that all older paper is more expensive.  You can often buy MP from the 20's - 50's for what you'd pay for a modern equivalent, dependent on what you like to collect.  Just like with moderns, the better pieces will command higher prices, but there's a lot that's very affordable.  You just have to search it out

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2010, 09:28:16 AM »
I collect meteorites as well.  They make Wonka's mummies look like something straight out of the Jetsons.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2010, 10:50:08 AM »
I see you like to get attention.  Wow, you have some serious cojones throwing around mild insults on a POSTER FORUM.  Yes, let's please start another tempest in a teapot.

Not trying to start anything, just sick of seeing new posters in latest acquisitions and other topics.  I just wish other who collected vintage would post their collections here, or maybe they aren't too driven to do that.

linder1

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2010, 10:57:32 AM »
Not trying to start anything, just sick of seeing new posters in latest acquisitions and other topics.  I just wish other who collected vintage would post their collections here, or maybe they aren't too driven to do that.

Then I'd strongly recommend leading by example by starting a thread with some vintage material you'd like to talk about rather than insulting modern material.  It's unproductive to do otherwise.  Insulting anyone/anything will get a reaction but will not guide the discussion in the direction you want it to go.

I'm sure you already know all of this.

Pick a favorite poster or subject and click on "new topic".  That's going to be a hell of a lot more interesting.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2010, 12:02:16 PM »
Actually, Louie, you deserve a real answer to your question.  So, here is why my collection is notably lacking in vintage paper.  I generally collect paper from films I love.  Alas, all of the vintage films I love have posters that are far out of my price range.  I would love nothing more than to own a one sheet for The Oxbow Incident, City Lights, Double Indemnity, an Italian piece for Bicycle Thief, a Swedish Frankenstein.  Realistically though, I probably never will.

Probably in all my collecting, the "one that got away" for me was a vintage piece.  It was an original Hungarian piece for Stagecoach.  I looked at it countless times on ebay for $350 and one day it was gone.  Did anyone on here pick that one up???

As for meteorites, I dont really collect them.  I almost got hit by one while flying over Afghanistan a few years ago, but that is a story for another time.......

Schan
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2010, 12:07:46 PM »
I don't see any problems in creating a permanent vintage thread, as long as everyone agrees on what vintage means, and the cut off years.

According to Wiktionary:
- having an enduring appeal; classic
- of a car built between 1919 and 1930
- of a watch produced between the years 1870 and 1980

But what does it mean for movie posters?  Can we all agree?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2010, 12:09:34 PM »
Same thoughts here.  The vintage paper that I love I see in books dedicated to those posters.  I just can't afford to purchase them for my collection.  Thierry collects a lot of paper that, at the lease, is nearly vintage, or foreign posters for what would be vintage paper in the US.  Mel is right to a large extent - most of the vintage paper isn't worth using for toilet paper.  If you look over at NS4, there's a lot of vintage-era stuff there that the eclectics collect, much of which I love.  I myself have vintage Japanese paper for a few titles.

Though I have no statistics to back it up, my gut says based on a few years of experience that new people that come into collecting AND that are inclined to frequent forums like this, cannot purchase vintage classics for lack of funds.  If you've got the huge pocketbook to purchase that kind of stuff, do you think you'd be slumming it with us here?  I doubt it.  Show me a single person who is well-monied and posts to boards like this and I'll kiss your ass.  The two just don't mix.

The closest you will find to vintage folks is at Mopo.  And, even there, they don't post pics of their stuff.  I know for a fact that one member of Mopo has one of the most formidable Charlie Chaplin collections known, but you won't see him posting pictures of it.

If you can find an answer to your question in these thoughts, then you're better than me.  But, those are my thoughts nonetheless.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2010, 12:14:17 PM »
I don't see any problems in creating a permanent vintage thread, as long as everyone agrees on what vintage means, and the cut off years.

According to Wiktionary:
- having an enduring appeal; classic
- of a car built between 1919 and 1930
- of a watch produced between the years 1870 and 1980

But what does it mean for movie posters?  Can we all agree?

T

But that's the point I have.  Defining "vintage" is nothing but an arbitrary task.  Are we to specify a thread or area for every area of collecting?  We'll have a front page that reads like a census page.  Plus, I don't think it's prudent to split the two and end up having the vintage folks sniping at the modern folks.

I don't think there's a chance in hell that everyone here will agree on the date ranges.  But, I don't mind the exercise.

Moreover, what happens if someone thinks a poster is vintage, and it isn't.  Or, someone posts something they think belongs in one thread, but others complain. Or, how about Metropolis as an example.  Is the new rerelease poster going to be part of the vintage thread, even though brand new, because it's for a vintage film?

Finally, and most importantly, the definitions we set now could put off potential future members because they don't agree with our definitions - an opinion to which those folks would be entitled.

Show me how to adequately meet these concerns for present and future members and we'll have a vintage area.  Until then, I don't think it's wise.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.