Author Topic: L.A. Confidental Proof Sheet (1997)  (Read 4375 times)

Cletis

L.A. Confidental Proof Sheet (1997)
« on: December 24, 2013, 03:40:44 PM »
Here's a picture of a L.A. confidential proof sheet with a very high gloss dated August 19, 1997.  It is of size 27x40in.

It was marked on by a proof artist at Warner Bros. studios before the finished poster came out,  This is a one of a kind item and I would like to share it with others,  

Maybe someone could enlighten me to its value and rarity.  I do also have a second poster not pictured hat is marked up differently as well.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 03:44:53 PM by Cletis »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: L.A. Confidental Proof Sheet (1997)
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 11:04:15 PM »
Didn't Mel post something very similar to this?
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 11:51:00 PM »
Yes I posted these in the authentication section. (I'm assuming Cletis is the same person who sent me these pictures.)

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,3323.0.html

These pictures prove that this was intended as a second international one sheet.

Emovieposter sold two unmarked recently for $2000ish:

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/search/l.a.%2520confidential/archive.html

Surely the markings reduce the value substantially but it's definitely a cool collector's item.  
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 11:53:52 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 12:01:16 AM »
Surely the markings reduce the value substantially but it's definitely a cool collector's item.  

Why would that be? I think something like this would increase the value.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 11:59:26 AM »
Well I'll be a monkey's uncle, you mean a printers proof, that's actually been proofed?

Maybe we shall have to come up with another name for those other "printers proofs"

Oh wait. Silly me. They are unmarked, UN proofed, printers proofs, (must be even rarer)

:p

Ps sorry No idea on value.

Ps, devils advocate, is a printers proof a real original movie poster? It was never intended to be used in a theatre...

Oh boy.....

Can of worms?

Double :p

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 12:11:27 PM »
Well I'll be a monkey's uncle, you mean a printers proof, that's actually been proofed?

Maybe we shall have to come up with another name for those other "printers proofs"

Oh wait. Silly me. They are unmarked, UN proofed, printers proofs, (must be even rarer)

:p

Ps sorry No idea on value.

Ps, devils advocate, is a printers proof a real original movie poster? It was never intended to be used in a theatre...

Oh boy.....

Can of worms?

Double :p

;D

Printers proof that been proofed? Crazy!

Not intended for theatres?...Poster conundrum!

woohoo

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 02:01:11 PM »
Why would that be? I think something like this would increase the value.

I agree with Louie.
Marked up the way it is makes it historic (if I dare use that term on a poster that is only 16 years old). 

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 02:42:48 PM »
They never fixed the issues identified on the proof.  It says "there is some shade and color in her cloak that needs to be visible."  On my copy the cloak is a featureless black.

Normally this kind of internal work product is not supposed to be sold.  Assuming neither Westland Graphics nor Warner Bros objected, this really should be auctioned.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 02:46:52 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 06:31:02 PM »
Here's a picture of a L.A. confidential proof sheet with a very high gloss dated August 19, 1997.  It is of size 27x40in.

It was marked on by a proof artist at Warner Bros. studios before the finished poster came out,  This is a one of a kind item and I would like to share it with others,  

Maybe someone could enlighten me to its value and rarity.  I do also have a second poster not pictured hat is marked up differently as well.

To see a proof sheet marked like this with potential or suggested changes, really gives some insight into the whole creative process, and ehat happens up until a final poster is approved.

-Jeff