Author Topic: framed posters and humidity  (Read 13736 times)

Steven11788

framed posters and humidity
« on: January 18, 2013, 10:39:39 PM »
OK, yea its been awhile, i have lurked all the time, just hadn't posted :-X  OK finally getting out of the Aunt house. my new place has a giant bonus room down stairs like 500 square feet.. My other big hobby is fish aquariums. So I plan to make it my fish room. OK the tallest tank still gives me a good 53 in so i could hang posters over were the tank is. All my tanks have lids and  this room is heated/cooled so it isn't really a basement. As I have never had more than 3 tanks up; i am not sure on humidity, I doubt it will??? Anyway so we all know that humidity isn't the best for posters. So my plan is all my frames for my older more rare posters is Archival frames from hollywood frames. if humidity would be a factor i assume it would be worst in summer. so I may pick up a dehumidifier.  blah blah, long way of saying if humidity is mild will it somehow get into my poster frames.

PS. I know they are paper and wont last forever but I do NOT in any way want to give them any kind of "rush"/
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 01:20:51 AM by erik1925 »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: framed poster and humidity
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 10:41:21 PM »
I can tell you one thing - I would not be putting my posters up on walls in a room filled with aquariums :)

But that's just me being overly cautious and OCD as usual
Chris

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 10:41:55 PM »
you can always get a dehumidifier

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Steven11788

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 10:44:56 PM »
I can tell you one thing - I would not be putting my posters up on walls in a room filled with aquariums :)

But that's just me being overly cautious and OCD as usual

I want to hear an answer beside that, lol as me personally, that's what i am thinking but honestly dint have a for fact answer though,  also I have 4 big ones, biggest 150  so full of tanks is kinda pushing it. i also have 2 walls without any tanks on them, but yea still i worry OCD as well moron1

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 11:52:55 PM »
Cover the walls in Jaws posters. Freak the fish out

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 04:01:36 AM »
Without knowing what size tanks, and type of fish your keeping. I used to keep fish myself, and you would be very surprised at how much humidity there will be in that room. (even with a dehumidifier going)
And to echo Chris, there's no way even my cheap posters would be on those walls...  Get some re-pros up, then it doesn't matter..!
It's more than a Hobby...

Steven11788

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 08:33:22 AM »
OK... my case is closed, OK to tac on, the house is a split foyer(sp?) out of the bonus room there is a hall before you reach basement then in middle up the bottom stair case, it has tons on room, so ever if it is near the bonus room, will they be bad to hang. there is door you can pull to close the bonus from rest of house. seems my 2 reason for getting a house seem to clash every were i go. I was excited to hang my poster and put tanks up.

PS. Paul, will have a 75 for fancy goldfish, a 120 for a community, a 55 which is planted, (was gonna put it upstairs as show tank but wanted a few posters in living room, so idk) and in future a 150 plus for Oscars, bichirs and other "monster" fish.   just mad. I have never been able to show and of my posters except my cheap ones, since when i went back at home, i was in guest room with a rule of NO nails. so i had my newer cheap ones in walmart frames with acid free backing

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 09:11:34 AM »
Are those dimensions in inches?    I had a 6 foot tank just for Discus, at one point. Breeding them was a bit of a pain, but worth it when you see them with the babies...  Also had a few Red Bellied Piranha in another tank, cleaning it always seemed.......Risky. :o     
It's more than a Hobby...

guest8

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 09:35:43 AM »
Mel has had posters in his bathroom and I havent heard him talk about any trouble with that. But to be safe Id suggest a de-humidifier as well.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 10:01:56 AM »
I use "flip frames" in the bathroom. The flips "lock down" so tight onto the plexi that I doubt any moisture gets in

I suspect it could seep into regular frames, however.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 10:56:56 AM »
Cover the walls in Jaws posters. Freak the fish out

;D ;D
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 10:58:35 AM »
Mel has had posters in his bathroom and I havent heard him talk about any trouble with that. But to be safe Id suggest a de-humidifier as well.

So I guess you're implying Mel actually turns on the shower?  ;)
Chris

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 12:04:55 PM »
Fish tanks + movie posters = disaster.

Especially if you get an archer fish...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/CzsYdYAXBmk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/CzsYdYAXBmk</a>  whip

Steven11788

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 11:24:02 PM »
Are those dimensions in inches?    I had a 6 foot tank just for Discus, at one point. Breeding them was a bit of a pain, but worth it when you see them with the babies...  Also had a few Red Bellied Piranha in another tank, cleaning it always seemed.......Risky. :o     

The 6 foot is a 120 the rest are in gallons. What are this flip locks you speak off

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 10:26:05 AM »
Here is a video showing flip frames
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 10:28:06 AM »
Here is a video showing flip frames

The way he is handling those posters I wonder if related to Professor Powers?
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 10:56:13 AM »
Professor Powers Fail!

Always take the flip frame off the wall before switching posters!

Steven11788

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 08:52:01 AM »
thanks yall

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 09:21:51 AM »
I reckon the professor did pretty well. Stuff unscrewing if you want to change posters.
His taste in posters on the other hand...

;D
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 09:15:36 PM »
Had piranhas for 15 yrs , they never attacked me or showed aggression when I cleaned the tank  :)

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 10:46:52 PM »
Those posters look really jacked up - from the manhandling (of course) and pressure of the frame and extremely thin plexi.(?)  Will 2 of those plexi sheets really prevent all the damage from the compression of those frames?

This video at 3:00 is pretty funny: "This is a lexan sheet....it's very sturdy...this one is an extra $29." :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOD3jRJjupo&list=PLDF2AE129DE58E06E&index=3

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 11:19:58 PM »
(1) You don't have to permanently mount these flip frames.  I just hang them from a couple of nails and can lift the frame off the wall in a couple of seconds.

(2) Yes, you definitely want to use thick plexi with these flip frames.  The flips exert tremendous pressure and can permanently wrinkle a poster very quickly - hundreds of permanent wrinkles along all the edges is not a lovely sight.  Spotlight Display now sells its flip frames with reasonably thick plexi sheets.  They used to provide very thin plexi sheets.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 11:21:44 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

guest4531

Re: framed posters and humidity
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2014, 07:07:28 AM »

SnapeZo

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2014, 06:44:06 PM »
Hi,

You can use a Weatherproof Snap Frame but since it is in a humid room, I would highly recommend laminating the poster or encapsulating it to just go the extra step to protect your poster. If it's a highly prized poster, there's no guarantee that even a waterproof or weatherproof snap frame will protect your poster 100% from humidity.

Good luck!

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2014, 09:22:20 PM »
Whatever you do, DON'T LAMINATE YOUR POSTER!

:P