Author Topic: Favorite Purchases of 2012  (Read 118356 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Your favorite purchases of 2012
« Reply #175 on: December 20, 2012, 06:06:58 PM »
You know, this is a question that keeps coming back to me every so often.  Ultimately, I don't expect anyone to understand my choices on a poster forum.  All I can say it that 1/  I don't really like posters on a wall.  I used to, but not anymore and 2/  Posters are not all I collect.  I also collect fine art, and I chose to display fine art.

T
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 06:07:30 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #176 on: December 20, 2012, 06:13:24 PM »
I don't think it was re-drawn at all.  It looks like a poor contrast copy that required touch-ups, like the Beast's teeth.
It is magnificent T and should be framed once it arrives.

Looks like worn out printing plates to me, though I know very little about the printing process.

Oh, and Charlie........outstanding quad!
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #177 on: December 20, 2012, 06:16:18 PM »
I understand and I don't.
I do, because my main collection of hammer daybills I don't have a desire to display.
Same with my ted v Mikels stuff.
I collect to collect with them.
The smaller collections I'd like to display. But as is the curse of many of us, I can't afford the frames.
So what does get displayed is lobby cards and smaller items where I can buy $4 frames.
If I did want to display my hammer stuff I'd feel like I had to do every one, and that's up over 150 and I don't see that happening, too much space let alone cash.
I do like to look at them though.

I think most collectors will own more posters than they can seriously believe will be displayed at some point.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #178 on: December 20, 2012, 06:27:05 PM »
Looks like worn out printing plates to me, though I know very little about the printing process.

It happens a lot.  Check the difference between an original And God Created Woman for 1956 and its 1964 re-release.  Both are my pictures.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 06:27:33 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #179 on: December 20, 2012, 07:27:54 PM »
I guess for me personally if I was ever going to spend the kind of $$$ Thierry did on that poster I would sure as hell have to be certain I am going to display it!

I am not all for displaying everything - that's just illogical - but for me the joy is not usually in the possession or ownership of something.  But I am not a completist either...

Forking out thousands of $ does not correlate with being rolled up in a tube with only an image in my mind or satisfaction in knowledge of possession.
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #180 on: December 20, 2012, 07:35:25 PM »
Brides of Dracula t hates French reissue the artwork is redone.

And yes, Chris, if I had the bucks and that beauty and the beast, it would hang, oh how it would hang.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #181 on: December 20, 2012, 07:38:45 PM »
Brides of Dracula t hates French reissue the artwork is redone.

And yes, Chris, if I had the bucks and that beauty and the beast, it would hang, oh how it would hang.

I think you'd use it as a bed spread Ari  bed1
Chris

Charlie

« Reply #182 on: December 20, 2012, 07:57:08 PM »
Oh, and Charlie........outstanding quad!

Love that quad Charlie...Grace looks mighty fine.

And Charlie...  Great poster.  Grats!

T

Yes, this is a beauty.  Congrats, Charlie.
 cheers

Thanks Guys! Its the only poster that has grace in full without boxes over parts of her or her dress...  The next best one is the Argentinian that I picked up earlier this year...

Here is a better look from Bruce's listing...

And just when I thought I was done, I found this minutes ago:

Wow so awesome to have wrapped up my best on title for this film.  I had noted the still as a runner up to the Argentinian back in March/April.  This was before I even knew what the quad looked like and now I have them all.  Check out the carousel and note that there is a damn box over her dress in every poster...  http://www.abideposters.com/bestontitle/Grace_Kelly/Green_Fire/index.htm

Ahhhh. now I can relax.

Charlie

« Reply #183 on: December 20, 2012, 07:59:17 PM »
I guess for me personally if I was ever going to spend the kind of $$$ Thierry did on that poster I would sure as hell have to be certain I am going to display it!

I am not all for displaying everything - that's just illogical - but for me the joy is not usually in the possession or ownership of something.  But I am not a completist either...

Forking out thousands of $ does not correlate with being rolled up in a tube with only an image in my mind or satisfaction in knowledge of possession.

If I had that poster I would be afraid to display it...  :P  But since it is linenbacked I would feel a bit better.  Some of my one sheets and B1s I am just afraid to stick in a frame; that I might ding the edges...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #184 on: December 20, 2012, 08:21:53 PM »

If you go by price, Chris (which is irrelevant to me), my French GWtW was more expensive than the B&B.  It is also twice the size.  How would you display it?

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #185 on: December 20, 2012, 08:25:55 PM »

Ahhhh. now I can relax.

Good luck with that.

Great Grace Charlie.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #186 on: December 20, 2012, 08:37:24 PM »
Good luck with that.

Right.
Cut off one head of the hydra and two will replace it.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #187 on: December 20, 2012, 08:39:17 PM »
If you go by price, Chris (which is irrelevant to me), my French GWtW was more expensive than the B&B.  It is also twice the size.  How would you display it?

T

Easy.  Like this:

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #188 on: December 20, 2012, 08:42:09 PM »
Don't even start with this one.  A friend of mine bought one earlier this year and I'm still mad at him.

My Personal Collection

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #189 on: December 20, 2012, 10:07:28 PM »

T

The GWtW or the B&B?  I would NEVER have purchased the GWtW - sure it's a classic but the movie & all of it's paper does nothing for me.  The B&B - I have not seen the actual movie - but the poster is damn fine (as everyone seems to agree). 

If I was spending that kind of $ I'd have made preparations to frame it.  It would just be part of the package/planning. 

But these are just my opinions - you can use it as a shower curtain if you want (at least you'd see it that way ;) )
Chris

Matt

« Reply #190 on: December 21, 2012, 01:12:39 AM »
I think most collectors will own more posters than they can seriously believe will be displayed at some point.

Very true on all levels of collecting!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #191 on: December 21, 2012, 04:40:14 AM »
I am going to pull a Thierry and post one that I just got. Its been a unicorn to me and even more desirable ever since that damn quad auction where I only missed by $1500  :P on it and the TCAT in the middle of the night...  I also found out I had missed one on emovie? Sleeping I guess... So, I wasn't letting this one get away.  And as a PPP lieutenant, I have to arrest myself for overspending. A gift from my wife as she let me charge it to the good ol' MC (Since I am totally busted for the month and she remembers the 'waking her up in the middle of the night quad auction too').  :)

Before that, I had only seen it in a book.

Best on Title IMO and done w/ Green Fire... British Quad

This was on my watch list, I was going to bid last minuet but decided against it due to funds needed for other stuff.

I'm glad it went to a good home, and the right home, well done Charlie. It's a jollyfine piece.. thumbup 
It's more than a Hobby...

Charlie

« Reply #192 on: December 21, 2012, 09:43:15 AM »

This was on my watch list, I was going to bid last minuet but decided against it due to funds needed for other stuff.

I'm glad it went to a good home, and the right home, well done Charlie. It's a jollyfine piece.. thumbup 

Thank you, Sir...

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #193 on: December 21, 2012, 11:20:25 AM »
Geez it's sure hard to keep up with this thread. Kudos to everyone. I'm getting more and more intrigued how Thierry gets his pieces for relative low prices. I suspect there's a secret cellar under his new bathroom with some poor dealer chained to his seat, a vice on each wrist. Now and then Thierry shouts "Thierry hates "French Grande"" at them and shatters his resistance.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #194 on: December 21, 2012, 12:03:05 PM »
I will tell you a secret.  Some collectors would rather sell to another collector than to a dealer who would make money from them.

And remember that relative low prices is also relative.
My Personal Collection

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #195 on: December 21, 2012, 12:40:20 PM »
so it's a collector in your cellar then... Must say I'm chuffed the term Thierry hates "French Grande" is stiull in the thread

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #196 on: December 21, 2012, 01:36:25 PM »
Geez it's sure hard to keep up with this thread. Kudos to everyone. I'm getting more and more intrigued how Thierry gets his pieces for relative low prices. I suspect there's a secret cellar under his new bathroom with some poor dealer chained to his seat, a vice on each wrist. Now and then Thierry shouts "Thierry hates "Thierry hates "French Grande""" at them and shatters his resistance.

;D
Chris

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #197 on: December 21, 2012, 02:04:33 PM »
so it's a collector in your cellar then... Must say I'm chuffed the term Thierry hates "Thierry hates "French Grande"" is stiull in the thread

Secret # 2: I don't buy from Dave and I don't buy from Posteritati, which saves me tons of $$$.  And I don't buy from Eggplant and I don't buy from Loce, which prevents me from getting reprints.

My Personal Collection

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #198 on: December 22, 2012, 02:55:05 PM »
You know, for one who's only been in the game a comparatively short time, Thierry is a wise old owl...
It's more than a Hobby...

Charlie

« Reply #199 on: December 22, 2012, 09:18:56 PM »
Not even a Dave auction?  One question I've always had is:  If their prices are so unreasonable how do they stay in business?  I kind of like the model if you can sit on stuff for a long time...