Author Topic: Water stain removal from posters  (Read 7395 times)

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
Water stain removal from posters
« on: July 18, 2015, 06:32:37 PM »
I've got this cool Thai poster of THE BEYOND in good shape except for bad water stains.  Is there a previous thread about treatment of these?  Can they be completely removed and at what cost?    Anybody do this and possibly have a before/after pic with price it took to do it? I sent a picture to Poster Mountain today, but am curious to hear from the group.  Thanks.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Water stain removal from posters
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 06:36:03 PM »

-Jeff

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 06:58:33 PM »
Excellent, thanks Jeff!

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 09:03:09 AM »
Some 007 posters of mine got water damaged.....will the autographs (they're in sharpie so they bleed thru paper permanently) still stick to the fibres after being cleaned/re-backed ?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 09:04:21 AM by Tang Lung in Rome »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 09:17:44 AM »
IIRC they can cover the sig with something (maybe gelatin?) to protect it during cleaning.  Then as they are mounting it they use a different application to remove the gelatin without damaging the sig.  I would check with your restorer first, but it is fairly common I think.

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 06:49:16 PM »
Some 007 posters of mine got water damaged.....will the autographs (they're in sharpie so they bleed thru paper permanently) still stick to the fibres after being cleaned/re-backed ?

I wish you could get sharpie off that easy.  If it is sharpie it is not coming off unless you use a solvent.

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 07:22:36 PM »
In this case I *want* the sigs to stick after re-linen (not everyone's cup of tea I know.....)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 07:24:10 PM by Tang Lung in Rome »

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 09:37:28 PM »
In this case I *want* the sigs to stick after re-linen (not everyone's cup of tea I know.....)

No worries then... The only thing you have to be cautious about is if the paper stretches while positioning it on the linen, white cracks can form...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 09:28:24 PM »
IIRC they can cover the sig with something (maybe gelatin?) to protect it during cleaning.  Then as they are mounting it they use a different application to remove the gelatin without damaging the sig.  I would check with your restorer first, but it is fairly common I think.

Liquid frisket (or masking fluid) is also used to protect not only signatures but areas on poster borders that may contain the lithographer's info. The frisket is brushed on, allowed to thoroughly dry, and then the border can be safely airbrushed. Once that paint is dry, the frisket can be peeled away, and the information that was covered, is saved.

Here are a couple products on the market:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/grafix-incredible-white-mask-liquid-frisket/

https://www.michaels.com/miskit-liquid-frisket/10011590.html

-Jeff

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 11:48:10 AM »
Liquid frisket (or masking fluid) is also used to protect not only signatures but areas on poster borders that may contain the lithographer's info. The frisket is brushed on, allowed to thoroughly dry, and then the border can be safely airbrushed. Once that paint is dry, the frisket can be peeled away, and the information that was covered, is saved.

Here are a couple products on the market:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/grafix-incredible-white-mask-liquid-frisket/

https://www.michaels.com/miskit-liquid-frisket/10011590.html

And make sure this stuff dries really well before you try and peal it off.  If not, everything under it comes with it - I speak from experience.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 12:24:56 PM »
And make sure this stuff dries really well before you try and peal it off.  If not, everything under it comes with it - I speak from experience.

And also, if you do not allow the frisket to thoroughly dry BEFORE you do additional (airbrush) work around the covered area, that paint can seep under the frisket and cover over what one hoped to protect in the first place.

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2015, 02:42:40 PM »
just add more water. Then the stain won't be discernible......

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2015, 02:48:25 PM »
And also, if you do not allow the frisket to thoroughly dry BEFORE you do additional (airbrush) work around the covered area, that paint can seep under the frisket and cover over what one hoped to protect in the first place.

Unless you airbrushed immediately after applying with really thin paint (and the latex and medium mixed) I wouldn't think this would be right.  It may be the case with thicker water color papers and and watercolor work.  It you are airbrushing like most of the restorers with acrylic, there should not be any seeping...  It also would dry by the time you got your gun going.  So unless you have frisket in one hand and the gun in the other...  But yeah, let it dry...

My error was I was trying to apply it and too much came off the syringe. A brush doesn't work that well for small stuff.  The stuff sticks to a brush and then to the frisket already on the artwork - a mess.  I ordered special syringes for lettering (but guess what the syringe will sometimes scratch what ever is underneath).  I made the mistake of trying to wipe it off when it was still a bit wet. It was both wet and tacky - wet enough to soften the paper and sticky enough to hold some of the surface...  A bad combination.  

Like I have said before, and I can't quite figure why this is hard to believe, Sharpie will never come off of a poster in normal linenbacking.  In fact it took me years to finally discover how to get it off of a poster and that is often at a 50/50 success rate.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 04:32:54 PM »
Unless you airbrushed immediately after applying with really thin paint (and the latex and medium mixed) I wouldn't think this would be right.  It may be the case with thicker water color papers and and watercolor work.  It you are airbrushing like most of the restorers with acrylic, there should not be any seeping...  It also would dry by the time you got your gun going.  So unless you have frisket in one hand and the gun in the other...  But yeah, let it dry...

My error was I was trying to apply it and too much came off the syringe. A brush doesn't work that well for small stuff.  The stuff sticks to a brush and then to the frisket already on the artwork - a mess.  I ordered special syringes for lettering (but guess what the syringe will sometimes scratch what ever is underneath).  I made the mistake of trying to wipe it off when it was still a bit wet. It was both wet and tacky - wet enough to soften the paper and sticky enough to hold some of the surface...  A bad combination.  

Like I have said before, and I can't quite figure why this is hard to believe, Sharpie will never come off of a poster in normal linenbacking.  In fact it took me years to finally discover how to get it off of a poster and that is often at a 50/50 success rate.

Frisket that is applied to areas of a poster must be totally dry, for sure, before other work is done over it. If not, other paint, added or sprayed on later, can potentially seep under it, interfering with the desired, masking result.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 09:33:53 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 08:17:35 PM »
Frisket that is applied to areas of a poster must be totally dry, for sure, before other work is done over it. If not, other paint, added or sprayed on later, can potentially seep under it, interfering with the desired, masking result.

Probably didn't actually cover the whole area.  I really don't see this happening if applied correctly.  But I've seen some strange things, so who knows.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 09:34:21 PM by erik1925 »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2015, 11:04:53 PM »
Frisket is used by artists who paint in water color media all the time, in order to mask off previously painted areas, when creating a work. So it is a good product, overall, but care must be taken when using it, for it to work as it should.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 09:34:47 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2015, 12:17:58 AM »

Thanks for sharing this Charlie. Good to read  this sort of information from someone that actually has carried out this work.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 09:36:31 PM »
I've got this cool Thai poster of THE BEYOND in good shape except for bad water stains.  Is there a previous thread about treatment of these?  Can they be completely removed and at what cost?    Anybody do this and possibly have a before/after pic with price it took to do it? I sent a picture to Poster Mountain today, but am curious to hear from the group.  Thanks.

Mike, did you ever hear back from PM about how would they handle those water stains?

-Jeff

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2015, 10:19:17 AM »

No help with the water stains, but The Beyond is beyond fucked up! One of the best endings ever! :o

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2015, 10:14:08 PM »
Agreed, great film, and the ending is superb.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Mirosae

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2015, 10:42:59 AM »
Agreed, great film, and the  ending is superb.

Everyone dies?

Wait... she survives and  has a baby killer?

Uhm... all die ? includind her?  But she comesback to life as vegetarian and eats all the tomatoes?

Uhmmm...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 10:43:22 AM by Mirosae »

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2015, 11:59:04 AM »
Everyone dies?

Wait... she survives and  has a baby killer?

Uhm... all die ? includind her?  But she comesback to life as vegetarian and eats all the tomatoes?

Uhmmm...
Rosa, I want some of whatever your smoking today.  ;D
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Mirosae

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2015, 04:50:11 PM »
Rosa, I want some of whatever your smoking today.  ;D

Haha nah.. don't smoke...i  have been harvesting the grapes and have spent few hours tasting grape juice.. cider and uhm... wine too :P

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2015, 04:32:44 PM »
Mike, did you ever hear back from PM about how would they handle those water stains?

I'm actually going to take this to Mario.  He said he could get it into pretty good shape.  He just restored my STAR TREK II Thai poster and did a fantastic job on it!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2015, 05:14:17 PM »
I'm actually going to take this to Mario.  He said he could get it into pretty good shape.  He just restored my STAR TREK II Thai poster and did a fantastic job on it!

Good call, Mike.

I'm sure he will do your poster right.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff