Author Topic: What did you just watch?  (Read 928799 times)

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
Re: What did you just watch?
« Reply #3425 on: April 19, 2016, 10:32:53 AM »
BUG is a trip, but I'm enthused with pretty much anything with Michael Shannon.

guest4754

« Reply #3426 on: April 22, 2016, 08:35:47 PM »
"Das weiße Band" or "The White Ribbon" by Michael Haneke. One of my all time favorite movies, it's a modern masterpiece imo.

Mirosae

« Reply #3427 on: April 23, 2016, 03:27:58 AM »
"Das weiße Band" or "The White Ribbon" by Michael Haneke. One of my all time favorite movies, it's a modern masterpiece imo.

Agreed.  And the cinematography is superb. It reminded me of Dreyer.

guest4754

« Reply #3428 on: April 23, 2016, 11:15:31 AM »
Glad you like it Rosa, the cinematography is indeed amazing. You're certainly right about the cinematography being similar to Dreyer's style, quite similar to "Ordet" in particular. The story/writing and the acting as well is just amazing. It's impressive to me that for quite a few of the cast members, this was their screen debut.

Mirosae

« Reply #3429 on: April 24, 2016, 01:17:31 PM »
Glad you like it Rosa, the cinematography is indeed amazing. You're certainly right about the cinematography being similar to Dreyer's style, quite similar to "Ordet" in particular. The story/writing and the acting as well is just amazing. It's impressive to me that for quite a few of the cast members, this was their screen debut.

I didn't know that it was their screen debut. All of them are so convincing. It takes a while to shake off a film like this.  And re: "Ordet " you might be right...I had in mind "Vampyr " but I  see now how "Ordet" too really fits the bill.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #3430 on: April 25, 2016, 09:52:06 AM »
Lady in the van.... English.  Ok, quite a lot of sweet humour, passed the time

Sherpa... Oz/NZ, Documentary, Nice Everest photography and interesting to know about Sherpas and the challenges of Everest. Passes the time just

Ma Ma, Spanish, Penelope Cruz. Good for people that like tear jerker or Penelope Cruz (eg me). Women either side of me were crying multiple times and I'm sure is wasn't out of sadness for me going to the movie by myself. Interesting to see how CGI has really made the fake indistinguishable from real. The film started with Penelope Cruz's bare breasts being manipulated so I was more awake in this movie than the above ones

Summer Tale, Spanish. I had no idea what was going on, and throughout and at the end I thought it sucked bad. Some people at the end asked strangers what happened. I also spoke to some on the way out who thought it weird.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 09:53:43 AM by 50s »

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #3431 on: April 25, 2016, 11:14:24 AM »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3432 on: April 25, 2016, 12:13:08 PM »
I'd heard about this for years and finally decided to give it a go the other night.

Frankenhooker (1990)

So bad, in many ways, that it was actually camp and funny. It made NYC look like nothing but street after street of babes of the night soliciting freely and without care or worry. Some of the FX were super cheesy (all the body parts would bend like rubber and when lead actor, James Lorinz would self drill his brain, he never bled!! LOL. But the fun thing too, was that there was no use of CGI. All mechanical and created FX and the use of some green screen now and then.

And seeing Louise Lasser (from TV's Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman fame) in the role of Lorinz's mom (in basically only one scene), was  thumbup, too.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 12:47:35 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #3433 on: May 04, 2016, 07:48:03 AM »
Just came out from seeing the 1984 musical Purple Rain. I saw it in my teens liking it but the downer for me back then was the female lead Apollonia as I thought she was not too good looking, but now, wow! Was great to see it again 30 years later. The audience laughed quite a lot, at the show, rather that with it, mainly at the now politically incorrect bits. Great music and song performances. An underlying story of domestic violence I don't like seeing but that's me. Prince doesn't speak that much, but is prominent throughout. This screening suffered a second of pixelation, luckily no other. The screenings ticket sales helped a local homeless charity. A guest speaker told some stories about his time with Springsteen and said's displeasure that a Prince song apparently prevenedt Dancing In The Dark getting top spot in the charts. Fun 80s outfits, hairdos, makeup. thumbsup.gif

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #3434 on: May 04, 2016, 02:12:20 PM »
Thanks for the rec for Sherpa, Steve.  Another great, recent climbing film is Meru (2015).

And well said about Purple Rain.  I saw it for the first time at the Tampa Theater a few days ago.  What a classic.  Almost 1,000 people there, and they were a great audience.  It was almost like being at a concert.  cool1

I was lucky to see a few cool, under the radar type flicks at a couple local film festivals recently.  Here are a few postcards I picked up.

Interior (2014).  Pretty darn scary flick, and very well done, with awesome sound.  I always either read just a little blurb about something before seeing it, or nothing at all.  With this one, I saw it on the schedule, and accidentally Googled "The Interior" which is a film about a guy venturing into the wilderness in British Columbia.  This one is much different than that.

Candiland (2015).  There are some cool parts to it.  The main character in the film is Gary Busey's son, in a remarkable performance.  Overall, it's a pretty good flick.  It was really cool to see Mr. Busey et al. in attendance there.  They chatted with everyone for a little while after the screening, and it was cool to hear some of Mr. Busey's classic Buseyisms.

The Adventures of Miss Fit (2016).  It's a neat story with a brief look at that world, and cool cinematography.  To note, I did not know much about Denise Masino aka Miss Fit's ventures, other than bodybuilding, until I googled her name after seeing the screening.  She seems to have quite a following, and there is some nsfw material featuring her.  :o
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 05:00:36 PM by Neo »

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3435 on: May 04, 2016, 08:18:18 PM »
I went to screening of Purple Rain too today. I've lost count how many times I've already seen it, but it was most joyous experience I've had at a screening... probably ever. girly2.gif

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #3436 on: May 04, 2016, 09:27:10 PM »
I went to screening of Purple Rain too today. I've lost count how many times I've already seen it, but it was most joyous experience I've had at a screening... probably ever. girly2.gif

thumbsup.gif

Yeah, people at mine were cheering when the purple one appeared and applauded at the closing shot of prince, it was an unusually warm happy feeling expressed by the crowd throughout the screening

Mirosae

« Reply #3437 on: May 06, 2016, 03:35:54 AM »

thumbsup.gif

Yeah, people at mine were cheering when the purple one appeared and applauded at the closing shot of prince, it was an unusually warm happy feeling expressed by the crowd throughout the screening

Good for you, he was really talented and so full of life. I really find it hard to believe that the world has lost so many talented singers so soon.. Amy, Prince, Michael Jackson, Whitney....

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3438 on: May 06, 2016, 12:04:14 PM »
Elvis was young too...
It's more than a Hobby...

Mirosae

« Reply #3439 on: May 06, 2016, 02:12:13 PM »
Elvis was young too...

I thought he was still alive  :P

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3440 on: May 06, 2016, 06:17:32 PM »
 ;D
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #3441 on: May 08, 2016, 02:00:25 AM »
THE WITCH or VVITCH

I "liked" it.

I enjoy slow films, it looked nice, some small shocks. Nothing super special. And I probably will never see it again, but I had a nice time out.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Mirosae

« Reply #3442 on: May 13, 2016, 02:38:50 PM »
After Breaking Bad we had to watch Narcos . Really good and full on funny one liners.
The Medellin Cartel really had money pouring in...

NARCOS TV SERIES

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3443 on: May 21, 2016, 04:38:09 PM »
The Gift (2000), with Cate Blanchett and Giovanni Ribisi and Hilary Swank.

Cate Blanchett is fascinating to watch and a tremendous actress, to boot.  bed1 

The film was shot entirely in GA, and I think the score by Christopher Young worked very well, to capture the mood and setting of the movie.

I enjoyed it.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 04:40:44 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline JCM

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3444 on: May 25, 2016, 04:49:21 PM »
The Gift (2000), with Cate Blanchett and Giovanni Ribisi and Hilary Swank.

Cate Blanchett is fascinating to watch and a tremendous actress, to boot.  bed1 

The film was shot entirely in GA, and I think the score by Christopher Young worked very well, to capture the mood and setting of the movie.

Nailed it.

One of my personal faves; totally underrated movie. Blanchett's best work. And that's saying a lot considering how great she is.

Yet, still as of May 2016... not on Blu-ray! Sam Raimi doesn't seem to hold this film in high regard. The DVD transfer is average at best.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3445 on: June 01, 2016, 01:51:36 AM »
Tonight-

Big Eyes (2014), directed by Tim Burton.

Its a fascinating biographical film starring Amy Adams and Christoph Waltz. The film is about the life of American artist Margaret Keane who was famous for drawing portraits and paintings with big eyes, and follows the story of Margaret and her husband, Walter Keane, who took credit for Margaret's successful and popular paintings in the 1950s and '60s.

The lawsuit (and trial) between Margaret and Walter, after Margaret reveals she is the real artist behind the big eyes paintings, reveals that she was the true artist.

Good acting, another beautiful and, at times, quirky score by Danny Elfman, and the fluid telling of a story that I wasnt aware of.

-Jeff

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #3446 on: June 07, 2016, 06:54:56 PM »
The first theatrical preview of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. The special effects were incredibly impressive.

Mark.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3447 on: June 18, 2016, 04:47:52 PM »
The Giver (2014), with Jeff Bridges & Meryl Streep.

Streep is always amazing to watch, even in a smaller role like this. Interesting story, that i wasnt familiar with. Tho Jeff Bridges talked like he had marbles in his mouth a lot of the time..LOL

Overall, I did like it.

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #3448 on: June 30, 2016, 08:26:39 PM »
The Green Room (2015)

I thought it was well done, pretty gripping and an hour and a half went by real fast.  Features the late Anton Yelchin who died in a freak accident two weeks ago after being pinned by his Jeep against a fence in his driveway. 

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3449 on: June 30, 2016, 08:37:49 PM »
My summer so far...

Captain America: Civil War  thumbsup.gif
Love & Friendship   ???
Money Monster  thumbsup.gif
Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising  gun2
X-Men: Apocalypse  thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif
Alice Through the Looking Glass  ???
Warcraft  gun2
Finding Dory  thumbsup.gif
The Shallows   notworthy.gif
Independence Day: Resurgence  gun2 gun2 gun2

T
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 08:38:21 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)