Author Topic: June 2015  (Read 46587 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: June 2015
« Reply #150 on: June 21, 2015, 01:45:05 PM »
Lynn, how far (or close) is that display shelf from the back wall? The figures and pics on it, all look fantastic, i might add.  thumbsup.gif

« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 02:11:47 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline lynaron

• Collector
« Reply #151 on: June 21, 2015, 03:12:51 PM »
Jeff, basically there are two display cases back to back separated by a bookcase turned 90 degrees (a horse shoe shape with the bookcase on the left, a second bookcase when built will be on the other side making it a box shape. I'll make a top to go over the two bookcases creating yet another place to pile stuff higher and deeper. Once done this whole mess will be centered in the room, creating an island walk around.  Also on the build list is two display cases to replace the cheapy ones now in use. They will be made to allow a half sheet and one sheet as covers in the future if I want to go that route.  The back display case is maybe two feet from the wall of posters. Because the back one is not seen I've used it as storage for framing material, office supplies, general house ledgers and assorted supplies with necessary junk and clutter. One of my goals is to actually have a clean and usable office area but it seems to be an uphill battle, if you know what I mean and I think you do  ;).  Clear as mud, if I do say so myself. 
I'll raise a glass to the illusion but drink to the reality.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #152 on: June 21, 2015, 03:21:39 PM »
also got this! MASSIVE thanks to my main man tob for finding this for me ;)

Congrats.  Good movie.  cool1

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #153 on: June 21, 2015, 03:27:36 PM »
Jeff, basically there are two display cases back to back separated by a bookcase turned 90 degrees (a horse shoe shape with the bookcase on the left, a second bookcase when built will be on the other side making it a box shape. I'll make a top to go over the two bookcases creating yet another place to pile stuff higher and deeper. Once done this whole mess will be centered in the room, creating an island walk around.  Also on the build list is two display cases to replace the cheapy ones now in use. They will be made to allow a half sheet and one sheet as covers in the future if I want to go that route.  The back display case is maybe two feet from the wall of posters. Because the back one is not seen I've used it as storage for framing material, office supplies, general house ledgers and assorted supplies with necessary junk and clutter. One of my goals is to actually have a clean and usable office area but it seems to be an uphill battle, if you know what I mean and I think you do  ;).  Clear as mud, if I do say so myself. 

Very cool! thumbup
May I ask where you got your frames from? Looks like 2" matte as well?
Witty signature goes here.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #154 on: June 21, 2015, 04:33:14 PM »

Thanks, Lynn. Looks like a good set up so far, even if in eventual flux. Im sure it will look smashing when done. And yes.. dont we all know about clearing clutter. No doubt about that. Again, the walls look fantastic, too!  thumbup

-Jeff

Offline lynaron

• Collector
« Reply #155 on: June 21, 2015, 06:08:04 PM »
I do all my own framing/matt cutting and have used a mail order company for the last thirty years or so for frames.  Way back in the day, they were a small, service oriented business and since the advent of the internet have become one of the best companies I've ever dealt with.  You can check out their website..

americanframe.com. 

Even when I was a worker bee framing stuff at Michaels Farts and Crap, I use them instead of my employee "discount", which was always more expensive than americanframe.  Only drawback to using americanframe is the plexiglass/mat board for one sheets are too large to ship to me here in Germany, luckily I found a local source for the those items.  I pretty much use two inch mattes on one sheets but it really depends on how the poster was printed.  Over the years I've settled on standard sizes for all my paper with one sheets being 30.5 x 43, half sheets 24 x 30, inserts/triptych 18 x 40, single lobby cards 13 x16.  This way if I want to I can easily swap out matted posters and not worry about the frame fitting or not. But there is always stuff that refuse to be fitted into the standard shoe size, so they get the "custom treatment" and a dedicated frame of their own. 

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #156 on: June 21, 2015, 10:33:25 PM »
Wow, thanks Lynn for all of that great info! I will definitely check out that site. I tried Michaels once when they sent me a 60% + 15% off framing coupon. Took my 36x12 print for an estimate and they wanted $750+ for an aluminum frame with matte and plexi - and that was after the 75% off!!! Nuts to that. I did pick up a 24x36 and 18x24 frame from there and cut my own matte and backing; however, those are both glass. Anyways, again thanks and great looking room! thumbup
Witty signature goes here.

Offline lynaron

• Collector
« Reply #157 on: June 22, 2015, 03:45:24 AM »
Depending on where you live there is probably a biz that deals with plexiglass.  When I was in Seattle, it was Clear Cut Plastics.  They would custom cut sizes for me at a very reasonable price. Michaels carries it but, like their Masterpiece glass it is a bit expensive.  I have a small 32'' mat cutter (Logan 301 or some such model number) and cut large mats.  Just takes a bit of practice and the desire to collect a pile of mistakes  ;). If a butterfingers like me can do it, anyone can.  I can frame up a one sheet for 150 bucks or so and with the ever growing Pile-o-Paper™ that is a big consideration.

And I can't sing the praises for americanframe enough.  Only drawback right now is the shipping charges to Europe, most times it's free for orders over 125 $ for US destinations. 

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #158 on: June 22, 2015, 10:46:30 AM »

And I can't sing the praises for americanframe enough.  Only drawback right now is the shipping charges to Europe, most times it's free for orders over 125 $ for US destinations. 

Absolutely but it is a shame their prices have steadily been creeping upwards.  I suppose that is true with any supplier/manufacturer though.  And because I am close the US border I have been able to take advantage of having the frame shipped to a warehouse in the US and then I drive across to pick them up.  Mucho cost savings even factoring in duty/taxes/fuel etc!
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #159 on: June 22, 2015, 12:10:35 PM »
Absolutely but it is a shame their prices have steadily been creeping upwards.  I suppose that is true with any supplier/manufacturer though.  And because I am close the US border I have been able to take advantage of having the frame shipped to a warehouse in the US and then I drive across to pick them up.  Mucho cost savings even factoring in duty/taxes/fuel etc!

Is the unibrow charged an added fee, or double checked as it, too, crosses the border?   hmmm.gif

;D

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #160 on: June 22, 2015, 01:14:05 PM »
Is the unibrow charged an added fee, or double checked as it, too, crosses the border?   hmmm.gif

;D

One brow = one fee  ;D
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #161 on: June 22, 2015, 01:16:26 PM »

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #162 on: June 22, 2015, 02:57:10 PM »
Two new/recent ones...

It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #163 on: June 22, 2015, 04:16:48 PM »
Knock, Knock -- from the reviews and poster text it sounds like a cross between Fatal Attraction and Audition!  Yikes! 

Mirosae

« Reply #164 on: June 22, 2015, 04:17:18 PM »
"IT WILL PUT FIFTY SHADES OF GRAY TO SHAME" ... Didnt think it will take much to do that. :P

Ps.. jokes aside..good seeing your quad-llection growing... congrats Paul!!!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #165 on: June 23, 2015, 06:21:41 PM »
Scanners (1981); Japanese B2

« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 07:14:39 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #166 on: June 23, 2015, 08:07:12 PM »
The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry (Universal, 1945); stone litho Argentinean OS

Film noir directed by Robert Siodmak, brother of screenwriter, Curt (The Wolf Man) Siodmak.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 08:11:56 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #167 on: June 23, 2015, 08:09:28 PM »
Scanners (1981); Japanese B2

Love that one! 

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #168 on: June 23, 2015, 08:16:05 PM »
Cool Scanners, Jeff.  Classic movie.  cool1

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #169 on: June 23, 2015, 09:42:05 PM »

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #170 on: June 23, 2015, 10:38:15 PM »
The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry (Universal, 1945); stone litho Argentinean OS

Film noir directed by Robert Siodmak, brother of screenwriter, Curt (The Wolf Man) Siodmak.

A stone litho oldie, looks nice, well done Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #171 on: June 23, 2015, 10:39:24 PM »
Thanks all.

Mucho appreciated!   :D

-Jeff

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #172 on: June 24, 2015, 12:18:24 AM »
Another which is technically a Unicorn for me is off the list.

Most people are familiar with the famous "Yamakatsu" or "StarFall" poster that is so highly sought after and almost impossible to find. The vast majority though do not know that Yamakatsu is actually a trading card company and it is actually one of two posters used for the Yamakatsu Return of the Jedi trading card campaign in 1983. This second poster though not quite as hard to find as the StarFall version is still one that has taken me years to track down a copy in better than mediocre condition. It almost seems like every copy I come across has some form or major defects. Needless to say I am happy to have acquired this copy to finish off my OCD compulsion to finish sets.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 12:20:27 AM by Undead »
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #173 on: June 24, 2015, 12:28:27 AM »
So this (and the "starfall" poster) would be called commercial posters, in a sense, Mike?

And congrats. It looks to be in amazing condition.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #174 on: June 24, 2015, 12:32:10 AM »
i must admit i was also under whelmed with the poster at first. but it has kind of grown on me. but with movie you really love the posters in my experience hardly ever live up to the movie?
i was also REALLY gutted it got damaged :(

also got this! MASSIVE thanks to my main man tob for finding this for me ;)

Congrats on this, TW! When i looked at it, it immediately made me think of this in some ways -- the teaser from The Invisible Man:

« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 12:43:54 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff