Author Topic: Cinemasterpieces - Over priced?  (Read 36662 times)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Re: Cinemasterpieces - Over priced?
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2015, 08:27:18 AM »
I'm aware of others with that similar story, Brandon.

At the end of the day, it is about research, wants, tastes and time and if one wants to do the work/research to locate something for a lesser or better price -- OR --  to cut the corners and save time.

Cutting corners often means one will pay the price for the work already done.  ;)

and one more...
A dealer that carefully protects his reputation by selling only the best available examples and accurately representing everything.

How many of us can say we have never bought something that turned out to be less than our expectations?  That little mark in the blurry photo turns out to be marker on the lead actresses face (happened to me), or restored linenback item had chunks where paper restoration was done with speckling compound and a putty knife (also happened to me)
-Jay-

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2015, 10:18:30 AM »
Getting reamed once or twice is what turns you from a person who buys posters into a movie poster collector, so in that regard some dealers provide a valuable service.

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2015, 10:37:43 AM »
Forgive me for noticing, but am I the only "non-curator" on this thread?

High five to me!  I have built up a reputation!  ...........oh wait a minute.

Yep, even the black sheep get to be curators! I was also wondering; Shouldn't I get "master curator" or something for being the only one to get it twice???    :P

Hi Crazy Vick, my name is Charlie - you've obviously passed through the APF gauntlet.  May be time to get to know you...  notworthy.gif

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2015, 11:05:47 AM »
Yep, even the black sheep get to be curators!

We are free to make complete asses of ourselves, Chris and Jason would be probably the best examples.

Lol I was high fiving myself for my reputation as seen by Vick.  :)  which I whole-heartily accept as fact lol.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2015, 11:32:21 AM »
Yep, even the black sheep get to be curators! I was also wondering; Shouldn't I get "master curator" or something for being the only one to get it twice???    :P

That's actually not an entirely bad idea.  I wonder if there is a way to add a few more categories...  1 to 100, 100 to 500, 500 to 1,000, 1,000 to 10,000... and then a special one for Chris and Ted.

Jeff?  Can it be done?

And what should we call each category?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2015, 11:39:33 AM »
Getting reamed once or twice is what turns you from a person who buys posters into a movie poster collector, so in that regard some dealers provide a valuable service.

--Peter

Dave should add this to his boilerplating!
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2015, 11:41:55 AM »
That's actually not an entirely bad idea.  I wonder if there is a way to add a few more categories...  1 to 100, 100 to 500, 500 to 1,000, 1,000 to 10,000... and then a special one for Chris and Ted.

Jeff?  Can it be done?

T

Of course things change but we (well Holiday really I believe) purposefully agreed not to do this in the beginning.  Better ask his people first
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 11:43:49 AM by CSM »
Chris

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2015, 11:59:46 AM »
Of course things change but we (well Holiday really I believe) purposefully agreed not to do this in the beginning.  Better ask his people first

I don't remember this.  Why not?
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2015, 12:19:29 PM »
I don't remember this.  Why not?

IIRC, it was to quickly become a full member of the community.  He didn't want some folks to be better than others by rank.
-Jay-

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Chris

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2015, 12:42:02 PM »
Yeah, I actually wouldn't mind bringing more levels back in.  It didn't make any sense when we started the forum, but now that a lot of members have posted more than 1,000, 5,000 and 10,000 times, I think it adds to it.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2015, 12:45:45 PM »
We are free to make complete asses of ourselves, Chris and Jason would be probably the best examples.
Lol I was high fiving myself for my reputation as seen by Vick.  :)  which I whole-heartily accept as fact lol.

Its a compliment actually - I chose you and Chris as the two guys most likely to laugh it off as an obvious joke.  I tend to compartmentalize people, for example, Rosa is the APF Matriarch.  It doesnt mean she is old, on the contrary, but when I picture Rosa I see Madonna as she would be after 10 years in a Viet Cong prison camp - sweet and nice on the outside, but hard as f-ck on the inside.  As for Charlie, aside from being very helpful with my poster questions, i'm not sure where you fit in yet, you'll have to keep posting.  Ari Richards, well he's the narrator of the entire story.  He does the prologue/epilogue shit and bits in-between, chain-smoking like a muthafucka the whole time.  Whoppi2007 was the APF gollum, ahem, ahem.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2015, 12:49:20 PM »
Ari Richards, well he's the narrator of the entire story.  He does the prologue/epilogue shit and bits in-between, chain-smoking like a muthafucka the whole time.  

If you think that's the case you should see what he has been reading lately!  :o
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2015, 01:21:56 PM »
Its a compliment actually - I chose you and Chris as the two guys most likely to laugh it off as an obvious joke.  I tend to compartmentalize people, for example, Rosa is the APF Matriarch.  It doesnt mean she is old, on the contrary, but when I picture Rosa I see Madonna as she would be after 10 years in a Viet Cong prison camp - sweet and nice on the outside, but hard as f-ck on the inside.  As for Charlie, aside from being very helpful with my poster questions, i'm not sure where you fit in yet, you'll have to keep posting.  Ari Richards, well he's the narrator of the entire story.  He does the prologue/epilogue shit and bits in-between, chain-smoking like a muthafucka the whole time.  Whoppi2007 was the APF gollum, ahem, ahem.

Sounds like a character, in some war film... poster collectors that were made POW's --and kept in Stalag 15A located on Abbey Rd.

This story idea needs some flushing out.   pcorn

qip

-Jeff

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2015, 01:27:49 PM »
Its a compliment actually - I chose you and Chris as the two guys most likely to laugh it off as an obvious joke.

Yup taken as a compliment definitely. As for Charlie :) he has contributed boatloads and a shit ton of posts. But he got himself banned once. (So those posts arent in his most recent posts link) That was hilarious and one of Holidays final and finest moments of the now to be known as "Fart of Unicorn" charlie you got handed a brand new version of being "Holidazed"  ;). I am sure you find the humor in it now??
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 01:29:45 PM by jedgerley »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2015, 01:32:12 PM »
That's actually not an entirely bad idea.  I wonder if there is a way to add a few more categories...  1 to 100, 100 to 500, 500 to 1,000, 1,000 to 10,000... and then a special one for Chris and Ted.

Jeff?  Can it be done?

T

I can check it out; i'm sure it's doable.

-Jeff

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2015, 01:33:11 PM »
As for Charlie, aside from being very helpful with my poster questions, i'm not sure where you fit in yet, you'll have to keep posting.  

Doh.gif

I am on it boss! 

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2015, 01:34:56 PM »

Very doable Jeff...  It's in the user settings area.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2015, 01:40:14 PM »

Yes, check it out, Jeff.  And if it's doable, let's start a thread to see what names members would like to use.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2015, 01:52:09 PM »
Yes, check it out, Jeff.  And if it's doable, let's start a thread to see what names members would like to use.

T

T.. It is doable.

I just sent you a PM, too.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 01:52:36 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2015, 08:23:03 PM »
I'm aware of others with that similar story, Brandon.

At the end of the day, it is about research, wants, tastes and time and if one wants to do the work/research to locate something for a lesser or better price -- OR --  to cut the corners and save time.

Cutting corners often means one will pay the price for the work already done.  ;)

A few years ago, I would've agreed, and that's partly why I paid 20 to 30 times more for 4 posters than they would have cost from almost anywhere else.

Nowadays, the way I look at it is: this stuff is not rocket science.  If I was planning on building and flying a spacecraft to Mars, I would understand paying someone else to figure it all out.

Fortunately, there are numerous, good sources of info. that can easily be found via Google, for people to make informed decisions, and Cinemasterpieces' website is one of many that are rightfully commended for providing good sources of knowledge.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 08:29:12 PM by Neo »

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2015, 10:11:19 PM »
If you think that's the case you should see what he has been reading lately!  :o

Just a regular day on offaleater's land...  ;D
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2015, 10:14:50 PM »
for example, Rosa is the APF Matriarch.  It doesnt mean she is old, on the contrary, but when I picture Rosa I see Madonna as she would be after 10 years in a Viet Cong prison camp - sweet and nice on the outside, but hard as f-ck on the inside.  

So, Rosa is the Matriarch?

:-*

Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2015, 10:20:40 PM »

Giddy Up!
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2015, 10:26:28 PM »
Chris