Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203669 times)

Offline enki

• Collector
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #2950 on: July 24, 2012, 11:01:35 PM »
He was a very nice man who was unrelated to the composer. He spent much time tracking down great condition examples and then getting them signed.

He had started auctioning his collection through us, and then he passed away. I had talked to him several times on the phone and he told me about getting his posters.

Are some of his posters in your upcoming Star Wars auction (that you postponed due to the HA one)?

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2951 on: July 25, 2012, 09:17:55 AM »
So I called HA and confirmed that they will accept credit card, but only for auctions where the INVOICE total is <$2500. Anything more than that, and it's cash/check/wire/moneyorder only. And in this case, both days of auctions would be put on one invoice.

On the bright side, I keep getting all these balance transfer checks in the mail at least twice a week (not exaggerating) from Citibank with 0% for 2 years. While they've always been shredded and thrown away, now might be a time to use one of them  8).

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #2953 on: July 25, 2012, 11:37:16 AM »
Really?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-DARK-KNIGHT-RISES-RARE-Orig-2S-IMAX-Movie-Poster-CHRISTIAN-BALE-BATMAN-/170883244207?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c96f60af

:o

I change my mind. Compared to that the Star Wars Cake is very under priced.

0 feedback bidding war. Fake bidders. Is that a real poster even?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 11:40:14 AM by Zorba »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2954 on: July 25, 2012, 11:41:47 AM »
What is wrong with some people.....

I'm finding the same on the Bay, there seems to be a few bidders with small feedbacks, who are bidding Stupid prices... As though they were in a rush to get a nice collection at any cost....

There's a name for those people.......Pilocks.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #2955 on: July 25, 2012, 11:44:33 AM »

There's a name for those people.......Pilocks.

That fits nicely.  8)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2956 on: July 25, 2012, 11:46:33 AM »
What pleases me most is that I got mine a couple days ago for $15.

Ah, if only I was a seller, I'd be rich.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2957 on: July 25, 2012, 11:47:35 AM »
Would you really want to be Rich.... ;)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #2958 on: July 25, 2012, 11:47:54 AM »
What pleases me most is that I got mine a couple days ago for $15.

Ah, if only I was a seller, I'd be rich.

T

So it is a real poster.

I thought you were already rich.  :P

Would you really want to be Rich.... ;)

;D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 11:48:29 AM by Zorba »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2959 on: July 25, 2012, 11:50:25 AM »
If I was a Seller I'd be Bruce,    He's a T1000 selling Machine.. ;)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2960 on: July 25, 2012, 11:51:25 AM »
So it is a real poster.

I thought you were already rich.  :P

;D

Yes it is.  The Imax version.

No I'm not.
My Personal Collection

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #2961 on: July 25, 2012, 11:52:52 AM »
Yes it is.  The Imax version.

No I'm not.

I think everyone with more than me is rich  :D

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2962 on: July 25, 2012, 11:57:11 AM »
I'm surrounded by people who live in $3 mil + houses, so everything is relative.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2963 on: July 25, 2012, 12:06:38 PM »
Ahh, that's good to know, my idea your a Millionaire Playboy still holds up... ;)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2964 on: July 25, 2012, 12:18:40 PM »
Well, I'm married, so I'm not a playboy.  But then again, I'm French.
My Personal Collection

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2965 on: July 25, 2012, 12:20:08 PM »
I think of it more as your job.... :D

Bruce

« Reply #2966 on: July 25, 2012, 01:11:52 PM »
Are some of his posters in your upcoming Star Wars auction (that you postponed due to the HA one)?

Nope. It is a very depressing story on why his posters are not in my auction. Suffice it to say that if you have a desire to have your collection auctioned in a certain way after you pass on, LEAVE IT IN WRITING!

But if those wacky bidders don't reneg and pay those prices, then it will work out for his heirs, who are also very nice people and that is what really counts. Of course it is virtually a certainty that some fair number of bidders think that "From the collection of the late John L. Williams, noted Star Wars collector" means that the poster was owned by the composer, which might make them worth more in their eyes.

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2967 on: July 25, 2012, 01:38:36 PM »
Nope. It is a very depressing story on why his posters are not in my auction. Suffice it to say that if you have a desire to have your collection auctioned in a certain way after you pass on, LEAVE IT IN WRITING!

But if those wacky bidders don't reneg and pay those prices, then it will work out for his heirs, who are also very nice people and that is what really counts. Of course it is virtually a certainty that some fair number of bidders think that "From the collection of the late John L. Williams, noted Star Wars collector" means that the poster was owned by the composer, which might make them worth more in their eyes.

It's a shame when your heirs don't respect your wishes, written or otherwise.

And I agree about the slightly deceiving presentation on HA. Whether it has confused anyone, which is certainly a possibility, I'm fairly sure that HA phrased it like that so that it might. Especially since John Williams (composer) is famous in part for Star Wars specifically.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2968 on: July 25, 2012, 02:06:00 PM »
I do hope none of you New guys are bidding on this re-pro.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320948163138?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_587wt_1186

His Thunderball re-pro is going for even more, you have been warned... nono
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 02:10:14 PM by paul waines »

Bruce

« Reply #2969 on: July 25, 2012, 02:12:37 PM »
It's a shame when your heirs don't respect your wishes, written or otherwise.

And I agree about the slightly deceiving presentation on HA. Whether it has confused anyone, which is certainly a possibility, I'm fairly sure that HA phrased it like that so that it might. Especially since John Williams (composer) is famous in part for Star Wars specifically.

When Thierry is old and sick (many decades from now), he should change his name to "Steven T. Spielberg", and then after he passes his Spielberg collection will auction for a fortune!

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #2970 on: July 25, 2012, 02:25:39 PM »
I'm surrounded by people who live in $3 mil + houses, so everything is relative.

T
Pff,bloody paupers how does one cope. lol

Stew

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #2971 on: July 25, 2012, 03:04:22 PM »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2972 on: July 25, 2012, 03:53:28 PM »
I do hope none of you New guys are bidding on this re-pro.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320948163138?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_587wt_1186

His Thunderball re-pro is going for even more, you have been warned... nono

I'm pleased that the seller does note that he does not guaranty that it's original.  That's enough to put anyone on notice.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #2973 on: July 25, 2012, 04:36:22 PM »
I agree about the slightly deceiving presentation on HA. Whether it has confused anyone, which is certainly a possibility, I'm fairly sure that HA phrased it like that so that it might. Especially since John Williams (composer) is famous in part for Star Wars specifically.

I fail to understand how including the real name of the former owner - in other words, telling the truth, the truth, and nothing but the truth - can possibly be viewed as being dishonest.

the exact quote is "From the collection of late John L. Williams. Noted Star Wars collector"

John Williams the composer is still alive, and he is not known as a Star wars collector. If someone looks at the Heritage statement and sees something wrong, I suggest you need to consider how you look at the written word. Also, on page 9 of the catalog, Heritage has a small write-up concerning John L.

this is just another case of mistaken perception

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2974 on: July 25, 2012, 04:46:52 PM »
I fail to understand how including the real name of the former owner - in other words, telling the truth, the truth, and nothing but the truth - can possibly be viewed as being dishonest.

the exact quote is "From the collection of late John L. Williams. Noted Star Wars collector"

John Williams the composer is still alive, and he is not known as a Star wars collector. If someone looks at the Heritage statement and sees something wrong, I suggest you need to consider how you look at the written word. Also, on page 9 of the catalog, Heritage has a small write-up concerning John L.

this is just another case of mistaken perception

No one said that it wasn't the truth. What Bruce said was that many bidders might be confused between the two. Which, based on some of these prices so far, is certainly plausible. I responded back agreeing with his assumption, and further mentioned that I wouldn't be surprised if someone at HA made sure they mentioned the prior owners name out of hopes that it would encourage that way of thinking.

I've never seen HA advertise who the prior owner was - do they do that often/ever? Also, how notable was this John L. Williams? Bruce knew him, but does anyone else? If he isn't "famous", even in the poster collecting world, what difference does it make that he used to own the poster. His posters weren't even used for the SW Poster Book - something that COULD legitimately add value to the poster. The whole purpose of putting that line in every one of those auctions, whether the intention was completely honorable or not, was to increase the price. Otherwise, why would they have mentioned it. So I ask this - assuming no one at HA made the connection between the similar names, what benefit does "John L. Williams" have to the quality of the poster? He doesn't even show up in a Google search.