Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203644 times)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #2925 on: July 15, 2012, 11:37:11 PM »
I gavelsniped a bid of $666, so that should secure me a copy finally.

AND it will endear yourself to a certain Antichrist (coming to a town near you on Dec 21)
Chris

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #2926 on: July 16, 2012, 12:57:29 AM »
I hope it sets a new record at $560!

$559 to go...in with a big chance
David

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #2927 on: July 16, 2012, 02:15:29 AM »
I know nearly nothing about the Lucky Strikes Pulp Fiction one sheets but can someone explain why all three of those auction examples poster by Mel have differing dimensions!?

because I think Bruce's 27x41 is incorrect, Heritage's 27x40 is rounding off and the fractional dimensions Heritage listing is correct. I'd have to measure my collection copy to be sure what the exact size is though.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 02:16:53 AM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #2928 on: July 16, 2012, 09:10:26 AM »
But it's actually much smarter to buy higher-priced original movie posters than endless $20 posters (plus $8 to ship). The cheap posters will be a total loss whereas you can recover most (if not all) of the money you pay for higher-priced posters, plus you can "show off" expensive posters to non-collectors.

The original movie poster market is not going to collapse - unlike the market for Mondo commercial posters, which inevitably will tank - and prices will remain at least steady for the next 5-10 years.

I agree on the not invest part, but consider the following.

Most $20 posters are worth $5 in 5 years, but every couple of years there is one that skyrockets and starts selling for that $1500.  So, if you buy 100 modern posters for $20/ea and are careful in your selections, one may be worth $1500 in 5 years, while the rest are worth $5.  That means you spent $2k and realized....  $1500 + 99*5 or $1995.  Lost $5 on the deal, but you have a big pile of crap posters to show for it :)
-Jay-

Offline CJ138

• Collector
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2930 on: July 20, 2012, 08:57:47 PM »
I just had to post this....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TALES-FROM-THE-CRYPT-Complete-EC-Library-4-vol-HD-set-by-Russ-Cochran-1981-/190703677852?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2c66d3319c

And to entice all bidders.. you gotta love the last line of her description:

"XO PS – ALL BIDDERS still receive a FREE link to ALL my previous sexy eBay auction pics! YUM!"  8)

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #2932 on: July 20, 2012, 11:26:05 PM »
I still have all my original sets. too bad they're boxed up.. I can't even read them!

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2933 on: July 24, 2012, 01:59:11 PM »
Anybody going to bid in the Heritage Sig Auction tomorrow and Thurs? I may bid on one of the higher-profile posters, depending on my sanity level tomorrow :)

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #2934 on: July 24, 2012, 02:30:34 PM »
There are a couple of things I am DYING to get but no $$$$$$  :-[

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #2935 on: July 24, 2012, 06:39:32 PM »
There are a couple of things I am DYING to get but no $$$$$$  :-[

Yep.

Watch list is full but the pockets are empty.

Bruce

« Reply #2936 on: July 24, 2012, 06:51:05 PM »
We may have the answer for you financially challenged collectors. Our Fall Mini Major auction will include items for even the lightest of wallets.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #2937 on: July 24, 2012, 07:06:15 PM »
I only post stuff about my auctions in the for sale or dealer's forum areas, so I should never be promoting my auctions to people who don't want to see those posts.

Need to add this thread to that list

Bruce

« Reply #2938 on: July 24, 2012, 07:36:37 PM »
I KNEW someone would post that! But in fairness, this IS my thread (I started it).

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2939 on: July 24, 2012, 08:18:09 PM »
The Star Wars posters are blowing past their high estimates, probably because they're in such superb condition. They're from the "late" John L. Williams.  Sadly, his heirs wasted little time cashing them in....

« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 08:18:23 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2940 on: July 24, 2012, 09:17:17 PM »
The Star Wars posters are blowing past their high estimates, probably because they're in such superb condition. They're from the "late" John L. Williams.  Sadly, his heirs wasted little time cashing them in....

Yup, crazy. My dreams of scooping up a bunch of these has gone up in smoke.

The most ridiculous one is the Style A 1SH. It's going for twice market value, and it hasn't even gone to live bidding yet.

ozcinemagic

« Reply #2941 on: July 24, 2012, 09:22:35 PM »
Yup, crazy. My dreams of scooping up a bunch of these has gone up in smoke.

The most ridiculous one is the Style A 1SH. It's going for twice market value, and it hasn't even gone to live bidding yet.

Market value just moved!!

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2942 on: July 24, 2012, 09:25:29 PM »
Market value just moved!!

Hah. Price anomalies due to idiot bidders doesn't necessarily change market value ;).

On the bright side, maybe this will be an incentive for others to dust off their examples and sell them too, which will most likely go for much less :D.

ozcinemagic

« Reply #2943 on: July 24, 2012, 09:27:08 PM »
Hah. Price anomalies due to idiot bidders doesn't necessarily change market value ;).

On the bright side, maybe this will be an incentive for others to dust off their examples and sell them too, which will most likely go for much less :D.

We live in hope!  8)

ozcinemagic

« Reply #2944 on: July 24, 2012, 09:34:37 PM »
If any posters were "safe investments", it would have to be SW. I can't see them going down. There's just too much of a wide audience / following.

Enki, get your credit card ready!

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2945 on: July 24, 2012, 09:40:20 PM »
If any posters were "safe investments", it would have to be SW. I can't see them going down. There's just too much of a wide audience / following.

Enki, get your credit card ready!

I need to remember to contact HA tomorrow morning to verify their CC policy. According to their website, they don't accept them, but many people here said they do. I want to confirm before bidding :).

There were numerous ones I was watching, and last night they were sitting right around the low end of the "average" prior selling prices, so I was hoping to get 2-3 for a moderate price. But tonight they just jumped to crazy levels. I wanted the Birthday, but assuming I could actually get it for the next bid amount, that would be $2629 (inc fees). That's $400+ more then the top prior price of a similar example and condition, with the average being $1500-2200. Not gonna happen. The Chaykin is another nice one, and one I need, but it too is over average prices (though just slightly). It's signed, which MIGHT make it more valuable, but that's not a big deal for me.

There are a few other ones I might pull the trigger on that are reasonable, but who knows what will happen between now and tomorrow. Also, I was hoping to pick up a more rare poster that I can't find multiple times a year.

That Concert poster is calling me..... The Banner would also look awesome in my office.....

Better call my bank.

ozcinemagic

« Reply #2946 on: July 24, 2012, 09:48:03 PM »
I need to remember to contact HA tomorrow morning to verify their CC policy. According to their website, they don't accept them, but many people here said they do. I want to confirm before bidding :).

That Concert poster is calling me..... The Banner would also look awesome in my office.....

Better call my bank.

hehe ...
HA tends to get the big money in the Sig auctions, so a competitive place to buy. I have paid with CC, but it was years ago.
Got all my Aus SW tucked away nice and safe!
I was 9 when the orig was released here in Aust. I remember kids going back 5 & 6 times to see it. It was big then, and kept growing!  :D
Good stuff to collect.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #2947 on: July 24, 2012, 09:53:46 PM »
Whats with the SW cake? I was thinking love of the fans and rarity combined so I looked but if it is so rare how did Heritage sell five last year? Does someone have a stack? Lucas?  :D

Prices are rising on the popular and SW looks to be in big demand.

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2948 on: July 24, 2012, 10:51:32 PM »
On a related note, and pardon my possible ignorance, but who exactly was John L. Williams? I know who John Williams is, but that's obviously not the same person. HA seems to make a big deal about this being from the guy's collection. I tried doing some Google research, but wasn't able to turn anything up.

Did anyone here know him? Was he really a "legendary" SW poster collector?

Bruce

« Reply #2949 on: July 24, 2012, 11:00:50 PM »
He was a very nice man who was unrelated to the composer. He spent much time tracking down great condition examples and then getting them signed.

He had started auctioning his collection through us, and then he passed away. I had talked to him several times on the phone and he told me about getting his posters.