Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203812 times)

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #1525 on: October 18, 2011, 06:27:48 AM »
I've been away for a few days and came back to read this, all about the Goldfinger quad; well, actually, more about the principle of it in relation to Mel's behaviour.
On a personal note, I'm not getting into a petty argument with that guy, but I do wish to say the following:

I am in agreement with Matt and Chris.
Whilst there are members here who don't know what Mel is like, there are a fair few who have experienced his devilish attitude & general unwillingness to accept his own misgivings.
We all must accept these unfortunate traits that make up his person, including his highly hypocritical side - If there was a poster HE wanted then HE would NEVER bring it to OUR attention until the auction had FINISHED.

I don't think anyone wants so-called censorship; it's more about reciprocal respect, which is something Mel visibly (through the written word) lacks in large quantities.

All this makes me laugh though, because he is his own worst enemy; he just never seems to learn; he just never seems to get it.
He has done, and does, good things for this hobby pertaining to this forum - I think everyone can see that - but he continually causes problems for himself, often crying wolf when he is pulled up about something.

If there is one thing Mel should learn, it should be to hold his own tongue more.
Other than that, it's all a real shame, to be honest.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #1526 on: October 18, 2011, 06:37:29 AM »
That clown from Poltergeist freaked me out for years.

This is why I've always hated the circus.  Show me all the horror movies in the world, show me Cannibal Holocaust or Texas Chainsaw, but don't show me a clown!!!

T

T, How could you not love this adorable fella. He is sooo happy to see you. It would look great looking at you in your man cave!

(3 sht)

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #1527 on: October 18, 2011, 07:05:32 AM »
I LOVE CLOWNS....I want it!
Ves

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1530 on: October 18, 2011, 11:19:19 AM »
T, How could you not love this adorable fella. He is sooo happy to see you. It would look great looking at you in your man cave!

This is one of the ugliest posters I have ever seen.  Sorry Steve.  How you could let this monster inside your house is a mystery to me.  Send it to Ves immediately.  It can never be far enough from me.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest8

« Reply #1531 on: October 18, 2011, 11:52:06 AM »

I don't think anyone wants so-called censorship; it's more about reciprocal respect, which is something Mel visibly (through the written word) lacks in large quantities.

For not wanting to get into a petty argument with Mel that was one huge paragragh dedicated to slamming him .. Maybe we are being a little passive aggressive?? The one sentence above is the only thing that was aimed directly at the issue at hand and even in that you had to take a snipe directly at Mel.

We all must accept these unfortunate traits that make up his person, including his highly hypocritical side - If there was a poster HE wanted then HE would NEVER bring it to OUR attention until the auction had FINISHED.

As for this part .. I think this is true for everyone .. Its not the Mel is a hypocrite .. NO ONE would post an auction where they felt they had a good chance at sniping a deal especially its its a desirable poster .. Mel has set his standards of posting links to auctions that have a high price range and once they pass a certain price point its fairly obvious that the right people already know about the auction. So I dont see much wrong with this thread .. Not that Im interested in most of the posters listed in here at all .. I just like seeing the pretty pictures.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1532 on: October 18, 2011, 11:53:18 AM »
Hey, T...they're coming to get you....
I hope you're working the homefront door this Halloween, I'm sending some friends to your house...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1533 on: October 18, 2011, 12:11:02 PM »
I own a gun. 

I am ready for war (yes, even a Frenchman can be ready for war!)
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1534 on: October 18, 2011, 12:12:53 PM »
I own a gun. 

Note to self: abandon plan to terrorize T this Halloween...  wynk

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1535 on: October 18, 2011, 12:13:17 PM »
Not that Im interested in most of the posters listed in here at all .. I just like seeing the pretty pictures.

Dave most brilliantly summed up my train of thought.
My Personal Collection

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #1536 on: October 18, 2011, 12:15:01 PM »
I own a gun. 

Would you not have to slap the clown with a dueling glove first?

"Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1537 on: October 18, 2011, 12:18:05 PM »

In all seriousness, though, if awaken in the middle of the night, I think I could very well blow the head off a man dressed as a clown.

My wife has the same phobia, except hers is of Alex from Clockwork Orange.  Someone showed her the movie when she was 6 and I believe she would react negatively to a man dressed in white with a cane.  Note to all: She's a black belt of Krav Maga.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1538 on: October 18, 2011, 12:18:34 PM »

Spoken like a true Frenchman Ted.... ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

agentprovocateur

« Reply #1540 on: October 18, 2011, 03:50:06 PM »
Nice! Haven't seen that one before... is it still a bit steep price wise tho!?

Charlie

« Reply #1541 on: October 18, 2011, 04:42:11 PM »
Bond Quad just listed on fleaBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THUNDERBALL-Original-James-Bond-Poster-30x40-Rare-British-Quad-1965-Sean-Connery-/150679094012?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23152c82fc

Why the hell would you charge $10 to ship a $20K poster?  Just include the shipping.  How cheap.  Did you see all the A. B. C. for $99, what's that about.  Looks like he just uploaded it from a spreadsheet.  Oh wait its list 250 items for free day; oops got to list some records tonight...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 04:44:39 PM by Charlie »

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1542 on: October 18, 2011, 04:43:51 PM »
yeah it's rare.. and at about 2-3x value. maybe 4-5 times

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1543 on: October 18, 2011, 04:45:42 PM »

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1544 on: October 18, 2011, 05:31:16 PM »
What is with this sellers other listings...I don't understand why he does not accept returns...what if I don't like RR and want a refund..he should at least post a picture of it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RR-/150679119348?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23152ce5f4#ht_500wt_1156

it's a free listing day, so he loads up on listings of nothing & edits them during the week to reflect the item.
kinda stupid.. lots of fleaBayers do it

-------

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1545 on: October 18, 2011, 05:48:54 PM »
That is stupid. Thanks for the explanation.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1546 on: October 18, 2011, 07:14:22 PM »
As for this part .. I think this is true for everyone .. Its not the Mel is a hypocrite .. NO ONE would post an auction where they felt they had a good chance at sniping a deal especially its its a desirable poster .. Mel has set his standards of posting links to auctions that have a high price range and once they pass a certain price point its fairly obvious that the right people already know about the auction. So I dont see much wrong with this thread ...

Churchill: “Madam, would you sleep with me for five million pounds?”

Socialite: “My goodness, Mr. Churchill… Well, I suppose… we would have to discuss terms, of course…”

Churchill: “Would you sleep with me for five pounds?”

Socialite: “Mr. Churchill, what kind of woman do you think I am?!”

Churchill: “Madam, we’ve already established that. Now we are haggling about the price.”

Not that Im interested in most of the posters listed in here at all .. I just like seeing the pretty pictures.
Dave most brilliantly summed up my train of thought.

Which wouldn't change, in any way, if it was done after the finish of the auctions.  The only difference is in the motivation of the poster -  Sales/advertising in the case of Bruce/Rich/etc. or self-aggrandizement in Mel's case versus taliking about an interesting auction with pretty pictures... 

Also, T, a Frenchman with a gun is more a danger to himself than to others... just sayin'...  :D

Bruce

« Reply #1547 on: October 18, 2011, 09:18:58 PM »
I'm surprised Mel didn't "out" this auction an hour before it closed when it stood at $63, because with his psychic ability he surely knew that it was going to end over his threshold of $1,000!

In fact it went to $1,400!  What happened, Mel? Imagine how much higher it might have gone had you outed it!

laugh1 laugh1 jawdrop jawdrop woohoo woohoo

Bruce
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 09:20:12 PM by Bruce »

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #1548 on: October 18, 2011, 09:53:07 PM »
I'm surprised Mel didn't "out" this auction an hour before it closed when it stood at $63, because with his psychic ability he surely knew that it was going to end over his threshold of $1,000!

In fact it went to $1,400!  What happened, Mel? Imagine how much higher it might have gone had you outed it!

laugh1 laugh1 jawdrop jawdrop woohoo woohoo

Bruce

Bruce, I am surprised that you do not take the high road in a thread that is basically another avenue for you to draw attention to your auctions.  Mel has been a good customer and consignor to your company.  Mocking Mel's position is hardly a constructive post.

If you want to brag about your own auctions at least do it in the post auction analysis. 

Brian

"Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #1549 on: October 18, 2011, 09:55:02 PM »

Actually Dale is the psychic APF member.  Look at this post from over a year ago..........

I think we should already rename this thread to BRUCE AND DAVE BACK PATTING AND FREE ADVERTISING.

Like you both, but honestly I have never "seen" two people better at talking about themselves; cant argue with the results though!