Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203855 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #1375 on: October 16, 2011, 12:43:37 AM »
Ves.. sadly, there are no Big Sleep auctions I am currently bidding on, although I think Heritage may have something in the next signature auction. I'm the underbidder on everything I lose, so obviously other people have the same interests as I do. But I'd say if there is a Big Sleep auction that comes around, and I need that poster, and it may sell in a price range I'll enjoy.. then I'll win it.. or be the underbidder. Personally, I find it unlikely a Big Sleep auction being chatted about would make it sell for more than what it would already sell for anyway, so someone posting a link may really be doing me a favor, if they reveal something I did not see.

one thing you said in your post I 100% disagree with: fleaBay is very far from a low profile auction site Ves. I'll even bet they get more page views than Bruce does

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #1376 on: October 16, 2011, 12:49:18 AM »
Ves.. sadly, there are no Big Sleep auctions I am currently bidding on, although I think Heritage may have something in the next signature auction. I'm the underbidder on everything I lose, so obviously other people have the same interests as I do. But I'd say if there is a Big Sleep auction that comes around, and I need that poster, and it may sell in a price range I'll enjoy.. then I'll win it.. or be the underbidder. Personally, I find it unlikely a Big Sleep auction being chatted about would make it sell for more than what it would already sell for anyway, so someone posting a link may really be doing me a favor, if they reveal something I did not see.

one thing you said in your post I 100% disagree with: fleaBay is very far from a low profile auction site Ves. I'll even bet they get more page views than Bruce does

But everyone keeps saying fleabay is dead...and no one should list there anymore ;)  Didn't mean to imply that ebay was a low profile site...but yes that is exactly how it came across.

Next time you find a Big Sleep listed which for one reason or another might get less than it's fair share of attention, go ahead and post a link to it here...just in case someone here reading might have missed it.
Ves

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1377 on: October 16, 2011, 12:57:21 AM »
by the way.. some people here seemto think that the reason the Gangs posters were pulled is directly attributed to being spoken about here. While it might be possible that the consignor saw this post, realized he sent Bruce a goldmine and called for the posters back. However, it isn't likely as a "% of possibilities" issue.

really.. how many people total do youthink stop by here every day?
do you think if 100 visitors came by today, that they are all different visitors than were here yesterday?
what is the possibility that person A happened to stop bye on day B just when person C posted a thread that he looked at about posters person A consigned to person D.
Just like in poker, as you add up these factors, it becomes a real longshot that the consignor saw this thread and if they did, they probably are already a knowledgable consignor and only learned what he didn't meant o consign he accidentally did..

you get the idea don't you?

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Matt

« Reply #1378 on: October 16, 2011, 12:59:22 AM »
This clown knows the true value of this daybill($20-$60), he is a collector and seller, and his primary objective is to make a large amount of money from some poor punter. nono

Now that's farking greedy and deceitful .

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1379 on: October 16, 2011, 01:02:28 AM »
Now if Im not mistaken Rich. When you consign posters to Bruce, when he receives the posters he sends a detailed email out to the consigner letting him know that he received the posters.

A second email goes out once the posters hit the auction. I don't know how long it was before the consigner sent the posters before they were listed but he had a chance the 1st time he received the confirmation email to say his poster were received to back out of the auction. How long did it sit at auction before he sent an email versus when the email was sent to let him know his posters are in that weeks auction. And how long after was his email sent after they were posted here on the forum and talked about.

I think it is a pretty  good chance that the consigner did not know what he consigned until he read it here.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 01:04:29 AM by Cj »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1380 on: October 16, 2011, 01:25:41 AM »
by the way.. some people here seemto think that the reason the Gangs posters were pulled is directly attributed to being spoken about here. While it might be possible that the consignor saw this post, realized he sent Bruce a goldmine and called for the posters back. However, it isn't likely as a "% of possibilities" issue.

really.. how many people total do youthink stop by here every day?
do you think if 100 visitors came by today, that they are all different visitors than were here yesterday?
what is the possibility that person A happened to stop bye on day B just when person C posted a thread that he looked at about posters person A consigned to person D.
Just like in poker, as you add up these factors, it becomes a real longshot that the consignor saw this thread and if they did, they probably are already a knowledgable consignor and only learned what he didn't meant o consign he accidentally did..

you get the idea don't you?

Funny you should bring this subject up. As many of you know, I (like others here) often post items on Ebay.  And I (as many others) know the power of advertising.  Now, I am not a mathematician, but I did a simple little experiment on a few different occasions.  First, I posted 10-20 one sheets on Ebay.  I let them sit for two days.  They were decent titles, nothing spectacular.  Between the bunch, I picked up 8-10 Ebay watchers in the first 48 hours.  Then, I posted here in the APF FOR SALE section.  I kept my Ebay dashboard open and another browser open on APF.  I watched the number of views on the APF post increase very rapidly and the number of watchers climb steadily on Ebay. Within 2 hours, my watchers doubled. By the end of the day my non-scientific poll saw my Ebay watchers nearly triple.  I tried this with other forums with less significant results.

I do not know whether this forum can differentiate the number of unique visitors during the course of any given day, but my gut feeling is that this forum has a shitload of eyeballs all over it every day.

Just my un-scientific two-cents.  wynk

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #1381 on: October 16, 2011, 01:30:24 AM »
Just my un-scientific two-cents.

I`ll call you Dr. Brude anyway...

Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1382 on: October 16, 2011, 01:43:06 AM »
Now if Im not mistaken Rich. When you consign posters to Bruce, when he receives the posters he sends a detailed email out to the consigner letting him know that he received the posters.

what do you mean by "detailed letter"

-------

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1383 on: October 16, 2011, 01:44:30 AM »
a list of posters that was received

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1384 on: October 16, 2011, 01:56:28 AM »
a list of posters that was received

not my experience

-------

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1385 on: October 16, 2011, 02:21:14 AM »
not my experience

I have not consigned much but I just went through my emails. You send a detailed list and pack it in the tube. They send back an email confirming they received said posters on that list. I however sent a poster along that was not on my list and in the confirmation email they advised me that the poster was in the tube but was not on the list.

Cj

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1386 on: October 16, 2011, 02:59:02 AM »
I have not consigned much but I just went through my emails. You send a detailed list and pack it in the tube. They send back an email confirming they received said posters on that list. I however sent a poster along that was not on my list and in the confirmation email they advised me that the poster was in the tube but was not on the list.
Cj

not my experience

-------

guest4185

« Reply #1387 on: October 16, 2011, 03:00:18 AM »
That Thunderball re-release daybill is a bargain now. The seller had $849 on it.
I did point out to him that it would struggle to get 10% of what he is asking but he didn't seem to care.
In New Zealand someone has listed a B+W, crumpled Clockwork Orange NZ daybill for $800 - it would struggle to get 1% of the asking price.

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1388 on: October 16, 2011, 03:08:49 AM »
not my experience

PM me your email address I will forward you the email Rich.

Never mind I will just attach  a screenshot here.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 03:21:58 AM by Cj »

Matt

« Reply #1389 on: October 16, 2011, 03:14:27 AM »
That Thunderball re-release daybill is a bargain now. The seller had $849 on it.
I did point out to him that it would struggle to get 10% of what he is asking but he didn't seem to care.

I've actually brought a poster from his website that was at a good price, but the whole transaction was a slow and painful experience. Never again.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1390 on: October 16, 2011, 03:36:50 AM »
CJ.. I didn't doubt that was your experience. My experience was different, but I sent him hundreds of items. some people send him 1000s of items or 10s of 1000s and I am certain he does not inventory these large consignments

-------

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1391 on: October 16, 2011, 03:51:59 AM »
I dont understand why it would be any different no matter how many items you send. It would make sense that he would need to inventory all consignments, big or small, so he knows what belongs to who and who gets paid what.

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #1392 on: October 16, 2011, 06:14:56 AM »
With reference to the Gangs of New York posters, the consignor presumably saw the amended description or was possibly advised by Bruce beforehand that he was adding an addendum. Of course I don't believe they were sent by him in error.What I don't understand is why he pulled them when he was likely to get a higher price than he was originally expecting because of the revised description. Had I known Holiday or Dale were specifically interested in these Gangs of New York posters I would have pm'd one or both of them and I would not have made this information public.

As a collector, I like the mid-auction analysis thread - thank you Mel for your contributions - as I get to hear about posters I may have missed or I didn't previously know about or I get additional information on a poster I know about already or I get advance warning of high bidding that will make me reconsider my how I might acquire a poster I am interested in. I get (quietly) annoyed if someone highlights a poster auction that might deprive me of getting a bargain but as I said earlier, that is just my bad luck. I don't have any automatic right to a bargain or to deprive a seller of a fair market price for his poster.

Mark

Bruce

« Reply #1393 on: October 16, 2011, 06:47:53 AM »
Our first e-mail to consignors (like the one reproduced) solely lists the TYPES of items, not individual titles (the exception would be something like what CJ reproduced, where he enclosed a list and something was in the package that was NOT on their list, or vice versa).

The morning after each set of auctions start, each consignor to that set of auctions gets an e-mail listing exactly what that person has that is in that set of auctions. That way, if you sent, say, a Carrie one-sheet, then if one starts in our auctions and you DON'T get an e-mail from us the next morning (or you DO get an e-mail, but Carrie one-sheet is not on the list), then the one up is NOT yours.

The day after each set of auctions end, all consignors to that set of auctions get a detailed e-mail with a list of what each item they had sold for. At the end of the month after the month in which the items sold (on October 31st we pay for all September items. etc) each consignor who sent us items that sold in September gets payment for those items sent to them, along with an accounting that lists every item and what it sold for and what our percentage was.

So in the case of the GANGS consignor, because he sent no list, he did not get a list of what he sent until the day after the auctions started. Did he really make a mistake in sending them? We will likely never know. But I do know he is a collector who loves rarities, and likely has no plans to sell them.

But since so many thought the reported 20 examples of each was nonsense, there will surely be lots more of these offered soon, now that this thread HAS greatly publicized them, so that is a side benefit of this thread, to let people know what is truly desired, so they are more likely to offer them for sale or auction, whether on my site, on eBay, or elsewhere.

Bruce
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 06:49:19 AM by Bruce »

Bruce

« Reply #1394 on: October 16, 2011, 07:23:16 AM »
Forgive me for "outing" an auction, but I doubt anyone here is interested in this as a buyer, but many might very much enjoy seeing this item just being it is so incredibly cool (and be sure to look at the added images to see some of the actual article in the mag).

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2337585

Bruce

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1395 on: October 16, 2011, 08:59:25 AM »

But since so many thought the reported 20 examples of each was nonsense, there will surely be lots more of these offered soon, now that this thread HAS greatly publicized them, so that is a side benefit of this thread, to let people know what is truly desired, so they are more likely to offer them for sale or auction, whether on my site, on eBay, or elsewhere.

Bruce

For the second time, where did anyone say this?  Care to answer or do you just want to keep up your persecution complex?

And tell Bob he has enough rarities...   :P

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1396 on: October 16, 2011, 12:04:09 PM »
More than likely, if for example that Gold Finger auction sat at $500.00 all week and it did not jump to what the end result is now in the last few seconds. We would not be reading about it in the Mid Auction analysis page but you probably would have posted it the post auction analysis thread. Chances are you would have held out in hopes of having a good shot at winning the poster....  

Mad Max was well below $1000.00 magic number when you outed it....  

The Black Swan posters had zero bids and you outed it. I had no idea either auctions were going on until I saw them here....

CJ, of course I deliberately waited until it hit $1,000 and had attracted multiple $1,000 bids.  In addition, the seller is selling several high profile Bond posters, which always attract attention on Ebay.  Plus every serious Bond collector knows this is a rare poster.  Any reasonable person would conclude any element of secrecy was gone by that point. Furthermore, as it turns out, a fat wallet first bidder in the first 24 hours had already placed at least a $1600 opening bid (and probably $3500), so all this talk about getting it at a steal was a fantasy from minute one.  If somebody other than me had "outed" that auction at that point, I would have totally OK with it.

The LucasFilm sales were for charity.  Really, if anything should be "outed," shouldn't it be charity auctions? Scrooge!

The Mad Max was the highest priced item for several days. Let's not pretend that most of the people on this forum don't check the Emovie and Heritage listings.

The Black Swans were sold in the major/mini auction. Let's not pretend those were sub rosa auctions.  Anyway, they sold for relative modest amounts, undercutting your point that these posts materially influence prices.

Posting something here AFTER it has surpassed your spending limit is hypocritical to me.  You don't want to fuck yourself over first, but when it gets too expensive, you are more than happy to potentially fuck someone else over.

Et tu Ves?  Maybe this will calm you down:

« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 12:10:26 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1397 on: October 16, 2011, 12:07:50 PM »
But everyone keeps saying fleabay is dead...and no one should list there anymore ;)  Didn't mean to imply that ebay was a low profile site...but yes that is exactly how it came across.

Next time you find a Big Sleep listed which for one reason or another might get less than it's fair share of attention, go ahead and post a link to it here...just in case someone here reading might have missed it.

Yes please do.  Not the I would have any interest of course...
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1398 on: October 16, 2011, 12:11:09 PM »
Funny you should bring this subject up. As many of you know, I (like others here) often post items on Ebay.  And I (as many others) know the power of advertising.  Now, I am not a mathematician, but I did a simple little experiment on a few different occasions.  First, I posted 10-20 one sheets on Ebay.  I let them sit for two days.  They were decent titles, nothing spectacular.  Between the bunch, I picked up 8-10 Ebay watchers in the first 48 hours.  Then, I posted here in the APF FOR SALE section.  I kept my Ebay dashboard open and another browser open on APF.  I watched the number of views on the APF post increase very rapidly and the number of watchers climb steadily on Ebay. Within 2 hours, my watchers doubled. By the end of the day my non-scientific poll saw my Ebay watchers nearly triple.  I tried this with other forums with less significant results.

I do not know whether this forum can differentiate the number of unique visitors during the course of any given day, but my gut feeling is that this forum has a shitload of eyeballs all over it every day.

Just my un-scientific two-cents.  wynk

And more importantly Ted, you took the responsibility and effort to advertise your listings in the proper places.  I.e. you are clearly not ignorant and lazy ;)
Chris

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #1399 on: October 16, 2011, 12:14:17 PM »

Well, Mel does work for the government and lives in D.C., so flip-flopping just comes with the territory.   ;D

Still best post so far:

"Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.