Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203684 times)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #1350 on: October 15, 2011, 11:43:49 PM »
Please close this thread, Ho.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #1351 on: October 15, 2011, 11:52:42 PM »
here are some homonyms for the day's discussion

different strokes for different folks

it's six of one, half a dozen of the other

some days it's the cherries, other days it's the pits

come ce, come sa

cie la vie

what came first? the chicken or the egg?

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1352 on: October 15, 2011, 11:53:28 PM »
Please close this thread, Ho.

Holiday is a Ho

what corner does he stand on?

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1353 on: October 16, 2011, 12:01:40 AM »
You buy a lot of great stuff. I look forward to you letting us know what you are about to buy. I would like some great Japanese posters, especially bargains.

I buy most of my Japanese material from dealers directly, not from auctions.  The only guy I buy from on auctions on eBay is MoviePosterJapan, whom I highly recommend.  I see the same auctions as you, and you can bid on the same auctions as me.  I hope this helps you out in your search.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1354 on: October 16, 2011, 12:05:01 AM »
I buy most of my Japanese material from dealers directly, not from auctions.  The only guy I buy from on auctions on eBay is MoviePosterJapan, whom I highly recommend.  I see the same auctions as you, and you can bid on the same auctions as me.  I hope this helps you out in your search.

I'm going to bid on all the posters Holiday bids on to spite him. But because I don't know which ones he needs, I'm just going to place a bid on every poster MoviePosterJapan, whom Holiday highly recommends, has listed.
That will teach you Holiday

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1355 on: October 16, 2011, 12:06:43 AM »
Rich, what will you do if you end up with a whole bunch of Japanese posters?!
Chris

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #1356 on: October 16, 2011, 12:07:02 AM »
I went back to the start of this thread as I wanted to see how it all began...funny how things change.

Still best post so far:

I've no problem with the thread and don't think it should be deleted, but I do think that unless you out every good deal you come across (including the ones you keep to yourself now because you want it and you still think you have a fair shot at getting it for a bargain) you should be more selective with what you post here.  Posting something here AFTER it has surpassed your spending limit is hypocritical to me.  You don't want to fuck yourself over first, but when it gets too expensive, you are more than happy to potentially fuck someone else over.

Excuse my french... :-*
Ves

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1357 on: October 16, 2011, 12:10:08 AM »
I have heard no reason to close this thread, Ben.  What I have heard is discourse, some of it in favor and some of it opposed. The worst possible thing that could happen is to close the thread when a dispute arises over its contents, and then to start a new thread which is moderated.

And Ted, I meant "steal" as in "get a great deal".  I was not inferring a crime of any sort.

Our job is not to "protect" anyone on this board.  Discussing an auction while it is pending is in no way hurting anyone, unless you define hurting as potentially bringing in new bidders which might cause a higher price at the end.  But, even that could be spun for the greater good of the hobby because the more that are bidding, the more awareness there is, and the higher the prices, the better for all of us as a community.  But, that's not what I'm advocated.  

Ironically, I have been chided for censorship in the past, yet now the majority of you want me to censor this particular issue, because it favors you.  Censorship always favors the majority who want it, and there is not a chance in hell that anything will be censored on this board, other than as we have discussed before regarding hateful conduct.  We are all entitled to our say, and we are all entitled to discuss what we want on this board.  If anyone does not like that philosophy, then they need only close their browser.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #1358 on: October 16, 2011, 12:10:21 AM »
I wouldn`t close the thread. At least it helped to see different positions on the subject. And that is very interesting, the whole debate is.
Outing an auction is not bad or good per se. Outing one you are not going to be bidding in, for lack of interest or funds... that`s where it all gets complicated. I`m with Ted and Chris that the best thing to do in that case is to PM another member who can be interested. It`s not an obligation or absolutely the right thing to do, just good manners IMO -and something I have done a few times. If someone outs it the seller might make more money and the interested member might lose it or pay more for it. The one who outed it does not win or loose, but further alienation from other members is probably happening. Nothing good or bad here. IMO it`s the outer`s call and he/she is probably aware of the consecuences.
Personally, anything more than U$S 200 is out of my reach and I mostly collect shit nobody is interested in (argentinean horror) so I`m the less affected by this thread. Should I be outing auctions because I can`t afford them or I`m not interested? I could, but if someone here might result affected negatively (loosing or paying more) I choose not to do it.  
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1359 on: October 16, 2011, 12:10:56 AM »

sell them to Holiday

-------

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1360 on: October 16, 2011, 12:11:14 AM »

The fucker will sell them back to me!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1361 on: October 16, 2011, 12:11:34 AM »
Funny, we did that at exactly the same time.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #1362 on: October 16, 2011, 12:12:26 AM »
The thread has its purpose...I still think we all should be more mindful of what we choose to post here.

Ves

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #1363 on: October 16, 2011, 12:12:48 AM »
Censorship always favors the majority who want it, and there is not a chance in hell that anything will be censored on this board, other than as we have discussed before regarding hateful conduct.  We are all entitled to our say, and we are all entitled to discuss what we want on this board.  If anyone does not like that philosophy, then they need only close their browser.

thumbup
Matias

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1364 on: October 16, 2011, 12:13:42 AM »
Funny, we did that at exactly the same time.

I beat you too it

qip

-------

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1365 on: October 16, 2011, 12:13:55 AM »
By the way, when those Gangs of New York posters were "outed" is had a moment when I was pissed as hell.  But then I realized pretty quickly that I was a fool to think that there were not enough people out there already watching that would cause the prices to go high, and I was prepared for that.  I don't think the thread would have contributed too much to increased prices, if at all.  And I truly believed that the greater good was being served by the discussion.

And Ted, you're right, the highest calling of this thread would be to out fraudulent auctions.  Forgive my zeal!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #1366 on: October 16, 2011, 12:16:33 AM »
By the way, when those Gangs of New York posters were "outed" is had a moment when I was pissed as hell.  But then I realized pretty quickly that I was a fool to think that there were not enough people out there already watching that would cause the prices to go high, and I was prepared for that.  I don't think the thread would have contributed too much to increased prices, if at all.  And I truly believed that the greater good was being served by the discussion.

And Ted, you're right, the highest calling of this thread would be to out fraudulent auctions.  Forgive my zeal!

The high profile auctions are one thing...a buried listing on ebay is another.
Ves

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Chris

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #1368 on: October 16, 2011, 12:19:05 AM »
Matias

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1369 on: October 16, 2011, 12:20:27 AM »
I went back to the start of this thread as I wanted to see how it all began...funny how things change.

I've no problem with the thread and don't think it should be deleted, but I do think that unless you out every good deal you come across (including the ones you keep to yourself now because you want it and you still think you have a fair shot at getting it for a bargain) you should be more selective with what you post here.  Posting something here AFTER it has surpassed your spending limit is hypocritical to me.  You don't want to fuck yourself over first, but when it gets too expensive, you are more than happy to potentially fuck someone else over.

Excuse my french... :-*

And a womanly perspective/reasoning (I mean that with the utmost respect Ves) states it succinctly in the end.
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1370 on: October 16, 2011, 12:24:14 AM »
a buried listing on ebay is another.

Ves.. what constitutes a "buried auction"?

any listing on fleaBay in the correct or near correct category is hardly "buried" as it right there for everyone to see

now if someone has a DTESS 1sh listed in Automotive>Foreign Cars>Mitsubishi>Parts>Brakes.. well to me that would be buried.. I also wouldn't be likely to find it, because if I looked at every category on fleaBay, which I doubt any one person could do anyway, I'd never have time for anything else.

-------

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1371 on: October 16, 2011, 12:32:28 AM »
I'm sorry but if I was watching an auction for something that I wanted I would not post it in this or any thread for help with authentication.. If not another member then a guest could potentially snatch it away before I had the chance to get any concrete info.

Hey Fallen,

You know your absolutely right. However, I was being narrow minded when I only stated authentication purposes in my initial post. If you look at what the title of this topic is - it's OMG's, LOL's, WTF's, whatever

In my opinion here is an example of each and how this section should be utilized:

OMG - http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-GREATEST-MOVIE-POSTER-COLLECTION-AVAILABLE-SALE-ANYWHERE-WORLD-/390350510136?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae2b41838#ht_1882wt_907

WTF - http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOVIE-POSTER-FRAME-LIGHTBOX-Theater-Sign-Cinema-Advertising-Display-Backlit-New-/400247988232?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d30a3a008#ht_6027wt_1329

LOL - http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRETTY-WOMAN-1SH-ORIG-MOVIE-POSTER-1990-JULIA-ROBERTS-/350007624453?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item517e148305#ht_6728wt_1095  Sorry Dave but this is not a direct attack on you.

When someone post auctions out of their price range but is on track to be fair market value or just a little above, I don't think there is a necessity to discuss it till its over. Let the bidders bid with hope. If you wish to spectate, then spectate in silence.

Mel, with your statistical data you presented to everyone, just going back only 3 weeks. If what you posted is true in regards to only 11 auctions hit past the $1000.00 mark then that means you alone announced 18% of the 11 auctions that were out of your price range and you lost interest in. Whether it made a difference or not, I don't know. Now correct me if I'm wrong neither of the auctions you posted were out of the realm of being on track of fair market value. They were out of your price range or you knew you had no chance to begin with and you counted yourself out of the game once they hit that magic number. More than likely, if for example that Gold Finger auction sat at $500.00 all week and it did not jump to what the end result is now in the last few seconds. We would not be reading about it in the Mid Auction analysis page but you probably would have posted it the post auction analysis thread. Chances are you would have held out in hopes of having a good shot at winning the poster.  

It is also not to mention the two Emovieposter auctions you outed recently as well. Mad Max was well below $1000.00 magic number when you outed it.  The Black Swan posters had zero bids and you outed it. I had no idea either auctions were going on until I saw them here. It peeked my interest and made me go check them out and see whats up. A lot of people here assume that all of members here check out Emovies auctions every week. I for one don't and my attention was drawn to those auctions. Who knows how many lurkers got drawn to them too.

Cj
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 03:59:49 AM by Cj »

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #1372 on: October 16, 2011, 12:35:52 AM »
Ves.. what constitutes a "buried auction"?

any listing on fleaBay in the correct or near correct category is hardly "buried" as it right there for everyone to see

now if someone has a DTESS 1sh listed in Automotive>Foreign Cars>Mitsubishi>Parts>Brakes.. well to me that would be buried.. I also wouldn't be likely to find it, because if I looked at every category on fleaBay, which I doubt any one person could do anyway, I'd never have time for anything else.

Perhaps buried was a poor choice of word...but I think any auction on ebay, or other low profile sites which for one reason or another (listed in wrong section, mis-described, low profile seller...insert any number of things here) falls into the category of perhaps best not to link to it just in case someone else might want it.

You said you need stuff for the Big Sleep right?  Why don't you post links here to the stuff that you are looking at adding to your collection?  Lots of Bogey and Noir fans here who would love the heads up I think.

Holiday's post on the Gangs posters says it all...he was pissed when it was listed, BUT how come HE didn't post links to the auctions here?  There is no doubt those auctions were already getting plenty of attention.  But I am fairly confident that had he found those auctions on ebay, posting links to them here in this thread would have been the last thing on his mind.

Like I said, I have no problem if you choose to out auctions...but out them ALL, not just the ones that you don't want or can no longer afford.
Ves

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1373 on: October 16, 2011, 12:39:19 AM »
By the way, when those Gangs of New York posters were "outed" is had a moment when I was pissed as hell.  But then I realized pretty quickly that I was a fool to think that there were not enough people out there already watching that would cause the prices to go high, and I was prepared for that.  I don't think the thread would have contributed too much to increased prices, if at all.  And I truly believed that the greater good was being served by the discussion.

And Ted, you're right, the highest calling of this thread would be to out fraudulent auctions.  Forgive my zeal!

You are forgiven, kimosabe. You were overtaken by the heat of the moment.

And thank you for admitting that an 'outing' on this thread did, in fact, actually piss you off.                               

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1374 on: October 16, 2011, 12:40:02 AM »
I have to agree with Holiday and say that I would not close this thread and I agree with what Ves said - Be more mindful of what you post.

Cj