Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203601 times)

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #1325 on: October 15, 2011, 06:20:56 PM »

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #1326 on: October 15, 2011, 06:32:04 PM »
she's cute Steve.. anyway.. to get back on subject again..

I don't care if anyone on this list posts a link to an auction that I'm interested in.. I don't care! even if it's at just a dollar bid. It's meaningless to me. I'll compete no matter who or how many I'm bidding against until my personal comfort level. If I win, I'm likely to do just what I've done so far: say "cool". If I lose.. I'll say "oh well.. no big deal".. because that's my perspective on it and if Zorba wants to post ad-nauseum every Big Sleep poster that ever comes up for sale, well... who cares? It isn't going to bother me one wit. It's a pragmatic approach. If I'm going to get irritated at something... well, let me just say you should not sit on my car and you should not talk poorly to a girlfriend, my ex-wife, Anna (my assistant) or obviously myself. But if you want to out a poster, here, on this list, for everyone to see... have fun. I do not find such actions unfavorable and as a card carrying member of the ACLU, I will fight against anyone wishing to stifle any such speech no matter what the issue
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 06:33:37 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1327 on: October 15, 2011, 07:40:45 PM »
There is freedom of speech (and of posting) for sure but there is also respect for other collectors and forum members.  I side with Matt quite strongly.
I strongly agree with Matt and Chris on this...

I agree with Matt, also.
I don't see any purpose in outing an auction unless the person is posting it to alert others that they have ALREADY proven it bogus.
What I DO find interesting are the discussions FOLLOWING an auction's END.

Why is that a necessity?  I can think of a number of times when questionable auctions have been posted for the benefit of all.  Usually, it ends up as another 'Portal found in a basement' but these are the exact moments that lead to increases in our collective knowledge base.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1328 on: October 15, 2011, 07:57:03 PM »
Why is that a necessity?  I can think of a number of times when questionable auctions have been posted for the benefit of all.  Usually, it ends up as another 'Portal found in a basement' but these are the exact moments that lead to increases in our collective knowledge base.

See Harry's BREAKFAST AT TIFFANYS post earlier in this thread.

"All-
As many of you here know... two years ago I scored a Breakfast at Tiffany's 1-sheet on eBay for $305 -- this is a $3K-$5K poster mind you.  It was accurately described (original poster, mounted to linen), but worded in such a way that made it sound like it was likely a bootleg.  Does anyone really think I would have got it for so little if it had been a topic of discussion here?  If nothing else it likely (see those simple, but important qualifiers Mel?) would have inspired others to contact that seller, revealing the poster's authenticity."

Granted, if a collector comes upon an obvious "Portal found in a basement" or other known non-original advertised as an original, no "proof" is necessary.  But in Harry's case, his due diligence paid off and he saved thousands of dollars.  If one of us as a buyer finds a questionable auction, we should do our own homework first.

Offline mahmudf

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1329 on: October 15, 2011, 08:04:29 PM »
Fuck you clown.

I've really missed this place!!!

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1330 on: October 15, 2011, 08:07:44 PM »
I don't think this is a good argument to oppose this thread.  I really don't give a rat's ass if someone's ability to steal a poster is ruined, and I certainly don't feel compelled to protect that person's ability to do so by staying quiet.

See Harry's BREAKFAST AT TIFFANYS post earlier in this thread.

"All-
As many of you here know... two years ago I scored a Breakfast at Tiffany's 1-sheet on eBay for $305 -- this is a $3K-$5K poster mind you.  It was accurately described (original poster, mounted to linen), but worded in such a way that made it sound like it was likely a bootleg.  Does anyone really think I would have got it for so little if it had been a topic of discussion here?  If nothing else it likely (see those simple, but important qualifiers Mel?) would have inspired others to contact that seller, revealing the poster's authenticity."

Granted, if a collector comes upon an obvious "Portal found in a basement" or other known non-original advertised as an original, no "proof" is necessary.  But in Harry's case, his due diligence paid off and he saved thousands of dollars.  If one of us as a buyer finds a questionable auction, we should do our own homework first.

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1331 on: October 15, 2011, 08:09:09 PM »
Yes, that was a particularly inspired debate.

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1332 on: October 15, 2011, 08:18:34 PM »
I really don't see the need to talk about an auction prior to it ending unless there is a question of authenticity. Part of the fun of this hobby is trying to find the great deals. What really is the point? Is it any less interesting to wait 7 days till the auction ends to talk about it. Nothing said while the auction is in progress cant wait to be said when it has ended. There really is no point to draw more attention to something when it is out of ones price range or if it lacks the interest of the person posting about it. It will always be in someones price range and it will always have a place in someones collection. Let the potential buyer have the satisfaction of hoping to get a great deal even if the bids are up a 1/4 of its worth on the first day. Once it is posted and talked about it kinda takes the wind out of the sails of the potential buyer. I think we all have been there at one point or another and when something like that happens, you just kind of say "great now I have no shot of winning it or possibly not getting a good deal on it".

As far as freedom of speech, it has nothing to do with that. No one is asking to never speak of it, just have some respect for other collectors and wait till the auction is over to discuss the OMG's, WTF's or LOL's about it.

Cj

« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 08:26:06 PM by Cj »

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1333 on: October 15, 2011, 08:23:35 PM »

Welcome home Santino.  :)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1334 on: October 15, 2011, 08:31:59 PM »
I don't think this is a good argument to oppose this thread.  I really don't give a rat's ass if someone's ability to steal a poster is ruined, and I certainly don't feel compelled to protect that person's ability to do so by staying quiet.

I'm sure you'd give a "rat's ass" if someone outed a poster you were bidding on and you ended up spending hundreds -- maybe thousands -- of extra dollars because of it.
I don't equate Matt's auction win as "stealing." Other collectors had to have seen that particular auction.  Matt did his homework and he had a victory.

Like I said, the only purpose I see for this thread is outing a bogus auction.
What's the point of outing a legit one?
Just to talk about it?

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1335 on: October 15, 2011, 08:32:04 PM »
As far as freedom of speech, it has nothing to do with that. No one is asking to never speak of it,  

a poster being auctioned in a public place doesn't get the same response as the President asking a reporter to not tell the world for 48 hours about a comet going to crash into the Earth

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1336 on: October 15, 2011, 08:34:50 PM »
I'm sure you'd give a "rat's ass" if someone outed a poster you were bidding on and you ended up spending hundreds -- maybe thousands -- of extra dollars because of it.

I can tell you for a fact that Holiday does not complain about any price he pays for any poster that was or was not outed here or on any other forum and also when he loses a poster, he has as much emotion about it as as he might losing a fiver.

-------

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1337 on: October 15, 2011, 08:48:58 PM »
I don't equate Matt's auction win as "stealing." Other collectors had to have seen that particular auction.  Matt did his homework and he had a victory.

Just to talk about it?

I absolutrly agree that their is no point in posting a legit auction, but there can be plenty of value in discussing truly questionable auctions.  Those, however, are relatively few and far between.  When in doubt, I would tend not to post...

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #1338 on: October 15, 2011, 09:13:39 PM »

Welcome back aboard... enjoy the ride...

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #1339 on: October 15, 2011, 09:19:24 PM »

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1340 on: October 15, 2011, 09:33:46 PM »
Like Rich said, it doesn't bother me at all.  Auctions are competition for the same item, and I always know that there's going to be competition for what's good.  To get pissed off because someone made me pay a fair price is a little absurd.  And, I define a fair price as the final hammer price, because someone was willing to pay it.

If Matt bought a BAT for 350 or whatever, and it's worth 10 times that, that's a steal pure and simple.  I don't begrudge him getting a great buy, for for Christ's sake let's not go so far as to say that we should be silent to ensure that the bargains that are out there always remain bargains. 

One final thing - the mid auction analysis is about sharing information.  There's a higher calling to the thread than just outing bad sellers.  This is a poster forum, and we talk about posters in many many ways.  No one is compelled to post a link to a great auction just for the sake of sharing, but I won't ever begrudge Mel or anyone else posting about an auction that's in progress and which may be a good deal, just because someone may now have to pay more for it.  That's bullshit.

Just to talk about it?

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1341 on: October 15, 2011, 09:34:04 PM »
Hey, all you boys and girls who are terrified that the sky is going to fall if we discuss $1,000+ pending auctions.

Ebay currently shows 11,435 US original movie poster auctions and 1,806 original international movie poster auctions that have been COMPLETED in the last few weeks.

How many of them received bids higher than $1,000?

11 US original and 0 international

11/13241 = .08% of all auctions

So 99.92% of original movie poster auctions on Ebay did not reach $1,000

P.S. Because several of those $1,000+ auctions were high-profile Lucasfilm charity auctions, the percentage of $1,000+ auction normally is probably lower.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 09:50:10 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #1342 on: October 15, 2011, 09:48:06 PM »
One final thing - the mid auction analysis is about sharing information.  There's a higher calling to the thread than just outing bad sellers.  This is a poster forum, and we talk about posters in many many ways.  No one is compelled to post a link to a great auction just for the sake of sharing, but I won't ever begrudge Mel or anyone else posting about an auction that's in progress and which may be a good deal, just because someone may now have to pay more for it.  That's bullshit.

You buy a lot of great stuff. I look forward to you letting us know what you are about to buy. I would like some great Japanese posters, especially bargains.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1343 on: October 15, 2011, 09:59:01 PM »
You buy a lot of great stuff. I look forward to you letting us know what you are about to buy. I would like some great Japanese posters, especially bargains.

I'm buying Big Sleep posters, even the ones where Bogey is wearing lipstick. I'm bidding on all of them, so post away.. Hey, you may post one that I missed.. thanks buddy
 sm1

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1344 on: October 15, 2011, 10:02:16 PM »
I define a fair price as the final hammer price, because someone was willing to pay it.

Holiday.. I don't agree with this.. a fair price is what I WAS WILLING TO PAY
everyone else is overpaying and should just let me win because they're making bad investments

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1345 on: October 15, 2011, 10:34:03 PM »
Like Rich said, it doesn't bother me at all.  Auctions are competition for the same item, and I always know that there's going to be competition for what's good.  To get pissed off because someone made me pay a fair price is a little absurd.  And, I define a fair price as the final hammer price, because someone was willing to pay it.

If Matt bought a BAT for 350 or whatever, and it's worth 10 times that, that's a steal pure and simple.  I don't begrudge him getting a great buy, for for Christ's sake let's not go so far as to say that we should be silent to ensure that the bargains that are out there always remain bargains. 

In my book, "a steal" means a "bargain."  In your previous post, you referred to Matt's win as "steal a poster" (as in theft), and remaining quiet about it equated to complicity in some sort of crime. That is how I read your post and that is what I believe you insinuated.

I just found an Ebay "steal" and emailed a member who will pounce on it. I would've PM'd him as I normally do, but he's not on the board at the moment.  If I out this "steal" here, his chances of owning it would diminish considerably.  Especially considering that right now there are 120-plus guests (as opposed to 25 members).  No offense to our guests, but several were also reading this thread.

So, I emailed him. That is how I help fellow collectors.  Call it my "higher calling."

I don't begrudge Mel or anyone else for outing an auction. It is their prerogative. But by doing so, they obviously risk alienation from other members.

One final thing... what could be a "higher calling" for this thread than exposing a fake?  Just talking about an auction in progress? 
How is that sort of "information" more important than protecting our members?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1346 on: October 15, 2011, 11:15:51 PM »
I think some members are missing one of the crucial points that lead to this argument/discussion - and that is - posting an auction just for the sake of posting an auction based on some arbitrary criteria that negates that member's interest or ability to bid on it.  It's like saying "fuck you all, I can't win this thing (for whatever reason) and so I am going to make a big theatrical production post about it so I can sulk about my inability to have a chance to win it".  It's like being impotent in many ways (I imagine anyways - I certainly have no personal experience  :-*)

Anyways, as I have said - post any auction you want to but think about this: would it not be far more respectful to other members/collectors to only post auctions you intend on actually trying to win yourself?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 11:16:17 PM by CSM »
Chris

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1347 on: October 15, 2011, 11:21:28 PM »
Hey, all you boys and girls who are terrified that the sky is going to fall....

This kind of cavalier disrespect will also lead to further alienation.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1348 on: October 15, 2011, 11:22:42 PM »
Agree with Cj's post, and to his and Archie's point: this thread should be utilized in regards to questionable auctions in order to help in terms of purchasing with regards to authentication and the like.

I am in favor of closing this thread. Let's start a new thread that is maintained with the effort of aiding possible purchases in terms of helpful and assisting discourse.  The current thread is just useless and flippant in tone in how some simply don't care about causing folks to lose posters/spend more money.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

guest8

« Reply #1349 on: October 15, 2011, 11:29:58 PM »
Agree with Cj's post, and to his and Archie's point: this thread should be utilized in regards to questionable auctions in order to help in terms of purchasing with regards to authentication and the like.

I am in favor of closing this thread. Let's start a new thread that is maintained with the effort of aiding possible purchases in terms of helpful and assisting discourse.  The current thread is just useless and flippant in tone in how some simply don't care about causing folks to lose posters/spend more money.

I'm sorry but if I was watching an auction for something that I wanted I would not post it in this or any thread for help with authentication.. If not another member then a guest could potentially snatch it away before I had the chance to get any concrete info.