Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203461 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #1300 on: October 15, 2011, 05:28:04 PM »
Rich, I don't care if you respect my beliefs or not - I am just stating them and that I agree with Matt's argument.  
But I AM respecting your beliefs Rich.  When did I tell you or anyone else to not post something or stop you or anyone else from posting something?  I have 0 censorship capabilities on this forum...

Chris, let me rephrase.
the argument for non-outing posture is 50% of an argument.
arguing for the ability to out is the other 50%
anyone wishing to silence the other 50% is not truly respecting the other 50%
to be honest, I think it's a silly concept and a canard for people really meaning "I want to buy the item fucking cheap and anyone who isn't helping me do so is the enemy. STOP TALKING NOW!"
I would think adults would see an "outing" in some cases a help because they themselves might not have known about the item. so sometimes it's a help, sometimes it's a hurt. they cancel each other out and again, if I lose an item I wanted because it was outed.. I don't really care.. I'm not going to get emotional about it. I don't have to win anything more than I currently have to be happy (or in other words, adding to my collection is like putting just a little more icing on a tasty cake, but I didn't need more icing for the cake to be tasty and satisfying) and I'm not going to cry one way or the other no matter what the outcome. But if someone wants to tell me I can't have more icing.. hey, they can go fuck themselves.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 05:32:50 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1301 on: October 15, 2011, 05:30:55 PM »
Yes.  I cannot understand the motivation behind 'outting' an auction when that someone has no intention of bidding on it - unless it comes back to my prestige post argument.
Rich, (I know you stated you don't care either way but know) if I saw something Chandler-esque come up that was clearly flying under the radar and I had no interest in it and thought you might I would use the simple art of the PM to notify you - out of respect and as a kind gesture from one collector another.  Would this also be censorship because I 'censored' it from everyone else?

no it isn't censorship because by definition, censorship is something someone else wants. So someone saying "you cannot PM someone" would be the censoring.
Concerning the other part of your statement.. it's very possible that if a ROTJ 1sh came up & I had no interest in bidding but I know that "in general" people on this list might be interested, I'm going to post that, although if I knew specific people interested, I might PM them first. well maybe

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1302 on: October 15, 2011, 05:38:18 PM »
Rich is a dealer? No?

END OF STORY!

No one needs to defend themselves to him ever.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1303 on: October 15, 2011, 05:38:47 PM »
Rich is a dealer? No?

END OF STORY!

No one needs to defend themselves to him ever.

grow up

-------

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1304 on: October 15, 2011, 05:42:20 PM »

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1305 on: October 15, 2011, 05:43:03 PM »
by the way.. as an addendum to this whole conversation:
I don't know why, but movie poster collectors are the ONLY people I ever hear arguing that people should not post auctions in progress and (for instance) the CGC messaging boards which boast 10s of thousands of forum members (I think it's 60k alone in comics and more in coins) regularly post in-progress auctions going on.

The reason: because these collectors are in general agreement that posting information is what forums are all about and any information posted that helps even one person is something that helps the hobby in general.

In comics, such a perspective is unique as for teh most part, the hobby is made up of many very greedy people whose own self-interest is way more important than any altruistic pursuit

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1306 on: October 15, 2011, 05:43:26 PM »
I never said a good dealer.

grow up and stop being an ass

-------

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1307 on: October 15, 2011, 05:44:24 PM »
grow up and stop being an ass

eyeroll

Try taking your own advice fat ass.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #1308 on: October 15, 2011, 05:51:02 PM »
c'mon kids, play nice.

You have spent most of the last two days talking about talking about posters.  Think about it.
-Jay-

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1309 on: October 15, 2011, 05:51:16 PM »
you know Zorba.. your posture really just says volumes about you.
facts are that you are angry because I took a position in David L's defense you didn't like, you were acting like a child and I told you so, with a funny picture that had previously been posted in another thread that you had found humor in just fine. But when I used it at you in defense of David, suddenly the same image was a great insult and I became "your enemy".

few things are as childish as that and since then you have continued to show your childishness in continuing posts for your own self satisfaction.. I could care less. If you want to be a child.. go ahead. but if you want to insult me in some way, I'm going to tell you that you're a horse's ass. If you don't want to be called a horse's ass, the solution is stop acting like one and you are.

But I'm sure because you have already shown that you are childish, that you clearly do not understand what I'm saying. Fuck you in any case if that's what. Or act like an adult. It's really your choice.

-------

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1310 on: October 15, 2011, 05:53:33 PM »
you know Zorba.. your posture really just says volumes about you.

Like yours doesnt ?

Movieposterknowitall of the universe.

laugh1

Clown.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #1311 on: October 15, 2011, 05:55:35 PM »
All:

At the end of this auction everybody is going to see that the first bidder on the Irish Goldfinger quad put a huge bid - probably at least $3,500 - on this poster. Furthermore, several other "fat wallet" collectors and dealers - most or all of whom have no idea this forum exists - are going to come out at the end and push the price well past $4,000.  All this talk about getting it for a steal or being "robbed" of the opportunity to get it for $1,500 was just a pipe dream.  James Bond posters always get lots of attention on Ebay and this particular seller is selling a boatload of James Bond posters, so this poster realistically was never going to "slip under the radar."

So whatever theoretical arguments - which have been endlessly rehashed here - against discussing pending auctions have no applicability to this particular poster.

By the way in the last four hours, another bidder has entered the arena and pushed the first bidder's bid up to $1,600.

I don't know why you keep linking bid amounts to justifying outing an auction. I've set my next snipe to $2,700. If outing my auction results in me paying an additional $100 or more I would be mad. $100 is still a lot of money, especially if I purchase hoping to resell it again covering my costs. $100, say, spent on a birthday gift for someone would likely really make their day, the amount is still a lot to me.

I have many posters I spent more than $4000 on. Your arbitrary limit is just that, your limit, not others. By defining a limit, you though are acknowledging that it is inconsiderate to be outing them. Like I said out frankies or metropolis poster type items in high profile auctions, where the spotlight is already on them. And if you are going to out an auction, as it can only push up not down the final price, at the same time highlight an auction you are seriously bidding on, for us to see too.

by the way.. as an addendum to this whole conversation:
I don't know why, but movie poster collectors are the ONLY people I ever hear arguing that people should not post auctions in progress and (for instance) the CGC messaging boards which boast 10s of thousands of forum members (I think it's 60k alone in comics and more in coins) regularly post in-progress auctions going on.

The reason: because these collectors are in general agreement that posting information is what forums are all about and any information posted that helps even one person is something that helps the hobby in general.

In comics, such a perspective is unique as for teh most part, the hobby is made up of many very greedy people whose own self-interest is way more important than any altruistic pursuit

These really helpful people I also assume graciously highlight to the community current auction items they themselves have unearthed and are lusting over and bidding on.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1312 on: October 15, 2011, 05:56:17 PM »
Like yours doesnt ?
Movieposterknowitall of the universe.

laugh1

Clown.

like I said.. fuck you or act like an adult.. it's your choice and it speaks volumes whichever way you want to go.

I can say this for certainty though.. I am and will always be far more important to the hobby than you ever will. If it wasn't for long time dealers like myself. collectors would be nowhere. People with attitudes like yours are a dime-a-dozen

-------

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1313 on: October 15, 2011, 05:57:18 PM »
like I said.. fuck you or act like an adult.. it

Very adult answer.

Like I said you aint nothing but a big fat clown  ;D

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1314 on: October 15, 2011, 05:59:02 PM »
These really helpful people I also assume graciously highlight to the community current auction items they themselves have unearthed and are lusting over and bidding on.

I think you would be surprised Steve. It's impossible to keep anything quiet in comics and so you will indeed see many people post an item and announce they will be bidding.. although such statements usually accompany high ticket items

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1315 on: October 15, 2011, 06:00:18 PM »
Very adult answer.

Like I said you aint nothing but a big fat clown  ;D

I'll say it again Zorba.. last time.. it can either be fuck you zorba, or you can act like an adult.
your next response of course says which.

child or adult.. which are you?

-------

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1316 on: October 15, 2011, 06:00:52 PM »

child or adult.. which are you?

Which are you clown?

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1317 on: October 15, 2011, 06:01:51 PM »
fuck you Zorba

-------

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1318 on: October 15, 2011, 06:02:20 PM »

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1319 on: October 15, 2011, 06:03:27 PM »
LOL

-------

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1321 on: October 15, 2011, 06:06:38 PM »

-------

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1322 on: October 15, 2011, 06:07:23 PM »
NO!  ;D

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #1323 on: October 15, 2011, 06:14:00 PM »
Oh, oh, the pumpkin bum has come out... It's getting ugly...

Time for a distraction...

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1324 on: October 15, 2011, 06:15:21 PM »
Is that Eliza Dushku?