Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203463 times)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #1175 on: October 08, 2011, 07:50:33 PM »
What pasta?

Thank you again, Esquire!  happy1

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #1176 on: October 08, 2011, 07:59:30 PM »
What pasta?

Thank you again, Esquire!  happy1

What, did she leave her tits at home?

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1177 on: October 08, 2011, 08:01:04 PM »
Great, now I'm hungry...

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1178 on: October 08, 2011, 08:15:41 PM »
Assumptions are made constantly by us collectors (I make them too, for lack of real knowledge), and they don't mean shit.  Whether Gangs is Canadian, US, wilding, fake... all blah blah since no one knows for sure.  If you like the posters, buy them for that reason, not because of what they could or could not be, because you don't know.
T

Very well said, Thierry, and a message that can be forgotten sometimes. Important info to be reminded of, especially to newer folks in the hobby.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 08:25:09 PM by wonka »
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1179 on: October 08, 2011, 08:21:45 PM »
Are you certain on that timeline?  That it was '99 and not '04ish...  

This is the first time that I've heard of Suncoast reprinting wilding posters.  I am more than a little surprised in that the Fight Club wilding teasers just weren't around in any kind of quantity before the second wave hit...

Yes, this was in 1999. I remember it vividly, it was my Junior/Senior year at Purdue. Just one of those random memories I remember, but at that time my roommate and I were really into the film, and we were at Suncoast with my girlfriend at that time and my roommate was literally going to buy one of each and put them all on a single wall. He was really wanting one to have the slogan "You are NOT your Fucking Khakis" and was dismayed that that particular slogan didn't make the cut, haha. But food and beer money beat out a bunch of Fight Club soap posters, and at the time, rightfully so.

Another reason I pull from the past in this regard in terms of clarity is because I see my roommate once a year in Indianapolis for the Big Ten tournament. This past March, he brought up how he still loves the film (which brought up a Fincher discussion/debate) but regrets never buying those posters. Being the poster nerd that I am, I told him I would try to track down a set for him. This is the first set I have seen since, and have already sent the auction links to him. Doubt he even bids, his wife has him on a short lea$h.

I digress, apologies for the random and extra info, but I am certain in seeing those images at Suncoast 11 years ago.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 08:22:48 PM by wonka »

I was mistaken,

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1180 on: October 08, 2011, 08:31:47 PM »
Whether Gangs is Canadian, US, wilding, fake... all blah blah since no one knows for sure.  

T

Well, the one thing we do know is that they are Canadian - the Alliance logo tells us that...

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1181 on: October 08, 2011, 08:34:39 PM »
Cameron Diaz is not perfect, but she is very attractive IMHO. 

Like with posters, to each his own.

Kate on the other hand...mmmmmmmmm....Kate she is yummy.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1182 on: October 08, 2011, 09:16:08 PM »
Cameron Diaz looks like thirty miles of bad road.

I was mistaken,

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1183 on: October 08, 2011, 09:50:54 PM »
But only one Kate Beckinsale...

Thank you, Esquire!  happy1

mesmrized mesmrized mesmrized
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1184 on: October 08, 2011, 09:52:06 PM »
Kate is a goddess, Cameron is a troll (the goat eating kind)
Chris

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #1185 on: October 08, 2011, 10:30:41 PM »

A little more Kate never hurt..... ;D

"Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1186 on: October 08, 2011, 10:41:46 PM »
Nice gif, man....

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1187 on: October 08, 2011, 10:44:08 PM »
Can we just make a hot chick gif thread?

Unless you want to start auctioning off some of these, which I am not all that against...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1188 on: October 08, 2011, 10:49:29 PM »

NEVER!
Chris

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1189 on: October 09, 2011, 03:17:19 AM »

This is AWESOME!  A thing of beauty.

Thank you!

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #1190 on: October 10, 2011, 11:54:36 AM »
Well, F... ; the Gangs are now pulled.

Bruce

« Reply #1191 on: October 10, 2011, 12:43:41 PM »
Sorry, Dale. The consignor contacted us, claiming they were "sent in error" along with a bunch of other posters, and begged me to end the auctions, and return them to him.

I normally NEVER do this (as those who watch our auctions know) but I tend to believe him, and I told him I will do it this one time, but to never send anything else thinking we might end it early.

And of course we never end an auction because someone makes a very high offer, as so many auctions do.

Anyway, many of the experts here seem to think there are tons of these out there, so maybe some of them can find a set for you.

Bruce

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1192 on: October 10, 2011, 12:55:00 PM »
I sympathize with your situation Bruce, but there's no doubt that whoever consigned them got wind that something was up with them, maybe even from this thread. This part of the problem with having a thread like this that alerts both buyers and sellers of things that are counterproductive to effective auction sales, depending on whether you are a buyer or seller. Oh well, less money spent, and that's a good thing.

Sorry, Dale. The consignor contacted us, claiming they were "sent in error" along with a bunch of other posters, and begged me to end the auctions, and return them to him.

I normally NEVER do this (as those who watch our auctions know) but I tend to believe him, and I told him I will do it this one time, but to never send anything else thinking we might end it early.

And of course we never end an auction because someone makes a very high offer, as so many auctions do.

Anyway, many of the experts here seem to think there are tons of these out there, so maybe some of them can find a set for you.

Bruce
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1193 on: October 10, 2011, 01:31:35 PM »
No need to fret. Baywatch: Forbidden Paradise is still available!  Hasselhoff rules!

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #1194 on: October 10, 2011, 03:42:29 PM »
I sympathize with your situation Bruce, but there's no doubt that whoever consigned them got wind that something was up with them, maybe even from this thread. This part of the problem with having a thread like this that alerts both buyers and sellers of things that are counterproductive to effective auction sales, depending on whether you are a buyer or seller. Oh well, less money spent, and that's a good thing.

That was my thought that the seller decided he had let a real "winner" go and wanted them back.  I am sure that it will be privately sold and never see the light of day again.  The poster has never been auctioned before by emovie nor Heritage which combined is like 750,000 searchable auction results.  Private sale no commission could have saved that guy a lot of money.

What do you guys think the high value would have been?  Dale you were high bidder. Holiday how much did it save you?
500 each, 800 each, more?

Brian

"Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #1195 on: October 10, 2011, 04:31:32 PM »
It seems that someone other than me may have believed "Mr Alliance Atlantis" when he said there were less than 20 sets in existence.

Mark

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1196 on: October 10, 2011, 04:37:53 PM »
It seems that someone other than me may have believed "Mr Alliance Atlantis" when he said there were less than 20 sets in existence.

Mark

One can never really be 100% sure of this sellers motives but it sure does look that way.

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #1197 on: October 10, 2011, 06:48:54 PM »
  So exactly what is the point of a mid-auction analysis? Only Bruce knows for sure, but Mark appears to be the source of the attributed "20 set" description in the auction.  Dale and Holiday were all over this auction, and probably knew what it was without being told.  Now neither has a chance to purchase it.

How does a mid-auction analysis really help anyone but the Seller?

Brian

PS.  Not withstanding the excellent Kate Beckinsale posts   ;D

« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 06:59:12 PM by ATLfun »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1198 on: October 10, 2011, 07:16:34 PM »
 So exactly what is the point of a mid-auction analysis? Only Bruce knows for sure, but Mark appears to be the source of the attributed "20 set" description in the auction.  Dale and Holiday were all over this auction, and probably knew what it was without being told.  Now neither has a chance to purchase it.

Probably best if Mark had never disclosed that info publicly but it's water under the bridge.

BTW the Mad Max UK one sheet is now at $500, the highest price ever at a consignment auction for a Mad Max poster:

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1199 on: October 10, 2011, 08:06:01 PM »
I don't begrudge this thread at all.  A lot of learning was done and that's the point.  There's so many damned posters out there that  missing the op to buy this set really is like giving a tic tac to a whale -  it really doesn't mean anything.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.