Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203521 times)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #1150 on: October 08, 2011, 09:16:34 AM »
Also, I look forward to the day when peeing on a poster becomes the de facto authenticity test...

Good times...  :)

Is your DARK KNIGHT B sheet the real McCoy?  Let Mr.Wayne put it to the test...

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1151 on: October 08, 2011, 09:53:48 AM »
Archie - I've given you a source for the information as you requested. Jason was a guy who had an encyclopedic knowledge and massive collection of Canadian film posters and if I do not qualify as a "knowledgeable collector" he most certainly would. This hobby is largely based on opinions, more so with rare and unusual posters and prospective purchasers can choose to be influenced by Bruce's addendums or not. I welcome the responsive way in which Bruce provides additional information during the course of his auctions but I do not think he should refer to this having been provided by "advanced collectors" or "experts". Unless the changes are technically obvious or he quotes the name of an undoubted source I think he should just say "the following opinion has been received". I do have the additional advantage in this case of being able to inspect the posters and I simply cannot imagine them having being printed for external use. I think your suggestion that they were for a trade show or similar is more plausible.
I appreciated your responses and I am not trying to make any kind of assertion regarding your knowledge level (or that of Mr. Canada).  Considering the sheer number of times (a whole bunch) that I've been an under-bidder to auctions that you've won, I have a pretty good idea that you know your stuff.  

What I am saying is that 20 is a weird amount.  Why would they need anything like that many for a trade show/event?  And a Canadian one at that...  :P  For something like that they would be more likely to print up one-offs.  It's obvious that they don't come around very often no matter how you look at it - it's just that putting a number on it seems a little much.  I wish I could inspect the coating and compare it to some of the oddballs in my collection.

Fight Club. I have an original set bought at the time of the film's release and sets from the "second wave" - I forget when these first appeared. The only difference I can ascertain is that the original set is 3/4" wider (they are both the same height). The quality of printing and the paper stock appears to be the same. Could these not just be from a second print run rather than reproductions?

Very good to know.  The second wave was sometime after the Doc Ock controversy (same sellers). Actually, that size difference, which is pretty significant, would lead me to believe that the second wave were more likely reprints. According to Dan, 1/4" or less variations are generally common.  3/4" means that something else is up.  At the very least, being that much smaller is definitely a warning sign...

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1152 on: October 08, 2011, 12:14:18 PM »
Re: Fight Club wilding/teasers

I distinctly remember seeing these wrapped up against cardboard in the racks at Suncoast a month or so after the film came out. All of these variations were there, and at the time, there were about 4 of each...all with the Suncoast gold sticker seal of "Official Movie Poster" (which to the collector should mean "Don't Buy This Unless You Have Plans For Your Dorm Wall").

Take that for what its worth.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 12:57:41 PM by wonka »
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1153 on: October 08, 2011, 12:55:33 PM »
This whole conversation has weirded me out.  Now I don't know what/who to believe.  I think I'm going to refrain from bidding on any of these posters.  Too much trouble.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1154 on: October 08, 2011, 01:04:34 PM »
Plus, I do reminder very distinctively seeing the Open Range posters on construction sites.  They are definitely wilding.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1155 on: October 08, 2011, 01:24:53 PM »
This whole conversation has weirded me out.  Now I don't know what/who to believe.  I think I'm going to refrain from bidding on any of these posters.  Too much trouble.

T

But will you undertake the "Pee on your Poster" authenticity test challenge?
Chris

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1156 on: October 08, 2011, 01:26:19 PM »
On the 3 Gangs posters?  Definitely.  Scorsese's worst movie (IMO, of course) and it would be my pleasure to pee on the despicable Cameron Diaz.  I can't stand her.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #1157 on: October 08, 2011, 03:09:34 PM »
it would be my pleasure to pee on the despicable Cameron Diaz. 

I'd like to do this myself.. but that's because I like her and have weird sexual fantasies that include her in leather and Saran wrap

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1158 on: October 08, 2011, 03:24:41 PM »
I'd like to do this myself.. but that's because I like her and have weird sexual fantasies that include her in leather and Saran wrap

"Ohhhh, Rich...you really know how to turn a woman on!"

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #1159 on: October 08, 2011, 04:48:36 PM »
I welcome the responsive way in which Bruce provides additional information during the course of his auctions

Yeah, but Bruce is quick to point out anything that will enhance the final sale price, just as he is quick to remove something that would damage his reputation.

Also, no offense, but your assertions and Mr. Canada are not the same thing as a studio source.  Like with the Sam Bass Schindler poster, the limited nature and purpose was verified by someone inside the studio.

For Bruce to to post in an auction that some collector thinks there are twenty or so in existence reeks of opportunism.

Brian
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 04:58:36 PM by ATLfun »
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1160 on: October 08, 2011, 04:49:08 PM »
I'm not home, so I can't post pictures, but I'm sure Ted can find a nice picture of this beauty without makeup.  

Actually, here's one.

T
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1161 on: October 08, 2011, 04:57:02 PM »
 Yeah, but Bruce is quick to point out anything that will enhance the final sale price, just as he is quick to remove something that would damage his reputation.

Also, no offense, but your assertions and Mr. Canada are not the same thing as a studio source.  Like with the Sam Bass Schindler poster, the limited nature and purpose was verified by someone inside the studio.  To post that some collector thinks there are twenty or so in existence reeks of opportunism.

Brian

Brian, I worked at Universal, DreamWorks and Amblin, one of my good friend was the one time head of DreamWorks distribution and I cannot tell you how many times I read statements about this or that poster that turned out to be completely wrong.  Assumptions are made constantly by us collectors (I make them too, for lack of real knowledge), and they don't mean shit.  Whether Gangs is Canadian, US, wilding, fake... all blah blah since no one knows for sure.  If you like the posters, buy them for that reason, not because of what they could or could not be, because you don't know.  When the Schindler's List poster showed up at Moviegoods, I personally contacted Paul Martin, former head of Universal Distrib. and asked him about it.  Then I knew for sure.  And only then.  

T
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 04:57:39 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #1162 on: October 08, 2011, 05:04:51 PM »
  T, I totally get what you are saying and do not disagree with a single word.  Bruce holds out his organization as the ultimate, beyond Christie's and the rest.  He brags about his company never being involved in forgeries and scandals.

There is absolutely nothing to back up the assertion of 20 in existence as the auction describes. You simply have one person (Mr. Canada) asserting an opinion and another person (marklawd) saying he believes the first person.

That seems really, really, really weak in my book.  It should take more than that to make it into an emovie description.

Brian
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 05:06:48 PM by ATLfun »
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1163 on: October 08, 2011, 05:13:08 PM »
I agree that Bruce could simply say "rare" instead of "20".  That would do the trick as well and would be truer.  But our hobby is based on hype, so I'm not surprised.  I won't bash Bruce for misinformation, though.  Out of all the sellers I know, he is the only one who asks the right questions, listens and corrects his mistakes.  But at the end of the day, he also makes a living out of posters.

T
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1164 on: October 08, 2011, 05:25:25 PM »
I'm not home, so I can't post pictures, but I'm sure Ted can find a nice picture of this beauty without makeup.  
Actually, here's one.

I wasn't planning on looking at her face

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1165 on: October 08, 2011, 05:26:59 PM »
I won't bash Bruce for misinformation, though.  Out of all the sellers I know, he is the only one who asks the right questions, listens and corrects his mistakes.  But at the end of the day, he also makes a living out of posters.

I'm insulted
I want a divorce

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1166 on: October 08, 2011, 05:52:11 PM »
I wasn't planning on looking at her face

Here's something to get your mad on....

http://www.giftopia1.com/c/Cameron-Diaz.php

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1167 on: October 08, 2011, 06:07:08 PM »
You Diaz haters need to get a testosterone injection....

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1168 on: October 08, 2011, 06:29:38 PM »
Thanks for the link T.  :P

It is one scary looking halloween skank.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1169 on: October 08, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »
Re: Fight Club wilding/teasers

I distinctly remember seeing these wrapped up against cardboard in the racks at Suncoast a month or so after the film came out. All of these variations were there, and at the time, there were about 4 of each...all with the Suncoast gold sticker seal of "Official Movie Poster" (which to the collector should mean "Don't Buy This Unless You Have Plans For Your Dorm Wall").

Take that for what its worth.

Are you certain on that timeline?  That it was '99 and not '04ish... 

This is the first time that I've heard of Suncoast reprinting wilding posters.  I am more than a little surprised in that the Fight Club wilding teasers just weren't around in any kind of quantity before the second wave hit...

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #1170 on: October 08, 2011, 07:00:38 PM »
Cameron Diaz is not perfect, but she is very attractive IMHO. 

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1171 on: October 08, 2011, 07:12:10 PM »
There are enough perfect women in this world to not worry about the imperfect ones. 
My Personal Collection

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1172 on: October 08, 2011, 07:37:36 PM »
There are enough perfect women in this world....

But only one Kate Beckinsale...

Thank you, Esquire!  happy1

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #1173 on: October 08, 2011, 07:40:26 PM »
But only one Kate Beckinsale...

Thank you, Esquire!  happy1

Fuck, the pasta is overcooking!

Charlie

« Reply #1174 on: October 08, 2011, 07:43:16 PM »
Fuck, the pasta is overcooking!

Why the fuck were you looking at the pasta?  Those Top Gun discussions are starting to effect your game man...  Pasta; anybody else see the pasta?  Is this were I should make a cheesy noodle reference?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 07:44:01 PM by Charlie »