Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203808 times)

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #6700 on: April 23, 2015, 10:26:59 PM »
God where do I begin...! As I started collecting propaganda posters I took a hit on several of those (I need to buy this now it will NEVER come up again right), not being the saavy collector I am today (hehe). I made several "god I'm addicted" purchases a couple of years ago which I now see time and time again sell for a fraction.  What with getting ripped on shipping -also, wasn't as saavy on that end- it was salt into the wound thing.  Now I haggle with just about everyone.  I once bought 5 posters from a guy and paid around 160 in shipping - he had prepackaged so he taped 5 tubes together!  Canada customs also killed me with a painful import charge that should not have been even there if it had been 1 tube!

I think we have all gone through this phase to one degree or another and hopefully learned from our mistakes. Unlike motocross where it is if in doubt gas it, if I am in doubt on posters I will let off the gas. With rare exception it has been the right decision in the end. The biggest thing I learned is research everything I buy before hand and if I am unsure ask someone from here who specializes in that area. Your odds of coming out OK are much higher that way. It's like with me and Star Wars. I have several people who will ask my opinion on pieces before buying and I always do my best to give the the best educated response I can. If I can't I try to direct them to someone who can if at all possible. Many of the know it alls here are the same way thankfully and I for one am grateful of that. A big thumbs up to everyone on that end!  thumbsup.gif
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Online Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #6701 on: April 23, 2015, 10:37:28 PM »
I think we have all gone through this phase to one degree or another and hopefully learned from our mistakes. Unlike motocross where it is if in doubt gas it, if I am in doubt on posters I will let off the gas. With rare exception it has been the right decision in the end. The biggest thing I learned is research everything I buy before hand and if I am unsure ask someone from here who specializes in that area. Your odds of coming out OK are much higher that way. It's like with me and Star Wars. I have several people who will ask my opinion on pieces before buying and I always do my best to give the the best educated response I can. If I can't I try to direct them to someone who can if at all possible. Many of the know it alls here are the same way thankfully and I for one am grateful of that. A big thumbs up to everyone on that end!  thumbsup.gif

I hear you.  This place, and my perusing thousands of webpages, has saved me boatloads.

But can you imagine getting 5 tubes fecking taped together?  "Hey honey, a pentagon came in the mail for you"  I guess you could say it was a turning point in my life, because after that i seriously started questioning everything/everyone.   faint2.gif

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6702 on: April 23, 2015, 11:40:27 PM »

But can you imagine getting 5 tubes fecking taped together?  "Hey honey, a pentagon came in the mail for you"  I guess you could say it was a turning point in my life, because after that i seriously started questioning everything/everyone.   faint2.gif

That is a conversation I wish I had witnessed!

Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6703 on: April 23, 2015, 11:49:16 PM »

Well said and so true, Mike.

And its good to know there are those, like you here, that are willing to help, guide and direct, if need be.  sm1

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #6704 on: April 24, 2015, 04:11:21 AM »
I have several people who will ask my opinion on pieces before buying and I always do my best to give the the best educated response I can.

I still keep your  emails Mike ! I certainly value your advice and appreciate your knowledge..and generosity. That aside I find that sharing my posters and whatever minimal knowledge i have with people who appreciate the hobby makes the whole experience a better one.. more rewarding.

As Jeff says, there are lots of good will, people on APF willing to share ..himself included ! and I think that is really something to celebrate.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6705 on: April 24, 2015, 01:41:57 PM »
I hear you.  This place, and my perusing thousands of webpages, has saved me boatloads.

Vick,

THAT would have made a great pic to post here... happy1

Did u save the packaging, by chance?

-Jeff

Online Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #6706 on: April 24, 2015, 11:11:39 PM »
Did u save the packaging, by chance?
I was so green, I didn't even think of taking a picture!
This post is the only way I have been able to share my story.  So beware kids ...the "Pentagon Maniac" has his own ideas when it comes to "combined shipping" and it involves a lot of duct tape!

Mirosae

« Reply #6707 on: April 25, 2015, 04:34:48 AM »
Oh Vick.. that's funny...that'd sad...that's terrible. ....no wonder you are totally crazy... :-*

Mirosae

« Reply #6708 on: April 25, 2015, 04:41:24 AM »
This ebay seller is the Italian Benito. This is €18,000. Worth every penny.  :-*

http://m.ebay.it/itm/190543747963?nav=SEARCH

« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 04:43:40 AM by Mirosae »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6709 on: April 25, 2015, 12:43:11 PM »
I was so green, I didn't even think of taking a picture!
This post is the only way I have been able to share my story.  So beware kids ...the "Pentagon Maniac" has his own ideas when it comes to "combined shipping" and it involves a lot of duct tape!

I'm sure, Vick. Its one of those things that initially probably had you looking rather  mesmrized  until you opened it, realized what the "object" contained and then, hopefully, made you say  woohoo  !!

-Jeff

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6710 on: May 06, 2015, 11:31:09 PM »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6711 on: May 06, 2015, 11:39:08 PM »
Offered by none other than Jim Gresham!

It's a beauty.  faint2.gif

bed1

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6712 on: May 06, 2015, 11:50:31 PM »
Offered by none other than Jim Gresham!

It's a beauty.  faint2.gif

bed1

I wonder what poster he's looking to raise the money for?
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6713 on: May 06, 2015, 11:57:52 PM »

And with a price tag of (potentially) $40K!

I wonder.....

hmmm.gif

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6714 on: May 07, 2015, 12:34:39 AM »
Its a great freaking poster.
Wow.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6715 on: May 07, 2015, 01:31:15 PM »

I can tell you it isn't a OS or 3sh.   whistle.gif
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 02:10:29 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6716 on: May 07, 2015, 04:50:49 PM »
I can tell you it isn't a OS or 3sh.   whistle.gif

He could probably buy 20 Invisible Man real art title cards with those proceeds ;)
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6717 on: May 09, 2015, 03:14:54 PM »
Jim ended The House Of Frank 3sh auction early.

A probable, good sign, methinks.  notworthy.gif

« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 03:15:25 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6718 on: May 14, 2015, 10:51:55 PM »
Jim ended The House Of Frank 3sh auction early.

A probable, good sign, methinks.  notworthy.gif

Maybe Grey convinced him to let HA have a shot
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6719 on: May 15, 2015, 04:30:08 PM »
Maybe Grey convinced him to let HA have a shot

Maybe.. tho there was method to his 'madness.'  ;)

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6720 on: May 18, 2015, 01:31:02 PM »
Look what popped up all restored in the July upcoming auction!!
http://movieposters.ha.com/itm/moulin-rouge-united-artists-1934-one-sheet-2725-x-41-/p/7109-22003.s

Now you get a 2nd crack at it!!

They sure did nice restore job to this beauty.  bed1

Now to see how it will do, compared to its $2200+ sale price on ebay, this coming July.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 01:31:48 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline YugoMoviePoster

• Beginner
« Reply #6721 on: May 22, 2015, 02:28:52 PM »
This is listed as Danish First release poster.

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=3868136

However, when you look at auction history - it is says that is from 1960s re-release.
Apparently the one with "United Artist" logo in lower right corner is from re-release, and the one with "Constantin Films" logo is First Release poster.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #6722 on: May 22, 2015, 02:43:10 PM »
This is listed as Danish First release poster.

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=3868136

However, when you look at auction history - it is says that is from 1960s re-release.
Apparently the one with "United Artist" logo in lower right corner is from re-release, and the one with "Constantin Films" logo is First Release poster.

Good catch.  I would definitely shoot Bruce a quick email with your findings... I'm sure it will be corrected ASAP.

Offline YugoMoviePoster

• Beginner
« Reply #6723 on: May 22, 2015, 03:11:53 PM »
Yes, I have just send email to Matt, who is in charge for this kind of stuff.
I always do that when its about Yugoslavian posters, because I know the subject well.

In this case not sure that archive info is corect, so I hoped that someone who knows better about Danish posters can confirm that.

Edit: Just check at the Heritage and they also had listed "Constantin Films" poster as 1947 first release, so probably - that is it.

Edit Edit: Matt just reply: "This is actually the 1947 first release poster but someone added a United Artist snipe over the Constantin logo".
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 03:51:40 PM by YugoMoviePoster »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6724 on: May 22, 2015, 04:04:49 PM »
Yes, I have just send email to Matt, who is in charge for this kind of stuff.
I always do that when its about Yugoslavian posters, because I know the subject well.

In this case not sure that archive info is corect, so I hoped that someone who knows better about Danish posters can confirm that.

Edit: Just check at the Heritage and they also had listed "Constantin Films" poster as 1947 first release, so probably - that is it.

Edit Edit: Matt just reply: "This is actually the 1947 first release poster but someone added a United Artist snipe over the Constantin logo".

That is quite an oversight.. to not mention (a simple oversight, tho) a glued snipe, that had been placed over the Constanin logo, in the description. The great thing is that emovie will notify the winner, giving him/her the option to not follow with the purchase, if they so choose.  :D

« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 04:14:13 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff