Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2847595 times)

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #7300 on: May 02, 2015, 11:40:38 AM »
Well done, Matt, I've been watching your quest and am glad you finally got around the competition this time.  Looks to be in great shape too.

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #7301 on: May 02, 2015, 03:13:52 PM »
Well done, Matt, I've been watching your quest and am glad you finally got around the competition this time.  Looks to be in great shape too.

--Peter

I wish it didn't have the chip on the upper right, but then again I've wished I've had a copy for the past two years as well :)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7302 on: May 02, 2015, 04:21:27 PM »
I always like this Polish OS for Aliens.  happy1 It sold on Thurs, also, for $106.00

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=3840739
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 04:21:49 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7303 on: May 05, 2015, 01:24:44 PM »
A beautiful Ballester on this locandina for No Sad Songs For Me (1951). It sold for $62.00 on the bay yesterday.   thumbup

« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 01:30:11 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #7304 on: May 05, 2015, 05:30:34 PM »
I always like this Polish OS for Aliens.  happy1 It sold on Thurs, also, for $106.00

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=3840739

As elsewhere, indeed Everywhere, I am not a Star Wars fan but the proliferation and diversity of posters does attract me to the various conversations...

As for this one, oh my God, Polish posters!

I have read how these things were designed and what materials and information the designers had available prior to putting ink to paper, and one can deliberate at length how the designing minds worked to get from Three Words to Poster.

Excellent.  (But not for me)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7305 on: May 05, 2015, 05:39:07 PM »
Perhaps it's the possible sipping of absinthe that helps, while the creative juices are flowing, Simon.

;D

-Jeff

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #7306 on: May 07, 2015, 05:33:45 PM »
It was up for sale in a bargain bin for $20 but not now. It didn't look that great anyway.

That's a decent-looking card 11"x14" card.  I think it is probably from a rerelease due to the "Poli Films Mundiales" which does not appear on the original release material I've seen.

There is also a 14"x17" card featuring the Espert artwork.  I didn't want to say anything earlier until I acquired one myself  ;)

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #7307 on: May 07, 2015, 05:43:43 PM »
Great investigative work to find that card, Deke. It looks much nicer than the one I found. Yes will look great on the wall  thumbsup.gif

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7308 on: May 07, 2015, 06:16:17 PM »
 thumbsup.gif Deke!!

-Jeff

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7309 on: May 10, 2015, 04:07:14 PM »
And here is another Golden Age poster that sold on Ebay on Saturday for $2325.  I was in it until the end...went a bit too high for me.  Gorgeous stone-litho in not bad condition.  Discovered in a box in a barn!!  Ahh, love when that happens...especially when the condition stays so nice :)

Look what popped up all restored in the July upcoming auction!!
http://movieposters.ha.com/itm/moulin-rouge-united-artists-1934-one-sheet-2725-x-41-/p/7109-22003.s

Now you get a 2nd crack at it!!
Tait

Mirosae

« Reply #7310 on: May 10, 2015, 05:29:17 PM »
Well spotted!

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #7311 on: May 12, 2015, 10:30:37 PM »

Very cool Planet of the Polish Apes beats out the Polish Empire Strikes Back
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=3855136

Apocalypse Now also goes for a nice $370
http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/5654945.html

A couple more nice polish pieces thumbsup.gif

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7312 on: May 12, 2015, 10:47:16 PM »
International posters sell well, these days.  It has become so competitive.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline hepcatpunk

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7313 on: May 12, 2015, 11:03:33 PM »
 :'(
International posters sell well, these days.  It has become so competitive.

T

I was thinking the same thing tonight. EMP auctions are more of a dogfight than ever it seems now.  Crazy high prices for all the SW stuff I want :'( Ended up w/ two non-SW pieces I wasn't targeting tonight, but I'll take what I can get.  Can't believe the prices that ESB Polish poster has brought the last couple of weeks.
-Brian

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7314 on: May 12, 2015, 11:07:10 PM »
I think Bruce is making a mistake by auctioning a "rare" poster like the Empire polish 2 weeks in a row.  The seller would have got more money if Bruce had spaced them out a little.  It was rare the first time (first time EMP auctioned it, according to their description), now it seems like he will be dropping one on a weekly basis.

T
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 11:07:59 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline hepcatpunk

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7315 on: May 12, 2015, 11:12:16 PM »
I think Bruce is making a mistake by auctioning a "rare" poster like the Empire polish 2 weeks in a row.  The seller would have got more money if Bruce had spaced them out a little.  It was rare the first time (first time EMP auctioned it, according to their description), now it seems like he will be dropping one on a weekly basis.

T

Could be his new Pulp Fiction for international auctions.  One per int'l auction for eternity.
-Brian

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7316 on: May 12, 2015, 11:33:04 PM »
True.  I don't think there's been a single auction of modern stuff in the past 4 years that hasn't had a Pulp Fiction poster for sale.  I'm actually surprised it's still worth anything.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Gingerman

• Hobbyist
  • I said......Give me time......
    • Be Kind Please Rewind
« Reply #7317 on: May 13, 2015, 12:25:52 AM »
True.  I don't think there's been a single auction of modern stuff in the past 4 years that hasn't had a Pulp Fiction poster for sale.  I'm actually surprised it's still worth anything.

T

I was actually thinking the same thing a few days ago, there is always something Pulp Fiction up for grabs.

I was however very surprised to see the Polish Empire 2 weeks in a row. Will we see a 3rd on 5/19?

I must admit when I first started collecting I was dead set only US and maybe International release 80's to Modern stuff.
Now I must admit I seriously LOVE Polish posters!!! bed1

And on a personal note, I was looking at your E.T. collection and came to the conclusion that you suck!  ;D
But seriously it is an impressive chapter in your enormous collection  notworthy.gif, I used it as a reference for my own E.T. Checklist.
Picked up a few more tonight (I now have 9), but the Moon and Spaceship are going to be pretty pricey for the condition I seek. 
This Space For Rent!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7318 on: May 13, 2015, 12:43:45 AM »
Well, it's part of my Spielberg collection, so I tend to go overboard a little.  Plus, ET is my favorite childhood movie.  A friend of mine was a PA on the movie and I have so many stories on the making of ET.  But not for a public forum.

Now regarding collecting, don't stress it, everything comes around.  Lose one, you'll find another one.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7319 on: May 13, 2015, 12:50:12 AM »
Well, it's part of my Spielberg collection, so I tend to go overboard a little.  Plus, ET is my favorite childhood movie.  A friend of mine was a PA on the movie and I have so many stories on the making of ET.  But not for a public forum.

Now regarding collecting, don't stress it, everything comes around.  Lose one, you'll find another one.

T

Right on, T.

A good reminder for those that think otherwise.  cheers

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #7320 on: May 13, 2015, 01:46:34 AM »
E.T..............And I had you down as a Back to the future kind of fellow..
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7321 on: May 13, 2015, 02:10:00 AM »
E.T..............And I had you down as a Back to the future kind of fellow..

All movies I grew up on.  But ET holds a special place.  It closed the Cannes Film Festival in May 1982 and my uncle told me that the entire theater was in tears, something that doesn't happen very often, if ever, at Cannes.  Spielberg, who was hiding behind the curtain the whole movie, was convinced his $10 million personal movie would come and go, and was reportedly shocked to see the Cannes intellectuals embrace it with such fervor.  It officially came out in June in the US and then December 1st in Paris, so I had to wait 7 months.  7 months of reading glowing reviews and hearing that it was the biggest success of all time in the US.  I saw it at the 2 o'clock screening on Wednesday the 1st and ended up seeing it 3 times that day, and a dozen times that week.  I know that because I kept a journal of the movies I saw in my early teens and I still have it.  Then I started collecting everything on the movie.  I have an entire box of magazines from around the world, photos, newspapers, stickers, everything I could put my hands on.  So when I started collecting posters 15 years ago, I made sure ET would be front and center.

T
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 02:11:20 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #7322 on: May 13, 2015, 08:52:18 AM »
Crazy high prices for all the SW stuff I want :'( Ended up w/ two non-SW pieces I wasn't targeting tonight, but I'll take what I can get. 

That Blues Brothers you got kicketh some asseth. I was tempted between that one and the Rebel without a Cause...but:

Now I must admit I seriously LOVE Polish posters!!! bed1

Yeah, T's got a few Polish-es I wouldn't mind on me wall.  As for me, I scored (sorry matt) this bad boy, which I can't wait to get and frame. Quintessential polish prize for me.  Have not seen a lot of these.  I wonder if the "sensurround" bit listed in the description on the US OS and on the lobby card influenced the design.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #7323 on: May 13, 2015, 09:01:04 AM »
That Blues Brothers you got kicketh some asseth. I was tempted between that one and the Rebel without a Cause...but:

Yeah, T's got a few Polish-es I wouldn't mind on me wall.  As for me, I scored (sorry matt) this bad boy, which I can't wait to get and frame. Quintessential polish prize for me.  Have not seen a lot of these.  I wonder if the "sensurround" bit listed in the description on the US OS and on the lobby card influenced the design.

Congrats!  And no worries, I have so many Eastern Europeans now that I try not to go overboard -- hence you got it for a good price :) 

Now... when I do go overboard, LOOK OUT!  gun1

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #7324 on: May 13, 2015, 09:07:18 AM »
I won some good stuff last night for sure, but I'm pissed I missed out on this OUATIA Russian  moron1 

If anyone has one they want to sell for my Eastern European archive, let me know!