Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203460 times)

Charlie

Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #5000 on: November 14, 2013, 08:22:19 AM »
How would he know the final prices before they were listed?

Well as long as they are 35% above what he was hoping to get, I guess he'll come out alright...  There is a give and take - I concede to your statement.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5001 on: November 14, 2013, 12:27:06 PM »
Yep, it's a Glucksman program, used in Argentina or Uruguay.
And we DO believe Frankenstein is real  :D

Some of us here do, too, Matias. No doubt. And I've seen more than a few of those types wandering around the streets here, too.   ;)

It was just funny how the seller worded it.. saying he felt the hand bill was printed or produced in Transylvania..

OR.....

Maybe it was?? LOL.   :o

;)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 12:48:56 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

guest8

« Reply #5002 on: November 14, 2013, 05:50:38 PM »
Too bad you didn't ask any of us if we wanted any of them...   hitself  Could have saved the 35% consignor fee...

Ill probably lose more than 35% to fees .. BUT .. some may go higher than I expect too .. ANNNDDD .. the main thing for me is, by sending the posters to Bruce I don't have to worry about shipping 40 poster tubes out either. If I had to do that Id have to buy poster tubes as well. I think of the 12 posters he has sold for me so far my "average" commission is 50%. You go big on some I lose out on some others. That's why Im running an average, I sent Bruce ~300 posters so I will take a look at the numbers once most/all of them are sold and see if it was a huge mistake or what little I lost was worth the hassle of not having to worry about shipping 200+ tubes all over the world.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5003 on: November 14, 2013, 06:38:01 PM »
Agreed 100% Dave.  Shipping blows.  This is actually the #1 reason why I will not sell any of my gear.  I don't want to deal with it.  It's much easier to not sell at all.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Bruce

« Reply #5004 on: November 14, 2013, 07:24:21 PM »
Agreed 100% Dave.  Shipping blows.  This is actually the #1 reason why I will not sell any of my gear.  I don't want to deal with it.  It's much easier to not sell at all.

T

Some day, and that day may never come, when you (or Mrs T) is ready to sell, I will dispatch an eMoviePoster.com truck to you, and they will load it and drive it here, and you will only pay the cost of doing so, and therefore you will have zero work (or buying of materials).

But until that day, don't consider this advice at all.

Bruce

« Reply #5005 on: November 14, 2013, 07:26:08 PM »
Ill probably lose more than 35% to fees .. BUT .. some may go higher than I expect too .. ANNNDDD .. the main thing for me is, by sending the posters to Bruce I don't have to worry about shipping 40 poster tubes out either. If I had to do that Id have to buy poster tubes as well. I think of the 12 posters he has sold for me so far my "average" commission is 50%. You go big on some I lose out on some others. That's why Im running an average, I sent Bruce ~300 posters so I will take a look at the numbers once most/all of them are sold and see if it was a huge mistake or what little I lost was worth the hassle of not having to worry about shipping 200+ tubes all over the world.

After they are all sold, if you give me permission, I will post exactly what you received and the percentages you paid, and everyone here can judge whether you would have done better peddling them one by one here, or on eBay, or on some other site.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #5006 on: November 14, 2013, 07:35:05 PM »

Maybe Charlie was referring to the ones you sold that he restored?  It seems like he and his team put a lot of effort into doing excellent work.  If it were me in the same situation, especially on pieces I worked hard on and liked a lot, I'd appreciate the opportunity to purchase those.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5007 on: November 14, 2013, 07:58:42 PM »
Some day, and that day may never come, when you (or Mrs T) is ready to sell, I will dispatch an eMoviePoster.com truck to you, and they will load it and drive it here, and you will only pay the cost of doing so, and therefore you will have zero work (or buying of materials).

But until that day, don't consider this advice at all.

My wife is ready to sell now, Bruce.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Bruce

« Reply #5008 on: November 14, 2013, 08:08:16 PM »

That is true with 99% of my consignors!

My largest consignor ever told me at our first meeting that he would not sell anything for ten years, and that after that he would spend years traveling the country in a mobile home, peddling his posters. I took one look at his wife's face as he said that, and I KNEW it was not going to work that way!

Instead, I sold everything for them, and they retired and he plays a round of golf every day!

guest8

« Reply #5009 on: November 14, 2013, 08:09:13 PM »
After they are all sold, if you give me permission, I will post exactly what you received and the percentages you paid, and everyone here can judge whether you would have done better peddling them one by one here, or on eBay, or on some other site.
Sure, I don't mind.. I actually planned on doing that anyways. I've been keeping track of the posters as you've been listing them and recording the traits of the posters along with the condition you've listed them as being and the high bid along with the commission %. I thought it would be some good info for anyone that's thinking about consigning a lot of average posters and with 300 posters it should present a solid example of what people could expect.

Maybe Charlie was referring to the ones you sold that he restored?  It seems like he and his team put a lot of effort into doing excellent work.  If it were me in the same situation, especially on pieces I worked hard on and liked a lot, I'd appreciate the opportunity to purchase those.
I never thought of that, had I .. i wouldn't have hesitated to give Charlie first crack at any of the posters. Now I feel badly, thanks Neo! :(

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5010 on: November 14, 2013, 08:18:22 PM »
Instead, I sold everything for them, and they retired and he plays a round of golf every day!

Well, good for him, although I really hope that I have something better than my posters to retire on.  Life is expensive in LA, so if this the case, I better stack up on beans and noodles now.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #5011 on: November 14, 2013, 08:47:27 PM »

some people just don't understand what this means

« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 08:47:56 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5012 on: November 14, 2013, 08:51:32 PM »
This is actually a conversation started by Dave, Rich.  Bruce is only a participant, not the source.

T
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5013 on: November 14, 2013, 08:58:01 PM »
This is actually a conversation started by Dave, Rich.  Bruce is only a participant, not the source.

T

Thierry, I'm pretty sure that Holiday means this stuff as well as starting threads.

Realistically,  the correct method of telling someone you want to handle their material as a dealer on any main board is to contact them via PM, otherwise this thread and every other one will continue to have commercial conversations where there really shouldn't be T. Obviously what will happen is one person does his promo and other does his promo and before you know it the forum is right back where it was before Holiday stepped in again, with someone whining about banner sizes. There is no question that these preceding posts are purely commercial material. Dealer shit, embedded in the main board. It really should be kept in it's proper place. But I'll let you and Holiday decide and post accordingly. You know I'm happy to follow whatever rules you have in place.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5014 on: November 14, 2013, 09:08:55 PM »
Does dealer shit smell like us regular folk shit?
Chris

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5015 on: November 14, 2013, 09:10:06 PM »
There will always be some form of advertisement, Rich.  Obviously, you have your banner in your signature every time you post, and that's okay.  Bruce can do the same (even though he chooses not to).  What we take issue with is when a dealer, you, Bruce or anyone else start advertising their gear in the discussion threads for no other purpose but to advertise their gear.  When you, Rich, answer a member's question in the discussion thread and your banner pops up, you are advertising your shop, but you're not doing it for the sake of doing it.  You are answering a question and your banner is right there for all to see.  If members, in this case Dave, Charlie and David, discuss one of Bruce's upcoming auctions, the fact that Bruce participates to the discussion is only fair.  And he won't be able to do it without mentioning his upcoming sale, since it was precisely what the members were talking about.  There is a very clear distinction in my eyes.  I hope you see it.

T
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 09:11:19 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5016 on: November 14, 2013, 09:10:34 PM »
Does dealer shit smell like us regular folk shit?

some of it smells quite a bit worse

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5017 on: November 14, 2013, 09:12:05 PM »
some of it smells quite a bit worse

Damn - gotta change that dealer diet!
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5018 on: November 14, 2013, 09:13:33 PM »
I fart in your general direction

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5019 on: November 14, 2013, 09:22:02 PM »
some people just don't understand what this means

ha·rangue
[huh-rang] noun, verb, ha·rangued, ha·rangu·ing.

noun
1. a scolding or a long or intense verbal attack; diatribe.

2. a long, passionate, and vehement speech, especially one delivered before a public gathering.

3. any long, pompous speech or writing of a tediously hortatory or didactic nature; sermonizing lecture or discourse.

verb (used with object)

4. to address in a harangue.

verb (used without object)

5. to deliver a harangue.

Origin:
1530–40;  (noun) < Middle French harangue  < Italian ar ( r ) inga  speech, oration, noun derivative of ar ( r ) ingare  to speak in public, verbal derivative of aringo  public square < Gothic *hriggs ring1 ; (v.) < Middle French haranguer  < Italian ar ( r ) ingare

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/harangue?s=t

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5020 on: November 14, 2013, 09:24:45 PM »
I fart in your general direction

Smells like elderberries
Chris

Bruce

« Reply #5021 on: November 14, 2013, 09:27:28 PM »

a long, passionate, and vehement speech, especially one delivered before a public gathering.

any long, pompous speech or writing of a tediously hortatory or didactic nature; sermonizing lecture or discourse.

laugh1

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #5022 on: November 14, 2013, 10:35:23 PM »

This is great. Really hope this happens, would love to see the results.

And thanks to David for being open to it for the betterment of the group.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #5023 on: November 14, 2013, 10:37:55 PM »

I laughed.

My wife would sell all my stuff in a heartbeat. She may keep a few things for our kids if she had her way, but yeah...she would welcome the eMovieTruck any day.

I am sure she would like the various closets, extra guest room, and loft free to actually use for other things than stacks of tubes, boxes, and flat files.
Kinda embarrassing, really.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 10:38:40 PM by wonka »

I was mistaken,

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #5024 on: November 14, 2013, 10:39:22 PM »
Smells like elderberries

Smells like Teen Spirit > Smells like Elderberries

I was mistaken,