Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203535 times)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #3950 on: March 09, 2013, 05:34:10 PM »
Rita was special for sure!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3951 on: March 09, 2013, 05:39:36 PM »
I really like the color tinted areas of the b/w photo that were used on this half sheet for Douglas Fairbanks' version of Robin Hood (UA 1922):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Robin-Hood-1922-Original-Movie-Poster-Half-Sheet-RARE-/320454840194?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4a9c98cf82

BIN: $12,995.00

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #3952 on: March 09, 2013, 07:45:45 PM »

Please just chalk this up as old forum baggage and continue posting as is.  I'm ALWAYS happy to see more people contributing!  cheers

Just to be clear, you want people to contribute but only in ways that you agree with, such an not "outing" auctions, right?  In the other thread about "the history of the hobby", you mentioned that you'd like to hear some cool stories from people who may or may not already be members here.  What happens if they share stories that expose some of their methods on how they acquired stuff (methods may be of limited knowledge that only a few people including you know) through something like low profile auctions, such as an auction where a lot of Star Wars posters sold for $50?  Would you chastise them the same as you did PS?  Stuff like that may be a reason why a lot of the guests choose to not be members here, because they don't want to be criticized for sharing some information that someone may not agree with.

Remember that at any given time there are probably 5-10 times as many guests on this forum as there are members.  If you

Regarding sharing information with "guests", what dictates the information they are worthy enough to receive, in your opinion?  The people who whine about guests seeing something here are probably not telling them they can't bid on items that the same members are selling and guests are bidding on.  How do you say that they should be "allowed" to be privy to some information shared here but not all?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3953 on: March 09, 2013, 08:14:53 PM »

Regarding sharing information with "guests", what dictates the information they are worthy enough to receive, in your opinion?  The people who whine about guests seeing something here are probably not telling them they can't bid on items that the same members are selling and guests are bidding on.  How do you say that they should be "allowed" to be privy to some information shared here but not all?

+1, Neo.  ;)

And who is to say that certain "guests" that visit APF from time to time may not already be registered bidders with Bruce, HA or ebay? Many probably are. Just because they aren't yet members on APF doesn't mean they dont buy, bid and win at the above mentioned auction sites.  8)

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3954 on: March 09, 2013, 09:13:43 PM »
Neo, if that is really what you think my argument boils down to -- that I'm somehow pro exclusivity, elitism & censorship -- then no amount of my explanation is going to convince you.  All the best buddy.

I'm not saying anything of the sort.  There are no rules against posting in-progress auctions and I'm not going to stop you.  I'm just asking people to be courteous of other members here and think twice before posting items with fair opening prices -- especially if your reasoning is that you think you are "helping" a member here who might end up the winner.  If you truly want to help, send a PM.  Even if the first person declines, it won't take long to locate the someone who is interested.  

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3955 on: March 09, 2013, 09:15:08 PM »
Please don't do that ps.  If you read back through the thousands of posts in this thread you'll find that we've had some multi-page dust ups over this topic in the past.  I was just trying to post a friendly reminder of some of the potential consequences for fellow members of posting in-progress auctions.  In retrospect, my 'friendly' comment ended up making me sound like a dickhead. 

Please just chalk this up as old forum baggage and continue posting as is.  I'm ALWAYS happy to see more people contributing!  cheers

You're such a dickwad Matt!  ;)

But yes I do believe you have spelled it out in the nicest way possible
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3956 on: March 09, 2013, 09:22:47 PM »
Just to be clear, you want people to contribute but only in ways that you agree with, such an not "outing" auctions, right?  In the other thread about "the history of the hobby", you mentioned that you'd like to hear some cool stories from people who may or may not already be members here.  What happens if they share stories that expose some of their methods on how they acquired stuff (methods may be of limited knowledge that only a few people including you know) through something like low profile auctions, such as an auction where a lot of Star Wars posters sold for $50?  Would you chastise them the same as you did PS?  Stuff like that may be a reason why a lot of the guests choose to not be members here, because they don't want to be criticized for sharing some information that someone may not agree with.

Uh Matt was clearly not chastizing PS.  It was a preemptive friendly tap on the shoulder - a protective 'heads up' if you will. 

Here is a real example of chastization:

If people choose to remain guests they likely have nothing worthwhile to share and/or they enjoy being leeching parasites.  Take and take and take and give nothing back...
Chris

Mirosae

« Reply #3957 on: March 09, 2013, 09:36:23 PM »
All that I can say is... as a new member or relatevely new... the sort of comments made in earlier threads do put me off quite a bit. And perhaps the question here is well Rosa, who cares?  Well, I do. Because I quite like apf. I see it takes time to learn all the rules written, explicit or implicit.  And please, don't take me wrong, I can see both sides of the argument around sharing or not this info. I am here for the bargain too. I am a buyer, so less well known auctions suit me fine!

But there must be a way to express those arguments in a way that enables others to have a view too, and without personal attacks. And yes, there are new people around that might not be that familar with every single thread and argument and all the rest of it.

I like apf very much, but i think that i will have to think twice before posting, which is a good thing perhaps, but then, all where is all the fun huh?

That's all I wanted to say and will say on this matter.. I am in a rather sad mood now (well, not so sad thanks to Ted's gifs, but do please spare me any harsh responses, at least for today. Though, so you know, on this issue I will say no more.

click

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3958 on: March 09, 2013, 09:45:42 PM »
+1

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3959 on: March 09, 2013, 10:06:03 PM »
-1 (to even it out)
Chris

Charlie

« Reply #3960 on: March 09, 2013, 10:19:36 PM »
Every collector for himself in a public forum.. PM the ones you think might be interested.  Pretty much everyone that sticks around long enough can figure out what other members collect. Just the other day Tob PMd me about a title I was after...

I can see where Matt is coming from it takes a lot of work to monitor all the different eBay sites.  Heck I even see a diffenrence when Bruce puts specifics posters up on his nobody has bid on this one yet. It does make a difference...

But all that being said every newb makes the same mistake I did the same thing outing a very nice daybill auction when I first joined. We did it out of our desire to make friends by helping your new community out. Honorable action I must say but the longer you stick around you will realize it was out of place.  Don't tuck your tail and run, learn and push on..
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 10:20:23 PM by Charlie »

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3961 on: March 09, 2013, 10:31:56 PM »
Rosa, don't afraid to say what you want or to post what you want or to out auctions if you want

practically every subject here has people on different sides of an issue.. sort of like........ life!

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

FightClub12

« Reply #3962 on: March 09, 2013, 10:46:23 PM »
So...

What's your guys opinion on building that 'cultural center/mosque' near ground zero?!!

hitself

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3963 on: March 09, 2013, 10:48:49 PM »
 laugh1 laugh1

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #3964 on: March 09, 2013, 10:56:47 PM »
So...

What's your guys opinion on building that 'cultural center/mosque' near ground zero?!!

hitself

and now we know why he calls himself fight club.  well done, sir!
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3965 on: March 09, 2013, 11:00:37 PM »
lol

-------

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #3966 on: March 09, 2013, 11:06:34 PM »

Neo, if that is really what you think my argument boils down to -- that I'm somehow pro exclusivity, elitism & censorship -- then no amount of my explanation is going to convince you.  All the best buddy.

You just ignored what I asked and came to your own conclusion about what I think your argument boils down to.  

I was basically asking how you justify talking out of both sides of your mouth, and talking about guests like they're unwanted, undeserving, etc.  Many of the guests are most likely a more integral part of the hobby than the members, considering the fact that only a few dozen people here regularly join in on the fun, and there are obviously a lot more people involved to make this stuff as fun as it is.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 11:10:23 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #3967 on: March 09, 2013, 11:10:04 PM »
I`m willing to take a temp ban on outing this one..

Probably one of the most sought after posters out there...
Metropolis

Stew

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3968 on: March 09, 2013, 11:13:36 PM »
talking about guests like they're unwanted, undeserving, etc.  Many of the guests are most likely a more integral part of the hobby than the members, considering the fact that only a few dozen people here regularly join in on the fun, and there are obviously a lot more people involved to make this stuff as fun as it is.

couldn't agree more

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3969 on: March 09, 2013, 11:37:54 PM »
You just ignored what I asked and came to your own conclusion about what I think your argument boils down to.  

I was basically asking how you justify talking out of both sides of your mouth, and talking about guests like they're unwanted, undeserving, etc.  Many of the guests are most likely a more integral part of the hobby than the members, considering the fact that only a few dozen people here regularly join in on the fun, and there are obviously a lot more people involved to make this stuff as fun as it is.

Who is ignoring what I wrote to form their own conclusions?

Remember that at any given time there are probably 5-10 times as many guests on this forum as there are members.  If you think you are helping members out by posting auctions here, you are probably doing the opposite.

That was the only statement I made about guests.  Who said unwanted, undeserving?  Oh yeah, you did. 

When posting on a forum you are inherently communicating with the other personalities that communicate back.  If your intention is to help those people you are communicating with -- which is the most common 'pro' people list for outing an auction -- then I'm just reminding people that they are speaking to a lot more people than they might at first realize.  Most people don't bother checking the stats... I know I didn't until I started reading that argument earlier in this thread.  I was shocked that we had so many guests. 

My comment was not about exclusivity or treating guests as second class citizens... it was about whether or not outing an auction is truly helpful to the the people you intend it to be.  But whatever, you've formed your conclusions about what I wrote and filled in any of the gaps yourself.  eyeroll

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3970 on: March 09, 2013, 11:53:13 PM »
everyone is equal.. logged member or fly-by-night guest.
when I speak, I speak to the world..

goodbye cruel world.. you suck...

-------

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #3971 on: March 10, 2013, 12:08:38 AM »

If your intention is to help those people you are communicating with -- which is the most common 'pro' people list for outing an auction -- then I'm just reminding people that they are speaking to a lot more people than they might at first realize.

Thanks for clarifying that part of the question, HC.  I just kinda interpreted it as similar to when Archie Leach said

Guests get a bad rap because they do not add anything to the discussion.  They take without giving. They expend no effort to reap rewards.  Screw 'em.

Several other times it has come up where people have shared similar feelings toward guests, and I thought you were implying something like that, but I see what you mean now.  You also have to look at the fact that people may want to help the community as a whole, and not just a couple dozen of the members, even if they say that's their intention.

Who is ignoring what I wrote to form their own conclusions?

The part you were ignoring was the part that I asked how you want people to join in here, and share stories, etc., but you also only want certain information shared.  These big harangues unfold when people share stuff you and others with similar opinions don't agree with sharing that information, and people who don't regularly join in here might not want to because they don't want to be involved in that kind of thing.  I actually know a few guys who are very knowledgeable about cars and they stopped going on forums, where they shared some really good, helpful information, because of the altercations that unfolded.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 12:15:21 AM by NeoLoco »

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #3972 on: March 10, 2013, 12:09:49 AM »
I think the key here is informative vs. inflamatory/derogatory.  I think HC was intending to be informative letting a new-ish member know that he might possibly step in a pile of doo-doo by posting auctions, thereby giving them higher visibility and a greater hammer price.  I do not think his intent was to be critical, inflamatory, derogatory, or exclusionary towards any group here.  

Unfortunately for Matt, we live in an over-sensitized, politically correct, cater-to-every-view type of world.  Point out the fact that someone might be doing something untoward has become untoward.  Simply by giving a craniums up, folks started assuming that Matt was one of the people who would be somehow upset about the outing if an auction.  I do not believe this is true because I think Matt long ago stopped using ebay to try to find great deals.  It is evident in the type of paper that her regularly acquires.

Anyway, that is my $.02, both as a moderator and a collector, for what its worth.  And if anyone feels that I am being opprobrious, feel free to call me out; but, do not be surprised if I leave a horse head on your pillow.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 12:13:07 AM by kovacs01 »
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3973 on: March 10, 2013, 12:20:53 AM »
Opprobrious?
Jeezum, I had to look that one up.

Charlie

« Reply #3974 on: March 10, 2013, 12:23:06 AM »
I myself saved the auctions just in case they got taken down... I think everyone knew what was coming HC just was the first guy to speak up...