Author Topic: Dr Bill's Lobby Card Obsession  (Read 40441 times)

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
Re: Dr Bill's Lobby Card Obsession
« Reply #175 on: February 16, 2017, 11:52:08 PM »
The Notorious Landlady, with Kim Novak and Jack Lemmon - 11" x 14" 8-card set.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #176 on: February 17, 2017, 12:10:11 AM »
Very nice, that last one.  And Ms Novak in the bathtub... thumbsup.gif

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #177 on: February 18, 2017, 01:13:29 AM »
Thanks, T. My favorite Kim Novak/Jack Lemmon movie is Bell, Book, and Candle, one I'll most likely never get the cards for, so this will have to do. But there is the bonus of Kim in the tub.  ;D She does strip in Pal Joey, a set I will have eventually. Need a mint one though - like you, I hate pin holes.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 01:24:12 AM by Dr Bill »

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #178 on: February 18, 2017, 01:23:45 AM »
From Hell, Johnny Depp and Heather Graham in a Jack the Ripper remake - German 8 1/4" x 11 3/4" 8-card set.

Offline Damomac

• Hobbyist
« Reply #179 on: February 18, 2017, 07:05:18 AM »
More wonderful additions Dr Bill keep them coming :)
- Damo (An Aussie Movie Poster Lover)

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #180 on: February 18, 2017, 08:33:34 AM »
Hey Dr. Bill, more lobby card goodness--lots and lots more since I was last here. Someone is definitely addicted. Ha! And you must be pleased in the rise of lobby card fans on here seemingly since you joined. There have been a couple of others I've noticed. They are in good company. Keep it up.

CHEERS!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #181 on: February 19, 2017, 12:46:01 AM »
Much appreciated, Damo and Shawn. Yes, there does seem to be more LC activity lately, which is good and bad. Good because I'm seeing lots of cards that inspire me, and very bad on the pocketbook. My collection's still pretty feeble compared to most, but I'm having fun finding new sets that go with my favorite films. The Kubrick stuff is harder to find than I anticipated, and much more expensive, but I'm making some headway. A mint '68 release of 2001 is still elusive. Ahhh - but tloce has a complete Lolita set for $3,000. Dream on...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #182 on: February 19, 2017, 12:56:48 AM »
Much appreciated, Damo and Shawn. Yes, there does seem to be more LC activity lately, which is good and bad. Good because I'm seeing lots of cards that inspire me, and very bad on the pocketbook. My collection's still pretty feeble compared to most, but I'm having fun finding new sets that go with my favorite films. The Kubrick stuff is harder to find than I anticipated, and much more expensive, but I'm making some headway. A mint '68 release of 2001 is still elusive. Ahhh - but tloce has a complete Lolita set for $3,000. Dream on...

And him wanting $3K for something that might not even be legit.  :-\

-Jeff

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #183 on: February 19, 2017, 01:02:01 AM »
Yes, DR. BILL, be careful. tloce has a "reputation". If you didn't get Jeff's subtle hint, well... let me just say: You may want to shop elsewhere...
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #184 on: February 19, 2017, 01:05:59 AM »
Not one of my favorite films exactly, but it was cheap at auction and I couldn't resist. As a vintage camera collector, the period look of the photos appealed to me.

Pretty Baby, a Louis Malle film with a young Brooke Shields, Susan Sarandon, and Kieth Carradine. 11" x 14" 8-card set.

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #185 on: February 19, 2017, 01:18:32 AM »

Yes, DR. BILL, be careful. tloce has a "reputation". If you didn't get Jeff's subtle hint, well... let me just say: You may want to shop elsewhere...

Yeah, I've read the threads about who not to buy from, but paying that kind of money for any set is out of the question regardless. I did buy an Aliens set from tloce when I first started - I guess it's real. The fine printing looks sharp and the paper feels like other cards, but the photos are really grainy. That may just be the quality of the set. I don't know any other way to tell if they're legit. The price of learning the ropes.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #186 on: February 19, 2017, 01:19:56 AM »
And check out this thread, too, DB... lots of wonderful LC goodness here, too.

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,427.0.html

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #187 on: February 19, 2017, 01:21:49 AM »
Yeah, I've read the threads about who not to buy from, but paying that kind of money for any set is out of the question regardless. I did buy an Aliens set from tloce when I first started - I guess it's real. The fine printing looks sharp and the paper feels like other cards, but the photos are really grainy. That may just be the quality of the set. I don't know any other way to tell if they're legit. The price of learning the ropes.

You should post those images here, too. You might get the answer on their legitimacy. 

-Jeff

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #188 on: February 19, 2017, 01:47:58 AM »
I'll do that. The set looks new and has very white borders, but when looking across the surface the pictures look strange - a bit dull and flat. Guess that's not good...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #189 on: February 19, 2017, 02:37:07 AM »

Two years later, Brooke Shields did Blue Lagoon, the first time I ever looked at a girl.  I had the French poster in my bedroom, even though I didn't care about posters.  It's the first poster I remember owning.  I probably drew on it to cover Christopher Atkins' face (I can't believe I even remember his name.)  Then a year later, Endless Love, and I truly fell in love...  OMG, the CU of her face when she's carrying the books... kill me now.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/NK1pmUKDht0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/NK1pmUKDht0</a>

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #190 on: February 19, 2017, 09:59:48 AM »

I'd be very suspicious of those Aliens cards.  They are on the list of known minty whites, and troche is a major distributer of this material.

Bruce's minty white article is here:  http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.com/NewSite/ADMIN/Problems/FAKES/MintyWhiteReport.asp
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #191 on: February 19, 2017, 12:43:31 PM »
I'd be very suspicious of those Aliens cards.  They are on the list of known minty whites, and troche is a major distributer of this material.

Bruce's minty white article is here:  http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.com/NewSite/ADMIN/Problems/FAKES/MintyWhiteReport.asp

It is discussed here, too:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,2404.0.html

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,8301.0.html

and some here, as well:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,2984.0.html

« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 01:07:20 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #192 on: February 19, 2017, 11:17:27 PM »
Thanks for the links guys. I've seen most of them, but unfortunately too late for the Aliens set. I've found a guide for the Alien (1) set here:

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Guide-to-Real-vs-Fake-Alien-1979-Lobby-Cards-/10000000012406685/g.html

but no such info on the cropping of the Aliens set. I'll post them when I get time, but I'm not sure if anyone can tell by the jpegs. Comparing the borders and bottom title section of the Aliens set to my known good Alien set, they are much, much whiter and the images are dull, grainy and washed out. Although the NSS licensing information at the bottom right is very sharp under a magnifier, the letters are much finer and lack the black depth of the Alien cards. It looks like the guy still has an unlimited supply of these sets up for sale, as well as the singles. I'm not getting a good feeling about this.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #193 on: February 19, 2017, 11:28:13 PM »
I don't know if it will help, but you can always check some of the jpgs on my site since I don't know which Aliens set you're talking about.  8x10in, 11x14in, regular or deluxe?  I own a few.

Alien collection

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #194 on: February 19, 2017, 11:29:41 PM »
Two years later, Brooke Shields did Blue Lagoon, the first time I ever looked at a girl.  I had the French poster in my bedroom, even though I didn't care about posters.  It's the first poster I remember owning.  I probably drew on it to cover Christopher Atkins' face (I can't believe I even remember his name.)  Then a year later, Endless Love, and I truly fell in love...  OMG, the CU of her face when she's carrying the books... kill me now.

T

Brooke was a bit young for me, but I remember how beautiful and innocent she was in Blue lagoon. My teen years in the 60s were spent watching slightly older women than I - Debra Paget in those old gladiator movies late at night, and then Raquel Welch as a half-naked cave-woman, and the best devil a guy could ask for in Bedazzled. I was one of the few who didn't have a poster of Farrah on my wall. To me, she just wasn't quite "exotic" enough, and with little exposure to foreign films back then, Bardot was off my radar. But - I just watched le femme Nikita for the first time this weekend - and, well move over Nicole, I think I'm in love.

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #195 on: February 19, 2017, 11:32:38 PM »
I don't know if it will help, but you can always check some of the jpgs on my site since I don't know which Aliens set you're talking about.  8x10in, 11x14in, regular or deluxe?  I own a few.

Alien collection

T

I'll take a look. Mine is the 11x14 8-card US 1986 release. Didn't know there was a deluxe set.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #196 on: February 19, 2017, 11:34:57 PM »
I'll take a look. Mine is the 11x14 8-card US 1986 release. Didn't know there was a deluxe set.

You should check my website more often.  ;)

T
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #197 on: February 19, 2017, 11:45:30 PM »
But - I just watched le femme Nikita for the first time this weekend - and, well move over Nicole, I think I'm in love.

If you like Anne Parillaud, here she is in 1983. 

She was discovered by Alain Delon and ended up dating Luc Besson for years.  For some reasons beyond my comprehension, her 1983 naked body ended up on the Czech poster of 1990 Almodóvar's ˇÁtame! (Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!) even though she has nothing to do with the movie.  But it is her alright.  The picture is from a 1983 article in the French magazine Lui.  I don't want to clutter your thread, so you can see a bigger picture of the poster on my site.

T

« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 11:47:36 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #198 on: February 19, 2017, 11:50:58 PM »
You should check my website more often.  ;)

T

Well, I would, but it just reminds me that I'll be dead before I could ever hope to approach the quantity and quality of your collection.  notworthy.gif

Anyway, I checked your site, and my set is almost certainly fake. All my cards have been cropped about 1/16" closer on the left side and much of the specular highlight detail is completely missing. Why isn't this guy in jail?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #199 on: February 19, 2017, 11:58:57 PM »
Well, I would, but it just reminds me that I'll be dead before I could ever hope to approach the quantity and quality of your collection.  notworthy.gif

Don't say that.  I started collecting in 2000-2001.  Give yourself 10 years and you'll be there too.

And regarding Loce, I have no idea.  How does this guy still sell on Ebay is beyond me.  Is there really no way to kick the crooks out?  There must be something we can do as a community.

T
My Personal Collection