Author Topic: May 2016  (Read 36212 times)

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
Re: May 2016
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2016, 03:02:05 PM »
Many thanks Tob, Mark and Erik. I realise they won't be to many peoples taste but in terms of my larger Tim Burton collection they're quite special.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2016, 03:04:30 PM »
I watched several of the clips in this link. The film looks like a real trip!

http://www.slashfilm.com/alice-through-the-looking-glass-trailer-clips/

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2016, 03:17:27 PM »
Many thanks Tob, Mark and Erik. I realise they won't be to many peoples taste but in terms of my larger Tim Burton collection they're quite special.

Many congratulations.  It is a treat.

I didnt realise you collect Tim Burton's  posters. You should create your own thread! :)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 03:17:46 PM by Mirosae »

Offline wormie

• Hobbyist
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2016, 05:55:05 PM »
My batch from Japan.
Spirit B1

1941 B1

2046 B1

And some B2s for some Pixar and Disney. Hopefully just placeholders for B1s along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chengbo

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2016, 08:54:35 PM »
1941 B1

I love the 1941 poster.  What an amazingly creative way to promote Spielberg through the last 2 movies he had directed, Jaws and CE3K.  Great.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2016, 09:00:03 PM »
Spirit B1

And Spirit, well, that movie will always be close to my heart since it is the reason I met my wife.  I was working for Katzenberg at the time, and my wife, who was a 23 year old artist at DreamWorks and had just finished working on Spirit, came to my building to see if her name had made the credits.  It was a big deal because artists hated going to the "suits" building, and especially not to Katzenberg's department.  A little scary to them.  She asked the first person she met, and that was me.

And the rest, as they say, blah blah blah.

And yes, her name was on the credits.

;)

T
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 09:02:47 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Mirosae

« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2016, 03:53:33 AM »
And Spirit, well, that movie will always be close to my heart since it is the reason I met my wife.  I was working for Katzenberg at the time, and my wife, who was a 23 year old artist at DreamWorks and had just finished working on Spirit, came to my building to see if her name had made the credits.  It was a big deal because artists hated going to the "suits" building, and especially not to Katzenberg's department.  A little scary to them.  She asked the first person she met, and that was me.

;)

T

WHAT a lovely  story T.

And lovely poster too Wormie

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2016, 10:37:10 AM »
Thanks for the additional information, T.! Helpful for sure.

Yes, you should always make sure your Belgians have the white border at the top (size is around 14x21in), otherwise it means they have been cut, which a lot of people do to make them look cleaner, get rid of the handwriting, but what you really get is 1/2 of a poster.  I own a few Belgians myself and made that mistake early on.  After that, make sure it says Imprimé en Belgique at the bottom and not Printed in Belgium, which is the easiest way to spot a fake.  And check the printers, they are pretty much always the same.  Panneels, Lichtert, Verstegen and Edicolor are the main ones.

T

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2016, 10:53:33 AM »
I should have kept reading the thread... another killer story related to films and posters, seems you're full of them. Does the misses still work in the film industry? If yes, any recent titles she's leant a hand on?

;)

T

Offline stripemakers

• Hobbyist
    • POST-SOC - Movie Posters from behind the Iron Curtain
« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2016, 10:55:35 AM »
I love how obscure this one is. Stallone 2 times! Its the Soviet poster for First Blood, but i guess you already found it out...

POST-SOC.com  - Movie Posters from behind the Iron Curtain

POST-SOC on Facebook - Latest additions to my collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2016, 11:50:42 AM »
I like the style of the title font, too, on this one, stripemakers. It almost looks like it's glistening.

-Jeff

Offline stripemakers

• Hobbyist
    • POST-SOC - Movie Posters from behind the Iron Curtain
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2016, 12:32:35 PM »
I like the style of the title font, too, on this one, stripemakers. It almost looks like it's glistening.

It  looks like it's glistening, because it is :D

POST-SOC.com  - Movie Posters from behind the Iron Curtain

POST-SOC on Facebook - Latest additions to my collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2016, 03:16:24 PM »

thumbup

-Jeff

guest4805

« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2016, 11:50:41 PM »
Some good looking hauls so far this month!

Team Weapon: I'm unfamiliar with most of those titles, but I dig most all the art. That 'Venere Indiana' is wicked.

Jeff: Another killer poster out of Poland, interested to find out what the film is about.

Paul: I dropped you a PM about your quad contact. I've got a soft spot in my heart for Mia Wasikowska, might try and pick up one of those 'ATTLG'

Here are a few that arrived today....

Nightmare on Elm Street (German A1)

Tales From The Darkside (German A1)

007: James Bond (Dutch '99 commercial poster)  I strayed a bit on this one. I'm not a huge Bond fan, but have always enjoyed the films, and this commercial poster struck me as simple, but totally 'Bond-like.'

The Shining (Aust. daybill)

Great posters! I really like the Nightmare on Elm Street and Tales from the Darkside posters.

guest4805

« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2016, 11:53:12 PM »
actually picked up a few bits & bobs!
although i am putting these B2s up a bit late but only got round to taking the pics over the weekend.

Nice posters! I really like the shark poster.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2016, 04:39:00 AM »
Spanish OS Cannibal Ferox/Eaten Alive (etc)

Some items for Enzo and Fabio to sign for me The Big Racket/Il grande racket (1976) Spanish OS and Lobby card set

rebuy after a reluctant sell a year or so ago...

A Town called bastard Italian 2F

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Damomac

• Hobbyist
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2016, 04:49:53 AM »
hi everyone i am new to the forum and poster collecting in general. I am going to kick off collecting tarantino posters. My first one D/S Quad for the hateful 8 cost me a $100 but i think it will be a good investment (hopefully)
- Damo (An Aussie Movie Poster Lover)

Mirosae

« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2016, 07:40:25 AM »
hi everyone i am new to the forum and poster collecting in general. I am going to kick off collecting tarantino posters. My first one D/S Quad for the hateful 8 cost me a $100 but i think it will be a good investment (hopefully)

Congratulations and welcome. Anything  from a Tarantino film is a winner in my book. And this one is great!

No idea about the price, I  don't  collect modern posters but I'll say this: it is yours  now, you paid whatever you felt it was worth so ..enjoy it!!! We all found bargains and we all have overpaid at some point

.. the important thing is to learn & enjoy it thumbsup.gif

« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 07:41:32 AM by Mirosae »

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2016, 08:01:01 AM »

That's a great first poster and the landscape format works well. Welcome to the forum but do remember that collecting movie posters should not be seen as an investment. If you get some bargains along the way that's fine but as Rosa said you WILL on occasion overpay as well, whether you know about it or not.

Mark

Offline Damomac

• Hobbyist
« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2016, 08:44:35 AM »
thanks and good advice, looking forward to learning and collecting. - i love the artwork on this one, really well done by the artist sums up the movie really well
- Damo (An Aussie Movie Poster Lover)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2016, 10:45:16 AM »

Welcome.  You're in good company, I think there are a few people on this forum who collect Tarantino.  He is definitely one of the few true originals to emerge from the last quarter century and worth collecting.  And the poster you got is a worthy #1.  Enjoy.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2016, 11:10:24 AM »
I found out by chance it was the 'Alice Through the Looking Glass' European Premiere last night in London. I knew that they print up posters specifically for the event and this is a title of interest to me.I decided to go early while they were setting up and got chatting to one of the guys working there. To my delight they had various posters awaiting to be attached to the barriers so I asked if I could have some. He asked his boss and got a one word answer 'No!' He said. There was a set of 6 posters. Last time there was 6 from a previous Premiere I managed to get 2 and, being a completist, was very disappointed.

I know how difficult it is to get these posters. There are huge crowds and everyone wants a souvenir. I had to leave to pick my kids up and returned a lot later when the Premier was in full swing. Things didn't look good as it was so busy. To make a long story slightly shorter, through desperation, determination and luck I managed to get a full set. I know the artwork isn't amazing, but for me it's the fact that they were used at the Premiere and only available on this one night. There were 50 of each design printed and I was told they were all used on the night. They're 40"x60" and very heavy. A real struggle to get them home but for me, well worth it!

Well done for getting those Matt, I love your passion for all things Burton.. 
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2016, 11:11:59 AM »

A first rate start to collecting, I'm looking forward to seeing your next purchases...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2016, 12:00:09 PM »

welcome1, to the poster party, Damonac and congrats on snagging your first poster. I also like the landscape format.   thumbsup.gif

Buy what you like, like what you buy and know it also never hurts to look around, cross check and sherlock a bit, especially when a poster is available from more than one source. It's what makes it all fun!

-Jeff

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #99 on: May 17, 2016, 11:53:39 AM »
Great stuff as always everyone, keep it up!

Welcome aboard Damomac! Love the Hateful quad, great start.

A number of this months pieces that I am not supposed to be buying have arrived and am kind of phsyched with these two.

Both my first Japanese B0 and first Easy Rider all rolled into One.

I am a huge Muppet fan from when I was growing up watching their show on TV so this one holds a special place for me. A big thanks to the great and powerful Harry Caul, thank you for pointing me to this, it's in a frame and on a wall already.  Polish Muppet Movie poster.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 11:56:41 AM by Undead »
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!