Author Topic: May 2016  (Read 35741 times)

Offline Aiden

• Beginner
May 2016
« on: April 29, 2016, 04:22:49 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline teamweapon

• Collector
Re: May 2016
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 10:30:27 AM »
actually picked up a few bits & bobs!
although i am putting these B2s up a bit late but only got round to taking the pics over the weekend.
does anyone know much about japanese artists? would like to know who did the art on shark?

it looks like Masu Kawa??? but who knows?

VERY pleased with this!!! although it was in worse shape than the guy said it was, the colour of the paper is quite light. usually these are really quite brown!

bit of a cheeky number!

and this was in much better condition than advertised! he stated it was folded, when in fact it was rolled! lovely art on this although not really one of the better alice movies out there.
I don't know much, but i do know what my eyes are telling me!
Sean

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 12:52:22 PM »
Another eclectic and interesting mix there, TW.

And the Conspirators of Pleasure B2, with that rooster head dead center on it... that's an eye grabber, too!

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 01:11:18 PM »
Team's on a roll again, quite a cast in that Alice Quad, I've never seen that film version, may have to give it a viewing.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 01:11:45 PM by paul waines »
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 02:09:05 PM »
Team's on a roll again, quite a cast in that Alice Quad, I've never seen that film version, may have to give it a viewing.

And Flora Robson, I bet, makes a GREAT Queen of Hearts! She was a fantastic actress.  clap clap clap

-Jeff

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 05:58:03 PM »
The Svankmajer rules!
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline teamweapon

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 06:43:37 PM »

thanks y'all!
yeah as i say not one of the better alice movies.
i think i have seen more versions of alice than any other tale? im guessing at least 20-30? i quite liked the sylvia kristel version and black moon too, amongst others.
Sean

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 09:34:14 AM »
Congrats again.

Just a suggestion, but you might think about starting a thread in the 'Show Us Your Collection' category. That way, you can post you new posters to your own thread and not have to go through starting a new thread everytime. Just an idea....

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 11:44:20 AM »
Congrats again.

Just a suggestion, but you might think about starting a thread in the 'Show Us Your Collection' category. That way, you can post you new posters to your own thread and not have to go through starting a new thread everytime. Just an idea....

Right!  Also you can always post in the current month of latest acquisitions.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 01:09:50 PM »
Some recent titles...

Bit disappointed in this...

If anyone wants one of these Quads, do PM me the guy I know has a few to sell on...

It's more than a Hobby...

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 03:11:15 PM »

This one for Shark! (1969) is pretty good.   cool1

I had never heard about the movie.  A brief search shows that it's a fairly obscure title.  Here's a crazy factoid about it: The history of Shark!, unfortunate in more ways than one since a Mexican stuntman, Jose Marco, was killed by a renegade white shark that broke through a protective net during filming, is a sad one. Not only was the project taken out of the director’s hands, withheld from release for several years (despite a four-page spread in Life magazine, June 7, 1968, at the time of the stuntman’s death), and finally schlepped out for a quiet, almost anonymous six-day run on the bottom half of a 42nd Street motorcycle bill, but the finished product is a distortion of its director’s original film... From here

Stunning imagery there for Venere Indiana aka Naked in the Sun.  

Cool tagline, and poster, but kinda surprising that they didn't feature Ms. Robbie in the design.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 03:23:22 PM by Neo »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 04:21:41 PM »
Had this arrive today.

A Polish OS for the movie, Śmierć Johna L. [The Death of John L.] (1987)

Art by Andrzej Pagowski

I dont know the movie, but love the vivid colors and quirky art. It makes me want to check it out.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 01:02:18 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline teamweapon

• Collector
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 06:44:44 PM »

I had never heard about the movie.  A brief search shows that it's a fairly obscure title.  Here's a crazy factoid about it: The history of Shark!, unfortunate in more ways than one since a Mexican stuntman, Jose Marco, was killed by a renegade white shark that broke through a protective net during filming, is a sad one. Not only was the project taken out of the director’s hands, withheld from release for several years (despite a four-page spread in Life magazine, June 7, 1968, at the time of the stuntman’s death), and finally schlepped out for a quiet, almost anonymous six-day run on the bottom half of a 42nd Street motorcycle bill, but the finished product is a distortion of its director’s original film... From here

Stunning imagery there for Venere Indiana aka Naked in the Sun.  

Cool tagline, and poster, but kinda surprising that they didn't feature Ms. Robbie in the design.

sstrangely enough i have another poster for shark as well, an italian that is MUCH more graphic as its a photo of a frog man with his leg bitten off!!

yeah i really like the tarzan poster too, as it dosnt suffer the same fate as 99% of quads and have ***** and retarded quotes all over it :)
alice just plain sucks though! what a shame, the last tryptich set were great .
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 06:45:51 PM by teamweapon »
Sean

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 07:52:00 PM »
Had this arrive today.

Interesting.  Would be perfect for The Wall (the movie that is, not Trump's.  Although it could be used to express how the Mexicans feel about it).

T

« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 07:53:02 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 09:18:50 PM »

Some good looking hauls so far this month!

Team Weapon: I'm unfamiliar with most of those titles, but I dig most all the art. That 'Venere Indiana' is wicked.

Jeff: Another killer poster out of Poland, interested to find out what the film is about.

Paul: I dropped you a PM about your quad contact. I've got a soft spot in my heart for Mia Wasikowska, might try and pick up one of those 'ATTLG'

Here are a few that arrived today....

Nightmare on Elm Street (German A1)

Tales From The Darkside (German A1)

007: James Bond (Dutch '99 commercial poster)  I strayed a bit on this one. I'm not a huge Bond fan, but have always enjoyed the films, and this commercial poster struck me as simple, but totally 'Bond-like.'

The Shining (Aust. daybill)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2016, 12:42:08 AM »
Chris, I really like the GER Tales From the Dark Side and NOES pieces, especially with the redone art on the NOES poster.  thumbsup.gif

Any idea who either artist is?

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2016, 12:49:59 AM »
This was at the door tonight. A never folded, US insert for the William Castle flicker, The Night Walker (1965), with art by Reynold Brown. I've always liked this artwork, and Barbara Stanwyck is a huge favorite of mine. Plus, the text at the top, with the 6, stated "claims", works well.

It could use a little bleach bath, but what is interesting is that the brown marks on the top and bottom areas are not tape residue. I thought it might be, but once in hand, it looks to be areas of darkening like can happen from heat or maybe "acid burn" from something that was in contact with the front of the insert. There are no corresponding marks on the back, so it's a bit of a mystery as to what caused them. The paper is all in tact and there is nothing (texture) on the paper's surface, either.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 12:53:09 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2016, 02:11:34 AM »
Film Armada: Nice ones, I especially like the tag line on the Shining "The Tide of Terror..."

Jeff: Cool Gargoyle.  Thanks.  Now I won't be able to sleep tonight... ;)

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2016, 02:19:01 AM »
Got these yesterday,  Battles without Honor and Humanity (Retrospective festival) and Modern Yakuza: Law of the Shameless, both images are of Bunta Sugawara (aka..Mr. Yakuza)

Mirosae

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2016, 02:44:19 AM »
Congratulations Hicks 77 I am a huge fan of Yakuza films. And i really like these two examples!

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2016, 10:59:50 AM »
Congratulations Hicks 77 I am a huge fan of Yakuza films. And i really like these two examples!
Thanks so much Mirosae  :D, I've watched Bw/oHH but haven't seen the Modern Yakuza one.  It was a bit of a "battle" to get the Battles one but the Modern Yakuza was just sitting there, so I lucked out  ;D

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2016, 01:19:48 PM »

Cool info there, Brandon, about Shark. I've never heard of it, either. I wonder what Burt Reynolds has/had to say about it and the filming experience?

I also did a quick look online and there are a couple on youtube that shows a shark attack from the flicker, but I then read on this site (http://www.thelightningbugslair.com/2010/06/shark-1969-sam-fuller-swims-in-troubled.html) that the footage used in the film was not the death of the stuntman, but another shark attack that was shot for the movie:

"There was also the matter of the shark attack. A stuntman was killed during the filming of Shark due to an actual attack by the titular creature. When the movie was released, the producers marketed the film as containing the actual footage of the man being killed by a shark. The director, Sam Fuller, was outraged and railed against the producers for such a cheap and disrespectful gimmick.

While the film does contain one brutal looking shark attack, apparently it was all just a scheme to gain some notoriety. In fact, the film does not contain the footage in question though the producers did slap a dedication on the beginning of the film to all the brave stunt men who worked in the shark-infested waters."

Since there are always variations (publicity) of what some say was used in the movie, it makes it even more interesting and curious to try and uncover.  Spying.gif

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2016, 02:09:51 PM »
Thanks so much Mirosae  :D, I've watched Bw/oHH but haven't seen the Modern Yakuza one.  It was a bit of a "battle" to get the Battles one but the Modern Yakuza was just sitting there, so I lucked out  ;D

Hi, I havent seen Modern Yakuza either. Not sure if you are a fan of film books, I have several, but  one of the best out there is "YAKUZA MOVIE BOOK " BY MARK SCHILLING. If you like this genre worth checking as it shows you the posters too!!

Thank you for sharing your posters Hicks :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 02:10:15 PM by Mirosae »

Offline teamweapon

• Collector
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2016, 03:09:37 PM »
Cool info there, Brandon, about Shark. I've never heard of it, either. I wonder what Burt Reynolds has/had to say about it and the filming experience?

I also did a quick look online and there are a couple on youtube that shows a shark attack from the flicker, but I then read on this site (http://www.thelightningbugslair.com/2010/06/shark-1969-sam-fuller-swims-in-troubled.html) that the footage used in the film was not the death of the stuntman, but another shark attack that was shot for the movie:

"There was also the matter of the shark attack. A stuntman was killed during the filming of Shark due to an actual attack by the titular creature. When the movie was released, the producers marketed the film as containing the actual footage of the man being killed by a shark. The director, Sam Fuller, was outraged and railed against the producers for such a cheap and disrespectful gimmick.

While the film does contain one brutal looking shark attack, apparently it was all just a scheme to gain some notoriety. In fact, the film does not contain the footage in question though the producers did slap a dedication on the beginning of the film to all the brave stunt men who worked in the shark-infested waters."

Since there are always variations (publicity) of what some say was used in the movie, it makes it even more interesting and curious to try and uncover.  Spying.gif

i think we may be talking at cross purposes here.
the poster i just got does not have burt reynolds in it. it's an obscure Italian documentary i think you could "loosely" include into the mondo cycle of movies.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0214258/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

but i would still love to know who the artist was.... ANYONE????? does anyone know of any resources for finding japanese artists?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 03:11:04 PM by teamweapon »
Sean

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2016, 03:12:00 PM »
Thanks, TW.

I was going on and following up on Neo's info, so thanks for the update and correction. I see the Japan-english title is Sharks and Men.

It's a cool poster. I hope you can figure out who did the art, too.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 03:14:41 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff