Author Topic: May 2016  (Read 35736 times)

Offline bigmike

• Collector
Re: May 2016
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2016, 06:40:02 PM »
I ddint notice at first that the Freaks poster was backed, Mike. Looks like a Japanese poster? If so, is it a B2 size?

Yes B2 size

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2016, 07:14:10 PM »
cheers

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2016, 02:07:09 AM »
Cool info there, Brandon, about Shark. I've never heard of it, either. I wonder what Burt Reynolds has/had to say about it and the filming experience?

I also did a quick look online and there are a couple on youtube that shows a shark attack from the flicker, but I then read on this site (http://www.thelightningbugslair.com/2010/06/shark-1969-sam-fuller-swims-in-troubled.html) that the footage used in the film was not the death of the stuntman, but another shark attack that was shot for the movie:

"There was also the matter of the shark attack. A stuntman was killed during the filming of Shark due to an actual attack by the titular creature. When the movie was released, the producers marketed the film as containing the actual footage of the man being killed by a shark. The director, Sam Fuller, was outraged and railed against the producers for such a cheap and disrespectful gimmick.

While the film does contain one brutal looking shark attack, apparently it was all just a scheme to gain some notoriety. In fact, the film does not contain the footage in question though the producers did slap a dedication on the beginning of the film to all the brave stunt men who worked in the shark-infested waters."

Since there are always variations (publicity) of what some say was used in the movie, it makes it even more interesting and curious to try and uncover.  Spying.gif

That is very interesting.  So much drama with the behind the scenes stuff.  Wow.

i think we may be talking at cross purposes here.
the poster i just got does not have burt reynolds in it. it's an obscure Italian documentary i think you could "loosely" include into the mondo cycle of movies.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0214258/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

but i would still love to know who the artist was.... ANYONE????? does anyone know of any resources for finding japanese artists?

Oh zoinks.  They put the tagline "Shark!" in large, bold letters, as most would do with the title.  And, of course, there's actually a film named "Shark!" with the exclamation point.  Who's bright idea was that?  Lawl

A little confusing, but thanks for the clarification, TW.

Here's a great writeup about Sharks and Men:
http://www.filmonpaper.com/posters/sharks-men-b2-japan/

Offline m154cath

• Hobbyist
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2016, 02:38:00 AM »
Hi rosa - I think they r both Park Circus re-releases - I did manage to get 2 of some of the nicer re-releases with the intention of future framing. My favourites out of the bunch would be
With nail & I - fantastic film to watch after a few beers
Deer Hunter - purple version - a more limited print on thicker paper & looks stunning
Some like it Hot - certainly an improvement on previous re-release
Out of the "older" stuff , Contraband Spain is easily my fav - the picture just doesn't do it justice , closely followed my Ice Station Zebra which took an age to find at a reasonable price
Next up I'll post some new framed  & few foreign posters!

Offline Aiden

• Beginner
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2016, 08:51:36 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mirosae

« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2016, 09:32:32 AM »
You are on a roll Aiden!! Your enthusiasm is very contagious  :)

Mirosae

« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2016, 09:44:51 AM »
Hi rosa - I think they r both Park Circus re-releases - I did manage to get 2 of some of the nicer re-releases with the intention of future framing. My favourites out of the bunch would be
With nail & I - fantastic film to watch after a few beers
Deer Hunter - purple version - a more limited print on thicker paper & looks stunning
Some like it Hot - certainly an improvement on previous re-release
Out of the "older" stuff , Contraband Spain is easily my fav - the picture just doesn't do it justice , closely followed my Ice Station Zebra which took an age to find at a reasonable price
Next up I'll post some new framed  & few foreign posters!

Thank you! I've never seen Contraband Spain. Might as well check it out. Yes   With nail & I is a cracker!

Great posters & films. Keep sharing  :)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 09:45:07 AM by Mirosae »

Mirosae

« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2016, 09:47:07 AM »
Yes, this is a commercial, but couldn't resist it being a Big fan of Sharon's.

I'll get this framed for my Poster room.

I never understood her appeal.

I do now!

Offline Aiden

• Beginner
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2016, 09:59:48 AM »
You are on a roll Aiden!! Your enthusiasm is very contagious  :)
Hehe thanks...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2016, 11:09:52 AM »
Watch Dance of the Vampires, Rosa. You may get a bit more...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2016, 12:43:57 PM »
I just happened to have these queued up on Instagram today :)

One more teaser in a few hours and the full poster to follow tonight... probably my favorite Sharon Tate poster!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2016, 01:35:14 PM »

That is very interesting.  So much drama with the behind the scenes stuff.  Wow.

Oh zoinks.  They put the tagline "Shark!" in large, bold letters, as most would do with the title.  And, of course, there's actually a film named "Shark!" with the exclamation point.  Who's bright idea was that?  Lawl

It's what make the hobby and inner, interlocking factoids all so interesting.  cool1

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2016, 01:52:36 PM »
actually picked up a few bits & bobs!
although i am putting these B2s up a bit late but only got round to taking the pics over the weekend.
does anyone know much about japanese artists? would like to know who did the art on shark?

it looks like Masu Kawa??? but who knows?

Hey TW,

You nailed the artist's name!  thumbsup.gif

I poked around and found that his full name is Susumu Masukawa.

-Jeff

Offline teamweapon

• Collector
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2016, 06:01:31 PM »

thanks for that, but i have the movie. and ............. it isnt very good haha. saying that i havent seen it for at least 15 years.
pity FOP dosnt know who the artist is either :( i cant seem to find any list on japanese artists. you would think with all the knowledge on here there would at least be a slender list at least?
i dont even have that many japanese posters to be honest.
I don't know much, but i do know what my eyes are telling me!
Sean

Offline Aiden

• Beginner
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2016, 03:57:43 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2016, 12:04:46 PM »
Looks like the roll-ins are continuing, Aiden! Good job.

-Jeff

Offline teamweapon

• Collector
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2016, 07:23:16 PM »
Hey TW,

You nailed the artist's name!  thumbsup.gif

I poked around and found that his full name is Susumu Masukawa.

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!!!!
thanks a lot for the info man :) appreciated.
can i ask where you found it?
I don't know much, but i do know what my eyes are telling me!
Sean

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2016, 07:52:16 PM »

A few more for me this month... These are both Belgian's. They both have a considerable amount of space above the artwork, I'm guessing this was for engagement dates/times similar to WCs? Regardless, I've always liked the alternate Friday the 13th artwork displayed here, and Chinatown is probably my favorite Drama of all time, so when I found these on the Bay for a reasonable price together I jumped on them.

Friday the 13th (Belgian)

Chinatown (Belgian)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2016, 08:02:21 PM »
Nice score, Chris.

Chinatown is such a great movie and the Jim Pearsall art is super fantastic!  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2016, 11:45:45 PM »
A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!!!!
thanks a lot for the info man :) appreciated.
can i ask where you found it?

Happy to help, TW.  ;)

I just did some searches online, using the last name you thought it was as the starting point, then went from there. The "Sherlocking" is one part of this hobby that I also really enjoy. It can be like uncovering undiscovered tidbits, at times.  sherlockholmes.gif
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 11:59:25 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2016, 12:11:48 AM »
A few more for me this month... These are both Belgian's. They both have a considerable amount of space above the artwork, I'm guessing this was for engagement dates/times similar to WCs?

Yes, you should always make sure your Belgians have the white border at the top (size is around 14x21in), otherwise it means they have been cut, which a lot of people do to make them look cleaner, get rid of the handwriting, but what you really get is 1/2 of a poster.  I own a few Belgians myself and made that mistake early on.  After that, make sure it says Imprimé en Belgique at the bottom and not Printed in Belgium, which is the easiest way to spot a fake.  And check the printers, they are pretty much always the same.  Panneels, Lichtert, Verstegen and Edicolor are the main ones.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2016, 05:31:27 AM »
I found out by chance it was the 'Alice Through the Looking Glass' European Premiere last night in London. I knew that they print up posters specifically for the event and this is a title of interest to me.I decided to go early while they were setting up and got chatting to one of the guys working there. To my delight they had various posters awaiting to be attached to the barriers so I asked if I could have some. He asked his boss and got a one word answer 'No!' He said. There was a set of 6 posters. Last time there was 6 from a previous Premiere I managed to get 2 and, being a completist, was very disappointed.

I know how difficult it is to get these posters. There are huge crowds and everyone wants a souvenir. I had to leave to pick my kids up and returned a lot later when the Premier was in full swing. Things didn't look good as it was so busy. To make a long story slightly shorter, through desperation, determination and luck I managed to get a full set. I know the artwork isn't amazing, but for me it's the fact that they were used at the Premiere and only available on this one night. There were 50 of each design printed and I was told they were all used on the night. They're 40"x60" and very heavy. A real struggle to get them home but for me, well worth it!

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2016, 06:27:13 AM »
They're cool, Skyjackers!

Always pleased for a collector that picks up those rare pieces for their collection, glad the trip and effort was worth it!

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2016, 01:45:03 PM »
....I managed to get a full set.....

I'm really pleased for you Skyjackers - these belong in your Tim Burton collection which by now must be pretty special. "Desperation, determination and luck" - yes, I recognise those requirements!

Mark 

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2016, 02:16:47 PM »
Congrats on getting these, skyjackers. They make a great looking set.

-Jeff