Author Topic: What excites you most: Searching, finding, bidding, waiting or receiving?  (Read 15534 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
For me...

1) Bidding - Sniping in person within 3 seconds of the end of an item can be an adrenaline rush.

2) Waiting - The wait, especially from overseas, can be excruciating.
3) Finding - Finding something you've been looking at a good price is fun.

4) Receiving - Bah, I check the poster, take a picture and file it immediately.
5) Searching - Not fun at all, especially when you can't find what you're looking for.

T
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 10:14:14 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
tits, of course.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
For me I think it's a tie between the search aka "the hunt" and the final few seconds of the auction countdown...
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
Finding something I never knew existed, at this moment I have an example of (pretty much) everything I have seen for my core collection. But every so often something shows up I haven't seen before that fits in.
Saying that, the last couple of years not having a real job, its a double edged sword because the few times it happens I think DAMN! NOT THIS WEEK/MONTH/YEAR!
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Steven11788

the final seconds, though my net has crapped out 3 times before moron1, very  crucial posters, a very pissed steven, the one i regret most in the afterdark horror films, the newest one, with the woman and the snake crawling threw her, damn missed by cents. moron1

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
Everything about it.

I love the moment when I open the package.

Searching I do all day  :P though I do love finding new stuff.

Having that high bid for one I have been wanting is sweet.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
1. Searching
2. Finding
3. Waiting
4. Receiving
5. Bidding

The last two have more negative connotations for me given that I'm always dreading smashed poster tubes and I lose way more auctions than I win. Like CSM, my most exciting time is during the hunt.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
The last two have more negative connotations for me given that I'm always dreading smashed poster tubes and I lose way more auctions than I win.

Waiting for a poster to arrive drives me nuts. I picture the smashed tube or the wrongly represented poster on its way. I have lost almost every auction I have bid on the last two - three months so that is not so much fun either.

Online holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
tits, of course.

awesome.  just awesome.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
I would add:

6. Displaying
7. Re-discovering

I've been going through my posters to select what to hang on my walls, and it's great to hang awesome pieces, and to go "wow I didn't even know I had something like that!"

Offline Ari

• Curator
yes to both of those choices.
An Error Has Occurred!

Threenero

The smell....new or old paper....don't tell me i'm the only one who sniffs the newly opened tube before i pull out the posters  :o

Offline Ari

• Curator
Vintage French has the best perfume.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
The search. 
For me, it's all about the hunt.

Steven11788

I would add:

6. Displaying
7. Re-discovering

I've been going through my posters to select what to hang on my walls, and it's great to hang awesome pieces, and to go "wow I didn't even know I had something like that!"

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!, going back and looking at your collection, going dang i cant believe i am blessed i have these. love also hanging though, moving back home i am not "putting holes" in the wall, so i display my cheaper posters, with acid backing and a wallyworld frame

Offline Ari

• Curator
WTF .. wallyworld?
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
WTF .. wallyworld?

27x40 Wal-Mart frames: $14.99.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
1,  Tit's
2,  The Hunt
3,  Receiving

All in that order

Lately I just put what I want to pay on something, and leave it. I'm not so bothered if I win or lose.
I will bid big if I really want it, but space is becoming an issue again....
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Hallucination Generation

• Collector
Receiving  ;)

But with posters I actually hate receiving poster tubes.
It fills me with dread as i open them, as i get to see if they have packed it right or if they have just stuffed it in a tube.
Even though after every purchase i beg them to pack it correctly.

...and tit's.

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
I agree with the dread of receiving. For a while every single thing I bought was damaged due to inept packing (often even before it reached the mail, e.g. seller rolling a folded poster and putting in a tight tube). I basically stopped buying posters for a while because it was so heart breaking to see so much paper destroyed, even though I got the money back for most of them.

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
Has to be the finding.
I'm pretty tired of searching for the last 4 Japanese lobbies I need for King Kong vs. Godzilla (and Rodan), and when I find them bidding won't really matter as it will just be a matter of when the #2 bidder gets tired. And after so many years of looking, a little bit longer for the waiting to receive will be no big deal.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
The receiving...means it is mine (and remember I am not a condition freak so unless it arrives mangled, I'm not too fussed.
I don't mind the searching, but it annoying and I hate the bidding because I could still miss out...obviously I need deeper pockets ;)
Ves

Posterodyssey

Most of my want list is readily available and not that tough too find.The ones that aren't easy too find, affordability comes into play...that punkass!Once in awhile, when I can afford one of those 'hard too find' posters,then yes,it's an exciting and rewarding feeling.
But mostly,it's going to be the 'Receiving'.Always exciting when the only damage upon opening was the damage described in the description.

Matt

Definitely "Finding". The day I found a "Dam Busters" daybill was the ultimate in adrenalin rush. It's a nothing poster to most but I'd searched for one for five years. The day I saw it a the Bazaar shop I go to now and then was amazing. I drove home with my heart pumping. I'll never forget that day.