Author Topic: What is considered "outing" an auction?  (Read 11894 times)

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
What is considered "outing" an auction?
« on: June 13, 2010, 12:46:26 AM »
Would people here be offended if a new topic is started to let people know about a seller who has hundreds of posters for sale?
Or would it be OK because people would appreciate the fact that they were informed of the seller?
It seems like some people here would be angry moron1 because they would not be getting a "steal", and might have to pay a little more for a poster if they really wanted it  :'(.  But on the other hand, some people would appreciate being told of some cool auctions  :D.  
It is kind of strange that on a forum people "bite their tongues" to not "out" an auction, when many of us are trying to help each other with various things concerning posters, and have a good time  :D.
For the record, I am not trying to "stir the shit".

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: What is considered "outing" an auction?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 12:58:14 AM »
You may not be trying to stir the shit but judging by the other thread that discussed this same issue in detail - shit will be stirred...
Chris

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 01:03:56 AM »
Gentlemen, start your engines.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 01:10:39 AM »
Neo, you already know my position on the issue and as I said specifically that this i sthe only forum I have ever seen a discussion of the issue. The CGC comic forums have 50,000 members.. they all talk about current auctions.

a forum is for free exchange of information

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 01:46:13 AM »
You may not be trying to stir the shit but judging by the other thread that discussed this same issue in detail - shit will be stirred...

Fair enough.  The only difference is, I am referring to a seller with hundreds of auctions, versus one specific auction.

a forum is for free exchange of information

It is a strange thing, to decide whether to help some people by sharing information  :D, and making others mad   >:(  who would rather that information not be shared. 
Or to not help some people by not sharing information  :(, and making others happy  :D  for not sharing the information.
 :-\
  What would Cartman do :D

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 02:28:09 AM »
And that's the cool thing with this forum.  No one will censor a post about an upcoming auction. 
Most of the members don't appreciate an outing (like the poll reflected), especially if they had already found that same item and were waiting to bid/snipe on it.
What I like to do is email Ebay links directly to members.  In fact, the link you sent me earlier I forwarded to a fellow collector who I know wants the poster more than I.
I guess, there are times when we are philanthropists and times we are misers.   ;D

guest8

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 11:53:46 AM »
I think (if the goal is to keep everyone as happy as possible) .. Suggesting a seller in a thread is fine .. But an on-going auction can be a bit different .. If you know someone on here thats looking for a piece thats up for auction shot them a PM .. Or if you dont care if some people get their panties in a wad post it in a thread ..

Although like the post that I think started this whole deal (Mel's $1k+ poster) .. When the poster is on eMovie or one of the well know poster auction sites .. I think its ok then too .. Just about everyone on here trolls those auctions anyways and the number of items on those sites makes it easy enough to look at everything .. now if it was an ebay auction you may be outting something that many people may have missed.. Ebay just has way too many to go through every listing posted .. So IMHO .. pieces that are highly sought after and are sub $1k range on eBay .. Shouldnt have threads until after they end .. If you want to share/help a fellow collector get a piece theyve been looking for .. Shot them a PM ..

Just me $10 worth :D

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 12:01:29 PM »

What would Cartman do :D

Off topic but Parker and Stone are brilliant.  :)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 03:56:16 PM »
If you want to share/help a fellow collector get a piece theyve been looking for .. Shot them a PM ..

Just me $10 worth :D

Zorba, in order for anyone to do that, they would have to know each and every poster each and every member is looking for. I don't think even the individual collector knows this completely, much less the rest of us.
Once again, I'm for the free exchange of information. No holds barred and damn the torpedoes
thankfully Holiday and Thierry agree with this position

Look.. we shouldn't be "pissy pants" if something we were going to bid on is talked about.. That's the way that it is. There is a much more robust chat about what IS going on than what WAS going on.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 04:18:33 PM »
Um Rich?...That wasnt me but  cheers anyway.

guest8

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 04:29:28 PM »
Yeah Zorba ;) .. What a douche thing to say !! :P

Oh and as far as knowing what every collector wants .. I dont care what every collector wants .. I meant someone I talk to and/or consider a friend .. What do I care if someone that is trolling and never speaks to me knows about a potential deal on a poster ???

Also .. I will add .. if it is the auctioneer or seller posting about a particular auction Id tell everyone to fukk off thats just good advertising on their part .. Even if it was a poster I wanted and I was expecting to get it dirt cheap Id never get mad at a seller promoting one of their own items ..

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 04:51:20 PM »
oops.. sorry Zorba

FA.. why should you get mad at anyone?? If this is a forum, why should anyone get angry because someone has shared information?

again: a forum is a place for FREE EXCHANGE OF INFORMATION
also again: THIS IS THE ONLY FORUM I HAVE EVER SEEN WHERE THERE IS EVEN A DISCUSSION OF THE ISSUE

of course, even the question is something of a cannard.. It happens so little that you have to wonder what the fear factor is. But what makes it so serious??
That I might have to pay $200 instead of $100?
That I might not win it? who says you would have won it in any case? is it a guarantee that by talking about it you will indeed lose out? how does anyone know the true answer to such vagaries?

Like Ari has said so many times I think he has it asa c ut and paste text somewhere - none of this stuff is life-changing. You don't need to have it. You can't eat it, you can't drink it.

However it is (with older paper) the correct consistency for use as toiler paper and that's what 98% of the population thinks it is anyway. what do youthink a $7.00 an hour McD's employee would think of spending $500 on a Star Wars poster? he would think we're all retarded. You need to be able to look at this stuff in an objective fashion, not subjectively. Think about the other guy, not just yourselves.

-------

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 05:23:28 PM »
I meant someone I talk to and/or consider a friend .. What do I care if someone that is trolling and never speaks to me knows about a potential deal on a poster ???

You are not the only one on this forum, Fallen  ;).  Sorry I'm not kewl enough to be your friend   :(.  

Brude and Rich had some good points.  We don't need these things to survive, and we are trying to help our fellow brethren at times and other times we are trying to help ourselves.  Maybe I wanted to tell APF about hundreds of auctions that I wish someone had told me about a few days ago, but I didn't want people to get their panties in a wad over it.  

Or if you dont care if some people get their panties in a wad post it in a thread ..

That is probably the best answer to the main question of the thread  :D.  Good job Fallen  :D!  Am I kewl enough to be your friend now  :D?

guest8

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 06:31:16 PM »
Rich-
Sorry, when I say mad .. I dont mean like totally livid wanting to punch a person in the face mad .. I guess I need to be a little more clear .. Itll be like a WTF?!? GD I hate that!! moment .. But it will pass .. If Mel posted a poster I was watching .. Id prolly post up something like "thanks a lot ya big jerk!" But would i really be upset with him and hold a grudge? probably not .. Its all momentary .. everything passes.. Because as youve stated its really not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things ..

Loco-
LOL .. I never said you werent kewl enough .. I consider anyone that I exchange comments with here a friend .. No one on here has done anything to me to make me dislike them .. Even Mel (whom I think I have pissed off at times) is my bud! :)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2010, 06:42:09 PM »
well I didn't think you wanted to crush someone's skull and while I can appreciate the WTF, GD

my perspective is obviously more along teh lines of "okay.. now that everyone knows, let me reconsider my options and/or potential bidding strategy.

But honestly, I know it's because my "emotional" collecting days are long over though I will admit when I was younger (alot younger) I did have some of that WTF, GD. I'm just more pragmatic about it at my age now (and actually have been for some 20 years worth) and am more likely to say "oh well, no big deal". My cup is half full, not half empty and the joy of that half cup is plenty.

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2010, 10:06:48 PM »
Even Mel (whom I think I have pissed off at times) is my bud! :)

Yeah well, we won't be "buds" once I kick your @ss on one of the pending Emovie Thursday auctions.  Don't think I haven't seen it, chump!

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2010, 10:25:06 PM »
Yeah well, we won't be "buds" once I kick your @ss on one of the pending Emovie Thursday auctions.  Don't think I haven't seen it, chump!

Which one Mel?...I wont bid on it. Really, I just wanna watch  ;) 8)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2010, 10:31:52 PM »
Which one Mel?...I wont bid on it. Really, I just wanna watch  ;) 8)

You have been given a clue, my friend.  You just missed it.  And Fallen will spot it fer sure....

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2010, 10:38:56 PM »
You have been given a clue, my friend.  You just missed it.  And Fallen will spot it fer sure....

Clouseau is on the case bud.  8)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2010, 10:46:36 PM »
Clouseau is on the case bud.  8)

"It won't be easy, that is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."  (Pink Panther Strikes Again)

guest8

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2010, 06:39:38 AM »
Who you callin' a chump, chimp?? LOL ... Honestly I havent even bid on anything yet .. Scarily the Thur auctions are the 1st Ive been watching at all since the spring mini/majors .. Ive been saving up and worrying about the new house .. so Ive tried to stay away from the auction site .. I dont know if I ever know your bidding user name on Em either .. I would steer clear of bidding wars with anyone I knew .. UNLESS it was a piece I really really wanted .. Its easy to spot me though I have the same SN as here .. :)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2010, 08:44:44 AM »
Ive been saving up and worrying about the new house

Why would you do something sensible like that when you could give your money to the crack poster dealers?

guest8

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2010, 09:12:11 AM »
LOL .. I wasnt sensible enough to buy when they still had that $8k tax credit though ! :P If I had done that I coulda supported some crack head poster dealers with all my savings ... Or that would have been a nice digital projector in my HT room !! :( 

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2010, 07:34:15 PM »
LOL .. I wasnt sensible enough to buy when they still had that $8k tax credit though ! :P If I had done that I coulda supported some crack head poster dealers with all my savings ... Or that would have been a nice digital projector in my HT room !! :(  

And somewhat off topic, you should read "The Big Short" about the guys who predicted and made bazillions of dollars shorting the sub-prime mortgage catastrophe.  We'd all be filthy rich if we'd done that.

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2010, 11:13:46 PM »
So this is what I was wanting - and won for $50 tonight on Emovie.  Pretty expensive for a commercial poster but a cool complement to my Kilian mylars - and I doubt anybody else has all three:

You can't go wrong with a Jessica Rabbit poster.  That commercial poster is nice, especially the picture of her from that angle.  "I hate to see her go, but I love to watch her leave."

When I first got into collecting posters, I saw the Kilian style E on emovie's image gallery, and thought it was cool.  Then I saw the one in the picture on your wall and thought it was a little cooler, and remember reading something on MPF you said something like "it is worth more to you than all your posters put together".  I scored mine a few months ago from emovie, and when I put it on the wall I was like "WOW  :o that...is... AWESOME!"   :D