Author Topic: The Quiet Man - Danish second run?  (Read 2913 times)

FatherofMeatballs

The Quiet Man - Danish second run?
« on: June 08, 2014, 03:17:23 PM »
Hello all,

My apologies if this is in the wrong location.  I'm hoping someone here can provide a little background/info on my poster for The Quiet Man.  It definitely appears to be Danish, but beyond that I have no other details.  I think it's probably a second run, due to the style of the image, but that's just a guess.

I have greatly enjoyed lurking and reading everyone's posts.  As a very casual collector this forum is a wonderful wealth of knowledge and information.

Thanks.

The poster can be seen here:
, as it didn't appear to be scaling down in the post.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: The Quiet Man - Danish second run?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 03:21:56 PM »
Here you go, FatherofMeatballs-

And  welcome1 to APF!

Jeff

« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 03:23:04 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

FatherofMeatballs

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 03:23:51 PM »
Thanks!  Trying to get that to post correctly from mobile was apparently beyond me.

Mirosae

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 03:45:27 PM »
thats a beautiful poster. It is not 70s. I thought it was more 80s look. I am a huge fan of this film and posters. So it is a great catch!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 03:59:28 PM by Mirosae »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 03:54:07 PM »
Hello all,

My apologies if this is in the wrong location.  I'm hoping someone here can provide a little background/info on my poster for The Quiet Man.  It definitely appears to be Danish, but beyond that I have no other details.  I think it's probably a second run, due to the style of the image, but that's just a guess.

I have greatly enjoyed lurking and reading everyone's posts.  As a very casual collector this forum is a wonderful wealth of knowledge and information.

Thanks.

The font style looks more modern.. it may be from 60s or early-mid 70s?

I couldn't find one previously sold on any of the auction sites.  :-\

-Jeff

Bruce

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 04:12:01 PM »
It is likely 1980s. 1970s at the very earliest.

FatherofMeatballs

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 04:14:02 PM »
IMDB indicates that after there were re-releases in 56, 61, 63, 66 and 68 in Denmark, but doesn't list any later. I would assume it's from one of those, perhaps 66 or 68 if the image and font strike everyone as being newer.  It's also possible it's from a re-release that's not listed.

FatherofMeatballs

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 04:35:17 PM »
thats a beautiful poster. It is not 70s. I thought it was more 80s look. I am a huge fan of this film and posters. So it is a great catch!

Thanks, it's one of my all time favorites as well.  I had to have it jut because of the contrast between this poster and the original release images. 

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 05:19:16 PM »
It is likely 1980s. 1970s at the very earliest.

Thanks, Bruce.

What, in your opinion, is the telltale 80s giveaway? The font style? The overall layout?

cheers

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 05:24:35 PM »
Thanks, it's one of my all time favorites as well.  I had to have it jut because of the contrast between this poster and the original release images. 

I can see why. And it seems to be in such a great condition! I have the Argentine OS and a lobby card (the one with the same artwork as your poster here). Like Bruce said, it does look to me like from the 80s.. it is just how it looks...but do let us know if you find out anything else about it. Congrats again!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 05:48:44 PM »
Hey FoM.

Where did you find your poster? Online? Or in a local store?

-Jeff

FatherofMeatballs

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 05:55:35 PM »
Hey FoM.

Where did you find your poster? Online? Or in a local store?

If I recall correctly, I bought it on a ubiquitous auction site close to 10 years ago.  The image is stiple-dot and has a Pop Art/Lichtenstein quality that was very appealing to me.  I want to say it was $20.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2014, 05:59:54 PM »
Looking at your supersize image, you can see the photos have that dot matrix quality like photos re-printed in a newspaper... and a great image, for sure. I watched this movie not too long ago, and was taken with the story, scenery and locations. Great casting too. My mom, a big film and John Wayne fan, loves this movie and had asked me for years if I had ever watched it. I finally did.  :D

Before you had it framed, (or maybe you can still see), is there any printer's info anywhere on the bottom border?

« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 06:02:04 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

FatherofMeatballs

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2014, 06:15:29 PM »

Before you had it framed, (or maybe you can still see), is there any printer's info anywhere on the bottom border?

Unfortunately, no, there is no printer's information anywhere; neither on the edges nor the back.  The poster was in good but not great shape when I got it.  There is some fold wear and a few marks, but linen backing and a tiny amount of color restoration has taken most of that out of it.

I think The Quiet Man is Wayne's best non-Western, though Rio Bravo has always been my personal favorite.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2014, 12:33:51 PM »
Hi FoM,

I wrote to a film company in Denmark, as I noticed the name of the distributor on your poster, in the lower left (Gloria). I received a reply this morning, which can maybe help date your Quiet Man poster a little better. The distributor, Gloria Film, was started in 1993 or '94, and they were only operating until 2004.

As another side note, The Quiet Man premiered on Danish TV on November 27, 1991.

-Jeff

FatherofMeatballs

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2014, 02:43:09 PM »
Hi FoM,

I wrote to a film company in Denmark, as I noticed the name of the distributor on your poster, in the lower left (Gloria). I received a reply this morning, which can maybe help date your Quiet Man poster a little better. The distributor, Gloria Film, was started in 1993 or '94, and they were only operating until 2004.

As another side note, The Quiet Man premiered on Danish TV on November 27, 1991.

Ah, that's great information, thank you so much.  Interesting because it's actually such a new poster.  The paper stock definitely gives the impression of being older.  Regardless, it looks great on my wall. 

Those poor Danes having to wait 40 years to see The Quiet Man on TV, now that's depressing.