Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2213255 times)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #3200 on: September 24, 2012, 03:38:24 PM »
That may be the absolute WORST artwork on an MGM poster that I've ever seen.  Anyone got an original pressbook on this film?  Something doesn't seem quite right.

I agree it does look pretty terrible.  Could it be a blown up and altered pressbook image?  Is today April 1?
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3201 on: September 24, 2012, 04:10:13 PM »
Wow - I am not sure ANYONE knew that even existed (beyond Todd)!

The consensus had been that the daybill that was found (then listed on eBay - only to be sold off eBay at a fraction of its worth - then put to Heritage where it sold for $10,000) was the largest piece extant on the title. 

He's been holding out OR it just surfaced somehow...

That was my understanding as well... I always though Mark was the only major Bela/horror film from the 30s without any sizable paper for it.

Which still begs the question... why the hell would he sell it!?!?  I don't know him, but given his collection Todd never struck me as the he's-selling-it-because-he-needs-the-money type.  Who knows... maybe he's saving up for that Met 3-sheet that will be coming to auction ;)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 04:17:30 PM by Harry Caul »

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #3202 on: September 24, 2012, 04:40:06 PM »
Is it even possible to make a US $195,000.00 payment by paypal?
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3203 on: September 24, 2012, 06:09:16 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380475983428?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Why would Todd be selling this if it is the only one? 

he doesn't keep everything and we all want to sell for a variety of reasons Matt. I'm selling one of a kind art right now from my collection to finance real estate purchase for instance.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3204 on: September 24, 2012, 06:10:47 PM »
The consensus had been that the daybill that was found (then listed on eBay - only to be sold off eBay at a fraction of its worth - then put to Heritage where it sold for $10,000) was the largest piece extant on the title.  

I didn't go back to look at the Heritage info on the daybill.. but I would bet it says "largest piece ever OFFERED"
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 06:11:29 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #3205 on: September 24, 2012, 06:16:51 PM »
he doesn't keep everything and we all want to sell for a variety of reasons Matt. I'm selling one of a kind art right now from my collection to finance real estate purchase for instance.

Exactly...I need to buy a car today for the wife, I have a Pretty Woman 1Sh for sale will trade for a BMW X6...
David

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3206 on: September 24, 2012, 06:29:54 PM »

I understand the logic Rich.  It just seems wild to me that a collector of his stature would unload a one-off like this.  Presumably he has other valuable posters in his collection that have multiple copies in existence that would be much easier to re-acquire down the road. 

As you say, though, who knows.  Wasn't he the one who offered the Bride teaser at HA a while back as well?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3207 on: September 24, 2012, 06:39:15 PM »
Yes he was Matt - with a very high reserve

And Rich - it was just knowledgeable collectors discussing the daybill that lead me to believe it was the largest (and only 'poster') known at that time.

But I did check the HA listing and there is this blurb:  "Offered in this lot is the only poster we have ever offered for this film and the only poster we are aware of!"
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 06:39:56 PM by CSM »
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3208 on: September 24, 2012, 06:41:27 PM »
One thing that does suck about the daybill is that Bela isn't pictured (but it's still a nice poster!)
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3209 on: September 24, 2012, 06:51:08 PM »
Matt.. Todd and I are older than you are, and at some point you reach a "it's time to start selling" mindset. I'm selling art today I never thought I would. Stuff I've had for 25 years or more.. It's a natural life cycle unless you are Bill Gates and can accumulate forever without any consequence and with the expectation that what you acquire will not be fucked off by heirs selling for peanuts.

something to consider also.. when you have owned the kind of great stuff that Todd has or I have, it becomes alot easier to sell them later on. For instance, about 1/3 of all Famous Monsters cover paintings by Basil Gogos and others went through my hands. The earliest painting I owned was #7 or #9. I had kept #12 & #16 for a long time, but I eventually sold them to fund something else. I made alot of money on Basil Gogos art. I've owned a few Frazetta paintings. I never kept one more than a few months or a year. I made lots of money on those also. Todd wants the cash for whatever reason. Maybe he wants to start a trust fund for his child. Honestly.. I don't care why he's selling it.. It's nice to see it. and yes, he is the owner of the Bride teaser
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 06:51:59 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

guest4185

« Reply #3210 on: September 24, 2012, 08:32:00 PM »
Wow - I am not sure ANYONE knew that even existed (beyond Todd)!

He's been holding out OR it just surfaced somehow...

I still hope whoever did that feels some sort of guilt for denying all those keen to bid on eBay just to rip off the buyer and make a quick buck.

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #3211 on: September 24, 2012, 08:48:37 PM »
Some people certainly knew it existed.  Ron Moore even mentioned it in an MCW article a few years back when Freddie Poe was doing a survey on rarest horror pieces.

It's a great poster, and if you could choose only a single one-sheet, half or insert to save from this film, this piece is the clear winner.  Better than anything except perhaps the style A 3-sheet (which as yet has never surfaced).

But as Rich said, sometimes it's just time to sell something.  Why did Todd sell his one-of-a-kind style B one-sheet to Black Cat a few years ago and hold onto the style A of which there are multiples of instead? The easiest answer might be because people who were willing and able to pay a lot for a Black Cat one-sheet already had a style A, or were willing to pay more for a style B, or perhaps he felt the time was right to test it after the crazy amount of money was spent on the A at Heritage. 
Todd has several great pieces that have not been pictured in any books and have been buried for years/decades. Wish he would do his own version of Graven Images to share them all, but that is totally his prerogative. 

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3212 on: September 24, 2012, 10:08:39 PM »

Todd has several great pieces that have not been pictured in any books and have been buried for years/decades. Wish he would do his own version of Graven Images to share them all, but that is totally his prerogative. 

That would be fantastic but I am not holding my breath...
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #3213 on: September 24, 2012, 10:47:17 PM »
Must have that blood and roses.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3214 on: September 27, 2012, 12:07:19 AM »
Here are an image of the MARK pressbook cover and inside page, showing the various poster styles that were available:

-Jeff

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #3215 on: September 27, 2012, 12:16:47 AM »
I'll take one of each, please  ;)

Nice to see you back Jeff
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3216 on: September 27, 2012, 10:21:27 AM »
They are to die for.
Nice post, Jeff.
 cheers

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3217 on: September 27, 2012, 10:49:05 AM »
Meanwhile, this seller is letting everything go for only $89.99 each.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Movie-Memorabilia-/196/i.html?item=320990648979&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3ASS%3AUS%3A1123&_ssn=rusty1377

Run....don't walk. (in the other direction)

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #3218 on: September 27, 2012, 10:54:25 AM »
Some sellers ( not poster dealers, but sellers) seem too scared they might let something go too cheap, they have no idea but think they might get ripped off by some sneaky buyer if they underprice. Idiot, they should do some research.
There's one in Australia like that, he does fairs in Sydney, no prices but if you ask he goes away for a while, comes back after talking to his wife and asks for some stupid price, he just does not want to sell something valuable cheap, but doesn't know which is and which isn't valuable, so he assumes if you ask, then it must be.
Drives me nuts.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #3219 on: September 27, 2012, 11:01:08 AM »
Some sellers ( not poster dealers, but sellers) seem too scared they might let something go too cheap, they have no idea but think they might get ripped off by some sneaky buyer if they underprice.

Sounds like a well known seller of Mexican Lobby cards.
-Jay-

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #3220 on: September 27, 2012, 11:02:45 AM »
Oh yes it does, ten dollars each if you buy in bulk? Hmmm, no thanks,
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3221 on: September 27, 2012, 12:37:10 PM »
Last night, I was looking at the ebay image of this poster, after I posted the image of the OS from the pressbook and things began to catch my eye. In looking at the ebay copy of the MARK OF THE VAMPIRE OS, and comparing it to the Style D image directly from the pressbook, there are some slight and not so slight variations in much of the artwork and font styles.

* Lugosi and Borland's faces appear to be hand rendered on the ebay copy, rather than the photos that were used on the PB one sheet. Both faces are lacking any color and are more washed out. The pressbook poster has each actor with very white faces, blue shadows across Lugosi's forehead and cheeks and each have intense, red lips. The part in Borland's hair is also different on the 2 versions.

* Lugosi's left ear (in shadow) is much more prominent and extends out further on the ebay copy. Note that on the pressbook image, that same ear is little more than a pointed "bump" on the side of Lugosi's head.

* The shape of the candlestick varies. The left side of the candle on each is markedly different, with the ebay candle being more a straight line from top to bottom; the PB version shows areas that are uneven, as tho melted in spots.

* The smoke whisp lines that rise to the top of the page are slightly different and dont quite match. Note how they all touch next to the T in Hersholt, on the pb image; they do not on the ebay image. The candle flame art is also slightly different.

* The word "A" is missing above the word, METRO, on the ebay copy. And the "do not reprint" watermarks do not appear to be blocking it, as is evidenced higher up on the poster, where credits can be read through the watermark.

*The title font color is different. The ebay version is green; the pressbook (and a reproduction found on Moviegoods, which I used for the larger image only), both show the font to be yellow.

*The font style is slightly off on some words. Look at the letter A in Elizabeth and in her last name, ALLAN. On the pressbook version, the openings above the cross line of the A's are quite small; on the ebay copy, that open area is much larger. The Z in Elizabeth is not the same, and the capital E, in BARRYMORE looks slightly different, with the center leg of the E being a bit higher than on the PB image.

*On the pb version, the letters G and O in Lugosi look to be thicker, when compared to those on the ebay version.

*The letter O in the title "OF" has a larger center opening on the ebay copy, when compared to the pb style D version.

* The tail of the letter R in Hersholt extends below the S on the pb version; on the ebay copy, the bottom of the two letters are even.

One last difference, too, is the area of Lugosi's tie, the cowl under his chin, and areas of his shirt that are visible. On the pressbook one sheet, the tie in not as detailed, the shape of the tie that hangs down is different and the small triangular area of white shirt that is just to the left of the letter M of Metro, seen on the pb version, is no where to be found on the ebay copy. Also, very little of Lugosi's white shirt is shown at all on the ebay copy; not so, on the style D, from the pb.

So is the copy on ebay a first release? IMO, this looks to be something possibly done later, using the original pressbook one sheet as a template. Too many things appear to be inconsistent, when compared to to the image from the pressbook.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 12:44:12 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3222 on: September 27, 2012, 01:25:31 PM »
Nice dissection, Jeff.
I initially attributed some of these inconsistencies to poor photography reproduction on the Pressbook page, but those blobs on the side of the candle (and the smoothed out arc of the smoke on the left side of the poster) look like bad restoration to me. 
Maybe that's why Todd has set such a low opening bid for such a scarce poster?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3223 on: September 27, 2012, 02:02:18 PM »
Ted, the faces of Borland and Lugosi are markedly different in their aesthetic appearance, wouldnt you say? Even taking into account, photographic variance, the renditions are not the same:

Faces:

Candles (Pbook image on L, ebay copy on R):

Bow ties/shirt variations and the Missing "A" above Metro:

-Jeff

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #3224 on: September 27, 2012, 02:39:22 PM »
Press book images of posters sometimes (or often depending on your point of view) do not match 100% what the actual poster looks like. I've even heard of instances where they have versions of posters listed that they never actually printed. I wish I could remember an actual example, but all I can remember is that it was discussed awhile ago on one of these forums. I can't remember which forum but likely it was nsfge. I think the early star wars press books have one sheets with Hildebrandt art instead of Tom Jung.