Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2212754 times)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #3150 on: September 06, 2012, 09:55:12 AM »
That's a beauty, Holiday.  thumbup

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #3151 on: September 06, 2012, 11:19:05 AM »
That's a beauty, Holiday.  thumbup

Thanks, Ted.  I'm quite fond of it.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #3152 on: September 06, 2012, 11:37:41 AM »

So does anybody want to go on the record as to what Matrix Int. will sell for tonight?  Unfortunately, my work schedule will preclude me from watching the auction live and my gavelsnipe for emovie is a little buggy  wynk.  So, I might have to put in an early bid and let the chips fall where they may.  I think I am the current high bid as of this morning, though I know it is unrealistically low at this moment.

Brian
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 11:40:58 AM by ATLfun »
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Bruce

« Reply #3153 on: September 06, 2012, 02:32:05 PM »
According to here:
http://moviepostercollectors.com/MPC_Authentication_Matrix_Int.html
the poster is supposed to measure 26 15/16” x 29 3/4”, yet the EMP listing says it measures 27x41. Also, the example photo clearly shows a poster with dimensions that exceed the ~27/30 ratio, which is confusing.

It is certainly a cool looking poster. I don't like the fold lines though, I would have to go for a rolled copy.

I pulled it out and measured it and it is exactly 26 15/16” x 39 15/16” (the "29 3/4”" is obviously a typo, and they either meant to put 39 3/4" or 39 15/16"). It is exactly 39 15/16".

We are adding this to the auction.

Thanks,
Bruce

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3154 on: September 06, 2012, 06:22:53 PM »
I know Holiday likes it but I think it's a very, very ugly poster.  Just Keanu himself is enough to make me run, but the whole poster has zero creativity to it.  Aside from the fact that it's rare, I really don't get you guys' passion for it.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #3155 on: September 06, 2012, 06:58:44 PM »
I know Holiday likes it but I think it's a very, very ugly poster.  Just Keanu himself is enough to make me run, but the whole poster has zero creativity to it.  Aside from the fact that it's rare, I really don't get you guys' passion for it.

T

It's my favorite of them all, but not because it's the rarest.  I like the darker tone.  Frankly, though, all of the matrix posters leave a lot to be desired as a campaign.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3156 on: September 06, 2012, 08:18:49 PM »
It's my favorite of them all, but not because it's the rarest.  I like the darker tone.  Frankly, though, all of the matrix posters leave a lot to be desired as a campaign.

Anything with Keanu Reeves on it leaves to be desired.  And come on Holiday, honestly, this is a terrible photoshop montage.  Like Pulp Fiction.  It's pretty bad too, but at least it has Uma.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3157 on: September 06, 2012, 09:08:02 PM »
Finis. Brian wins it. By the way, the consignor told me that this copy originated from Dan Rickard....

« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 09:11:27 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #3158 on: September 06, 2012, 09:10:14 PM »
I guess his early bid was good enough.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3159 on: September 06, 2012, 09:11:14 PM »
I enjoyed the show!  pcorn

Thanks for the thursday night theatre boys.

clap clap clap clap clap clap clap

and Gratz Brian.  cheers

Edited for day of the week. This is thursday no? I put tuesday.  8)

« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 09:23:17 PM by Zorba »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3160 on: September 06, 2012, 09:16:39 PM »
Finis. Brian wins it. By the way, the consignor told me that this copy originated from Dan Rickard....

So Dan has managed to track down 3 of the 4 known copies of this poster?!?

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #3161 on: September 06, 2012, 09:18:08 PM »
  It was truly my last bid. Thanks for the congratulations.  Usually, this is where APF'ers let me know that I paid too much.   wynk
But at least my collection has some key posters.  Moviepostercollectors.com "Rare" section is my inspiration.  thumbup

Brian

Edit: Actually this poster was my last pre-hiatus purchase and my first Universal monster:

« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 09:38:21 PM by ATLfun »
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Bruce

« Reply #3162 on: September 06, 2012, 09:25:23 PM »
The two people who were with you are people who have good instincts for what will do great in the future.  Your only fear is that a bunch of them turn up some day.

Congrats!

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #3163 on: September 06, 2012, 10:05:45 PM »
So who here is going for that Cleopatra?

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #3164 on: September 06, 2012, 10:08:03 PM »
So who here is going for that Cleopatra?

Me.  Been saving for a while.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #3165 on: September 06, 2012, 10:27:17 PM »
Excellent win, Brian.   thumbup

Dan is probably wishing he had consigned The Matrix lightning one sheet to Bruce, instead of selling it on MPF.  When I missed that "for sale" post, it was about the only time I have regretted not checking out MPF more often, but it's good to see that they both went to good folks.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 10:46:42 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #3166 on: September 06, 2012, 10:36:31 PM »

Edit: Actually this poster was my last pre-hiatus purchase and my first Universal monster:

Meh, it's a daybill AND Universal International.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #3167 on: September 06, 2012, 11:13:13 PM »
So Dan has managed to track down 3 of the 4 known copies of this poster?!?

Wow is all I am gonna say on that one. I walked away from this whole auction on purpose as signature or mini/major auction title mean people pay more than they should for anything. There were 3 things I wanted but I was not going to the gavel with the crazies on anything.

Congrats to those that got what they wanted.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3168 on: September 07, 2012, 12:01:02 AM »
I walked away from this whole auction on purpose as signature or mini/major auction title mean people pay more than they should for anything.

So true.  I only bid on what I cannot buy elsewhere.  If I already owned something, it sold for 3 to 5x more than what I paid for.  So congrats to Bruce.  He knows where to find them.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #3169 on: September 07, 2012, 12:07:53 AM »
Anything with Keanu Reeves on it leaves to be desired.  And come on Holiday, honestly, this is a terrible photoshop montage.  Like Pulp Fiction.  It's pretty bad too, but at least it has Uma.

Nah, on this one I have to disagree.  Sometimes photoshop is not so bad.  Not everything has to be painted to be good.  I think you have to be a real fan of the movie, though, to like these posters.  I am, so it fits.

Congrats to you, Brian.  I think you did well, and considering what was being originally asked, it sounds like you "saved" about a grand.

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3170 on: September 07, 2012, 12:41:20 AM »
Well, not a huge fan of the movie to begin with, so this might explain that.
My Personal Collection

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #3171 on: September 07, 2012, 12:50:29 AM »
Matrix was awesome.

The sequels were beyond horrible. In my humble opinion of course.

Steven11788

« Reply #3172 on: September 07, 2012, 08:42:20 AM »
never could get into the matrix... oh well, that is an insane price to me, but glad you got it,

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #3173 on: September 08, 2012, 09:59:32 PM »
Anybody see this listing?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THIEF-James-Caan-1981-THEATER-MOVIE-POSTER-60-x-40-Rare-LARGE-SCALE-SIZE-/271055287535?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D1912680615443299501%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26

Pretty cool poster, but it has an extra feature, someone used markers on the back side of it to make a homemade poster!  8)  Have any of y'all seen something like this before? 

Front side - American artist (?)

Back side - daybill artist (?)  :P

Great movie.  Just saw it recently, and picked up a 30x40 for it.  I'm thinking about bidding on this one also.  What do y'all think about the marker ink on the back side.  Will it eventually "bleed" through?  If it was linen backed, would it still eventually "bleed" through?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3174 on: September 08, 2012, 10:37:39 PM »
This is a piece of history for sure.  I have seen it many times, but never as well done as this one.  Some theaters would not get posters to advertise movies they would play sometimes as second billing, and would write the name of the movie and showtimes at the back of another poster.  But whoever did this went the extra mile.  It's cool.

T
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 10:38:29 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection