Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2216443 times)

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #3075 on: August 16, 2012, 03:13:12 PM »
 :-[ I sold all mine back on original release. So I have my 7 keepers and thats it. I am not much of a holder, I dont have the room unfortunately.

I imagine there are a couple folks sitting on 50 or 100 still.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3076 on: August 16, 2012, 03:16:11 PM »
Dale, do you keep 7 of everything?
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #3077 on: August 16, 2012, 03:45:13 PM »
I keep 2 flat, and 5 rolled of everything new I get in. The older stuff I may get, I only keep singles on unless I get a bunch, then I keep dupes there as well.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3078 on: August 16, 2012, 04:02:46 PM »
So how many posters would you say you have now?

PS: Did you keep 7 of Fred Claus?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 04:03:55 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #3079 on: August 16, 2012, 04:29:04 PM »
Really?

I thought that the few months following Heath's death these things spikes and have since leveled. The past few I have seen on the 'bay have found new homes for 50 bills, give or take.

Really.

I don't know about eBay, but...
http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/search/dark%2520knight/tag/teaser/country/U.S./type/1sh/archive.html

In the past 8 months:
201, 155, 250 (in G-VG condition no less!), 206, 175, 160, 230.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #3080 on: August 16, 2012, 06:42:58 PM »
8907 unique styles inventoried in my own keepers, no dupes, lobbies count as 1 item regardless of how many in the set.

I have boxes I just shelved to go through as time allows, would imagine another 500 - 1000 or so in those.

With dupes, not sure, dont have a real good way to count that as part of the list is hard copy only due to a crash years ago.

And I have 14 Fred Claus, there were 2 styles  ;), but those 14 I count as 2 in my 8907 count if that makes any sense.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 06:44:23 PM by ddilts399 »

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3081 on: August 16, 2012, 07:56:03 PM »
you have 8907 different posters in other words with a vast majority of them having each 2 flat copies & 5 rolled copies

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

ps.

« Reply #3082 on: August 20, 2012, 11:25:57 PM »
while i'm sure this has been expounded on a million and a half times before, in what universe is this Fine condition?

(heritage, btw)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 11:26:22 PM by ps. »

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #3083 on: August 20, 2012, 11:30:56 PM »
while i'm sure this has been expounded on a million and a half times before, in what universe is this Fine condition?

Yet another example of why word conditions are passe.
Numbers and large photos are the way to go.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #3084 on: August 20, 2012, 11:50:11 PM »
(heritage, btw)

Wow...that's bad, except of course Audrey is might fine
David

Charlie

« Reply #3085 on: August 21, 2012, 10:28:48 AM »
Yet another example of why word conditions are passe.
Numbers and large photos are the way to go.

Right but isn't there a number assigned to fine?  Like 6?

Why not just describe it?  Grading is stupid.

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #3086 on: August 21, 2012, 01:47:31 PM »
Right but isn't there a number assigned to fine?  Like 6?
Why not just describe it?  Grading is stupid.

Certainly there is a number assigned in the CGC system.

I'm just saying what if "Fine" is the lowest grade I use and I say "Fine" to describe my worst condition posters?
(example, I use Fine, Very Fine, Extra Fine, and Mint).

Grading is not stupid for people who worry about condition, but without a universally accepted grading system it can be stupid
www.Kaijuposters.com

Charlie

« Reply #3087 on: August 21, 2012, 02:31:05 PM »
Certainly there is a number assigned in the CGC system.

I'm just saying what if "Fine" is the lowest grade I use and I say "Fine" to describe my worst condition posters?
(example, I use Fine, Very Fine, Extra Fine, and Mint).

Grading is not stupid for people who worry about condition, but without a universally accepted grading system it can be stupid

Well I guess what I am trying to say is that assigning a number to something that can not be measured scientifically by instrument is a stupid concept.  There is literally no meaning behind either 'fine' or 6...

For example: In all situations; Do they mean that there are pin holes?  Do they mean that there are tears?  Does it mean half an inch of the right side is missing? 

No!  So in its simplest form grading is stupid because it doesn't convey enough information to your so called 'worriers of condition'.  Trust me if a collector is only using grading alone to make a decision they are pretty stupid as well... which is why your large images are key.  Also probably why no one complains.  Can you imagine if all you provided was numbers?  Essentially, grades have no absolute meaning in terms of condition... It is a qualitative measure based on unscientific means.  Really all it tells someone is that if two card were lined up side-by-side (from the same grader), hopefully, a 9 is better than a 6 and a 6 is better than a 4...  But you still have no true idea the condition of the item... 

If a dealer wanted to impress me, he would develop certain condition categories such as: 'pin holes', 'edge fraying', 'small tears', 'surface loss', 'paper loss', 'creases', 'fading', 'writing', etc... on top of a general qualitative grade so that I could toggle away all those with say 'paper loss'.  But dealers are too lazy for that and will continue to hide behind a large images and meaningless grades... 

Ideally, I like to think that a buyer should be able (in his mind) to pick up the poster move it around under light, turn it over, run his fingers on the surface and know exactly what he is getting.... You can get that from a great description - you will never get that type of information from a grade...

So... Grades are pretty much stupid and pointless.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3088 on: August 21, 2012, 02:34:14 PM »
Charlie, do youthink my grading system is wrong? I do use a numerical system, though I do also describe defects that can't be seen in my super-large-and-clear-photos. I also have descriptions of my numerical system just below my grade estimate.. In my opinion, the large pic says more than any grading #

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #3089 on: August 21, 2012, 02:53:21 PM »
The grading numbers give me a bearing or a way of comparing.  10 tells me its perfect, and I never see 10.  9 says its as good as it gets, in reality.  8 is a few dings.  7 is getting to dog territory.  6 and below is not collectable unless it's a super rare poster that I'm dying to find, and then I buy it knowing that it will be a constant thorn in my side until I can replace it. 
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Charlie

« Reply #3090 on: August 21, 2012, 02:59:15 PM »
Charlie, do youthink my grading system is wrong? I do use a numerical system, though I do also describe defects that can't be seen in my super-large-and-clear-photos. I also have descriptions of my numerical system just below my grade estimate.. In my opinion, the large pic says more than any grading #

Rich, I don't think that any grading system is "wrong".  I just think it insufficient to be the only source of information.  Most dealers are not touting their grading system as the 'be all to end all' like Sean.  If you use grading as a way to assist buyers make an informed decision in addition to descriptions and images, then grading can have a place; but more simply as just a toggling mechanism. 

"Well in general I am not interested in anything less than a 7 unless it's rare..."  "Show me everything 'Good to Very Good' or 7 and above.."

What cracks me up about numbers is: What is the amount of significance between say a '6' and a '7'... Sometimes a poster that looks like a '9' is a '6' because a corner is missing...  So what about the 'worrier of condition' is not so worried about a 1/4" piece of the corner missing that he can cover with matting when framed?  So now he toggled away that '9'...

Buyers use several different packages of information to make a decision and grading is just not that big an influence in my book.  If there is a great description then you are no longer worried about what the grade means...  It would be as simple as to say "new, used, well used, you don't want this one" just so you can toggle...  Same as 'pin holes', 'edge fraying', 'small tears', 'surface loss', 'paper loss', 'creases', 'fading', 'writing', etc...

But to claim that a 'number grade' is where it is at, just illustrates that some would rather force a grading system down your throat simply because it makes listing posters easier.

To me the information package priority would be:

Title
Descriptors to Toggle  (let's say I don't want any faded colors - done! without grade)
Grade to Toggle (Let's say generally I don't want any <4's or 'Fair' or worse - done!)
Actual Detailed Description of Flaws
Image to Confirm
Bid/Buy

Result less controversy on condition and reduced returns...

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3091 on: August 21, 2012, 03:23:01 PM »
a poster that looks like 9 but has a corner off is a 6 Charlie.. maybe a 5/6.. what's your point??

no one grades the same (something we experienced dealers know) and is only meant to be a guide for the buyer. It is not meant to be a gospel

-------

Charlie

« Reply #3092 on: August 21, 2012, 04:32:05 PM »
a poster that looks like 9 but has a corner off is a 6 Charlie.. maybe a 5/6.. what's your point??

no one grades the same (something we experienced dealers know) and is only meant to be a guide for the buyer.

Great point! That is exactly my point... Just as sellers don't grade the same, condition snobs have varying level of concerns.  My point was that a six by you, based on the corner missing may still be a 9 to a buyer. And if the 'guide' is the only thing used then grading as a whole has failed; as it always has.

This is even further evidence why grading has limited use. 

It is not meant to be a gospel

But if that is all that is given, it's the only thing to interpret...   

If you say "approximately 1/4" of the lower right corner is missing" that is universal... Or if you toggle absolute condition issues such as "paper loss", "missing corner/corner damage" there is absolutely no confusion in this guidance...

With the wave of new competition in the market dealers should further focus on approaches to better define and sell their product. I would guarantee any dealer whom applied detailed descriptions, that they would capture additional market share.  If a dealer is willing to detail all the flaws, I can make no assumption on whether he is attempting to sell me something that it is not. As a whole I can trust that what I am buying is what I am getting.  Why do you think large food corporation spend so much time and money to make sure a cup of coffee in Vegas taste the same as it does in Houston...  Because if it didn't, could you guarantee how that cup of coffee would taste next time? If I knew I was going to get that same great cup of coffee why bother with another seller...  Now posters aren't exactly a commodity but you could make an argument that service can be... unless it isn't.

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #3093 on: August 21, 2012, 11:24:11 PM »
The grading numbers give me a bearing or a way of comparing. 

This is what it's all about. Words are useless as a way of comparing.  The original question asked in what universe was a particular item a "fine". My response was that if "fine" was the lowest word condition I use, then that is the universe where it could be a "fine".  Numbers are much more useful as a starting point for comparison.

An 8 should always be nicer than a 6 no matter what defects bother you more than others.  I have no idea if "fine" is supposed to be better than "excellent" or "very good", and for people who use English as their 2nd language (or 3rd, or who don't even use it) those words make even less sense, but a number gives everyone a good starting point.

I don't think anyone would argue that a more detailed description is best, but in my mind telling me something is an "8.5" gives me a much better mental image of an item than telling me it is "very good" and that is the more information we strive to attain as both buyer and seller.

Your cup of coffee example illustrates it great. Those companies want you to feel that no matter where you are when you order a large X, it has y ounces of blechh in it and tastes the same at every location. Same as the third-party grading services want you to feel like every time you purchase a 7.5, you know exactly what you will be getting no matter who you purchase it from.
If coffee company A sells a "large" and it has 9oz, but company B sells a "large" that has only 6oz, but is still larger than their medium, you would probably feel you were taken advantage of, but if company A sold a "9" and company B sold a "6", you would have a little more idea of what you were getting and could make a more informed purchase.

Will these 3rd party companies succeed? I don't know. 
I just think it would be nice if everyone could use the same terminology.

www.Kaijuposters.com

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3094 on: August 22, 2012, 01:17:59 AM »
I just think it would be nice if everyone could use the same terminology.

there is some universal terminology that people use, but you'll find more of it in "Let it All Out"

-------

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3095 on: August 22, 2012, 02:59:54 AM »
Great post on an ongoing problem..I like Sean's comparison and agree that the precise condition of an item is still a difficult thing to navigate..fine vs. very fine doesn't lend much to exact condition defects such as pinholes within an image or just in the corners, is paper loss in the image or just the borders...

I also feel that packaging methods are even further behind in terms of standard ...I have personally offered to pay more to an unknown dealer/seller... Only to be assured of "professional methods" and receive damaged pieces..perhaps a grading system for packaging is not so far off!!
Tait

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #3096 on: August 23, 2012, 08:02:52 PM »
We often refer to Queenslanders as Cowboys (not a term of endearment), here's one good reason why:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hobbit-Movie-Poster-/170898039466?pt=AU_Movie_Memorabilia&hash=item27ca5122aa

Judging by the carpet it is also possible it is actually the movie theatre owner...(or staff)
David

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Chris

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #3099 on: August 28, 2012, 12:39:18 PM »
That buyer kpposters has placed many bids in the current clint/sw auction. Must be someone with more money than sense