Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2213294 times)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #2550 on: May 03, 2012, 06:42:54 PM »
 laugh1

movieposterstudio

« Reply #2551 on: May 03, 2012, 06:46:19 PM »
The paper quality looks all wrong, it looks like modern printing. I have this poster, and the finish is nothing like this one has.

Goldfinger doesn’t look right to me either. Paul (longdog) is right about the cropping of the golden girl’s eyebrows at the top. It actually looks rather like the 27x36 repro, not the original quad - http://www.ebay.com/itm/190672700123

I asked the seller a few days ago for the exact size, as it looked trimmed. I also asked for confirmation of it being folded, as I couldn’t make out any fold lines. The seller replied within a flash that it measures approx 40x30 (not exact size as I requested) and has never been trimmed to his knowledge. He also said it has been in his family for years, it’s been framed for a long time, and the fold lines are very faint. Interesting.

What is similarly disconcerting is that he is also selling a “totally original” 80s re-release Diamonds Are Forever one sheet measuring 39x25. The only problem being that his close-up shows a copyright date of 1997, along with the phrase “Reproduced by The Vintage Magazine Co”.

Paul

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #2552 on: May 03, 2012, 07:00:19 PM »
But will you bid (seriously bid)?

very possibly, and I win a high % of things I bid on Chris
I'm as serious a bidder as anyone when I'm bidding.. or why waste my time
yeah it's nice to win something for $3, but if I win at my high snipe of $300, then why would I have any complaints?

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2553 on: May 03, 2012, 11:42:13 PM »
very possibly, and I win a high % of things I bid on Chris
I'm as serious a bidder as anyone when I'm bidding.. or why waste my time
yeah it's nice to win something for $3, but if I win at my high snipe of $300, then why would I have any complaints?

Guess I'll just bid $305 since you posted the auction ;)
Chris

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #2554 on: May 04, 2012, 12:02:45 AM »
I'd like to see people walk the walk, out auctions and go on to win them. Then I will see they really think there is no issue with outing them... Until then its all bluff to me...

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2555 on: May 04, 2012, 12:05:26 AM »
Holiday, you completely missed the point, which makes Rich's agreement boner all the more hilarious.

A dealer/seller posting info on their stuff is night and day from an independent third party outing a singular auction at random, and for no reason.

Oh for Christ's sake, I gave up trying to figure out the point of anything on this forum a long time ago, Ben!  It's all pointless.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
an extra 2c and a bedtime story
« Reply #2556 on: May 04, 2012, 12:33:30 AM »
Your Mom lists an old vase she has and doesn't like much. She needs some $ and its been gathering dust.
On the WE LOVE VASES forum, someone sees it, its quite a rare vase, but she has listed it in the fondu section. And has misspelled "Vaze"
Someone on WE LOVE VASES forum posts the auction, laughing at her mistakes.
Someone else on WE LOVE VASES forum is pissed because they assumed they were the ONLY Vase collector who found it (he happened to be looking for a fondu set for his wife).
Now there are a few more potential bidders, who might try for a bargain (added to the million other ebay users who might like Vases and don't bother with forums).

Person who posted auction link, obviously wasn't going to bid, or he wouldn't have posted.
Person who was going to bid, MIGHT still win the auction (as before it was posted he MIGHT win).
Meanwhile all NON forum members who are going to bid have no idea, they have yet another person/s interested.
So all this means.. your Mom has a little more chance of getting what her Vase is worth.
Mom is happy.
Winner is happy as he got the item (might be more than he wished, but he paid what he could afford and what he thought was worth to him/her).
Loser/s are unhappy, but it obviously wasn't worth as much to them as winner.
Thats what auctions are all about.

If an item is correctly listed, well described, nice picture etc. Then outing it here is inconsequential, more people buy posters than join poster forums (or read them), and especially for better items (which is surely all that matter here, cheap posters are dime a dozen surely?).

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #2557 on: May 04, 2012, 12:49:41 AM »
Ari, your theory is missing the main point that makes it moot:

nobody's mother here sells posters

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #2558 on: May 04, 2012, 12:55:35 AM »
 :P
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Der Januskopf

« Reply #2559 on: May 04, 2012, 01:08:07 AM »
And nobody's mother here speaks Belgian, either.  laugh1

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #2560 on: May 04, 2012, 01:19:09 AM »

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #2561 on: May 04, 2012, 01:36:24 AM »
And nobody's mother here speaks Belgian, either.  laugh1

:)

;D

laugh1
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 01:40:00 AM by Silhouette »
David

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #2562 on: May 05, 2012, 02:08:45 PM »
Yes the paper does look 'off' and a picture of the back might help but the thing that stood out to me was that either the top inch has been trimmed or the overall image has been enlarged.

On the original (below) you can see above her brow line which you can't on the one currently being auctioned.

Yup, I'd steer clear... here is a close-up comparison:

On the left is the seller's copy (taken on a blue background).  On the right is a folded copy from here (taken on a black background): http://www.filmposters.com/movie-poster.asp?ProdID=14819  I wanted to find a comparison picture where you could see the complete poster including the edges.  The seller's uses artwork that has been significantly cropped.  The shadows on her face look too dark too... contrast issues (especially shadow detail) are usually a clear sign of a reproduction.

I feel sorry for the poor sucker who wins this poster.  I bet it goes well north of a $1000.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2563 on: May 05, 2012, 02:27:59 PM »
Don't those idiots check out this forum.... we "out" an auction and instead of not bidding, they bid more.... Which just goes to show outing an auction on here, pushes the price right up.... ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

Der Januskopf

« Reply #2564 on: May 05, 2012, 03:07:48 PM »
From the Post-auction thread:

But you didn't post the link to your $100 Starchild before it ended here, did you?

Maybe that's because you wanted that one for what you thought was a good deal.

Or is another 'rule' that folks can and should post auctions here they have no personal interest in...?

wonka,

Do you think you will ever get an answer to this question? 

It seems a double standard. Post auctions that one is NOT interested in, but remain silent about those that one has his or her eye on.  :-\

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #2565 on: May 05, 2012, 03:25:41 PM »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261013910880?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

i know this "star wars" quad is rare, but serously, this must have quite a limited market, for the completist only!

Steven11788

« Reply #2566 on: May 05, 2012, 04:08:11 PM »
not sure if this goes here, but WTF i picked this up for 7 bucks last week, and I see it sale cheap all the time, is there somthing special about these idk

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2557748

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #2567 on: May 05, 2012, 04:24:14 PM »
not sure if this goes here, but WTF i picked this up for 7 bucks last week, and I see it sale cheap all the time, is there somthing special about these idk

Bruce soaks them in LSD. People are always willing to pay a premium for that.  ;D
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Steven11788

« Reply #2568 on: May 05, 2012, 07:30:49 PM »
must be some good shit..

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2569 on: May 06, 2012, 05:24:26 AM »
Lets just out every auction..... ;D

This is a 80's repro that someone is going to/has already, to over pay on.  Are people just buying any Crap lately. I must get some of my repros up for sale... ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORIGINAL-QUAD-THUNDERBIRDS-/300703406987?pt=UK_DVD_Film_TV_Film_Memorabilia_LE&hash=item460351db8b#ht_500wt_1413

I emailed the fellow, he say's he'll tell the buyer when the auction finishes.....yea right!!
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
    • Quadbod media memorabilia
« Reply #2570 on: May 06, 2012, 08:03:49 AM »
Don't those idiots check out this forum.... we "out" an auction and instead of not bidding, they bid more.... Which just goes to show outing an auction on here, pushes the price right up.... ;)

GOLDFINGER has topped 500 notes now ... sheeesh!

Best wishes.

Terry - www.quadbod.co.uk
Quadbod media memorabilia - http://www.quadbod.co.uk

Bruce

« Reply #2571 on: May 06, 2012, 08:15:46 AM »

movieposterstudio

« Reply #2572 on: May 06, 2012, 08:46:06 AM »
I haven't seen this poster before. Have you guys?

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2554586

It's been at Christies South Ken a couple of times, and I think I even saw it on ebay once, but it's a rare one...

Paul

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #2573 on: May 06, 2012, 08:56:14 AM »
Not sure what this is, although Esquire Magazine is a brit publication..could it have been a give away?

Stew

movieposterstudio

« Reply #2574 on: May 06, 2012, 09:01:02 AM »

This is a 80's repro that someone is going to/has already, to over pay on.  Are people just buying any Crap lately. I must get some of my repros up for sale... ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORIGINAL-QUAD-THUNDERBIRDS-/300703406987?pt=UK_DVD_Film_TV_Film_Memorabilia_LE&hash=item460351db8b#ht_500wt_1413

Oh dear. At least this one has authentic folds and archival tape repair! In the end nothing really changes - even pre-internet I remember seeing one of these turn up regularly at the film fairs with appropriate "signs of use".

Paul