Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2213051 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #1000 on: July 28, 2011, 11:03:26 PM »
You should not promote Bradburied, Mel.  He's a thief and a crook.  Plus, he sells tons of fakes.  Buyer beware.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1001 on: July 28, 2011, 11:26:39 PM »
Thierry, you're going to have be more specific.  The problem with these guys is that most of their stuff is legit. I have no doubt his Star Wars C, Scarface, and Manhattan posters are bootlegs but most of them are not.  If you want a rolled poster from the 1970s and you're an advanced collector, you may want to take a shot at some of these.  I'm not "promoting" him.  When somebody dumps hundreds of rolled posters from the 70s & 80s on the market at once, that's a newsworthy event.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 11:27:08 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #1002 on: July 29, 2011, 06:27:10 AM »
Some of us choose not to deal with sellers who deliberately sell fakes as legit (knowing full well what they are flogging) even if 90% of their stock IS legit.
Its just a moral stance of not giving money to people we disagree with ethically.
Get a bargain from Bradburied, if you like, and know who gets the last laugh.
If I ate meat I still wouldn't eat at McDonalds, as I don;t like what they do to the environment.
All the same to me, there are lines and everyone choses where they draw them.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1003 on: July 29, 2011, 07:39:50 AM »
It's a quandary, for sure.  The problem is most sellers and buyers are less than perfect.  Like most small businesses in this country, 95% of sellers probably "finesse" their tax returns, to put it diplomatically.  Heritage apparently allows consignors to bid on their own auctions and uses a mysterious in-house bidder, which I don't like but can't do anything about.  And of course I'm less than perfect too.  I've made some off-Ebay deals that deprived Ebay of  commissions to which it probably was entitled. Thierry admitted that he uses multiple accounts at Ebay to increase the number of watchers so that the seller thinks the poster is attracting more attention than it really is. So at this point if the poster is legit and reasonably priced, I'm not going to categorically exclude a particular seller from consideration for lack of perfection.

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #1004 on: July 29, 2011, 07:44:25 AM »
yep, thats why we draw our own lines.
There are many dealers I have never dealt with, and many that most of you guys wuld say WTF? WHY? Its just my business as to whom I choose to give money to.
I HAVE given Money to Tom Loce, only because I REALY wanted a Minty White signed by Prof Powers. So I broke my rules and gave him some $. Once.
Thats over, and it was a fun joke, that I still enjoy.
Everyone should decide what is right or wrong. I won't judge.
But I will have a dig, when someone comes along and says "HEY I BOUGHT THIDS FROM Tom Loce or BRANDBURIED, is it a fake? I am worried"
Don't trust 'em, don't support them with bucks.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1005 on: July 29, 2011, 09:00:28 AM »
Before I could warn him, a friend of mine who was even newer to posters than I bought what we are pretty sure is a fake DS Star Trek XI from him.

It was shorter in length, a little bit fuzzier and had different coloring on some of the credits than the second copy he bought from a different dealer after the red flags went up. Also the second copy was paler on the reverse side while bb's was the same on both sides. It wasnt that bad of a job and without the second poster we would never had ''really" known. For all I know they are both fake. Though its really hard to imagine multiple fakes for ST XI going around.

Star Trek XI? Really? Woah...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 09:03:40 AM by Zorba »

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1006 on: July 29, 2011, 10:29:59 AM »
 If you want a rolled poster from the 1970s and you're an advanced collector, you may want to take a shot at some of these.  I'm not "promoting" him.  

Mel, you are promoting him by letting everyone know that he dumped a ton of 70's and 80's posters on Ebay.  I am honestly surprised that you would promote a sleaze bag like him, any advanced collector would know better.

By the way, I picked up an Out of Africa one sheet early on when i first started collecting before i knew what he was about and sure enough its fake...Out of Africa is not really a popular poster to be bootlegging but sure enough he had one and sold it.

Cj
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 05:18:55 PM by Cj »

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #1007 on: July 29, 2011, 10:52:55 AM »
I must be lucky - the posters I bought from Bradburied years ago were all legit; this was, of course, before I met you guys!
I haven't bought from him since out of principle, even though most of his gear IS legit.

I can't believe some of you STILL think that having a signed poster means the end of the world lol (yes, I exaggerate) and some think once you have one you will never be able to get rid of it ...
... With regards to the John Williams signed poster - trust me, there are plenty of Star Wars nuts out there who would buy it, just like there are plenty of Bond nuts who would buy a Albert Broccoli signed Bond original.

Most people, in my experience, who buy signed posters display them (with few stored).
Most people, in my experience, who buy unsigned posters store them (with few displayed).

Anyway ...
... any interesting auctions taking place at the moment?
Best wishes,
Adam

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1008 on: July 29, 2011, 11:37:04 AM »
Some of us choose not to deal with sellers who deliberately sell fakes as legit (knowing full well what they are flogging) even if 90% of their stock IS legit.
Its just a moral stance of not giving money to people we disagree with ethically.

sm1

That's all there is.  There are a few posters I wanted on Ebay, and Egbert was selling them for nothing, but I ended up buying them for 3 times the price somewhere else, because I'd rather be caught dead than give my money to Egplant.  Like Adam said, it's all about principles.  And you, Mel, as a government employee and a lawyer, should set the example by staying clear from those people.

“The senses deceive from time to time, and it is prudent never to trust wholly those who have deceived us even once” (René Descartes)

T
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 11:37:48 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1009 on: July 29, 2011, 06:34:33 PM »
If you don't want to deal with bradburied/Randy/"The Prince of Darkness," Dan/Movie Poster Authentication is selling the last of his collection this week.  (He's been advertising it all over the other forums, so it's certainly no secret.)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1010 on: July 29, 2011, 06:44:16 PM »
Yup, $25 shipping prices and all!

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1011 on: July 29, 2011, 06:47:36 PM »
Yup, $25 shipping prices and all!

;D

I have a couple on my watch list.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1012 on: July 29, 2011, 06:50:12 PM »
He took down the one I wanted (rolled Woodstock advance) and admitted he was keeping it for himself.  Bastitch!

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1013 on: July 29, 2011, 06:59:25 PM »
If you don't want to deal with bradburied/Randy/"The Prince of Darkness," Dan/Movie Poster Authentication is selling the last of his collection this week.  (He's been advertising it all over the other forums, so it's certainly no secret.)

Now THAT was a good tip.  I kept missing Dan's stuff recently.

Regarding the other, I've bought from Bradburried, and from Loce and from Egbert.  I agree that they are shady, but I don't really care about the principles of dealing with them or not.  I leave those philosophical questions to those better qualified than me (or so they think ;-)  )  It's a personal choice - nothing more an nothing less.  Let's just make sure that the newcomers are informed of who these characters are and that they know to be extra careful by knowing exactly what they're buying and how to be sure of its authenticity BEFORE buying.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1014 on: July 29, 2011, 07:04:15 PM »
Now THAT was a good tip.  I kept missing Dan's stuff recently.

Regarding the other, I've bought from Bradburried, and from Loce and from Egbert.  I agree that they are shady, but I don't really care about the principles of dealing with them or not.  I leave those philosophical questions to those better qualified than me (or so they think ;-)  )  It's a personal choice - nothing more an nothing less.  Let's just make sure that the newcomers are informed of who these characters are and that they know to be extra careful by knowing exactly what they're buying and how to be sure of its authenticity BEFORE buying.

Edit:  And wouldn't you know there's not a damned thing I'm interested in - either have it or don't want it.  Boo hoo!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1015 on: July 31, 2011, 01:27:01 PM »
Most obnoxious and idiotic Ebay ad ever. It's for a 3 sheet Forbidden Planet:

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1016 on: July 31, 2011, 01:37:16 PM »
damn..to bad the auction isn't for the cat or else i would bid on it...its for a worthless Forbidden Planet 3 sheet...what a disappointment.  hitself

raulleaf

« Reply #1017 on: July 31, 2011, 01:57:30 PM »
You think it would be in a better frame for a 40k poster...

DreamWarrior

« Reply #1018 on: July 31, 2011, 02:44:26 PM »
EPIC FAIL! :P

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #1019 on: July 31, 2011, 03:20:10 PM »
ebay is full of epic fail
ebay breeds it like cockroaches on a trash can

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1020 on: July 31, 2011, 03:37:23 PM »
It's PURE GENIUS, I tell you!  I'm gonna sell my $40,000 insanely valuable poster by using a profane LOL cat!  Yeshhhh!

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #1021 on: August 03, 2011, 08:20:50 AM »
terrible movie, ugly poster, Id pay $10 max myself. good title but watch the movie and... die.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1022 on: August 03, 2011, 10:20:17 AM »
terrible movie, ugly poster, Id pay $10 max myself. good title but watch the movie and... die.

You talking about FORBIDDEN PLANET, Ari?
For shame.
 nono

Bruce

« Reply #1023 on: August 09, 2011, 04:18:24 PM »
Certainly this is an amazing poster, but it is UNBELIEVABLY incredible bad luck that if it had to have paper loss in a tiny area, it would happen right where it did!

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2264663

It will be interesting to see where it ends at!

Bruce
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 04:19:57 PM by Bruce »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1024 on: August 09, 2011, 04:32:38 PM »
Certainly this is an amazing poster, but it is UNBELIEVABLY incredible bad luck that if it had to have paper loss in a tiny area, it would happen right where it did!

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2264663

It will be interesting to see where it ends at!

Bruce

That is definitely a crazy rare poster Bruce... who consigned it?  Was it someone who worked for the studio?  Could it be a foreign issue (no rating)?  From the wear it sure looks like it part of a regular release and sat in a pile of other posters collecting dust and bugs for many years.

Its not my bag, but I'm sure the Star Wars completists will be fighting each other tooth and nail for it come 8pm CST!