Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2216413 times)

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #525 on: February 13, 2011, 06:14:03 PM »
It`s not even a nice cake.. $1000 dollars? jeez...

Stew

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #526 on: February 13, 2011, 06:15:44 PM »
I offered £500,000 for the Bride poster and he turned me down...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #527 on: February 13, 2011, 06:18:57 PM »
Ooops sorry I meant £50.00. The pic on the posters from Son of Frankenstein anyway. A 62 re-release, I have one for sale at £100,000 if anyone is interested. ;D
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #528 on: February 13, 2011, 06:20:34 PM »
(cough) mail sent Paul..

Stew

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #529 on: February 13, 2011, 06:22:22 PM »
This is one that I will never understand.  I know it's rare and all, but for all of you who actually display posters, would you honestly put this monstrosity up on the wall?  Would you?

That Star Wars Birthday Cake poster is insanely great.  All in the eye of the beholder, Mr. "I Own A Polish Coming To America" poster   :)

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #530 on: February 13, 2011, 06:24:30 PM »
That Star Wars Birthday Cake poster is insanely great.  All in the eye of the beholder, Mr. "I Own A Polish Coming To America" poster   :)

laugh1

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #531 on: February 13, 2011, 07:36:18 PM »
sad to say but I actually like the polish coming to america poster better than the SW cake.

Cj

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #533 on: February 13, 2011, 09:56:39 PM »
but its a "photo buster", it must be valuable.

Good spotting, I had glossed over that. Very funny

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #534 on: February 14, 2011, 12:32:29 AM »
"Eddie , what have you done for me lately ?!"

"Eddie , I know you.....Mr. F**k You Man....f**k YOU , Eddie !"

Dexter St. Jock  :D :P

velvet11

« Reply #535 on: February 14, 2011, 07:06:50 PM »
This is one that I will never understand.  I know it's rare and all, but for all of you who actually display posters, would you honestly put this monstrosity up on the wall?  Would you?

It's funny you say that because I actually have that poster hanging. I'm looking at it right now! I didn't pay near that much, though; more like $300 about 10 years ago.

A lot of the popularity of that poster (and hence the value) comes from the cross-over appeal to Star Wars toy collectors. I spent many years collecting toys, so that poster was a natural for me.

ron

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #536 on: February 14, 2011, 07:19:32 PM »
It's funny you say that because I actually have that poster hanging. I'm looking at it right now! I didn't pay near that much, though; more like $300 about 10 years ago.

More power to you. To each his own.

As Im NOT a Star Wars fan I wouldnt hang the cake but I hang up quite a few posters cats in here would refer to as monstrosities every few weeks when I rotate posters.  :P 8)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 07:55:52 PM by Zorba »

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #537 on: February 15, 2011, 02:39:57 PM »
This poster is blowing my mind right now, I love it.  It's just a bit over my price range on it though...if it were $13.5k, then I would be in business.

http://cgi.ebay.com/EX-LADY-Original-Movie-Poster-14X36-BETTE-DAVIS-/250773225226?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a633fbf0a
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #538 on: February 15, 2011, 03:23:02 PM »
This poster is blowing my mind right now, I love it.  It's just a bit over my price range on it though...if it were $13.5k, then I would be in business.

http://cgi.ebay.com/EX-LADY-Original-Movie-Poster-14X36-BETTE-DAVIS-/250773225226?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a633fbf0a

They have a few nice items, the Mind Reader half sheet and Back To Nature are great as well.

Ogami_Itto

« Reply #539 on: February 15, 2011, 04:57:08 PM »
the Ex lady is amazing! that is a hell of a price tag though.

they do have some good ones. your right about back to nature and mind reader. i like the mind reader insert a lot too.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #540 on: February 17, 2011, 11:15:18 AM »
The Uber-Matte Strikes Back!

http://cgi.ebay.com/STAR-WARS-ORIGINAL-MOVIE-POSTER-1977-STYLE-C-/300527462456?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f8d52838

This is hilarious...what could they be hiding? Hmmm...

Maybe they are the kind of folks who don't like subtitles in movies...just want to stare at the pretty pictures.  ;)
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Bruce

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #542 on: February 17, 2011, 11:53:58 PM »
you know, I believe Kubrick did all the still photography early in his career.. and the prices they sold for reflect something big

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #543 on: February 18, 2011, 12:31:08 AM »
you know, I believe Kubrick did all the still photography early in his career.. and the prices they sold for reflect something big

Really?  $525?  For stills that could have been re-printed any subsequent years?  I'm baffled.

My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #544 on: February 18, 2011, 12:48:29 AM »

He shot a bunch of magazine work in his early days:

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Kubrick-Shadows-Rainer-Crone/dp/0714844381/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1298008052&sr=1-4

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #545 on: February 18, 2011, 03:43:15 AM »
Really?  $525?  For stills that could have been re-printed any subsequent years?  I'm baffled.

Thierry, if you know stills and understand the paper etc, you know what originals are and what re-issues are and what restrikes are as well. Anyone can tell what a dupe is with just a little knowledge.

I have no doubt that the still Bruce sold are from the 1950s, but because the title is "Stanley Kubricks...." I doubt they are from the original release. They could even be as late as early 60s, but no later than that

also, seeing as Kubrick most likely did the photography, these stills are valued more for that reason than any other

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #546 on: February 21, 2011, 09:37:09 PM »

A lot of the popularity of that poster (and hence the value) comes from the cross-over appeal to Star Wars toy collectors. I spent many years collecting toys, so that poster was a natural for me.

ron

Exactly (about the toys I mean).
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #547 on: February 27, 2011, 02:21:29 PM »
The Uber-Matte Strikes Back!

http://cgi.ebay.com/STAR-WARS-ORIGINAL-MOVIE-POSTER-1977-STYLE-C-/300527462456?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f8d52838

This is hilarious...what could they be hiding? Hmmm...

Maybe they are the kind of folks who don't like subtitles in movies...just want to stare at the pretty pictures.  ;)

Too classic not to post:

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #548 on: March 01, 2011, 06:36:27 PM »
I wrote to this seller and asked about why the poster was covered by so much of the matte. Here was her reply to me:

yes i am very sorry about that it would of been a lot better if i would of taken the photo out of the frame, but if you like i can send you a picture with it out so you can check out the whole thing.
thanks for your interest

sara

i asked her to email me a pic of the poster out of the frame.. will see if she follows thru.

Jeff

-Jeff

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #549 on: March 01, 2011, 09:48:21 PM »
A Lucky Strike Pulp Fiction has been up for auction for a couple of weeks on Ebay.  The poster appears legit but the "hidden reserve" is bogus.  Might still be worth a shot if you're willing to play the seller's reserve game.  I paid $750 for mine and it's auctioned for $1500+ on the independent auction sites.