Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2213061 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #250 on: October 29, 2010, 10:46:38 PM »
Bruce.. my vote is a printing imperfection

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #251 on: October 30, 2010, 01:55:36 AM »
not trying to stir the pot here.. I just have an honest question Steve.

rather than post a message which indicates that Heritage has made a mistake of this nature, impuning their reputation in some way (either you're saying they aren't professional, aren't paying attention or are intentionally misrepresenting something), wouldn't it make sense to first email Grey Smith or Bruce Carteron for clarification??

to the point of your post: it doesn't look restored to me and could easily be a print imperfection.

Hi Rich,

About about 3 years ago I bought a poster from a Heritage quarterly major auction for $4000. The lot described as - Near Mint
except for a few pin holes. Once I received it, I took it straight to my restorer friend, as I do all my better poster acquisitions to kind of show them off and also for him to look over them. He spotted a hand sized area of restoration, completely repainted. Grey offered to take a look at it, though being in Australia and sending a linen backed 6 sheet back to the US for a look I thought was not worth the effort for no guarenteed results and possible more costs for me in having it returned to Australia (hundreds of dollars). I was already fuming over the telephone bidding I did for the poster. Even if Heritage took it back and gave a full refund, I would still be extremely annoyed that I was taken down the path from excitement to dissapointment and wasted time and hassle in between, because of a inaccurate initial condition inspection. So, for me, the point of this is, my confidence is dented with Heritage that they can spot damaged goods when they have the poster in front of them.

When I now look at Heritage posters I am interested in, I look extremely closely doing all the checks I can, crawling over the images.

I see no issue with asking opinion here before checking with Heritage. The auction is now live, they have done their assessments, their auctions are now open for public discussion. It could well be a perfectly fine poster. They are the professionals, I am not. If you guys think it is a faulty, then I am happy to let Heritage know. 

There is vertical dark banding in that section of the poster, something doesn't look right.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #252 on: October 30, 2010, 02:37:44 AM »
Steve.. I can appreciate the ire, re: the 6sheet issue. However, for one thing, when someone tells me "near mint ON LINEN".. that makes me pause personally as I think being on linen is a defect to begin with, presuming the poster was previously in nm condition. I would have returned it myself, and had Heritage pay 2-way freight costs, and moved on. Every last deal can't be perfect, though you can do your best as a seller or buyer to try to make it so.

I do not usually record specific defects when I create listings (not possible with just myself & my secretary). But I do provide a great pic that helps buyers as I don't want to have to take returns if I can't help it. It would mean I wasted some time involved, and I have precious little time to waste.

Grey Smith is a great guy and I think he does the best job he can, but lots of work is farmed out to other employees of Heritage and help or no, we all make some mistakes. Bruce makes some too, but he asks for help when he makes a mistake so he can correct it. That's what is required.

Once in a while, I'll buy a pair of shoes or a kitchen item like a toaster oven - and I'm not happy with it. So I go back to the store & return it. It wasted some of my time yes. But what I can do is my best to make sure I have to do something like that as rarely as possible, so it only becomes an occasional inconvenience. You can't please everyone all of the time, but if you can 95 times out of 100 (or 99 times out of 100), you're doing pretty well.

I would like to think if I made a mistake, like missing a grade, or a piece of tape or a re-issue date, that someone would be kind enough to tell me so I can correct it - rather than embarrass me in public. I think it's the courteous thing to do.

Concerning the poster. If Grey or Bruce personally graded the poster and did not notice the defect, well, that's a boner. If one of their untalented helpers made the mistake. It's still a boner for Grey or Bruce (meaning Carteron). But it isn't a life altering issue. If they refused to deal with it - that IS a life altering issue. I recently won a poster from Bruce. After the auction, I realized his description had a defect (re-issue noted as original release). Fortunately, we unwound it prior to my even paying for it, it was no problem, he resold the poster and it went for the right price, and I did not bid that time. I did waste time waiting for the auction that day & spending time bidding and then spending time locating information. It was no big deal to me. But I'm a very pragmatic individual

everyone does not share my pragmatism, or my patience (with everything but assholes)

we do not live in a perfect world.. if we did.. Brude would be a Democrat

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #253 on: October 30, 2010, 02:39:14 AM »
by the way.. the poster is noted as NM on linen right?
Is there a fold in the spot you think is iffy??
if the area was restored, don't you think they'd have Jaime do a better job than that??

I still think it's a printing imperfection

-------

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #254 on: October 30, 2010, 06:44:40 AM »
I would like to think if I made a mistake, like missing a grade, or a piece of tape or a re-issue date, that someone would be kind enough to tell me so I can correct it - rather than embarrass me in public. I think it's the courteous thing to do.

You know Rich from a post I made yesterday, just a few days earlier I let Jim Dietz know of a likely error in his auction so he could investigate and correct it first. This was indeed being courteous.

I don't know if this Heritage item is a 'mistake', that is why I am asking you guys for your opinion. No one here appears to be saying it is damaged. To me it looks odd, so I asked. That is what is good about a forum - being provided other opinions. Maybe I should have worded my original post differently, something like 'Does this look normal?'... I dunno, bah...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #255 on: October 30, 2010, 08:43:04 AM »
by the way.. the poster is noted as NM on linen right?
Is there a fold in the spot you think is iffy??
if the area was restored, don't you think they'd have Jaime do a better job than that??

I still think it's a printing imperfection

I think HA stopped using NM or M ratings on linen backed posters. The poster in question is graded VF+... Which is the highest grade an backed poster can get. However, I'm not sure if backed posters with this grade (VF+) encompasses both NM posters put to linen with no restoration and/or true VF+ posters put to linen with minor restoration....

Bruce

« Reply #256 on: October 30, 2010, 09:06:28 AM »
One thing is for sure, not all condition grades are the same!

I'll stack my "very good" against many other people's "very fine" any day.

sm1 sm1 sm1

Bruce

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #257 on: October 30, 2010, 11:32:26 AM »
we do not live in a perfect world.. if we did.. Brude would be a Democrat

Huh?
We surround you.
Tidal wave Tuesday is a-comin'....  woohoo

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #258 on: October 30, 2010, 12:09:08 PM »
Commenting on media's coverage of Michelle Obama:

"She's got to [prove her patriotism]! She's a Democrat. She must prove she loves America, as opposed to Republicans who everyone knooows love America. They just hate half the people living in it."

- Jon Stewart

• Post-aholic
« Reply #259 on: October 30, 2010, 02:38:06 PM »
You know Rich from a post I made yesterday, just a few days earlier I let Jim Dietz know of a likely error in his auction so he could investigate and correct it first. This was indeed being courteous.
I don't know if this Heritage item is a 'mistake', that is why I am asking you guys for your opinion. No one here appears to be saying it is damaged. To me it looks odd, so I asked. That is what is good about a forum - being provided other opinions. Maybe I should have worded my original post differently, something like 'Does this look normal?'... I dunno, bah...

yes Steve.. it's all in the wording.. "Possible unreported restoration" has an unseemly aspect to it, whereas "does this look like...." is far more magnanimous

also,I let Jim Dietz know of a likely error what you mean is "possible error". there is a difference

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #260 on: October 30, 2010, 02:41:24 PM »
One thing is for sure, not all condition grades are the same!
I'll stack my "very good" against many other people's "very fine" any day.
Bruce

usually true Bruce.. your grading is pretty tight, in the upper grades for certain, though sometimes I get a poster from you in a lower grade that I may not agree with, or not expecting as much tape on the back as it sounds like.
Heritage definitely can be all over the place on grading, which obviously says different people are doing the grading and teaching people how to grade is one of the big problems in hobbying.

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #261 on: October 30, 2010, 02:43:58 PM »
Huh?
We surround you.
Tidal wave Tuesday is a-comin'

LOL.. I wonder what's in the water in NY state.. I hear that phrase from New Yorkers, which says it's being used up there.

Seriously though Brude.. do you really think Carl Palladino will be good for NY? or O'Donnell would be good for Delaware? I know that Sharon Angle would be a disaster for Nevada.. All three of them are completely nuts. Rand Paul too.. Nuts

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #262 on: October 30, 2010, 02:53:15 PM »
LOL.. I wonder what's in the water in NY state.. I hear that phrase from New Yorkers, which says it's being used up there.

Seriously though Brude.. do you really think Carl Palladino will be good for NY? or O'Donnell would be good for Delaware? I know that Sharon Angle would be a disaster for Nevada.. All three of them are completely nuts. Rand Paul too.. Nuts

C'mon Rich. Typical libs resort to name calling when they're losing.  I don't think you're typical.
Nevada leads in unemployment, bankruptcy and foreclosures...
I think Harry Reid and his tampered touch screen voting machines are destined for Yucca Flats...  spew

And we should take this to Let it Out...

• Post-aholic
« Reply #263 on: October 30, 2010, 03:11:24 PM »
And we should take this to Let it Out...

head over

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #264 on: November 01, 2010, 12:19:34 AM »
The auctioneers continue to miss this video sheet - I reported it and it will disappear - AGAIN!

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #265 on: November 01, 2010, 02:55:23 AM »
You are very quick Mel, reviewing just 12 minutes into the start of the new weekly auction. That is keen!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #266 on: November 01, 2010, 04:06:51 AM »
You are very quick Mel, reviewing just 12 minutes into the start of the new weekly auction. That is keen!

no kidding Steve.. obviously he was spending more money online as soon as he got back from NYC after spending other money. Anyone who spends as much money as he is must live with his parents.

wynk

-------

Bruce

« Reply #267 on: November 01, 2010, 07:36:34 AM »
I just don't get the repeating "mistakes". In our auctions whenever someone notifies us of an error, we not only fix or end the auction, we ALSO make a note of exactly what was done wrong in our database, and then that note pops up the next time we list that poster, and if the describer has any competence, they don't make the error again.

Bruce

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #268 on: November 01, 2010, 10:02:57 AM »
Anyone who spends as much money as he is must live with his parents.

I wish - the parental support well ran dry half a lifetime ago when I graduated from college! (Damn I'm getting old!)

I did spend a good bit last week but I'm sure I could at least double my money if I consigned everything I bought, most of which is ridiculously rare.  A (presumably) original Pulp Fiction withdrawn OS for $750?  The last one sold at Heritage in 2007 for $1550.   Nowadays, no dealer is willing to part with it for less than $1500.  Also, I got two unreleased Grindhouse one sheets for $30 each.  No way I could lose money on those.  

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #269 on: November 01, 2010, 10:24:59 AM »
I did spend a good bit last week but I'm sure I could at least double my money if I consigned everything I bought, most of which is ridiculously rare.  A (presumably) original Pulp Fiction withdrawn OS for $750?  Also, I got two unreleased Grindhouse one sheets for $30 each.  No way I could lose money on those.  

$810?  See, I was shooting low at $450-600...  wynk

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #270 on: November 01, 2010, 12:52:58 PM »
I just don't get the repeating "mistakes". In our auctions whenever someone notifies us of an error, we not only fix or end the auction, we ALSO make a note of exactly what was done wrong in our database, and then that note pops up the next time we list that poster, and if the describer has any competence, they don't make the error again.

Bruce

Would you do that for a description of an actor also?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #271 on: November 01, 2010, 01:42:00 PM »
Question for the field:

Are the combined auctions being held during the next weeks the greatest ever auctions during a two week period?  They are certainly the best I've seen for such a period.

The signature auctions (Frankenstein, King Kong) at Heritage are insane and the Halloween auctions at Emovie (great horror stuff on Tuesday, ET & Star Wars printers proofs on Thursday) are extraordinary too.

(Un?)fortunately, I'm mostly tapped out and a couple of must-have items have popped up on regular auctions, so I'll mostly be out of the fight in both, not that I really could have contended for the top pieces.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #272 on: November 01, 2010, 03:54:48 PM »
Try to find a catalog for the 1997 Christie's auction (The Sheik on the cover)... I believe Bruce conducted that one. 

A few horror highlights:
Frankenstein Teaser (monster is loose!)
King Kong Lobby set
Bride of Franky jumbo window
Son of Franky 6-sheet
Franky meets Wolfman 1
The Wolfman 1
Frankenstein R47 1
Son of Dracula 1
House of Dracula 1
Mummy's Tomb 1
Mummy's Ghost 1
etc...

Tons of early cinema:
The General 3-sheet
Dog's Life 6-sheet
The Tramp 3-sheet
Gold Rush 6-sheet
The Kid 3-sheet
City Lights 3-sheet
Modern Times 6-sheet
Safety Last 6-sheet
2 different Birth of a Nation 1 sheets
3 different The Sheik 1 sheets
Fairbanks Robin Hood 1 and Thief of Baghdad 1
Oregon Trail 1
I'm a Fugitive from the Chain Gang 6-sheet
All Quiet on the Western Front 3-sheet
and TONS more...

In the last few pages are 'small auctions' (probably equivalent to day-3 internet only auctions at HA today!):
All About Eve Door Panel set
Godzilla 3-sheet
Creature from Black Lagoon
Day the Earth Stood Still
Forbidden Planet
and on and on and on...

I'm sure there are other big auctions we internet-age folks can only dream of...

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #273 on: November 01, 2010, 05:01:08 PM »
For just 1.9 mil you could own "the greatest movie poster collection available anywhere"

http://cgi.ebay.com/GREATEST-MOVIE-POSTER-COLLECTION-AVAILABLE-ANYWHERE-/390248691505?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5adca27731

Hey Bruce, what do you think ebay's take home on this auction would be?
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #274 on: November 01, 2010, 05:10:05 PM »
For just 1.9 mil you could own "the greatest movie poster collection available anywhere"

http://cgi.ebay.com/GREATEST-MOVIE-POSTER-COLLECTION-AVAILABLE-ANYWHERE-/390248691505?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5adca27731

Hey Bruce, what do you think ebay's take home on this auction would be?

"0" because it won't sell.  Let's see, six 24sh and a standee for 1.9M.  To make the math easier for me, that would be 300K per 24sh & 100K for the standee.  Sounds reasonable  laugh1