Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2216422 times)

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #6175 on: November 06, 2014, 10:52:00 AM »
I think the new generation of collectors cant connect with a lot of these films and look at art, look, displayability (e.g size) and other factors before buying based on having an affiliation to the movie.  That genre is great and a lot of posters are amazing, but not valuable only for the sake of being from "that genre."  I also dont agree with Rich entirely that the hobby is not growing but there are as many big guns as ever - that statement seems contradictory. As the population grows, so does the number of people buying posters, or toasters for that matter.  
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 10:52:39 AM by Crazy Vick »

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #6176 on: November 06, 2014, 05:01:14 PM »
The hobby is in decline as far as number of collectors. It is all paper collectibles, not just posters.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #6177 on: November 06, 2014, 05:23:31 PM »
So what is taking over the fashion of posters or paper collectibles?  What is attracting the collectors?

I only ask as a collector, collects.  If this person, who exhibits the collecting gene, decides to venture outside the reservation, then that is because something else is attracting his attention.  What is that?  Or, what are they?

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #6178 on: November 06, 2014, 05:26:04 PM »
So what is taking over the fashion of posters or paper collectibles?  What is attracting the collectors?

I only ask as a collector, collects.  If this person, who exhibits the collecting gene, decides to venture outside the reservation, then that is because something else is attracting his attention.  What is that?  Or, what are they?

Thimbles pretty tiny porcelain thimbles.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 05:28:34 PM by Undead »
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6179 on: November 06, 2014, 05:27:33 PM »
I have it on good authority that teapots are making a comeback, too.  Doh.gif

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #6180 on: November 06, 2014, 05:49:45 PM »
The hobby is in decline as far as number of collectors. It is all paper collectibles, not just posters.

100% correct

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6181 on: November 06, 2014, 05:54:45 PM »
So what is taking over the fashion of posters or paper collectibles?  What is attracting the collectors?

I only ask as a collector, collects.  If this person, who exhibits the collecting gene, decides to venture outside the reservation, then that is because something else is attracting his attention.  What is that?  Or, what are they?

nothing
the new generations aren't collectors as we were when we were their age in part because they aren't interested in history and artistic endeavor is decreasing in our population in favor of the Faux-celebrity trend that works it's way down to school age children and teens as "I have the new iPhone.. I'm the celebrity in class the next 3 days"

they buy expensive sneakers and new tablets instead of when we bought comics & posters & actual record albums.

other than these expensive toys, they want free stuff.. like all the music they don't pay royalties for

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Mirosae

« Reply #6182 on: November 07, 2014, 09:28:28 AM »
nothing
the new generations aren't collectors as we were when we were their age in part because they aren't interested in history and artistic endeavor is decreasing in our population in favor of the Faux-celebrity trend that works it's way down to school age children and teens as "I have the new iPhone.. I'm the celebrity in class the next 3 days"

they buy expensive sneakers and new tablets instead of when we bought comics & posters & actual record albums.

other than these expensive toys, they want free stuff.. like all the music they don't pay royalties for

A very nihilistic view of the new generations Rich...

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #6183 on: November 07, 2014, 10:23:06 AM »
A very nihilistic view of the new generations Rich...
Agree 100%.
Step 1 Take a $400 tablet
Step 2 Put it next to a $400 pile of comic books
Step 3 Evaluate

I think Rich you are comparing apples and oranges. Of course "kids today" are into what they are - the items they seek out are the comic books and hockey cards of the present era.  The only reason you can say you collected historical items is because those items are now old, and so are you.  Some people actually collect vintage sneakers etc (like Nike Air Jordans from the 90s)  Its all relative.

Another thing is that poeple who are not established today simply can't afford the outrageous prices we attribute to our "true historical collections" They also have shit prospects for jobs down the road. Why collect anything that won't help me get ahead? Why pay for my music only to support the 1%?  So, which generation is the most materialistic again?

guest4669

« Reply #6184 on: November 07, 2014, 12:20:31 PM »

That sounds like good news for me, as somebody who is new to collecting film posters.

Offline lynaron

• Collector
« Reply #6185 on: November 07, 2014, 05:01:31 PM »
I agree with Rich about the drop in Uni and 50s horror.  I've picked up three 40s Uni cards, MUMMY'S CURSE TC, FRANK MEETS WOLF and HOUSE OF FRANK monster cards for maybe 40% less than I would have forked out a couple of years ago and a complete CURSE OF THE DEMON set at what I consider a fire sale price.  But, I've never bought a single piece of paper with investment or resell in mind. If I gots the loot, I'll spend it on something I'll enjoy on a daily basis.  Fool and his money, sure why not? So a drop in prices is okay by me.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 05:02:21 PM by lynaron »
I'll raise a glass to the illusion but drink to the reality.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6186 on: November 07, 2014, 05:10:44 PM »
I agree with Rich about the drop in Uni and 50s horror.  I've picked up three 40s Uni cards, MUMMY'S CURSE TC, FRANK MEETS WOLF and HOUSE OF FRANK monster cards for maybe 40% less than I would have forked out a couple of years ago and a complete CURSE OF THE DEMON set at what I consider a fire sale price.  But, I've never bought a single piece of paper with investment or resell in mind. If I gots the loot, I'll spend it on something I'll enjoy on a daily basis.  Fool and his money, sure why not? So a drop in prices is okay by me.

and what you would have paid 2 years ago was less than what they would have sold for 2 years earlier
but it isn't just Unihorror

it goes throughout the hobby from old to modern and in every genre. I only mentioned horror/sci-fi because we just saw a load sell and the results on 90% or more was indicative of considerable devaluation of the material.

-------

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #6187 on: November 07, 2014, 08:07:00 PM »
nothing

Hmm.  Ok, you grabbed my attention with this comment.  But not in a positive way.  It does exhibit the most sweeping of misplaced generalisations.

If one accepts that a certain percentage of the population 'collects', and that the population, worldwide, increases, then that would assume the number of collectors is increasing.  So, if they are understood to Not be looking at posters (in the most intra niche forms of assessment possible), then this would still suggest the collectors are collecting elsewhere.

A person who buys the latest in something (sneakers / tablets) is so totally not the same person who collects genres, sets, artefacts, history, art.  He may do it as well as, but not instead of.  So I think my question still stands.  If not posters, then what?

My mother is hugely into antiques, but she accepts that what she bought 20 years ago will fetch only a fraction of what she bought it for.  She knows and understands that there is an element of fashion, even amongst the old and used.  But she notes the sway in her particular field.  I am not sure that what the dealers are experiencing is anything other than an economic decline the world over for superfluous spending.

Happy to be proved wrong, but not with 'early adopters' arguments.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6188 on: November 07, 2014, 08:28:27 PM »
the largest paper hobby there is, is comic books
the population there is decreasing fast and the best example there is of that is that 20 years ago there were almost 15,000 comic stores in America and now there are est 1/10 that number.
Readership of new comics is the lowest in comics history and 1/4 the size of comics readership of 20 years ago.

during WW2, Walt Disney's Comics and Stories sold 4 million copies a month. That's one comic title, one issue. If you add up all the comics by all publishers this month, they are only est 5million copies for 450+/- titles (and that does count all the small published comics that only get 1500 copies. if we cut out 3rd world publishers, you are well below 4 million comics).. oh.. every month for the past 48 months recorded, comics readership has declined. Last month was a 4% decline for September year over year

conventions are decreasing, prices are falling.. exactly why do yu think these numbers are headed in that direction?
this is hardly a situation unique to comics or posters. Every dealer I know in every collectible field says the same thing.
baseball cards
toys
magazine collectors
pulp magazine collectors
Political button collectors
postcard collectors

oh.. even video game collectors and you would think this area would be increasing

as to available cash for collectibles.
Heritage makes more money every year. Sotheby's, Christie's.. The big auction houses are doing great!
so is Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills

Wal Mart.. not so much. it doesn't take much to understand why - the 1% gets and keeps the money. They are the people driving the profitable markets, but they are still only buying certain stuff and last week, it certainly wasn't Unihorror or 1950s horror/sci-fi!

back to comics, let me explain what's going on there
the things that the 1% buy.. increasing. but what they buy is less than 1% of the market by quantity. There are only so many Frank Miller or Jack Kirby pages available
the rest of the market is retreating. Price Guide means nothing as 90% of what is in there is selling well below guide except in the peak grades

to examine the market (whatever market), you have to disassociate yourself from emotion and look at it from a purely economic position.
My statement that hobbying for movie posters or comics or baseball or whatever is a spot-on analysis of the market. Rosy glasses be damned

-------

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #6189 on: November 07, 2014, 08:44:52 PM »
Thanks for the response fella.  Lots of information in there to consider.

I must admit to being completely out of my depth on almost all of what you cite.  I am not a dealer so I bow to your knowledge.  However, talking about all the other industries outside of cinema posters is a bit tough to consume.

Surely the number of comic stores is declining, as is almost every other type of store for New stuff.  This sort of product will no doubt be consumed and sold almost entirely online.  I believe what might be discussed here is the antique poster.  Not the latest in Harry Potter or whatever other teenybop movie produces the latest in headshot poster design.

A long term collector may or may not look for the above type of poster, but the backbone of his collecting will be the art / antique / historical - which for the most part is what this forum is all about.

So, again, if the collectors of things heritage are not collecting posters, then their collecting habits must be sated elsewhere - economic conditions notwithstanding.  So, Where?  (if anywhere)

My argument is based on the character of a collector.  There is just something about this character that will not stop collecting.  If something dies in one respect, it will flare up in another.  Posters to stamps to keyrings to teapots.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6190 on: November 07, 2014, 09:07:55 PM »
there will always be collectors of some sort, but collecting starts with nostalgia and combines with history
when I was a kid, I knew when the civil war was and who George Washington was.
when I was a kid in the 1960s, I could tell you about comic strips from 1910.
But I could also tell you all about Greek and Roman mythology, what WW2 was about and why it was 2
etc
etc

but here, I'll throw it into someone else's court.. Please.. tell us what young folks "collect" today
I'd like to know

-------

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #6191 on: November 07, 2014, 10:07:52 PM »
collecting starts with nostalgia and combines with history

Yes it does.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6192 on: November 07, 2014, 10:30:11 PM »
I meant to include this video with my post

« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 10:30:50 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #6193 on: November 07, 2014, 11:24:10 PM »
I meant to include this video with my post

Zoinks.  faint2.gif

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6194 on: November 07, 2014, 11:24:47 PM »

but here, I'll throw it into someone else's court.. Please.. tell us what young folks "collect" today
I'd like to know

STDs
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6195 on: November 07, 2014, 11:44:56 PM »
Studs are popular... or so i've been told.

-Jeff

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #6196 on: November 07, 2014, 11:51:04 PM »
Zoinks.  faint2.gif

;D

Need more under 30s voting for sure! 

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6197 on: November 08, 2014, 12:41:10 AM »
This is pretty darn cool... what the seller describes as a possible French herald, which measures 10.5 x 14.5 inches when folded... and 21x 21.8 inches when unfolded-- and which has a poster-like image on the inside, for Dracula, released in France, in January 1932. I dont recall seeing other material from France, from the first release. And i think the fold out poster image is  bed1

Link: French Dracula Herald or Advert Booklet

BIN: $8500.00 / OBO

« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 12:45:32 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6198 on: November 08, 2014, 12:48:42 AM »
Hmmm...the rather bland colours might suggest it is from the '38 re-release?  Just guessing...

Still very nice
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6199 on: November 08, 2014, 12:55:06 AM »
French pressbook and could very well be first release

great item

-------