Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2217101 times)

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #6025 on: August 30, 2014, 07:48:35 AM »
http://movieposters.ha.com/itm/james-bond/dr-no-united-artists-1962-cgc-graded-lobby-card-11-x-14-james-bond/a/161433-53152.s#Photo

CGC graded lobby card?  Is that a new thing?  I don't normally collect lobby cards, but I have to admit that this is the first one I have seen graded like a comic book.  Do collectors find there is value in getting a lobby card graded?  Is this the beginning of this for movie material?

For me, I don't think I would pay extra because it's graded, and posters as large as one-sheet size would be hard to encapsulate.  However, I was just curious of other's opinions?

(oops. Sorry. I guess this should have been in post auction analysis)  :-[
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 07:55:48 AM by jpicken »

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #6026 on: August 30, 2014, 10:58:31 AM »
They have been around for a few years now, to me it looked like Heritage had a deal with them to try to get the slabbing of lobby cards off the ground.

I don't trust these "graders" one bit. There is a baseball card graders/slabbers PSA who gave a T-206 Honus Wagner card am 8 (NM-MT) grade and it was owned by Wayne Gretzky and Bruce McNall and sold at Sotheby's in their first huge baseball memorabilia sale and sold a few times after for even more crazy $$$. Funny thing is, the guy who originally sold the card, Bill Mastro, admitted in court he had trimmed the card and PSA either never picked up on it or since the owners where who they were just turned a blind eye.

http://www.cardboardconnection.com/bill-mastro-pleads-guilty-t206-honus-wagner-trimmed

My father also belonds to an old time baseball card forum and there have been people on there who have sent cards in to PSA for grading, got them back, took them out of the slabbing and sent them back numerous times and they came back with different grades each time.

I think it's a scam.

Mirosae

« Reply #6027 on: August 30, 2014, 03:00:01 PM »
^Thanks Louie, this is very helpful. I admit I too found this CGC grading a novelty.

Your link makes quite an interesting reading!

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #6028 on: August 30, 2014, 04:53:08 PM »
Mastro Auctions was a group of thieves and far from an anomaly

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #6029 on: August 30, 2014, 05:52:59 PM »
Mastro Auctions was a group of thieves and far from an anomaly

I'll agree with that!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6030 on: August 30, 2014, 06:20:05 PM »
Just an observation here---

For such an early film, it's amazing how often material for this shows up, either on auction sites, or ebay. And the poster items are usually in very good condition. The film is The Green Eyed Monster (1919). Right now, another 6 sheet is being offered on ebay, with a BIN of $2310.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-GREEN-EYED-MONSTER-Jack-1919-MOVIE-POSTER-120879-/151202303709?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23345c0edd

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6031 on: August 30, 2014, 06:36:23 PM »
one of a number of different posters where it is obvious stacks of undistributed posters have been found. There are quite a few different titles of this nature

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6032 on: September 01, 2014, 03:06:05 PM »
Thanks a lot for outing this auction asshole! 

;D

rofl1

Bruce must be getting bored with posters...
Chris

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #6033 on: September 02, 2014, 10:55:59 AM »
I would guess they are Bruce's, and he is losing them!
-Jay-

Mirosae

« Reply #6034 on: September 02, 2014, 01:09:13 PM »
 ;D

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6035 on: September 03, 2014, 05:47:52 PM »

-------

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #6036 on: September 03, 2014, 05:54:36 PM »
wow.. I don't usually out auctions, but I had to post this one fo rsure

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Houdini-King-Of-Cards-Poster-Lobby-card-size-/261582948224?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ce78f0780

For $20 bucks?  I'm in ... er.... I mean I'm there...  Whatever....
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6037 on: September 05, 2014, 02:53:29 PM »
Looks to be another Portal Publications poster being offered on ebay. The seller describes it as a WC in her heading, but the 19x28 inch size of what should be a full size OS, is the giveaway.

It's for the 1918 film, Good Night Paul, with Constance Talmadge.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-Original-Antique-1918-LOBBY-CARD-Silent-MOVIE-POSTER-Good-Night-Paul-/321512213880?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

I wrote the seller and explained what she has. Emovie also sold on in 2012, and I sent her that link, as well. Now to see if the description and opening bid price changes (or not).  dontknow.gif

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #6038 on: September 05, 2014, 02:59:36 PM »
 :-\

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6039 on: September 06, 2014, 04:53:33 PM »
The Portal seller I mentioned above has fallen silent. Up until i messaged and gave her that last info, she replied back to my previous questions very quickly. So going mum is very telling, IMO.

And i just checked the auction page and all the info has remained unchanged.  eyeroll

Let's hope no one gets snookered.

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6040 on: September 06, 2014, 06:48:36 PM »
I stopped bothering with this crap years ago. Once in a while the person believes you, most of the time they don't trust you, thinking you're trying to pull some woll over their eyes. This piece has been listed for months and will continue to be listed and unsold until someone who doesn't know anything & isn't a collector buys it.. that's life. I can't protect everyone, just those who come through my circle

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6041 on: September 06, 2014, 08:44:53 PM »
The only wool being pulled now, is by that seller. As mentioned, I sent her a link to one that measures the same size, that emovie sold, so she didnt think I was just blowing smoke. She has the facts and now fell silent, knowing the truth about what she is selling.

And i hear you, rich... im not trying to protect everyone, either. Just a little alert to those that will read this thread.   ;)

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #6042 on: September 06, 2014, 09:11:23 PM »
The Portal seller I mentioned above has fallen silent. Up until i messaged and gave her that last info, she replied back to my previous questions very quickly. So going mum is very telling, IMO.

And i just checked the auction page and all the info has remained unchanged.  eyeroll

Let's hope no one gets snookered.

How about this piece of shit seller....  here was the first listing:  ORIGINAL LISTING: GOLDFINGER 1964 U.S. 1 sheet near mint! James Bond 007

I kindly pointed out that it is in fact *not* a first release poster from 1964, but that it's one of the 1980s re-release posters.  I pointed him to the authentication page and told him you can tell by the placement of the title.  No response.  I check a day later and the item was relisted -- now with a stock photo of a 1964 poster and he removed his photo of the title block on his 80s re-release poster!   

gun1 gun1 gun1 gun1

NEW LISTING: GOLDFINGER 1964 U.S. 1 sheet near mint! James Bond 007

I normally would say don't bother, but in this case y'all should bombard him with nasty messages with links to his previous auction photos!  I already did!  What a f#@ker. 

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6043 on: September 07, 2014, 01:37:26 AM »
Does it really surprise you when he cannot even spell "Goliath" correctly?
Chris

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6044 on: September 09, 2014, 07:32:14 PM »
$107 so far for this beauty.

This hobby will never cease to surprise me.

T
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 07:32:37 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #6045 on: September 09, 2014, 08:21:43 PM »
The wear and tear adds character to it.  8)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6046 on: September 09, 2014, 08:26:27 PM »
The wear and tear adds character to it.  8)

Seriously though, if this was in my collection, it would go straight to the trash.  I have trashed lots of better looking posters, which makes me wonder how much money I have wasted.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #6047 on: September 09, 2014, 09:51:59 PM »
Seriously though, if this was in my collection, it would go straight to the trash.  I have trashed lots of better looking posters, which makes me wonder how much money I have wasted.

T

;D

Wish I had the chance to dumpster dive.

I did worse in my first year than $107 but at least not on anything that bad.

Havent bought much lately but I have still been entertained greatly.

This is the best hobby ever. Too bad you need money to play  :P

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6048 on: September 09, 2014, 10:38:58 PM »
;D

Wish I had the chance to dumpster dive.

I did worse in my first year than $107 but at least not on anything that bad.

Havent bought much lately but I have still been entertained greatly.

This is the best hobby ever. Too bad you need money to play  :P

Yeah.. i hear you Z. But every now and then, something squeaks by that may not have cost an arm and a leg, right?   Doh.gif

-Jeff

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #6049 on: September 09, 2014, 10:46:46 PM »

T

Without doubt, a pile of money.  Just because you think it's trash doesn't make it so. 

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.